IGNORED

Media Psychos Psycho Challenge! NEW: CHALLENGE 38 IS NOW LIVE!

extantsrevenge

thank you @Gary K and @extantsrevenge for this PSYCHO CHALLENGEWEEK 24 "And The OSCAR Goes To...."

1) the French Connection (1971)

2) the Deer Hunter (1978)

3) the Silence of the Lambs (1991)

4) Gladiator (2000)

5) No Country for Old Men (2007)

IMG-903312448.thumb.jpg.6a6657091e70dfcefb3a77f12c71b61f.jpg

and as for a film I think should of won, that honor goes to:

Full Metal Jacket (1987)

IMG-903412449.thumb.jpg.2c08137991afcb3140d2846621fac42c.jpg

• Like 20

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Challenge 24       Thanks @Gary K

20230311_120804.thumb.jpg.0fa3fe37dabd57eabd4e90720eb33176.jpg

He decided to give something curious as an example, although it was in the category of best visual effects.

Gozdilla King of the Monsters wasn't even nominated and in my opinion it could perfectly have been the winner.

If it's not valid, I can also say that The Dark Night deserved to win a best movie in its year.

20230311_121928.thumb.jpg.83a58cd1e45d72f27b8be4d60489f923.jpg

• Like 18

Challenge 24:

The Dark Knight - Best Supporting Actor - Heath Ledger…. Enough said.

Blade Runner 2049 - Best Cinematography & Best Visual Effects.

Terminator 2 - Won 4 but Best Sound and Best Visual Effects stand out!

Interstellar - Best Visual Effects.

The Matrix - Similar to T2, won 4 with Best Sound and Best Visual Effects stand outs and well deserved!

In case it’s not obvious, I appear to put a lot in to visual effects 😄64160200-DD73-4377-843A-CDD6B2BDCF08.thumb.jpeg.52bd38b640a97ec7a5b3a8215a60356b.jpeg

• Like 20

• extantsrevenge changed the title to Media Psychos Psycho Challenge! Week 25 Challenge is live!

CHALLENGE 25 - "THE MULTILINGUAL PSYCHO"

• le fabuleux destin d'amelie poulain (amelie) - french
  • ondskan (evil) - swedish
  • amores perros - spanish
  • obecna skola (the elementary school) - czech
  • jagten (the hunt) - danish

IMG20230313114006.thumb.jpg.67cd33bb53b28f5bb19602169986815a.jpg

i know that "amelie" had the premium edition by kimchidvd, but that is hard to get and very expensive. so i would like to have another company give it a try once again. 

• Like 18

Challenge #24: And the Oscar goes to...

Thank you, @Gary K,

20230313-235230.jpg

I don't think the films need any introduction this time. They are five gems of cinema, and they were appreciated at the Oscars, not always as much as perhaps they would have deserved, but they did win at least one of the main Oscars.

As for which film should have won one... the list could be long, and that should give the ladies and gentlemen of the academy pause for thought. We have most of Kubrick's filmography, the entire filmography of Wong Kar Wai, all the films photographed by Christopher Doyle, the films of Paul Thomas Anderson,... and so many others.

But I want to highlight one that you all know, because of its importance, and because of its transcendence.

The last one that pointed the way forward, and that only got one measly nomination, which it didn't even win. Making jokes about "Mulholland Drive" in the presenter's speech, certifying the scorn, made it clear to everyone that they didn't know what the hell they had in front of them.

A masterpiece. In the full sense of the word.

20230313-235454.jpg

PS: Excuse me for the delay, please. 😌

Edited by Casiusco
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Challenge #25: The multilingual Psycho

Thank you, @R1s1ngs0n.

20230314-000121.jpg

With this challenge I have discovered that I have more films in languages other than Spanish or English than I thought. It has been interesting.

• Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2010). Winner of the Palme d'Or at Cannes, a special, difficult yet simple film that demands an open mind to a completely different culture. Shot in Thai.
  • Russian Ark (Aleksander Sokurov, 2002). A historic 90-minute sequence shot. Shot in Russian.
  • The Scent of the Green Papaya (Tran Anh Hung, 1993). Very good film shot in Vietnamese by the most famous director of their cinema. Not my favourite film of his filmography, but still really interesting.
  • Cold War (Pawel Pawlikowski, 2028). I love this film. A passionate and elegant drama, subtle and careful, in a context of war. Where romanticism is not pink, and depends more on the people than the scenery. Shot in Polish.
  • I saw the devil (Kim Jae-woon, 2010). I think you all know this wonderful and entertaining Korean film shot in Korean. If you haven't seen it, maybe you should put it on your list. 
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• ★ Administrators ★

Still need to hand out some points.

tumblr_mir7wu947F1rp68cjo1_250.gif

@Steelbook Indy @bl4ck5t3r @Gentleman @MikeH5856 @javi @Scary Hair @Toapel (thanks for catching up on old challenges 🙏) @Blu Magic Ray @cypheria078 @ncraft @ukade2327 @Rambo @Noir21 (thank you too, for submitting some old challenges) @bungral @Casiusco (I will allow it 😉)

And now moving on to Challenge 25

@R1s1ngs0n

damn_good_stuff_sir.gif

I just recently saw Oldboy again, first time in 4K. What a wild experience, I think the movie is getting better and better each time you see it. Really impressive.

Thank you for the nice Challenge 25 posts 😊

@Fortis93 @nerdist @Toapel @MikeH5856 @Peter Manoukian @ncraft @mpmarcel @guri008

With this 25th Challenge the first few Psychos also receive the 2nd Award. This means you guys have completed all 25 Challenges we had so far 😲, a truely outstanding achievement.

Congratulations to @extantsrevenge @Chief_lookout @Gentleman @hal56 @InfiniteDoors @bossjon @Mrdugan @cypheria078 @Gary K @Reagh @ethnosax @Veum @Casiusco

MPChallenge2.png.fbf8600a842a2641ced2e693ceecbcdf.png

A few more Psychos will be able to get the Award with this challenge and more in the coming weeks.

I'm already surprised how many different languaes we got to see so far, hopefully more will be added in the next few days.

We will have some changes coming up in the challenge soon. I plan to allow submissions for certain older challenges at all times. Most likely it will start with Challenge 1-20, newer challenges will only be added later to this. As we have reached 25 astonishing challenges already I hope the change will inspire more members to go for the great Challenge Awards. Anyway more on that later.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 9

Thanks to @extantsrevenge for this idea and for religiously maintaining and updating this thread. I really enjoy participating and it is now part of my Sunday morning routine - check out the new challenge, get a cup of coffee, sip said coffee as I prepare my submission. And thankfully now some weekends I will be doing that with F1 on in the background! 

Thank you also to @Cornbuster for the trophy designs.

I know it's a long way off, but hopefully we get to 50 challenges and may I suggest instead of an award at 50 we have a 1 year award at 52?

Also maybe a trophy for those who come up with challenges will help keep interest up and sustain us to that point.

• Like 12

CHALLENGE 25 - "THE MULTILINGUAL PSYCHO"

@R1s1ngs0n Ok, so this is harder for me than it probably should be… I cannot tell a lie, I am still somewhat naive and sheltered when it comes to World Cinema, and it is precisely for this reason I was so keen to join @Reagh movie club. I got into the Premium game predominantly for Marvel (Shock Horror) and then got the bug and began to upgrade my Sci-Fi and Monster Movies. I’ve always liked Anime, but rarely delved into foreign cinema. 🤷🏼‍♂️ All I can say is that I am open minded and ready to be educated.

I’m fairly certain I could “cheat complete” this challenge with Tarantino Movies alone 😁 off the top of my head, English, Japanese, Chinese, German, Hungarian, Spanish…. But anyway, I’ll try my luck with these….. you’re gonna Love this 😄😄😄

Japanese

979D97D7-8331-4EEC-A9ED-979E61802D38.thumb.jpeg.55492312a5d398e72dbb09c82e06e622.jpeg

French

487CA7CA-06A2-43C8-B552-46DEE895CB54.thumb.jpeg.e8600e6017e9bc6de2499baf8a9e6a93.jpeg

German

55A8A390-B4B5-481D-9274-B160CC23C3DC.thumb.jpeg.3585823c84aad15cf2247494f9fea487.jpeg

Russian

59B24D5E-B3BB-4B4F-A693-25D44BFA972F.thumb.jpeg.8fb3f848c9018fb9f51f4972861a8ef0.jpeg

Klingon (https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dpa3q/how-klingon-became-a-real-language)

75C13ACD-942D-475E-ACCF-F39EEE64BEA2.thumb.jpeg.bfa270d7be11bd7ecc95811d9f47c685.jpeg

Did I do it? Did I pass? 😄

For a Movie I would like to see become a Premium, I will go with the recently suggested Druk (Another Round) by @BreakBeatDJ in our cool little Movie Club. Whilst not something I would watch over and over, I would purchase a beautifully put together Fullslip of this little gem of a movie.

• Like 15
  • Haha 2

@Pbsw23 I won’t lie, the last two entries gave me a serious chuckle 😆

I haven’t seen any Star Trek films but if Nils can confirm Klingon is used prominently in that particular movie, then I accept it 😉

Sorry, but Creed II is a no-go, buddy. I watched it recently and the amount of Russian spoken is minimal. I’m sure you can find a more suitable alternative.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

I haven’t seen any Star Trek films but if Nils can confirm Klingon is used prominently in that particular movie, then I accept it 😉

Sorry, but Creed II is a no-go, buddy. I watched it recently and the amount of Russian spoken is minimal. I’m sure you can find a more suitable alternative.

Doesn’t fill me with confidence 😄 But ok, so to replace Creed II…

Spanish

B11F3597-233A-4EBD-BD00-0BE8E79BF44C.thumb.jpeg.9e68ad96465c8f74f5457e08af84f15b.jpeg

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

• Like 2

Week 25!

World Cinema Library (Has a nice ring to it. Has someone else thought of it?)

Flat Earth Style!

I am American... Probably shouldn't have said that after "Flat Earth". Anyway, that's my starting point.

IMG_20230314_172908.thumb.jpg.4e665e030a5a0db7ca3c89b7d9a286f7.jpg

1. "Sound of Metal" (USA, ASL)

2. "Roma" (Mexico, Mexican Spanish)

3. "El Norte" (UK, Guatemalan Spanish/Quiché)

4. "Rocco and His Brothers" (Italy, Italian)

5. "Betty Blue" (France, European French) [Probably should have put that before Italy. Pretend that I came into Europe from the bottom.]

6. "Berlin Alexanderplatz" (Germany, German/Portuguese/Soninke)

7. "Land of Mine" (Denmark, Danish/German)

8. "War and Peace" (Russia, Russian)

9. "Mera Naam Joker" (India, Hindi)

10. "Farewell My Concubine" (China, Mandarin)

11. "Seven Samurai" (Japan, Japanese)

12. "Mommy" (Quebec, Quebec French)

Not especially geographically accurate, but it's a step up from that Flat Earth joke.

I realized at the last minute that I had my new copy of "Onoda: 10,000 Nights in the Jungle" laying around the BR player. I wasn't about to get all of these movies back out! That would have been cool to show off for Japan. Soon, though!

• Like 15

Awards

• ★ Administrators ★

giphy.gif

This must have been the slowest few days ever in the Psycho Challenge...

Thank you @Catgirl

giphy.gif

@Pbsw23 giphy.gif I have not watched that Star Trek Movie in some time, but we only have them for a very short time in it 😲. Since you already provided one alternative for Creed, we simply combine the other 2 into 1 and pretend that will be okay 😅

@camwjohn95

1555912_bd6c4.gif

@bilbon 😲 you are late with Challenge 24, we are already in 25. But I will allow it this time as we will have some changes coming up soon.

Everyone else

face_the_psycho_challenge_gleaming_metal_lila.gif.952b7b7ae2d720fe0a4d6a865d111e2b.gif

Tomorrow we will have the next Challenge from @Mrdugan

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Challenge 25 how quickly the time is flying be the Silly season again before we know it New Girl Omg GIF by HULU  .

My selected editions as follows @R1s1ngs0n and @extantsrevenge

PXL_20230318_110328106.thumb.jpg.46635996ee0bc23b321bf6f02487e663.jpg

The Passion Of The Christ = Aramaic and Latin

Gibson as a director in fine form , although watching this movie now the anti semectic hits do leave a bad taste on watching. However it's still a stunning film .

Troll Hunter = Norwegian 

A blast of a great movie this also is a kick ass Lenti cover .

Akira = Japanese

The movie that brought Animé into the main steam. Now over 20 years old has not aged in the slightest.

Apocalypto = Yukatac , Maya

Again Gibson giving it his all in authenticity . I find this for me to be a moosive draw in him as a director.

The knack to tap into an aspect that most ignore and turn it into an asset to the viewer .

Train To Busan = Korean 

Horror at it's finest . The comedy is so subtle and universally understood. One of the few that Rich has seen twice now and stayed awake for .

• Like 13