IGNORED

Media Psychos Psycho Challenge! NEW: CHALLENGE 38 IS NOW LIVE!

extantsrevenge

I collect steelbooks since dvd Time and mentioned premiums with novas first John wick Release. I wanted back artwork from it so much on a steelbook and was shocked german steel hadn‘t it!!! So i decided to spend some More money i buying novas lenticular. And god it felt so good in Hand!!! It didn‘t took long to get enough editions my normal ikea cupboard exploded… Here are the First editions from 5 different retailers.

1756F185-0CBD-43CD-93CF-01FE49D2B190.jpeg

2E184450-3CFF-42AF-B673-613C32EA42C7.jpeg

3FC81B4B-9EAA-4F36-91C1-E81E67839316.jpeg

21E3D8CB-01A8-4BC4-9B90-1BAE9CF7992E.jpeg

6368FB0C-806E-46FB-B699-DBCF49973C77.jpeg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Challenge #5

Prometheus

Alien

Alien Covenant

1721n.thumb.jpg.345e755433c10b0be4442f6be0b18e1d.jpg.5e0dbf90ca2691e0e262a16304b22e7f.jpg

Superman - Man Of Steel  HDZeta-Box

1723n.thumb.jpg.bb2524d36947103d2d595c2a28cd385e.jpg.335ffe745737257afa8a4a44062637ab.jpg

John Wick  2x FAC

Constantine  MantaLab

136.jpg.d1ae348baacde043590718f69c570932.jpg

@Gary K

I am a collector since 2009, but I really started in 2018, when I received an invitation to MP, that was it for me, I have a film room of 16 square meters, now premiums had to come, it happened extremely quickly and so the shelves filled up, have upstairs some listed that absolutely had to be in my collection, but there are also the Jurassic Park parts from FAC, which I didn't want to get off the shelves now

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

@Gary K

Your challenge, which for everyone else seems quite easy and straight forward, actually leaves me a bit stumped. I simply don't remember with absolute certainty what were the first Premiums I acquired 😅

I remember for certain that Zavvi's Ratatouille was the first steelbook I ever bought and the one that launched my infatuation with this type of packaging.

But if I had to guess the first 5 Premiums, based on their release dates, it would probably be something like this:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy Fullslip C - Plain Archive

Oldboy Slipcase - Plain Archive

Reservoir Dogs Lenticular - Novamedia

Pulp Fiction Fullslip A - Novamedia

Pan's Labyrinth Type A1 - Kimchi/TheOn

image.thumb.jpeg.c4cf21000267fef6e55fe22822af2d65.jpeg

• Like 30

• ★ Administrators ★
3 hours ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

@Gary K

Your challenge, which for everyone else seems quite easy and straight forward, actually leaves me a bit stumped. I simply don't remember with absolute certainty what were the first Premiums I acquired 😅

I remember for certain that Zavvi's Ratatouille was the first steelbook I ever bought and the one that launched my infatuation with this type of packaging.

But if I had to guess the first 5 Premiums, based on their release dates, it would probably be something like this:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy Fullslip C - Plain Archive

Oldboy Slipcase - Plain Archive

Reservoir Dogs Lenticular - Novamedia

Pulp Fiction Fullslip A - Novamedia

Pan's Labyrinth Type A1 - Kimchi/TheOn

image.thumb.jpeg.c4cf21000267fef6e55fe22822af2d65.jpeg

It was meant to be “first (or close to the first)” and really more about your story of what got you into premiums and MP so no worries if you can’t remember what was first.  

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Gary K said:

It was meant to be “first (or close to the first)” and really more about your story of what got you into premiums and MP so no worries if you can’t remember what was first.  

There is really no story, bud 😅

It was generated by mere curiosity, rather than a clear idea of what Premiums consisted of.

It was nothing more than an experiment, which eventually led to the path we now all share.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• ★ Administrators ★
Just now, R1s1ngs0n said:

There is really no story, bud 😅

It was generated by mere curiosity, rather than a clear idea of what Premiums consisted of.

It was nothing more than an experiment, which eventually led to the path we now all share.

That’s enough for me!  Sometimes it is just curiosity followed by a recognition of appreciation.  

thanks for your submission my friend.  

• Like 7

I've been collecting since lockdown 2020, so the editions I'm about to share may not seem that old to a lot of you. Also, I haven't kept the most accurate records, but I've done the best I can to find my earliest premiums from different labels.

I chose not to include Titans of Cult as it's debatable whether they're even considered premium.

1. EverythingBlu - The Mummy Trilogy (The Book of the Living)

This was my second premium, purchased on the secondary market for a steal! To date, my favorite piece.

20221012_131142.jpg

2. Kimchi DVD - Whiplash OC

Top movie!

20221012_131032.thumb.jpg.49ab8986938cd77400e471ce5bbf1de3.jpg

3. Novamedia - John Wick 1, 2, 3

These were my first premiums, bought all at once on the secondary market.

20221012_130804.thumb.jpg.0ae26bc11280367b00579e6515d0a472.jpg

4. WeET - Avengers Infinity War Lenti

To date, WeET take the title for best lenticulars, in my mind. The depth and amount of layers are amazing.

20221012_130715.thumb.jpg.c931b3d0f3f64f5d43d0acce89b81933.jpg

5. HDZeta - Sherlock Holmes & Sherlock Holmes - a Game of Shadows Silver Label

Bought off a kid from ebay. My first HDZeta. Remember the purchase vividly. We met at a train station lol..

20221012_131559.thumb.jpg.a0df866735582e70be02c06d2646139a.jpg

Addicted ever since 🤣

Edited by Whodini
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Awards

CHALLENGE 5

1. This technically wasn't my first premium but it's precisely what got me into premiums and one clicks. Story time: I was only collecting steelbooks at the time and came across some Infinity War artwork by Matt Ferguson. I looked up the artwork and found art cards of the same piece and it belonged to this OC. It was an eBay listing for the art cards and an empty box. I think maybe $15. After I received it, I became curious as to what this "box set" was. I looked into it and discovered Blufans. The rabbit hole began.

Eventually I would go on to buy this one click in its sealed entirety. But the empty box of this release is my first ever experience with collecting premiums.

image.thumb.jpeg.c4566f5a5e82b7caa31ebfb3a058b942.jpeg

2. GotG v2 by WeET was my first ever premium purchase and I was able to purchase it directly from WeET's website. And it seems the day of May 18, 2019 was precisely the day I chose to jump into the rabbit hole. Because this was also the exact day I became a Media Psycho member. 

image.thumb.jpeg.997c237933e63f1f5f281d71119ca2a2.jpeg

image.png.09b7b9b9b4bec319b59a5800c8110633.png

image.thumb.png.29f9af8d7e2edbc8f5f13517bb5e3932.png

3. Captain America: Civil War by WeET was my very next one click. And evidently, I bought this exactly a week later, also directly from WeET. (I have WeET and Novamedia displayed together.)

image.thumb.jpeg.b1e87f652388b98ed1de3ca4766638ec.jpeg

4. Spider-Man: Homecoming by Filmarena would be my next purchase and the last time I bought something directly from a retailer. 

image.thumb.jpeg.fa8da7c81f778e7ac6b5b18eebdcdae6.jpeg

5. The Incredible Hulk by Blufans was next and the first time I purchased something thru Media Psychos. It was back when there was a trading/buying/selling system and this was up for grabs by John, himself. Honorable mention goes to Black Panther by Blufans because during discussion of this sale, John let me know he had that one too so I snagged it. (This is when I learned about the "shoe box".)

image.thumb.jpeg.b42b4c28fb61024c166372bbdabb7c1b.jpeg

After this, I joined my first Group Buy for WeET's Black Panther. 

The End

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

• ★ Administrators ★

CHALLENGE 5

1- My very first premium edition was Pulp Fiction from Novamedia.

Before that, I didn't find the interest in collecting such expensive editions, but once in hand, I never stopped 😅

2- Then I looked for other Novamedia editions, the next one was Reservoir Dogs (which I don't have anymore unfortunately), then Guardians of the Galaxy

3- I quickly looked for other retailers and placed my first orders with Manta Lab, first Mitty and then La La Land 

4- On the website of a French retailer, I was finally able to get other editions, like Big Hero 6 which was my first Blufans...

5- ...And with whom I also discovered the joy of pre-orders at Filmarena with my first edition: Prometheus

The rest is history....

1501275442_image0(4).thumb.jpeg.1f0b9544c5f9444ac28af944e4eef0bd.jpeg

• Like 32

IMG_2896.thumb.jpeg.db8966521218004f406e2bec5e4a8847.jpeg

Terminator 2 was my first purchase. One day when I was looking for information on the internet I saw in the google image results the incredible lenticular and steelbook from novamedia, which I had no idea what it was or where it was sold, I loved it. I had a good collection of blu-ray and dvd but no special editions other than some loose steelbook or some generic edition better treated by distributors . Time went by but I couldn't get this Terminator 2 edition out of my head . I searched and searched until one day I found it on Ebay USA and despite its high price(very expensive shipping to Spain) I decided to buy it without thinking about collecting more , just wanted to know if it was as good in hand as in pictures .   And of course ! it was better ! 

Guardians of the Galaxy was my second purchase, after savouring for some months my first purchase, I saw that this wonderful edition of Blufans would be on sale. This time I was investigating more and I was able to join to my first Group Buy, which I had never done before and I thought that I would probably lose the money and I would not get anything but the risk was worth it ! a few months later arrived it at home and I was impressed by the depth of the lenti, the design of the set and the beautiful steelbook that was inside.

I was hooked !

Martian and Avengers were also among the first ones, I couldn't say in which order, this time directly from Novamedia's website, also with that mixture of nerves for buying in a shop so far away and without any previous experience or reference from anyone I knew but everything went well and the idea of having a collection of my favourite films in premium editions was already a determination.

It was with The Shawshank Redemption from Hdzeta when I first came across Mediapsychos, some years after starting the collection and I finally found a place to share and read other fans of this hobby. Feeling part of a community that appreciates and values having a premium version of their favourite movies has been the culmination of my experience.  

• Like 28

Awards

• ★ Administrators ★

Very nice new posts since I last adjusted the point list 😊. Somehow this week is running like crazy and the next challenge is already getting closer 😱

Happy Thank U GIF

for sharing/participating @Blu Magic Ray @Darek @Cornbuster @Toapel (wow, great post and nice to see someone with a similar road like myself ☺️), @Rockntoni87 @CAYENNE-FAHRER @R1s1ngs0n @Whodini @Tonic24k @cypheria078

Thank for joining the challenge @BreakBeatDJ, even when you did not show 5 premium (as you are new to collecting them), I have given you a point as I enjoyed your post 🙏

Now I'm looking forward to some moe submission to challenge 5.

Episode 8 Nbc GIF by Law & Order

Don't miss out on your 5th point @ukade2327 @Sotaboy @Scary Hair @Ryan.miller.429 @Pbsw23 @Parzival @Noir21 @ncraft @hansreinhardt @Gladiator_MV @Gentleman @Cornrow @Casiusco @bungral @ajames212 @Adrip

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

Here we go on the phone again for the pickie poos 

The 1st ever steelbook in my collection ever is 

20221014_100818.thumb.jpg.ef40b03a317b77e50a32b89a70a3608a.jpg

The good old days of Play.com for under 30 quid .

MY 1st ever premium AWOL SO I have improvised with 

220221014_100934.thumb.jpg.90a5b87a75475f5b1cb62d25c10dfa45.jpg

Delivered  at the same time from  my 1st ever GB  and GB OC from Kimchi my 1st ever Asian  retailer as well

20221014_100859.thumb.jpg.f41729927d13a13c8f091296d4cb3b4a.jpg

Way back when my beloved DDave was our UK HUB  @DodgyDave

Then my 1st ever proper  Quarter Slip and delivery from Plain Archive

20221014_100957.thumb.jpg.a9ce9d826054fc90b5fd729608a0d248.jpg

The build quality  and weight in hand is amazing . The lenti is still one of the best I have ever seen.

A true under rated gem of a realise. 

My 1st ever Game Steelbook  and one of MY Grails

I give you Deus Ex Mankind  Devided 

IMG-20190807-WA0018.thumb.jpg.f635866766f071081a8b27494954c454.jpg

IMG-20190807-WA0017.thumb.jpg.3e36d63b6a9fa49622b40bf02b994e29.jpg

it took 5 years for me to find the one I wanted .

Only  available in France and possibly in joint place for the best video game ever

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Challenge #5:

1) KimchiDVD Memento

I had made it my goal to collect all of Christopher Nolan’s steelbooks. There was a standard steelbook for Memento that I just didn’t like, but then I saw the KimchiDVD version and I had to have it. Didn’t get the slip with it on Mercari, but I was excited to snag it and began researching premium edition of movies!

image.thumb.jpeg.d7e74f85d38444c08e3ef6c544ff5fdf.jpeg

#2) The Dark Knight HDZETA DL

This is where I started spending like a mad-man. 😅 I found someone on a site who was incredibly nice and was selling the HDZeta DLs! They started teaching me about how GBs worked and I began assembling the entire HDZETA Motherbox Set. They helped me a lot!!! And also thanks to John, I was able to complete my collection after he found me some OC Boxes and a Motherbox! 

image.thumb.jpeg.8ba9d0d2192e13026a3fddcd2859c93e.jpeg

3) Dune Manta Lab DL

My first completed DL on Media Psychos after I gained an understanding on how all of this worked!!!

image.thumb.jpeg.59b18fd2a9fc574184e6cd09de7cfe8b.jpeg

4) Joker Manta Lab

As I was assembling the HDZETA Motherbox, I couldn’t resist this one! 😬🤪

image.thumb.jpeg.5011df2f41a1d753cf6f7e7d55a421b3.jpeg

5) The Dark Knight UHD CLUB

I told myself that I would not get anything outside of steel books. But, I’m a sucker for The Dark Knight. This came up and I had to get it. I need to calm down on my TDK purchases. 😂

image.thumb.jpeg.3364dde9f52f5716cfe7a55b840d8f59.jpeg

And that’s my story!!! I’ve been here a little less than a year now and my wallet hurts. 😂😂😂

image.jpeg

Edited by damships
  • Like 26

Awards

8 minutes ago, damships said:

I told myself that I would not get anything outside of steel books. But, I’m a sucker for The Dark Knight. This came up and I had to get it. I need to calm down on my TDK purchases. 😂

Very nice collection and story.

I told myself the same thing, only steelbooks, but UHD Club got me to change my mind, too.

• Like 4

@extantsrevenge Thanks for the tag. Gave me the kick in the butt needed to stop being lazy about this.

Unlike you seasoned veterans having to dig deep into the recesses of your mind, I am still a newbie, so this challenge is actually pretty easy for me.

But I suppose some back story first. I was always in love with steelbooks, but I never really collected them seriously. Just bought whatever my favorite movies were whenever I happened across them in Best Buy. I think my wallet misses those days. 

The addiction started at the release of Spiderman No Way Home. You see, I’d managed to get Homecoming and Far From Home on steelbook and wanted to do the same for No Way Home. Little did I know it sold out before even making it to stores. Devastated I found my way to the steelbook subreddit. Luckily I managed to catch some random quick restock, but the damage was done. I was suddenly in the know of every single release ever, premiums and all. 

As you can maybe guess, No Way Home is the first premium that brought me to Media Psychos. Heard of this cool place that procures these puppies for you. Debated joining the group buy, but decided it was so expensive, and since I got my random pickup anyway it didn’t seem necessary to me…but then I saw the live shot and hoooo boy I regretted that decision. I had no idea they printed those slips so fancy, and I’m a sucker for fancy prints.

After that I came across Thor Ragnarok on eBay for a seemingly reasonable price. Fought myself on it for a bit, but after watching some YouTube unboxing on it finally said screw it and hit buy. And there was my start. First purchase done. I’d opened the floodgates and the hesitance to purchase more was gone. 

At some point in this whole story I’d joined the Reddit r/steelbook discord channel. In there they had their own selling/trading thing going on and it was there I picked up the Blade Runner 2049 kimchi edition as my second. While Ragnarok was the first purchase, BR was the first I’d actually gotten in hands (Ragnarok took like two months to get to me). I couldn’t stop running my fingers over the Fullslip. The textures were just so nice!

My first two group buys with Media Psychos weren’t far behind those two purchases. After missing No Way Home I sure as heck wasn’t gunna miss others I wanted. I joined up on the Weet Uncharted and Avengers Age of Ultron gbs. Uncharted showed up not too long after. Ultron took a while to show up, and while I definitely got a handful of others in that period I’m keeping it in my first 5.

Then there was the 4th of July sale @Masterblaster so generously put together. Managed to grab the Plain Archive Train to Busan from there to end my first 5 editions! I kinda lucked out that two of those happened to be different retailers because I swear half my collection is all Weet. 

961B26EF-2F30-47C4-AB73-85AC727F8176.thumb.jpeg.f57fc0397dc4ec19dd05bf5dacbcad8a.jpeg

Also side note, after lots of patience I managed to pick up both full slip options for No Way Home for good prices, so I’m no longer so bummed about missing them.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Awards

Thanks @extantsrevenge i thought i already submitted the challenge 😅

1. The blu - secret, creative edition : i guess this is my very first bluray collection. I didn't even know there were such cool collections from many other retailers before. This was my favorite movie at the time and i could luckily found this one while collecting ost cds and score sheets. 

2. Plain archive - The handmaiden : my first plain archive collection. I bought this one simply because the artwork was so cool😁 personally, this one looks the most luxurious among my collections

3. Hdzeta - jaws : This one was the first premium edition that made me interested in other overseas retailers. Plus, i found here MP at this period while searching other hdzeta' releases.

4. Filmarena - inception : my first film arena collection. before the interstellar, inception was my favorite among Christopher Nolan's works. The fact that it was difficult to get without a collectors number made me want this one more. I paid a lot of premiums to get this one😅

5. Manta lab - joker : my first manta lab collection. I watched this movie more than five times at the theatre, but  didn't noticed manta's release. I luckily got this one on a reasonable price from used market

20221014_223530.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Challenge #5:

1. Apocalypse Now

This edition is from 2001, almost the time of the dinosaurs in the world of collector's editions. It was released by a Spanish retailer that no longer exists, limited, numbered, and including inside an amaray and a very interesting book about the film.

It was the first collector's edition I bought, probably not yet knowing the value of what I was doing.

CH-2.jpg

2. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

It was the first collector's edition that I bought in these modern times, and I did it because this movie was not released in Spain and this edition is Zone Free and has subtitles in Spanish.

I still remember the day I picked it up at the main post office in my city, and opened it on the street, looking curiously at the goodies. I thought I bought something wonderful, and it's a good edition that I'm very fond of, but the best was yet to come.

CH-1.jpg

3. The Grand Budapest Hotel

After buying the previous "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For" edition, I started researching Korean collector's editions, and like many people in the Spanish community of which I'm a part, I started discovering KimchiDVD. As I was late in the business, I had to buy some of them on eBay, rather cheap, you know that in the beginning we all paid less for an edition than now (...), but in the case of this brilliant film by Wes Anderson, this was my first direct purchase in the KimchiDVD store. And I was very lucky.

One night I felt very bad, I was at a relative's house, I had been vomiting in the bathroom, dizzy, and I sat in the living room waiting to see if that torture had stopped or if I would have to go to the bathroom again. There, still, sufferinng and trying not to make noise and not wake anyone. It was very late, and at one point, when my stomach gave me a little break, I took my smartphone and saw -it was a surprise- that they had already opened the pre-order for this edition. I quickly made the purchase, paid, and ran back to the bathroom to vomit.

Probably, if it hadn't been for that, I would have been sleeping and wouldn't have known about this.

CH-3.jpg

4. The Master

When I started to discover the collector's editions through these Korean editions, someone in the Spanish community published some photos of this "The Master" edition by "Plain Archive". And I fell in love.

It's beautiful, in the hands it is even more beautiful, it's tremendously elegant, and rarely have I seen an edition more appropriate for a film, also designed with such good taste. The material of the full slip, the design of the steelbook,... it has it all.

This purchase of my first Plain Archive was probably what launched me into buying more Plain Archive's, and that definitely pushed me into collecting in general.

CH-5.jpg

5. The Birdman (Or The Uexpected Virtue of Ignorance)

When I had already bought a few Korean editions, this was my first purchase from Filmarena, the first time I waited by pressing F5 at the time preorders started. It was the next step: to have several retailers well controlled, not just one, and their days of releasing.

And it's a great edition. I have the impression that today they would not do an edition like this for this film.

CH-4.jpg

Edited by Casiusco
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Casiusco said:

3. The Grand Budapest Hotel

After buying the previous "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For" edition, I started researching Korean collector's editions, and like many people in the Spanish community of which I'm a part, I started discovering KimchiDVD. As I was late in the business, I had to buy some of them on eBay, rather cheap, you know that in the beginning we all paid less for an edition than now (...), but in the case of this brilliant film by Wes Anderson, this was my first direct purchase in the KimchiDVD store. And I was very lucky.

One night I felt very bad, I was at a relative's house, I had been vomiting in the bathroom, dizzy, and I sat in the living room waiting to see if that torture had stopped or if I would have to go to the bathroom again. There, still, sufferinng and trying not to make noise and not wake anyone. It was very late, and at one point, when my stomach gave me a little break, I took my smartphone and saw -it was a surprise- that they had already opened the pre-order for this edition. I quickly made the purchase, paid, and ran back to the bathroom to vomit.

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

A laugh emoji was not a sufficient response for this fantastic story.  Well told. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Challenge #5   Thanks to @Gary K for this fun challenge. It really got me going down a short but sweet memory lane.

1. Her (Kimchidvd)

I purchased my very first premium edition, Her from Kimchidvd, back in 2017. This film fascinated me, so much so I really needed to get my hands on a good one! That was when I first knew premium releases were out there, apart from standard ones.

What can I say? This lenticular steelbook edition is simply a sight for sore eyes😍

1133235180_1-1HER.thumb.jpg.d7dbf400319f71b6c3c9196d791108c6.jpg787155989_1-2HER.thumb.jpg.c39f363d380925cd9b552f857fcf28b1.jpg

2. Gone Girl (Blufans)

Here I am gushing about Gone Girl again.🙊 This film remains my favorite to date, and I still watch it religiously.

Gone Girl Lenticular Edition from Blufans was my second premium collection, purchased in 2018. It's a shame this film merely got one premium treatment (from Blufans). I wish there could be more from other labels as well! So considering all the options I can have, only owning more than one can do it justice! Yep, this marks the first time I've gone crazy enough to collect multiple copies.😂

1060467554_2GONEGIRL.thumb.jpg.0cd150baa615a6aa026704efc4491d36.jpg

3. Tenet (Manta Lab)

I was blown away by this Nolan film back in 2020, so when I first learned there would be a Manta premium release in 2021, I didn't think twice to join the pre-order (with the help of a private seller). And the rest was just a long yet worthwhile wait.

So yeah... This was the first time I pre-ordered a premium release.

372496613_3TENET.thumb.jpg.59832cd487f965b902606ddfd36cac25.jpg

4. Her (Manta Lab)

Me manifesting my love for this film again. This is my first One-Click collection, purchased in early 2022.

1343020166_4HEROC.thumb.jpg.bd85b7071626bb85f4111ac717754d90.jpg

5. Inception (UHD Club)

I came across Mediapsychos when I was doing some research online about premium releases of INCEPTION. It turned out MP was extremely helpful and informative to me, because I could refer to all those beautyshots and discussions from other psychos before deciding if I should buy one.

Shortly after I joined MP in June, I ended up buying a UC non-numbered edition of Inception. So, this is the one I first bought after I joined MP.

740731313_5INCEPTION.thumb.jpg.b27956d29c7e244e251a8d9854905521.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Awards

Challenge 5

We all see a lot of chatter on sites just like this one about “Grails”. To be honest with you, this whole ideology makes me groan and whiffs just a little bit of one up-man ship. It only ever seems to be the person who owns it, that is the one branding it a grail, as if they have lived and survived raiders of the lost ark. In most cases of these so called grails, I’m not even a fan of the movie so I am afraid it rolls right over head. But… each to their own of course, and it is always nice to see people so excited about owning something that means so much to them as individuals. I guess I hate the way that a grail has to come with a ridiculous price tag.

So, let’s drop the price tag and even the low numbers games for a moment, and therefore if a grail was to be purely based on what is dear to you, then for me this is my grail. It’s not even a Premium (I know this doesn’t count @Gary K 😁) It’s just a WWA mass produced steelbook, so what’s the big deal? The deal is, in 2012 this movie rocked my world. I fell in love with it instantly. 4 story lines coming together to create this cracker of a movie. Absolute game changer. Then I discovered something special was available for this movie, and I soon came to learn it was called a Steelbook. Who knew?! I simply had to have one of these. After spending quite some time searching and watching on eBay, I finally made my move on a sealed copy, and thus a new obsession was born.

E1E28AF4-19E7-4719-90DD-4AB6D666A9DA.thumb.jpeg.5b7e0acc4eae9963c03ac4e7310ba905.jpeg

Fast forward a couple of years and like everyone else, I now have quite a collection of these Steelbooks. These “rare” awesome collectors versions of Blu rays. And then, one day on twitter a steelbook collector I used to follow posts a pic… WTF is that?! 😵That’s Amazing!! It was Novamedia’s first foray into their Collection line. Again, I have to have it! Where did it come from? How do I get one? Once again, eBay was to become my saviour. 

After discovering that the steelbook inside was in fact the same one as the copy I already owned (WWA) I decided to keep it sealed, and despite being a big believer in opening editions, this one remains sealed today. After all, it is the first Nova Choice release.

DBB2C864-9B73-41B1-93FC-A0ACEBD9A498.thumb.jpeg.24dbd245c6bfabf689756cb083a40c2d.jpeg

Not long after this, a fellow collector tells me about Forums that run GB’s and not only that, but there are releases out there that are True premiums and contain Exclusive steelbooks! I discover Blu fans, Kimchi and Film Arena. Then, I hear about a new fun site that’s starting up called Media Psycho’s. Having never been on any forum before, let alone join a GB, I sign up to what was MPv1 and proudly become the 56th member. 

My first ever GB was now an Upgrade on my previous “grail”! I have officially become a Fullslip collector and immediately joined the “I want a complete MCU matching Fullslip line” clan. At this point I think we only had about 8 movies in the MCU in existence, and I put my money on Nova. Little did I know that this gravy train would come to an awkward end (and haven’t they all 😒). This was my first ever WEA.

6730E8F6-484E-4628-BC60-31CBB3D31DF6.thumb.jpeg.08861cbcffe71c40d9f6cb974f049047.jpeg

9142A96C-032D-4683-82AD-BC1E4A54AA10.thumb.jpeg.4bc427b18d0700bf591e3c9e483da42e.jpeg

As I say, I had now had my eyes widened to this amazing, seemingly secret world of collecting. I found out that I had missed Film Arena’s release of Ghost Rider, even though I did have the WWA steelbook housed inside. But now I’m not a steelbook collector, I’m a Premium Fullslip collector, and I have to have it!! Hello eBay my old friend (enabler). Let’s go and find me another upgrade shall we?

2941BA40-9B83-4955-ACE3-B754D0F33EDB.thumb.jpeg.407f6155f3031030c853b2410d7d00a5.jpeg

F3252035-49F0-456E-8474-DBF4C07CB343.thumb.jpeg.2b4229e9e3ee7bd0dc26883c750cc5e4.jpeg

Now at this point regarding my early MP GB’s, I went a little crazy (as we all do) and seemed to be joining most GB’s. Since that time, I have come to my senses a little and have actually sold majority of those on. Off the top of my head, I am thinking about Kimchi’s Spectre, Deadpool and Apocalypse, Nova’s first line of John Wicks (non 4K) among many others. 

Spectre was my first Premium Non-Marvel release, and in all honesty I am struggling to recall what came next. This one though is a Non Marvel that I also had to have. Keaton is my fav actor, and I would love to have a complete works by him in Full slip editions. Seems unlikely, but maybe one day.

622257F8-E1FD-4FCF-9DA1-D8285E87B987.thumb.jpeg.2bd8686fbaed29f4036f5f89e2b810b3.jpeg

0FDDB276-3BD4-4210-90C0-B0DA5A184483.thumb.jpeg.5b8bd39d0217e874ffeaa35cab62e682.jpeg

So, that’s 4 premiums across 2 retailers right? As I say, by this stage I was buying up Steelbooks like a fat boy in a cake shop, and it honestly all becomes a bit of a blur. But I do have this, which was also via an MP GB and I believe was back in 2016. Much like the Nova Choice first release, there was no way I was going to miss out on another First when it was Marvel.

Again, because it has a WWA steelbook inside of which I already have, and because it’s a first release for Manta, it remains sealed. Other firsts that I have such as Manta Exclusive MOS and WeET Exclusive Civil War, both had WEA so they are of course opened and enjoyed.

C8AEF57E-F62B-4CB9-BA73-A60E97A55F1F.thumb.jpeg.1f52f9d30124b2a8a03806caa19ae4d2.jpeg

Thanks @Gary K for the challenge. 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Thanks @extantsrevenge for the nudge before the deadline. 👍🏼

Thanks @Masterblaster for enabling myself and so many others to go on this journey. 🤘🏼

Edited by Pbsw23
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

• ★ Administrators ★
6 minutes ago, Pbsw23 said:

Challenge 5

We all see a lot of chatter on sites just like this one about “Grails”. To be honest with you, this whole ideology makes me groan and whiffs just a little bit of one up-man ship. It only ever seems to be the person who owns it, that is the one branding it a grail, as if they have lived and survived raiders of the lost ark. In most cases of these so called grails, I’m not even a fan of the movie so I am afraid it rolls right over head. But… each to their own of course, and it is always nice to see people so excited about owning something that means so much to them as individuals. I guess I hate the way that a grail has to come with a ridiculous price tag.

So, let’s drop the price tag and even the low numbers games for a moment, and therefore if a grail was to be purely based on what is dear to you, then for me this is my grail. It’s not even a Premium (I know this doesn’t count @Gary K 😁) It’s just a WWA mass produced steelbook, so what’s the big deal? The deal is, in 2012 this movie rocked my world. I fell in love with it instantly. 4 story lines coming together to create this cracker of a movie. Absolute game changer. Then I discovered something special was available for this movie, and I soon came to learn it was called a Steelbook. Who knew?! I simply had to have one of these. After spending quite some time searching and watching on eBay, I finally made my move on a sealed copy, and thus a new obsession was born.

E1E28AF4-19E7-4719-90DD-4AB6D666A9DA.thumb.jpeg.5b7e0acc4eae9963c03ac4e7310ba905.jpeg

Fast forward a couple of years and like everyone else, I now have quite a collection of these Steelbooks. These “rare” awesome collectors versions of Blu rays. And then, one day on twitter a steelbook collector I used to follow posts a pic… WTF is that?! 😵That’s Amazing!! It was Novamedia’s first foray into their Collection line. Again, I have to have it! Where did it come from? How do I get one? Once again, eBay was to become my saviour. 

After discovering that the steelbook inside was in fact the same one as the copy I already owned (WWA) I decided to keep it sealed, and despite being a big believer in opening editions, this one remains sealed today. After all, it is the first Nova Choice release.

DBB2C864-9B73-41B1-93FC-A0ACEBD9A498.thumb.jpeg.24dbd245c6bfabf689756cb083a40c2d.jpeg

Not long after this, a fellow collector tells me about Forums that run GB’s and not only that, but there are releases out there that are True premiums and contain Exclusive steelbooks! I discover Blu fans, Kimchi and Film Arena. Then, I hear about a new fun site that’s starting up called Media Psycho’s. Having never been on any forum before, let alone join a GB, I sign up to what was MPv1 and proudly become the 56th member. 

My first ever GB was now an Upgrade on my previous “grail”! I have officially become a Fullslip collector and immediately joined the “I want a complete MCU matching Fullslip line” clan. At this point I think we only had about 8 movies in the MCU in existence, and I put my money on Nova. Little did I know that this gravy train would come to an awkward end (and haven’t they all 😒). This was my first ever WEA.

6730E8F6-484E-4628-BC60-31CBB3D31DF6.thumb.jpeg.08861cbcffe71c40d9f6cb974f049047.jpeg

9142A96C-032D-4683-82AD-BC1E4A54AA10.thumb.jpeg.4bc427b18d0700bf591e3c9e483da42e.jpeg

As I say, I had now had my eyes widened to this amazing, seemingly secret world of collecting. I found out that I had missed Film Arena’s release of Ghost Rider, even though I did have the WWA steelbook housed inside. But now I’m not a steelbook collector, I’m a Premium Fullslip collector, and I have to have it!! Hello eBay my old friend (enabler). Let’s go and find me another upgrade shall we?

2941BA40-9B83-4955-ACE3-B754D0F33EDB.thumb.jpeg.407f6155f3031030c853b2410d7d00a5.jpeg

F3252035-49F0-456E-8474-DBF4C07CB343.thumb.jpeg.2b4229e9e3ee7bd0dc26883c750cc5e4.jpeg

Now at this point regarding my early MP GB’s, I went a little crazy (as we all do) and seemed to be joining most GB’s. Since that time, I have come to my senses a little and have actually sold majority of those on. Off the top of my head, I am thinking about Kimchi’s Spectre, Deadpool and Apocalypse, Nova’s first line of John Wicks (non 4K) among many others. 

Spectre was my first Premium Non-Marvel release, and in all honesty I am struggling to recall what came next. This one though is a Non Marvel that I also had to have. Keaton is my fav actor, and I would love to have a complete works by him in Full slip editions. Seems unlikely, but maybe one day.

622257F8-E1FD-4FCF-9DA1-D8285E87B987.thumb.jpeg.2bd8686fbaed29f4036f5f89e2b810b3.jpeg

0FDDB276-3BD4-4210-90C0-B0DA5A184483.thumb.jpeg.5b8bd39d0217e874ffeaa35cab62e682.jpeg

So, that’s 4 premiums across 3 retailers right? As I say, by this stage I was buying up Steelbooks like a fat boy in a cake shop, and it honestly all becomes a bit of a blur. But I do have this, which was also via an MP GB and I believe was back in 2016. Much like the Nova Choice first release, there was no way I was going to miss out on another First when it was Marvel.

Again, because it has a WWA steelbook inside of which I already have, and because it’s a first release for Manta, it remains sealed. Other firsts that I have such as Manta Exclusive MOS and WeET Exclusive Civil War, both had WEA so they are of course opened and enjoyed.

C8AEF57E-F62B-4CB9-BA73-A60E97A55F1F.thumb.jpeg.1f52f9d30124b2a8a03806caa19ae4d2.jpeg

Thanks @Gary K for the challenge. 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Thanks @extantsrevenge for the nudge before the deadline. 👍🏼

Thanks @Masterblaster for enabling myself and so many others to go on this journey. 🤘🏼

Outstanding submission my friend.  Thanks for participating and your story.  It was exactly the kind of back story I’d hoped to see.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I love reading everyone's story on how they started their collection. Here's mine.

I started with collecting  dvd's...... The collection grew pretty fast. When payday came hollywood video was my first stop. It really became important to me when I canc**!!ed the cable to give me and my Son something to watch. Every friday we would watch atleast 2 movies together. It is a bond we share to this day.20221015_183250.thumb.jpg.8ff29cc440f193d28b93ad8a1a6a6546.jpg Moving  forward I've heard of these steelbooks from bestbuy. The night Avengers Age of Ultron was released I drive to my local bestbuy and to my surprise it was sold out. 😆  I did find it on amazon. Thats what really started the physco in me.20221015_183904.thumb.jpg.05849eff0ca9fc520be2486e045f24a7.jpg20221015_183938.thumb.jpg.3674a0f2666402dbdcf7dc0eb1435fa8.jpg. One of my first purchases from Ebay was Novamedia John Wick fullslip.20221015_184810.thumb.jpg.8e5d5be58ad57aac81edc5a920e58dd2.jpg Cinemuseum full metal jacket and others. Very expensive endeavor.20221015_184912.thumb.jpg.47e112ca74232f07ac3bd88c28216901.jpg  I actually found MP when a purchase from ebay came with a card. Stupidly I joined years later. My first gb was weet X- Men Dark Phoenix fs.20221015_183130.thumb.jpg.e3de42a5dcefd81d545c0f5d27177bc6.jpg Second one I think was hdzeta Shazam dl. 20221015_183028.thumb.jpg.920f0f8b24cd0fa4a049958c1bc5e1a5.jpg If you read everything or just  some of this.   thanks for your time. Love it here and very glad we have this place to share. Thanks @Gary K for an awesome challenge. @extantsrevenge thanks for the reminder. 👍 

Edited by ajames212
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1