IGNORED

Media Psychos Psycho Challenge! NEW: CHALLENGE 38 IS NOW LIVE!

extantsrevenge

Apologies for the long absence from these challenges! I was unable to fulfill all the requirements for Challenge 18. Although I do have a ton of merchandise tied to specific franchises and films, most of what I have is JUST for those franchises and, unfortunately, those number less than five lol. So, onward to...

CHALLENGE 19 - Through the Decades - A cinematic Journey.

While these films are by no means intended to represent the entire decade in which they were released, they are nevertheless significant to me for various reasons.

Jaws (70s) - the OG creature feature, IMHO, which defied all expectations even though the audience never sees the creature for most of the movie. And that soundtrack....

A Nightmare on Elm Street (80s) - still remains to this day the only film franchise to ever truly "scare" me, and by far one of my favorites of the genre.

Jurassic Park (90s) - one of the first films I can remember seeing in the theaters, and one I was the most excited to see. I have vivid memories of catching the theatrical trailer on television and running into the kitchen to tell my mom we NEEDED to go see it. I was 11 when this movie was released.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2000s) - everybody knows why this one is on the list lol. Truly a epic masterpiece of cinematic history.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2010s) - by far the best of the sequel trilogy, TFA represents the beginning of the end of the franchise responsible for my dive down the rabbit hole of science fiction & fantasy.

20230205_112316.thumb.jpg.1397f94e0e617f42a97bf42a4a4ecfc9.jpg20230205_105337.thumb.jpg.072193335423f5937ebd5e99472338e3.jpg20230205_105407.thumb.jpg.6bed91b5796535393cdcdfac8e18697c.jpg20230205_105538.thumb.jpg.9c9a9aa1f908953fcd4be1880841bd92.jpg20230205_105554.thumb.jpg.db10e3e135123d4808122b61002d27b9.jpg

I didn't really start collecting movies in the truest sense until I found my first steelbook in early 2018. But with the rise of streaming and the whole move away from physical media the industry seems to be pushing, my collection has only grown and grown significantly at that.

My favorite decade for movies is probably the 2000s. I'm an early 80s baby, so I didn't really care about anything until the 90s and then really into the turn of the century, when movie technology really took off. Some of favorite movies were released this decade and thereafter. 

• Like 18

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here’s my list. I have chosen one of my favorite movies from each decade. 

1900s - A Trip To The Moon (1902)

1910s - The Immigrant (1917)

1920s - The General (1927)

1930s - Modern Times (1936)

1940s - The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)

1950s - The Thing From Another World (1951)

1960s - Django (1966)

1970s - Duel (1971)

1980s - WarGames (1983)

1990s - Groundhog Day (1993)

2000s - O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)

2010s - Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

2020s - Top Gun: Maverick (2022)

Edited by Starman
  • Like 13

Awards

Challenge #20, thank you Nils @extantsrevenge for this 20th challenge, it gave me the opportunity to open a few boxes of DVDs tidy in my garage, I thought for a moment that I had films without blu ray release without difficulty, but  to my great astonishment, most of these were entitled to a Blu-ray release except for my first on the list, namely

187, a brilliant film, I recommend it to all those who do not know it, a great life lesson  then the versions I would like to see released in 4K sixth sense, Phone booth

changing lanes

Frequency

Assault on Precinct 13

for the second part, I would like to have a steelbook release for these films, there are many others as well which would deserve such a delay from a studio but the current context and the few years remaining for the survival of the physical format will be right  all these hostage films, I can see this poster of the film in glossy steelbook with a debossed red title, that would be nice, Alexandre should also have a beautiful steelbook edition with golden letters, Las Vegas 21 with beautiful embossed poker cards on  metal, Swatt should have a steelbook to honor this elite team and finally, one of my favorite films, Storm, a super steelbook from Blufans with a competition glossy and a nice movie poster on the front would be nice

20230205_220717.jpg

20230205_220753.jpg

• Like 18

vor 13 Stunden schrieb javi:

challenge #19

...uff.... that's a hard one, because there are soooooo many great movies...

... I've decided to choose five movies, that had an impact on my life (when I watched them for the first time!) and are bounded with some nice and bad memories and also some, that I didn't showed you 10181 times before in the other challenges. ;)

1. ...70's

The Getaway

- Cool & sexy!

This thriller is just perfect!

I love the story and adore the ending!

2. ...80's

Blue Thunder

- watched it for the first time, when I was a kid and it was the first time I saw something that thrilling! 🤣

And it still works today! :)

3. ...90's

Point Break

- watched it in France and started surfing myself the next day! 🤣

Still one of the best action movies of the 90's and it's directed by a woman, so a lots of men, in that business had to bow! ;)

4. ...2000's

Blood Work

- BIG FAN OF CLINT EASTWOOD, but didn't expect that kind of a story!

For me, that's one of his best movies!

5. ...2010's

Warrior

- didn't saw that coming!

This movie is a great drama with outstanding performances of Nick Nolte, Joel Edgerton and Tom Hardy.

The scene, when the father is drunk and talks to his "lost" son - well, where is an Oscar, if you really need one?!

IMG_20230205_083057.jpg

IMG_20230205_083218.jpg

IMG_20230205_083038.jpg

IMG_20230205_083147.jpg

IMG_20230205_083117.jpg

As I could not change my post...

the additional Infos...

- My most favourite cinematic decade:

The 80's!

sexy jennifer beals GIF

- when I started collecting movies:

In the 90's, it started all with my first VHS:

DIE HARD!

THE ONLY MOVIE I BOUGHT WITH EVERY NEW MEDIUM...VHS, DVD, BLU-RAY, 4K UHD...🤣

Alan Rickman Meme GIF by Death Wish Coffee

Edited by javi
  • Like 10

Challenge #19

Thank you, @lunazero.

This is my list. I've tried to put films that I really like from each decade, but not the usual ones, or the ones I've put before. I have allowed myself to start a bit earlier, but by the time I realised I had already done it. I guess it's better to have too much than too little.

20230206-000132.jpg

Beginning - Meliés in many of his works. I've always liked to go back to the origins, and it's really interesting to see how they still expressed themselves freely.

1910s - 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Stuart Paton, 1916). It's a story I love, and this film is a prodigious first release for its time.

1920s - Battleship Potemkin (Sergei Eisenstein, 1925). An absolute innovation, and one of the most influential films for decades. Always interesting.

1930s - Stagecoach (John Ford, 1939). Great film. Always a pleasure to return to Ford's films.

1940s - Detour (Edgar Ullmer, 1945). This is a great and clearly underrated film. I discovered it by chance, when I claimed a booklet of another film from a distributor, and someone with good taste sent it to me and gave me this one as a gift, recommending it to me. 

1950s - Invaders from Mars (William Cameron Menzies, 1953). I love this film. I saw it when I was a kid, and it had such an impact on me that I still love it many years later.

1960s - The Party (Blake Edwards, 1968). One of the best comedies ever, clearly underrated, and one that I'd love to buy a collector's edition of if WCL or anyone else ever gets around to it.

1970s - Solaris (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1972). A fascinating, disturbing film. A gateway to another way of doing this. In my opinion, a great film.

1980s - Brazil (Terry Gilliam, 1985) Maybe the Terry Gilliam's best film, and a prodigy of imagination. I don't know why, it has been a bit forgotten. Well, we shouldn't, it's really good.

1990s - The Double Life of Véronique (Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1991). It blew me away the first time I saw it. A film of high cinema, a Kieslowski marvel. Still overwhelming.

2000s - The Machinist (Brad Anderson, 2004). A lot of people talk about it because Cristan Bale slimmed down to the bone, but other than that, it's a harrowing thriller and very well made. I love it.

2010s - Brimstone (Martin Koolhoven, 2016). I was surprised, and I liked it a lot: a dirty western, more realistic than the clean and bright western that is often sold. A well-made and entertaining film.

2020s - The French Dispatch (Wes Anderson, 2021). He is a director who always does interesting things; they may be more or less liked, but they are interesting. And I admit that I love it. Curiously, I like him more the more years go by, I don't feel very fond of his early films.

I don't have a favourite era or decade, but after going through my video library looking for suitable films for this list, I've realised that the 1960s is the most dynamic, risky, diversified, and the decade that changed the most.

It was a great decade.

• Like 19

Challenge 19:

70s Grease

80s The Thing

90s Terminator 2

00s The Dark Knight

10s Bohemian Rhapsody

20s Tenet

D256DE8B-E07A-49D4-983C-B842A95F4DEC.thumb.jpeg.d33bb3be4a8367553cd218e623b54d79.jpeg

As for my favourite decade, It’s between 90s and 00s.  Stupidly hard to choose but I think I’ll go for the 90s with T2 being the swing vote!

As for challenge 20, I’m gonna have to do some digging.

Edited by bungral
  • Like 19

thank you @lunazero and @extantsrevenge for Challenge 19 "Through the Decades - a Cinematic Journey"

1930 - Wizard of Oz (1939) Classic film, we have all seen this countless times, and not much to choose from in this decade in my collection

1940 - Citizen Kane (1941) Fantastic film that deserves repeat viewings for many reasons

1950 - Touch of Evil (1958) classic Noir masterpiece, if you haven't seen it, watch it now!

1960 - Psycho (1960) classic horror at its best

1970 - Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) Love this movie, Kaufman knocks it out of the park here

1980 - Rambo First Blood (1982) it's motherf@cking Rambo! Enough said. 

1990 - Freeway (1996) My favorite Reese Witherspoon movie.

2000 - A Bittersweet Life (2005) Amazing story!

2010 - Uncut Gems (2019) really enjoyed the performance from Sandler in this one!

2020 - Censor (2021) one of my favorite movies from the 2020's

791182266_IMG-879911666.thumb.jpg.d4c613d9ddb3df7546c02fbf1bb496eb.jpg

I grew up in the 80's so that is my favorite decade, plus The Thing, They Live, The Shining, Rambo, Star Wars, Back to the Future, Airplane, Stir Crazy, Caddyshack, just to name a few, help cement that fact. 

I've always had a decent size movie collection, that would fluctuate in size over the decades. I didn't get really serious about having a movie collection until a few years ago. And I have only been collecting Premiums for a little over a year. Glad to say that this hobby is here to stay!

• Like 20

Challenge 20

Went with more of a blu to 4k.  My DVD collection has been cleared out over the years.  But some of my preferred. 

1.  L.A. Confidential.  One of my favorite movies of all time.  Would look amazing on 4k.

2. Constantine.  Underrated film.  Did not get a proper chance back in the day.

3.  No Country for Old Men.  Let's get the psychopath in 4k.

4.  Big Trouble in Little china.  Surprised that Shout did this in blu rather than 4k a couple of years ago.

5.  Wild Bunch.  Need some more western love in 4k.

20230205_171035.thumb.jpg.4a0e977a9f821e17d09879a7ee834ef8.jpg

Movies that I would like to get SteelBook release.  Probably just go 4k SteelBook at this time. 

1.  Clash of the Titans.  Classic 80's cheese.  Watched this all the time growing up.  

2.  Oceans 11.  Needs a good 4k and SteelBook release.  A fun film.

3.The Curious case of Benjamin Button.  Not sure if this ever had a steelbook release, but would be a preorder for me.

4.  S.W.A.T.  guilty pleasure movie.  

5.  Licorice Pizza.  Was surprised when those got only a blu release.  

20230205_172159.thumb.jpg.bcaf33d30bb3999af8cca5d52d1a8c8a.jpg

Edited by bossjon
  • Like 20

Alright, here we go for challenge 19:

xz0YZ1N_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

1920s: The Gold Rush - because I can 😅

1930s: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - The one that started a huge empire...

1940s: It's a Wonderful Life - A Christmas tradition and one of my favorite films

1950s: Rear Window - my introduction to Hitchcock and thrillers in general

1960s: To Kill a Mockingbird - I remember watching this in school and it was probably the first film that really impacted me re: the real world.

1970s: Star Wars - the beginning of an obsession and the thing that my sister and I most have in common.

1980s: E.T. - my introduction to Spielberg. I watched this over and over as a kid.

1990s: Tommy Boy - another one of my favorites growing up. It's a comfort film at this point. I just wish Chris Farley was still around 😢

2000s: Mean Girls - I quote this film at least weekly.

2010s: La La Land - probably the first musical I actually enjoyed

2020s: Marcel the Shell with Shoes On - my biggest surprise of the decade so far. I thought it would be okay but I fell in love with it. 

It is really hard for me to choose a favorite decade between the 70s, 80s, and 90s but if I'm forced to choose I would probably pick the 80s. So many classic films that defined my childhood came out during this time and I just have such happy memories enjoying them with friends and family. 

I've been collecting movies on and off since the early 2000s. Unfortunately I sold off most if not all of my collection several times only to restart again. This current collection probably started around 2009 and I have been going strong since then.

• Like 20

Which movies got overlooked? Well here are my wants. Thanks @extantsrevenge for this fun one!

CAF67537-343B-49FE-A53C-907F16E695D4.thumb.jpeg.788633507fd9da632d076c673e184d05.jpeg

DVDs needing bluray:

7 Faces of Dr Lao-an interesting film

Almost Heroes- One of my favorite comedies! Underrated Matthew Perry film!

Blood in Blood Out-Benn said, but it was great!

Gymkata-Cheesy 80s martial arts fun! I love it!

Mr. Destiny-Jim Belushi, Michael Caine, Linda Hamilton, Rene Russo, great cast great film!

For blus needing steels:

46E081B9-5714-4FDE-B7DB-7493F6F2C7A4.thumb.jpeg.3d169def89de1e2e2b18b160066a13fc.jpeg

American Ninja-more cheesy 80s martial arts fun! Maybe a steel box set with all4 movies! (Yes, there were 4 of them!)

The Burbs-next three are great comedies, but this is the best of them! Classic THanks and Bruce Dern!

The Man Who Knew Too Little- Groundhog Day is great, but this is my favorite Bill Murray comedy!

Undercover Blues-Hilarious comedy, Stanley Tucci SHINES in this as Muerte!

Young Guns-Loved this film as a kid! Great western!

Those are my choices!

On a side note, I am working on a REALLY fantastic project, a display for some steels I can't wait to share with everyone! Not sure where to post it but maybe in the newly acquired steels award thread. Stay tuned! Thanks for looking!

• Like 16

• extantsrevenge changed the title to Media Psychos Psycho Challenge! Week 20 Challenge is live!

i dont have many dvds right now, i sold or got rid of them as their quality is too bad for these days and i already replaced a lot of them. i only kept a few films that i really like very much and that havent been released with czech/slovak language. 

• red hot chili peppers - live at slane castle - i used to love RHCP and this concert was the first dvd i have ever bough so a lot of nostalgia heret; too bad it is only on dvd
  • wait until dark - one of the best performances by the great audrey hepburn ever
  • the boat that rocked / pirate radio - i love this film by richard curtis together with its soundtrack and the music of the 60s
  • death at the funeral (UK version) - hilarious
  • finding neverland - really touching story. each watching cost me some tears at the end

IMG20230206112924.thumb.jpg.1bee220eafd0b9ce3175748864b97d8c.jpg

when i had my dvds out, i used some of them also for the second part of the challenge as they truly deserve steelbook (with bluray - in my case)

• moneyball - i need to rewatch this, i havent seen it in years
  • a good year - let me open the bottle of wine and enjoy this movie
  • spy game - i think that bluray with czech subtitles was released in germany
  • vicky cristina barcelona - the great trio and the best woody allen according to me
  • lemony snickets series of unfortunate events - i believe that the premium edition would be fantastic as there were plenty of great images in the film

IMG20230206115117.thumb.jpg.6d5575882c8c4ea2fbca6c28ee7df3c6.jpg

• Like 17

• ★ Administrators ★

NewAntiqueAzurevasesponge-max-1mb.gif

more points. First for the additional Challenge 19 posts. Awesome stuff everyone.

@Toapel @ncraft @Hecko @raylight @Mrdugan @ukade2327 @Scary Hair  @TechSpec924 @Casiusco @Rambo @GuyIncognit0  🙏

@bungral what is your favotite decade?

@F.M.S wow, that post was simply terrific again, I would not have mind if you had included a movie for every year from every decade 😂. Also have you read the Manga for Akira? It has so much more story and is one of the greatest Manga you can find. Over 2000 pages long 😍

I did not count which decade got the most mention as favorite, but I had the feeling my favorite 80s did very good. Don't forget we alreday introduced an 80s Award, check it out here and parictpate 😊. The more members go for the 80s Award the better the chances for other decades to follow soon.

@Starman congratulations to your 100 posts Award.

And onward to Challenge 20.

giphy.gif

I saw some sad reaction for this challenge 😲, I think it is a cool one, since members will show stuff that does not get shown often and it might be possible that your want already has a good BD or a Steelbook available. It is also very interesting to see the different taste in movies, on many challenges everyone posts the same, so this is a cool break, that allows for more diversity.

@extantsrevenge I completely forgot to include Excalibur, I really want a Steelbook for that 🤩

@Veum  @cypheria078 @Boilersteel (absolutely agree, we need a Fight Club 4K) @bilbon @bossjon @Chief_lookout

@hal56 interesting slection on both parts with lots of different genres.

I better not tell @R1s1ngs0n that I'm not a Fan of Barry Lyndon, Brazil and Once Upon a Time in America 😅

giphy.gif

Nice @Fortis93 you have reached the first award. Also The Silence of the Lamb has a UK Steelbook release, I think it is kinda hard to find by now.

giphy.gif

@ethnosax we are a Movie Collector's site, so I find the challenge normal as many of us have collected a long time, I added the 4K Option extra for the members that might not own any DVD. Anway

giphy.gif

Why did you not keep the cases for your DVDs 😨 😲

giphy.gif

same question for you @Reagh 😲

Also if BN would ever consider doing a Premium for Speed Racer I would step down as Admin 😂

@Mrdugan great to see you also mention Hard Boiled and included The Killer. Such great classic Action Movies. Besides as a personal favor to me, could you please remove the price sticker from your BDs 🤣, why would you leave them on the package?

This has already been very interesting. Hard to believe how many Movies have been overlooked and not even gotten a Blu-ray release.  And when I look at all the different Steelbook wishlists, Studios should really do something instaed of giving us the 20th Steelbooks of the same Blockbuster.

pretty_good_start-DMID1-5ob36oux6-480x26

Keep the participations coming and also don't forget to like the posts of your fellow Psychos

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

Thanks for the Callenge 20 @extantsrevenge

These movies will probably never make it on Blu ray 😰

IMG_20230206_125329.jpg

Ans sey will never see the light of day as steel..... 

Please don't be surprised, I ve filed all the Blu ray into the bags provided for this purpose and stabled them into a short folder. It now looks neat and saves space. 

IMG_20230206_130102~2.jpg

Edited by Catgirl
  • Like 21

• ★ Administrators ★
1 hour ago, Gentleman said:

Did I just see that correctly, that you talked to yourself and tagged yourself?

James Caan Elf GIF

Yeah

it-was-weird-bro-jaredfps.gif

I tagged myslef only to count the participants for challenge 20, then I saw @cypheria078 post Flesh + Blood, which reminded me of Excalibur, so I added that comment 😂

59 minutes ago, ethnosax said:

Binders of discs were a lot easier to move to another country when I lived overseas. Also, DVD cases were ugly.

31 minutes ago, Reagh said:

Most were damaged during Hurricane Ike 2008.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I will allow both explanations.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

• ★ Administrators ★
6 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

Do you really want me to make your mediocre performance in the Bond quiz common knowledge?

Be Safe Watch Out GIF by Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History

KNqt.gif

giphy.gif

😜

I'm actually willing to give the movie another view at somepoint in time. I only saw it in German many years ago, but I remember how disgusted I was by De Niros Character.

• Like 4