IGNORED

Media Psychos Psycho Challenge! NEW: CHALLENGE 38 IS NOW LIVE!

extantsrevenge

Challenge Number six: @InfiniteDoors & @extantsrevenge

B = Broken City

L = Long Shot

U = Unstoppable

M = Megan Leavy

A = A Bug's Life

G = Gringo

I  = IP Man 4

C = Contraband

R = Real Steel

A = American Sniper

Y = Triple 9 + Freaky = 25 = is the 25th letter in the alphabet

YA good fairy told me I could be creative here ... Movies with the letter "Y", difficult ... Y is the 25th letter in the alphabet and is made up of T(wo) and F(ive) for me 😉 🤪

image.thumb.jpeg.2b933f8484a1014711992beb62e34c5e.jpeg

• Like 29

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Blu Magic Ray:

Challenge Number six: @InfiniteDoors & @extantsrevenge

B = Broken City

L = Long Shot

U = Unstoppable

M = Megan Leavy

A = A Bug's Life

G = Gringo

I  = IP Man 4

C = Contraband

R = Real Steel

A = American Sniper

Y = Triple 9 + Freaky = 25 = is the 25th letter in the alphabet

YA good fairy told me I could be creative here ... Movies with the letter "Y", difficult ... Y is the 25th letter in the alphabet and is made up of T(wo) and F(ive) for me 😉 🤪

image.thumb.jpeg.2b933f8484a1014711992beb62e34c5e.jpeg

vor 2 Minuten schrieb extantsrevenge:

@Blu Magic Ray don't forget your username origin 😉

The name came about when the Blu-ray came out and my Avatar "The Wizzard" ... so it's Magic "Blu Magic Ray 😎

Unfortunately, there is no big fairy tale about my name, that's how it came about

• Like 17

1 hour ago, extantsrevenge said:

So lets give out some points 😊. Still some great challenge 5 entries 👍

@BreakBeatDJ I will allow the two movies, but to earn your point we still need to know the origin of your username.

At the birth of hip hop, when I was in my early teens, here in the US, I was a DJ.  I played mostly in parks, skating rinks, and an occasional "room" in a secret club, and later in college had a radio segment of hip hop mixes.  

I did get the amazing experience of playing at the first hip hop club in Florida, at Miami's The Beat Club on Byrd Rd.  On Friday nights, I rubbed shoulders with all the early luminaries of hip hop.  Amazing memories. (I am not in this picture of Run DMC performing at the Beat Club, but I was there! and I dj'd on that stage where Jam Master Jay (RIP) is standing)

image.png.ace4c430ff7236f8458a3f75cb2d427b.png

Back then, I owned every hip hop album there was, because, well, there weren't very many.

For an MC to rap, you have to have music playing underneath that has no words (so the words from the song don't interfere with the words of the rapper).  So, what you would do is find a "break" in a song that had only drums in it, no words, and usually only minimal instruments.

For example, the first few measures of the Aerosmith's song Walk This Way: it is only drums.  This is a break beat.  Now, we didn't use Aerosmith back then, Run DMC did that a few years later.  We mostly used beats from late 60s and 70s funk jazz, particularly albums that came on the Blue Note label.  (If you're interested in that music with loads of funky breaks, Blue Note released a series of CDs called Blue Break Beats in the 90s, easy to find and inexpensive and a fantastic sampler set of music from that era)

You take two copies of the album, Walk This Way for example, and you put them on two turntables, with a mixer in between.  While one of them is playing the break, you are "rewinding" the other one back to the beginning of the break.  So you alternate between the two turntables, one is playing the break, the other, you're rewinding to the beginning of the break.  

The few measures of exposed beats at the beginning of Walk This Way are not nearly long enough for an MC to rap over.  So the DJ, just keeps playing, and rewinding, and playing and rewinding the break beat and it can go on forever, so the rapper has time to spit his rhymes.  The DJ skill lies in the ability to do it seamlessly, so the beat never stops, and is always in perfect rhythm. 

Thus, I was a BreakBeatDJ

The end of the musicology lesson for today, Psychos.  You'll all be quizzed next week. :)) I'm sure our resident musicologist @ethnosax would ace the test!

And thanks for the fun challenge @extantsrevenge.   Keep them coming.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

My contribution for Challenge n'6

So for the origin, my username derivates from another one I used on IMsites 'Darkangel' which people shortened to Darki and when I was creating my avatar on Dofus something like 15years ago I decided to make it 'cuter' by adding the end. And it stuck with me since 😋

D. The Dark knight rises Novamedia 

A. Avengers Novamedia 

R. Rocketman Cinemuseum

K. Knives Out Kimchi/theOn

I. Inglourious Basterds Hdzeta 

N. The Northman Fnac 

O. Once upon a Time in Hollywood Blufans/Fanatics 

U. Underworld Collection Amazon Italy

X. X-Men Apocalypse Kimchi 

IMG_20221018_135756.jpg

• Like 32

• ★ Administrators ★
15 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

@extantsrevenge 

jane-the-virgin-petra-solano.gif

Risingson is a song by Massive Attack from their seminal album Mezzanine. It's one of my favorite songs by them and I've always loved that title.

I replaced the 'I' & 'O' with 1 & 0 - both digits comprise my daughter's birth date (october 11th).

Love that song. 

• Like 8

Challenge #6:

D: Dunkirk

A: Aquaman

M: The Martian

S: Sicario

H: Heat

I: Insomnia

P: The Prestige

S: The Shining

Meaning: When I was a kid, my sister brought us back some souvenirs from the Hoover Dam. She got me a shirt that simply read “dam ships”. It was a play on words for ‘Ships at the dam’ and “Damn ships!”. Ever since then, I’ve always used it as a screen name for everything (gaming, forums, usernames). Not an incredible insightful story, but now you know! Lol

30427BE7-8C43-4FEF-9CE4-081CAF38C580.jpeg

• Like 34

Awards

On 10/16/2022 at 10:59 PM, InfiniteDoors said:

There's a new BioShock? (This gif is crap but for some reason there's a terrible lack of Liz gifs)

miss name GIF

Yep. Well...in production and to my knowledge no announcements whatsoever. But I saw some weapon animations he's already done. It's super early in development so I'm guessing we won't see anything official on it until later this year or next.

• Like 1

Week 6 challenge  thanks to @InfiniteDoorsfor this great suggestion!

L - Logan (FAC + lenticular magnet)

U - Up (Blufans )

N - Nutracker and the Four Realms (BestBuy)

A - Alien Covenant (FAC )

Z - Zootopia (Blufans)

E - Edward Scissorhands (+ FAC lenticular magnet)

R - Ready Player One (Manta Lab)

O - Oz the Great and Powerful (Blufans)

Before I had the greatest passion for films (although I had love watching these since a child) I used to see a lot of bands live. One of my favourites and still making new albums as we speak is the Smashing Pumpkins. To choose a username I bound two of their songs from possibly the greatest albums of the 20th Century:

Siamese Dream "Luna"

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness "Zero"

Definitely check out both albums on iTunes, Spotify, YouTube and whatever else takes your fancy!

IMG_5177.thumb.jpg.926d216c6ca174120e6b4de34713befa.jpg

• Like 32

Awards

8 hours ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

At the birth of hip hop, when I was in my early teens, here in the US, I was a DJ.  I played mostly in parks, skating rinks, and an occasional "room" in a secret club, and later in college had a radio segment of hip hop mixes.  

I did get the amazing experience of playing at the first hip hop club in Florida, at Miami's The Beat Club on Byrd Rd.  On Friday nights, I rubbed shoulders with all the early luminaries of hip hop.  Amazing memories. (I am not in this picture of Run DMC performing at the Beat Club, but I was there! and I dj'd on that stage where Jam Master Jay (RIP) is standing)

image.png.ace4c430ff7236f8458a3f75cb2d427b.png

Back then, I owned every hip hop album there was, because, well, there weren't very many.

For an MC to rap, you have to have music playing underneath that has no words (so the words from the song don't interfere with the words of the rapper).  So, what you would do is find a "break" in a song that had only drums in it, no words, and usually only minimal instruments.

For example, the first few measures of the Aerosmith's song Walk This Way: it is only drums.  This is a break beat.  Now, we didn't use Aerosmith back then, Run DMC did that a few years later.  We mostly used beats from late 60s and 70s funk jazz, particularly albums that came on the Blue Note label.  (If you're interested in that music with loads of funky breaks, Blue Note released a series of CDs called Blue Break Beats in the 90s, easy to find and inexpensive and a fantastic sampler set of music from that era)

You take two copies of the album, Walk This Way for example, and you put them on two turntables, with a mixer in between.  While one of them is playing the break, you are "rewinding" the other one back to the beginning of the break.  So you alternate between the two turntables, one is playing the break, the other, you're rewinding to the beginning of the break.  

The few measures of exposed beats at the beginning of Walk This Way are not nearly long enough for an MC to rap over.  So the DJ, just keeps playing, and rewinding, and playing and rewinding the break beat and it can go on forever, so the rapper has time to spit his rhymes.  The DJ skill lies in the ability to do it seamlessly, so the beat never stops, and is always in perfect rhythm. 

Thus, I was a BreakBeatDJ

The end of the musicology lesson for today, Psychos.  You'll all be quizzed next week. :)) I'm sure our resident musicologist @ethnosax would ace the test!

And thanks for the fun challenge @extantsrevenge.   Keep them coming.

Do you feature anywhere, or have any Oldschool mix tapes etc. that it is possible to listen too?

Im a Big Hip Hop fan which for the UK back in the day, was a little rare. Used to drive around in my first car with a battery operated (cost me a fortune in batteries) boom box on the back seat, banging out a Terminator X, Tribe Called Quest, De La etc etc. Purely because the car stereo was Shite. 😂

Also have you seen The Get Down on Netflix? Not quite true to form, but still enjoyable all the same (Produced by and features Nas vocals).

• Like 4

Media Psychos Challenge #6

So ...Here we are 6 weeks in and 5 points up , thanks to @InfiniteDoors for this teaser challenge , not as easy as one might think , but for those with large collections to drift through it's a bit easier ..... so Here we go 

U. - Unforgiven

K. - Kong - Skull Island

A. - Apocalypto

D. - Drive

E. - Event Horizon

2. - 2 Guns

3. - Three Billboards ........

2. - 2001 - A Space Odyssey

7. - Seven

A7F461DB-E270-4325-9663-CD0BF08F168E.thumb.jpeg.82f75c76ffd421a6ddfd50286c746965.jpeg

As for the user name ...not that deep and meaningful as some previous mentions UK ...Where I Live .....Ade ... Name ...23..27 ... Family Birthdates ... see ...simple ..

• Like 29

Challenge #6: Another good one! Been so curious about a few of the usernames on here. 👀 

a Alien - Filmarena

Nightcrawler - Mondo

t True Romance - Arrow Video

I Am Legend - HDZeta

a Apocalypse Now - Novamedia

p Pan's Labyrinth - Mondo

a Atomic Blonde - KimchiDVD

Thor - Blufans

h How the Grinch Stole Christmas - CM

e Edge of Tomorrow - HDZeta

t Thor Ragnarok - WeET

i Interstellar - HDZeta

c Constantine - Manta Lab

I've been using the same sn since freshman year of high school. Apathy came up as a term in civics class and I've always tried to base my life around empathy... so it struck a chord with me. No idea where I first used it but being young, optimistic, and far less cynical at the time, it stuck. I've mulled over others for awhile now, something a bit more comical, but every time a new login screen pops up it seems so much easier to use what's familiar rather than juggle even more names across even more sites. I'm much more laid back and not as serious as the name implies! 🙃 

20221018_161154.thumb.jpg.8330a5bfcdc522189b4fab07a421e45c.jpg20221018_161348.thumb.jpg.792f7562e06d862faf0e9b01617ee1b0.jpg20221018_161527.thumb.jpg.3864c3cd9206fae86fc544b6dca485bc.jpg

• Like 30

Challenge #6

This one is tough. Let's go with…

IMG_20221018_173211.thumb.jpg.0447dcc7fced56662500785afd556443.jpg
"Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The" & "Army of Shadows, The"

IMG_20221018_170634.thumb.jpg.ff258c4ddd76356e879756d03c8b754e.jpg
"Milk" & "What's Eating Gilbert Grape"

IMG_20221018_170801.thumb.jpg.96326bc05c41c6532f555ce46f77c5f5.jpg
"JFK" (Not technically premium, but still a great set!)

IMG_20221018_171151.thumb.jpg.199a0a52e6cb4c0843ca123a76d46b7e.jpg
"Once Upon a Time in America", "Haider" & "Nicholas and Alexandra" (Standard Blu-Rays, but rare ones!)

And… Erm…

IMG_20221018_173418.thumb.jpg.1f44d3e207356ffbd9b018fb07fdcd80.jpg

'95's "La Haine" & '54's "Seven Samurai"

And now, the epic story of where I came up with the username camwjohn95!

Picture this… It was a scorching day in Alabama in '95, and I was named Cam, with the middle initial W., by a couple whose last name started with John… And that's it. Did you catch all of the complex allegorical symbols in that Fassbinderian opus?

• Like 27
  • Haha 1

Awards

Challenge #6

Thanks for the idea, @InfiniteDoors!

My username doesn't really have an interesting origin. I am not a creative person so I usually have to look for someone else to give me an idea 🤣. I was looking for a new gamertag on Xbox one night and was having a hard time coming up with one that I liked. I had The Simpsons on in the background while I was thinking about it and this character was introduced...

homer simpson GIF

And there you have it. I used a "0" instead of an "O" because the name was already taken in that form. I usually have a space after "Guy" and I think I must have made a typo when entering my name when I signed up here. Whoops!

Anyway...I had to dig into my amarays to get a "Y"

G - Gattaca (EverythingBlu)

U - Us (Manta Lab FS)

Y - Yesterday amaray

I - I, Tonya (Plain Archive)

N - No Time to Die (Best Buy)

C - Cruella (SM Life)

O - Onward (Sm Life)

G - Ghostbusters: Afterlife (custom steelbook)

- The Nice Guys FS A1 (KimchiDVD)

I - It's a Wonderful Life (wide release steelbook)

T - Tommy Boy (FYE Exclusive - at the time anyway)

0 - Zero Dark Thirty (Plain Archive)

hrm6uXO.jpg

• Like 32

Went with a Halloween/horror theme here:

M - Midsommar

R - Re-Animator

D - Dawn of the Dead

U - Ugetsu

G - Ghostbusters

A - Amityville

N - Nightmare Sisters (this will do until there’s a 4K box of Nightmare on Elm St)

When I was in college there were a lot of “rate me” or “rate my” websites and one of those sites was “rate my poo”. A “Dugan” was a slang term we used for a poop. I was in a house of 5-6 guys and we created a communal account on the rate my poo website with the user name “Mr Dugan”. Looking back at it, this was the early 2000s before most cellphones had cameras. I don’t really remember how we took pictures of our turds and uploaded them to the website. Did we actually use a film camera, develop the film, scan the pic onto a computer, and then upload the image?!? Website appears to be gone; we always got a kick out of the names/titles we would come up with (as you had to title each post) and at the fact that so many people had looked at our craps. Anyways, I have really been re-using the name for various message boards ever since. 

• Like 16

4 hours ago, Mrdugan said:

Went with a Halloween/horror theme here:

M - Midsommar

R - Re-Animator

D - Dawn of the Dead

U - Ugetsu

G - Ghostbusters

A - Amityville

N - Nightmare Sisters (this will do until there’s a 4K box of Nightmare on Elm St)

When I was in college there were a lot of “rate me” or “rate my” websites and one of those sites was “rate my poo”. A “Dugan” was a slang term we used for a poop. I was in a house of 5-6 guys and we created a communal account on the rate my poo website with the user name “Mr Dugan”. Looking back at it, this was the early 2000s before most cellphones had cameras. I don’t really remember how we took pictures of our turds and uploaded them to the website. Did we actually use a film camera, develop the film, scan the pic onto a computer, and then upload the image?!? Website appears to be gone; we always got a kick out of the names/titles we would come up with (as you had to title each post) and at the fact that so many people had looked at our craps. Anyways, I have really been re-using the name for various message boards ever since. 

As @Chief_lookout noted, upload some pics of your videos to get the points.  But please, god, please, do not show us any of Mr Dugan's pics.   

Reaction GIF

Computer No GIF

• Haha 9

On 10/16/2022 at 8:26 AM, InfiniteDoors said:

Amarays and DVDs count, VHS if you're truly desperate lol. Unless @extantsrevenge wants you all to suffer 🤣

@Chief_lookout @ukade2327 @BreakBeatDJ Did I miss a rules update? Many previous posts have used non-steelbooks. 

Edit - oh! My picture didn’t post. Wtf. Thanks

533E45D1-5A22-46BE-A1AF-3A4A226BFDD8.jpeg

Edited by Mrdugan
Forgot pic
  • Like 29

10 minutes ago, Mrdugan said:

@Chief_lookout @ukade2327 @BreakBeatDJ Did I miss a rules update? Many previous posts have used non-steelbooks. 

Edit - oh! My picture didn’t post. Wtf. Thanks

533E45D1-5A22-46BE-A1AF-3A4A226BFDD8.jpeg

Any media format counts … Even VHS if you have it …😆

Edited by ukade2327
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4