IGNORED

Media Psychos Psycho Challenge! NEW: CHALLENGE 38 IS NOW LIVE!

extantsrevenge

Week 21 Challenge: Love is in the Air

I thought that I’d go with some of the most tragic love stories that I own:

1. Moulin Rouge - Blufans Steelbook

2. Life is Beautful - Korean with Full Slip cover

3. Casablanca - Zavvi 80th Anniversary Steelbook with Full Slip cover

4. The Shape of Water - Manta Lab Steelbook with Full Slip cover

5. Romeo and Juliet - Blufans 1/4 slip Steelbook

6. Captain America (Steve and Peggy) - Blufans Lenticular Slip cover

7. Blu Valentine - Zavvi Steelbook

D5102E4A-B338-47CC-967B-9D9AAD0CA998.thumb.jpeg.13f5bc53f129094ad5304e87d227a102.jpeg

• Like 16

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

challenge#21

I am not a huge fan of love movies, just of very nice stories, so I like "The Notebook" or

"Love Story", but I don't have them in my physical collection.

So - when I think of movies, with romantically involved couples, the following are popping up in my mind:

1. V for Vendetta

2. Basic Instinct

3. The Bird on a Wire

4. Romancing the Stone

5. The Legend of Zorro

6. Love Rosie

7. The Proposal

My most favourite movie about a couple would be:

The Getaway!

IMG_20230219_124101.jpg

IMG_20230219_124149.jpg

IMG20230219124031.jpg

IMG20230219124036.jpg

IMG_20230219_124122.jpg

IMG20230219123537.jpg

IMG_20230219_124204.jpg

IMG_20230219_124233.jpg

Edited by javi
  • Like 14

• ★ Administrators ★

Not many submission to go through 😔. Come on Psychos get your Challenge 21 post in!

@CAYENNE-FAHRER @Catgirl @camwjohn95 @Emil @ncraft @Scary Hair @Steelbook Indy @javi

all-free-thank-you-gif-4.gif

for your great submissions.

Later today our Challenge 22 will be presented by @Reagh

6JtD.gif

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6

Challenger No. 21 - "Love is in the Air"

Thanks to @Blu Magic Ray Ingo for this love(ly) challenge ! ;)

Show us at least 5 editions with only couples or romantically involved characters on the front.

I'm not soo into love movies but I also have a few in my collection. Here we go:

• Ein unmöglicher Härtefall (Intolerable Cruelty) >> Catherine Zeta-Jones 🥰
  • Pretty Woman >> Classic love movie
  • America's Sweethearts >> again Catherine...🥰
  • Wedding Planner >> JLo in her younger years...🤩
  • Ein Chef zum Verlieben (Two Weeks Notice) >> Sandra Bullock...I just like her. She's a cool actress.

IMG_8487.thumb.JPG.14a969583a9a032ff39fa9dc6137790c.JPG

• Like 17

Challenge #022 

Adaptation 

For this challenge we would like to know what some of your favorite adaptations are. You will need to show  Movies or Television Series and the source material. Have fun with it, if the movie came before the book or comic it would still count since it’s still a adaptation. All mediums are allowed, books, mangas, comics, graphic novels etc. The only rule is…. series only count as one. Example Harry Potter 1-7 only counts as 1. 

I can’t wait to see everyone’s submissions! 

Bonus : please tell everyone what your favorite adaptation is & why.

My favorite adaptation is The Secret History of Twin Peaks, It is full of spoilers, contradictions, answers and questions. A must read for a fan of the world of TP.

I hope everyone is able to participate in the challenge. I decided not to show any of the usual suspects. Here are some of my Adaptations.

480DB64C-20AF-44BF-AA93-57EF2B82EB7A.jpeg

9CE3AF83-FA9E-4F04-94BE-39672820EC84.jpeg

9AF44507-BEAA-47BC-B2C8-1B5C700BA771.jpeg

45DF7801-75D1-4087-BDC5-C369F2AE0562.jpeg

Edited by Reagh
  • Like 22
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Reagh said:

Challenge #022 

Adaptation 

All mediums are allowed, books, mangas, comics, graphic novels etc. The only rule is…. series only count as one. Example Harry Potter 1-7 only counts as 1. 

So...If I hold up my Pirates of the Caribbean steelbook outside of the ride entrance...does that count? 🤔

Pirates Of The Caribbean Dog GIF by Disney Parks

• Haha 12

🥤🤠 🎬 📚 alright, alright what a wonderful challenge @Reagh Reagh 👍 😎 🥸

Challenge #022 

Adaptation 

Can’t really pick a fav adaption because I love these all❣️

BTW, I had some more to pick from but went for these!! :)

My username sake Varg Veum AT NIGHT ALL WOLVES ARE GREY

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO

A TOUCH OF FROST A TOUCH OF FROST

Dark Shadows DARK SHADOWS

306AD594-6398-4E09-AA94-AA8CB3213525.thumb.jpeg.37fd053b833bb69b9ffd60281cf6e6d4.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

vor 52 Minuten schrieb Reagh:

Challenge #022 

Adaptation 

For this challenge we would like to know what some of your favorite adaptations are. You will need to show  Movies or Television Series and the source material. Have fun with it, if the movie came before the book or comic it would still count since it’s still a adaptation. All mediums are allowed, books, mangas, comics, graphic novels etc. The only rule is…. series only count as one. Example Harry Potter 1-7 only counts as 1. 

I can’t wait to see everyone’s submissions! 

Bonus : please tell everyone what your favorite adaptation is & why.

My favorite adaptation is The Secret History of Twin Peaks, It is full of spoilers, contradictions, answers and questions. A must read for a fan of the world of TP.

I hope everyone is able to participate in the challenge. I decided not to show any of the usual suspects. Here are some of my Adaptations.

@Reagh Thanks for this nice idea for a MP challenge !

For me...I'm out this time because I have no books or other material as "source material". Only thing I might have is a computer game of "Tomb Raider" somewhere hidden in the cellar. 😆

Doesn't matter...next week another challenge will start and then I'm "back in business"...hopefully. 😇

@All others: have fun ! 👍😎

Well Done Yes GIF by Minions

• Like 10

Great challenge @Reagh

Here are some of my favourite adaptations:

Bram Stokers Dracula:

image.thumb.jpeg.585ea859a0c1b74d32eff8fdbefbc284.jpeg

American Psycho:

image.thumb.jpeg.6fcc802a0045cc35e370aa554c3e2021.jpeg

Hamlet:

Branaghs movie is still my favourite adaptation of Hamlet. You can literally read the lines word for word

image.thumb.jpeg.4f55ed619214dbb7920301916133a288.jpeg

Titus Andronicus:

image.thumb.jpeg.9ac4476472fdd846cc86a19fc2363556.jpeg

The Dark Half:

image.thumb.jpeg.bfbeeba3dba281e58a78f44458965658.jpeg

Unfortunately, I dont have the novels at hand, but my two favourite adaptations are Kubricks take on The Shining and Cronenbergs version of 

William S. Burroughs Naked Lunch.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, raylight said:

@Reagh Thanks for this nice idea for a MP challenge !

For me...I'm out this time because I have no books or other material as "source material". Only thing I might have is a computer game of "Tomb Raider" somewhere hidden in the cellar. 😆

Doesn't matter...next week another challenge will start and then I'm "back in business"...hopefully. 😇

@All others: have fun ! 👍😎

Well Done Yes GIF by Minions

A smart person such as yourself @raylight Daniel and you do not have and read books 📚

Come On Reaction GIF 

• Like 1

• ★ Administrators ★

Thank you for the new challenge @Reagh. I like this a lot, often people forget that many of the greatest stories we see on the screen are not original works, but come from other source material. It actually annoys me that the original creator sometimes do not get enough credit for their work.

I will show 5 terrific works that I love in the original and the adaptaion. First some books.

Here is my english HC Boxset for The Lord of the Rings (illustrated Edition). I mean, I could not do this challenge without the biggest Fantasy story. So even when Peter Jackson did not do a 1 on 1 adaptation, he did it absolutely perfectly and I  would not want the movie trilogy any other way, an abolute dream come true.

Challenge221.thumb.JPG.f1d8b15cbc4648a9ee631b7ad5e0dbc5.JPG

Next I want to highlight Frank Herbert's epic Dune Saga, it is a Sci-Fi Masterpiece that should not be missed. Even when many critizie the 84 Movie adaptaion from David Lynch, I absolutely love it. The new Denis Villeneuve Version is also great and I can't wait to see part 2.

Challenge222.thumb.JPG.fb7af7ed216770c014727d05196f2473.JPG

Next I want to highlight a comic, I choose this as I love the Movie so much and have not shown it enough in other challenges. James O'Barr's The Crow is one of the greates Indi Comics ever released and the 94 Movie is pure magic, sadly every other attempt to bring this to the screen has resulted in disaster. So if you have never seen this, only watch the original movie.

Challenge223.thumb.JPG.26c35de893e10f313d786e7eaf40dcbb.JPG

My 5 picks did fill so fast and I wanted to concentrate on Manga with my last 2 picks, but I have to mention Watchmen which in my eyes is the best Comic ever written. Alan Moore's writing is so unbelievable good and an absolute treat. 1 Page of Watchmen is giving you more than a complete issue of most of the comics published today. Maybe I get a chance to show my Watchmen Comics in another challenge.

Anyway now to my Manga choices, I could have presented so many. What I love about Manga is that 1 creator, or 2 when it is a writer/artist team give you a complete story. It is their vision from start to finish. In US Superhero comics you have creators that to a run on a character but these come to an end and then another creator takes over, this will result in quality changes, so sometimes it is a hit or a miss.

First I want to highlight the amazing Akira Manga from Katsuhiro Otomo. The Manga was published from 82-90. Otomo also directed the Movie Version from 88. Of course the Movie does not include the whole Manga Story (which is over 2000 pages long) it is only a part of the story and has alterations but in its own is simply breathtaking. The Akira Movie plays a huge part in Anime becoming popular in the whole world.

I still hope that someday we get a Series that adapts the whole story.

Challenge224.thumb.JPG.0ee1a765d249848a882e36e19f8f8374.JPG

Last I want to show some of my Berserk Manga collection from the great Kentarō Miura (who has sadly already passed away). The Manga has 41 Volumes unfortunately it was not finished at the time of Miura's passing. He started doing the Manga in 1989. What can I say, this Manga is the greatest Manga ever made and Miura is one of the most creative and best creators ever. A pure genius. His art is spectacular and his characters and story telling is the higest level imaginable.

I did not buy the Manga when it was first released in Germany, I always wanted to check it out, but somehow it did take some time. When I bought the Berserk Max Collections (2 Volumes in one), I was instantly hooked and could not believe how I was late in finding this treasure. I hunted down the original Manga release and I also started getting the US Perfect Editions. So yeah I own 3 editions 😀.

The Story Arc "The Golden Age" was made into a Anime Series in 97 and the faithful adaptation is absolutely stunning. In 2012-2013 the Story was also made into 3 movies, which are also great. In 16-17 they did a Series that covers the Story after "The Golden Age" sadly the animation are bad CGI.

I hope that Miura actually created many notes on how the series was supposed to end, so that at some point in time, we will actually see how the journey for Guts and his group will end. I just hope an artist can be found that can do it justice. Miura was a master of detailed art to such a high level that would certainly drive most artists to insanity. Each panel was a piece of art, he was simply the greatest.

Challenge225.thumb.JPG.74e730e5cce0416e94529bb236e6b7f5.JPG

I did not show my Legend of the Galactic Heroes Book Series by Yoshiki Tanaka but it should be known by now that I consider the original Anime Series to be the greatest Anime of all time and the best Sci-Fi Saga (besides Star Wars Episide I-VI), so I would also call that the best adaptation ever made.

legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-go.gif

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, raylight said:

I already hated having to read books at school. I'm more the "audio-visual" type of person. Perhaps thats why I preferred comics when I was a child. 😆🤪😄

My reading queue is so backed up now that I probably won’t get to them before I ⚰️

Die Season 3 GIF by The Office

unless I really am a 🧛‍♂️ 

Classic Film Dracula GIF by Warner Archive

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I had moved so frequently that I had passed along my movies and my books. Only recently have I started re-amassing my movie collection. The books I still do have don’t apply.  I think what I miss most would be the Akira manga. I keep telling myself I need to pick that back up. Probably should get a copy of LOTR too.

• Like 4

Well, I was booking my park reservation and saw that I am blocked out tomorrow...

johnny depp disney GIF

I won't be in the area again this week so we'll have to wait for that one 😢. Here's some other stuff:

Challenge #22: Adaptation

J9w8FPd.jpg

The Princess Bride and Winnie the Pooh are probably my favorites here. This edition of Princes Bride is beautifully bound and has quite a few well done illustrations that make for a nice touch. Winnie the Pooh always caters to my sentimental side. Interestingly, Disney made some good choices with their adaptation that work quite well in the transition from print to the screen. I don't usually find that to be the case. 

I'm sure several people could complete this challenge using Disney alone.

Thanks for the challenge, @Reagh

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

CHALLENGE 22

As a movie fan and a bit of a bookish fellow, I love this challenge. Thanks, @Reagh!

Looking through my shelves, I was surprised how many adaptations I really like, since the typical perspective amongst book-lovers is that the movie is never as good as the book. Sometimes the movie is even better.

Of these, probably my favorite book-and-movie pairing is A Monster Calls. I love both, and I think both versions tell the story in equally compelling ways, each one making the most of its medium.

IMG_2519.thumb.jpg.93ba786139e791e9ea76f2c4afe93f75.jpg

1. Watership Down

2. Romeo and Juliet

3. True Grit

4. The Ten Commandments

IMG_2518.thumb.jpg.fdef611357d913f321185281f8f29517.jpg

5. Arrival

6. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

7. Les Misérables

8. A Monster Calls

IMG_2520.thumb.jpg.055fb333f9e562c5f1e6f3f0f04dcda8.jpg

9. Dune

10. Paddington

11. Alice in Wonderland

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

This was an interesting challenge @Reagh and I thank you for it! I have really had to pare down my other collections to make room for steelbooks, but fortunately I still had enough books and graphic novels (I kept the ones I really loved!) to make this work.

068FADE2-6107-4E6F-82EA-0D05E7D6034C.thumb.jpeg.3e5917cf9646be97491fb5a4d04f3c4b.jpeg

First up, I will also mention Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings, and I will throw in The Hobbit. I know it gets hate because it isn't as good as LotR, but I still think it is a great trilogy, and I have loved these stories since I was a kid!

8B8A4DB5-C02C-492D-BD59-0397F9F65CB3.thumb.jpeg.aeb63f93651d64bababb410b10151f24.jpeg

Next up is The Great Escape! I love a good escape movie, and this one is the best, in my opinion! All-star cast! This also answers my favorite adaptation question. Although the film did make some changes (and it's been awhile since I read the book), if I remember right, those changes don't take much away from the story.

Then there's Logan. My favorite comic book movie (followed closely by Joker)! I love the dark and gritty feel of it!

And lastly, Infinity War! I remember when I saw the tesseract glowing blue in the theater and I immediately thought, "Are they doing Infinity Gauntlet?! How are they gonna make that work? They don't have rights to The Silver Surfer! How are they gonna show the planetary scale in which this took place? Although the movies made many changes, almost enough it is a different story, I still enjoyed them!

I liked going through my stuff to find source material! Some honorable mentions for which I no longer have the source: Watchmen, Lonesome Dove, Xmen: Dark Phoenix. And some sources I don't have physical media for: Good Omens, American Gods, Sandman, and Wheel of Time. Thanks for looking!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Challenge #022 

Adaptation 

Thanks for the challenge.  Here rte a few of my Favorites. 

1.  Dune.  Remember watching the original in '84, wondering what tge he'll is going on.  Made me want to get the book.  Not a good adaptation, but I still continue to watch until this day.  The new one was great. Can't wait for part 2.

20230219_125754.thumb.jpg.f89ee964f6d9ce7e62f272bb2e0d50c4.jpg

2.  Watchmen.  One of the greatest comic series of all time and I enjoyed the movie, what more to say.

20230219_125953.thumb.jpg.02694bc07e216c8f8253c944aa304ad7.jpg

3.  Dr  Sleep.  Was surprised when this was dropped.  I think I've watched the film more then The Shining by this point.

20230219_130045.thumb.jpg.386044df38966e7ddc591a332f516006.jpg

4.  Not a direct adaptation to the movie, but the creation of the Character.  Miles Moralas.  First appearance in 2011, one of the best during that time frame.  Going into his first solo book then his film release,  Into the SpiderVerse.

20230219_125133.thumb.jpg.de7c3feaec55658ef467e30b3d442f61.jpg

Favorite adaptation.   Unfortunately i am unable to locate my book.  The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  Still one if my favorite book and movies. 

20230219_130429.thumb.jpg.c9b83a8de5397cd8df790d36c64ea995.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Challenge 21:

Thanks @Blu Magic Ray for the challenge.

@extantsrevenge I wanted to reach about a missing 1000 post award as well. 😀🙏 

1. La La Land

2. Gone with the Wind

3. Top Gun

4. Phantom of the Opera (this one might not count)

5. The Princess Bride

5a. Dirty Dancing

20230219_225344.thumb.jpg.bd1865c23745f6c6a85b138c2c613f9f.jpg

Not a huge fan of romantic movies, although my wife is, which means I still end up watching them.   Probably favorite would be Dirty Dancing.

20230219_225954.thumb.jpg.804c268d54b368bbc38ad7d19361eb98.jpg

• Like 18

• extantsrevenge changed the title to Media Psychos Psycho Challenge! Week 22 Challenge is live!
  • ★ Administrators ★

rachel-mc-adams-the-notebook.gif

no @F.M.S, no @Casiusco and for 2 weeks no @ukade2327 😩

WNMV.gif

Thank you @sobmaster @raylight @ajames212 @Boilersteel for the lovely submissions.

And now to challenge 22

tumblr_lppgg8b5Vm1qcyjm3o1_500.gif

Nice @Reagh my brother has the Twin Peaks book too, but can we count that as an adaptaion 😜

I fully expected you to use The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo on this challenge @Veum 😄

Oh @hal56 you brought the classics out, I'm not really a fan of Shakespeare, also everyone knows

rlAs3vo.gif

I hope some of you enjoyed my post, it got kinda long as I got so excited when I thought about the stuff I choose to present. Hopefully a few Psychos will check out one or the other of these great stories.

Looking good @GuyIncognit0 .

Very nice selection @ethnosax I see you got the new Dune HC version 👍

@Chief_lookout I was waiting for someone to post The Infinity Gauntlet, such terrific art by the magnificent George Pérez.

@bossjon most impressive your CGC 9.8 Collection for Miles, especially when you know how much they are worth 🤣, simply amazing.

A slow but great start to Challenge 22, I'm very much looking forward to more submissions.

new_psycho_challenge_starting_gleaming_metal_silver.gif.28893c718a66ea5c3cda404d9a8539af.gif

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2