IGNORED

What did you watch last night???

Basil

I'm very happy to hear that you've been taken by the "Attack On Titan" series @soundsorange 😀

I and a number of folks here at this site are big fans of anime and we in fact have an "Anime Section" that may interest you.

We discuss new shows, display pics of recent pick-ups and even do the same for related topics such as figs, manga, art books, etc...

Here's a link to the Master Thread from which you may select topic of interest.

Link;

https://mediapsychos.com/forum/178-anime/

We'd love to see pics of your physical collection and you may discover some lovely eds of some premium shows yourself that are of interest.

As for "AoT", I think it has all the makings for a modern day "classic" as it transcends the "Otaku vs Normie" stygma, much like NG: Evangelion did in its day.

I and my girls, love it! ( and we of course, have all the Blus to date, excited for S-4!)

Cheers

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Grendel said:

I'm very happy to hear that you've been taken by the "Attack On Titan" series @soundsorange 😀

I and a number of folks here at this site are big fans of anime and we in fact have an "Anime Section" that may interest you.

We discuss new shows, display pics of recent pick-ups and even do the same for related topics such as figs, manga art books, etc...

Here's a link to the Master Thread from which you may select topic of interest.

Link;

https://mediapsychos.com/forum/178-anime/

We'd love to see pics of your physical collection and you may discover some lovely eds of some premium shows yourself that are of interest.

As for "AoT", I think it has all the makings for a modern day "classic" as it transcends the "Otaku vs Normie" stygma, much like NG: Evangelion did in its day.

I and my girls, love it! ( and we of course, have all the Blus to date, excited for S-4!)

Cheers

Thanks so much for the message @Grendel appreciate it! Had no idea about the anime thread so thanks for telling me, I’ll join that now 😊 I’ll make sure to post a pic soon of my collection!

revy GIF

Edited by soundsorange
  • Like 2

Awards

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

The Godfather, Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone Blu-ray

image.jpeg.c1d8ce302771e48de9f891940444aca6.jpeg

Michael Corleone, now in his 60s, seeks to free his family from crime and find a suitable successor to his empire. That successor could be fiery Vincent, but he may also be the spark that turn's Michael's hope of business legitimacy into an inferno of mob violence. 

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

image.thumb.jpeg.cce08adfe4a79e17cbc805ecdd675d7b.jpeg

image.jpeg.f02b1871e1682df84d528ed79868bab1.jpeg

Chapter 15: The Believer

To move against the Empire, the Mandalorian needs the help of an old enemy.

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

GUEST_3ebd181c-84bf-4c25-b2de-f76f3b239a

13 Hours (2016, Michael Bay)

I watched it last night without knowing the story. It's a very entertaining movie, I had a great time. 

I was struck by the extent to which some parts of the world are so used to war conflicts that they can be sitting at home watching how they shoot in the house next door, while drinking a little again. 

And how sometimes in these stories there is much more chaos, confusion and humanity than meets the eye. When sometimes you don't even know who is with you and who wants to kill you.

It was a good choice for last night.

• Like 2

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

image.jpeg.6691571339914f7a1f10d318376deab6.jpeg

Episode 1

Love in Amsterdam

Art, politics, and passion mix in a case that breaks in Piet Van der Valk’s new assistant and prompts discord with the police chief.

Episode 2

Only in Amsterdam

A Muslim worker at a clinic is found dead. Evidence 
connects her to a library where she researched religious erotica—an interest she shared with a nun.

Episode 3

Death in Amsterdam

When a fashion vlogger turns up dead, Cloovers takes special interest in the case. Piet and Dahlman confront the vengeful son of a corrupt cop.

Six Surprising Facts About Van der Valk Novelist Nicolas Freeling 

If you think police detective Piet Van der Valk is unconventional, wait until you learn about his creator. From the prison sentence that started him on the Van der Valk novels, to his culinary prowess and more, meet the man behind the international best-selling Van der Valk book series.

Van der Valk

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Casiusco said:

13 Hours (2016, Michael Bay)

I watched it last night without knowing the story. It's a very entertaining movie, I had a great time. 

I was struck by the extent to which some parts of the world are so used to war conflicts that they can be sitting at home watching how they shoot in the house next door, while drinking a little again. 

And how sometimes in these stories there is much more chaos, confusion and humanity than meets the eye. When sometimes you don't even know who is with you and who wants to kill you.

It was a good choice for last night.

I enjoyed that one, too.

As much sh1t as people like to give Michael Bay, I'd say he's one of the rare filmmakers who can marry CGI with practical effects (especially with the first "Transformers" film and onwards) in such a way that is mostly seamless.

• Like 2

On 12/7/2020 at 11:15 PM, soundsorange said:

Love it! I like your assessment Ann 😊 I got the trilogy in the steel tin recently, but not sure whether I like it (I thought it was going to be a steelbook!). Gonna order the French steel of the first Mad Max (yellow one), it’s lovely.

I have a the Guzoline can edition AND the individual steels  .

Fury Road for me was not Max Tom Hardy was far too safe to be Max .

Charlize Theron could have carried that movie on her own with NO Mad Max banner needed .

The Original Trilogy can never be bettered lots have tried  

The mix of

hope and Horror 

with such a deft and magnificent touch is a thing to behold .  To watch the movies grow from a small budget and 2 kids out of film school with such anbelief in a project inspired by Byron Kennedys Outback Dr Dad attending accidents on the road s .

To build such a world and such a flawed  hero .

The only other who I can liken Max to is Roy Batty for the depth and pathos given in a role .

Mad Max , Road Warrior and Thunderdome  are and always will be a solid re watch 

tina turner aunty entity GIF

• Like 2

The Professor and the Madman  10 out of 5

Now I only gave this a watch due to being a Mel Gibson fangirl .  Sean Penn I never got why he got the praise that he has well my opinion is now changed .

This is the true story of professor James Murray, who despite being looked down by his peers for leaving school at 14 .

In 1879 became director of an Oxford University Press leading to the compiling of  The New English Dictionary on Historical Principles . We know it now as the Oxford English Dictionary

reaching out to anyone to submit the background to the words used to make up the English Language .

One being a man who became his friend and colleague, W. C. Minor, a doctor who submitted more than 10,000 entries while he was confined at Broadmoor Criminal Lunatic Asylum at Crowthorne after being found not guilty of murder due to insanity. Today it would be known as PTSD .

For me period dramas can be a lot meh . 

This one broke the mould and even though it has religious and a faith based theme it is done in a way with compassion and skill that quite frankly needs

a premium 

I will leave the trailer here 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Fortis93 said:

I enjoyed that one, too.

As much sh1t as people like to give Michael Bay, I'd say he's one of the rare filmmakers who can marry CGI with practical effects (especially with the first "Transformers" film and onwards) in such a way that is mostly seamless.

I'm agree. 

And I also think that most of the people who systematically criticize all his films don't understand that everything has its own moment.

Sometimes your day is to see a movie by Godard, Lynch, Tarkovsky, or whoever, and many others you need Michael Bay, Roland Emmerich, John Woo, and many others. 

And everything have to be respected.

In my case, I am very proud to have in my collection very different types of cinema.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51J7P3HluGL._SY445_.jpg

Entertaining movie, but it could be much better than it is.

Good actors, a good start, but when the McGuffin goes from murdering a girl to a much larger social and legal situation, involving a drug mafia, the director loses his pulse a bit.

He begins by making a good detective film, and at some point he tries to make this have a personal, human, and even social background, which he does not reach; to finish fulfilling some topics perhaps already a little worn. 

Still, an entertaining and very valid movie to pass the time.

And to his credit I have to say that the harshness in some scenes makes the film involve you more than usual, when the viewer sees it on automatic pilot.

But it leaves me with the feeling that part of its insignificance comes because it could have been much more, and it has been in the middle of several things, without winning in any.

• Like 1

image.jpeg.e10f965c3dddacba8aeecc97f416547d.jpeg

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

image.jpeg.9eb3f712cbac4fcf06ce166300f7f663.jpeg

THOR’S HAMMER
EPISODE #: 109     AIR DATE: 09.26.97      star-full_s.gifstar-full_s.gifstar-full_s.gif 

Teal'c and O'Neill are transported to an underground cage designed by the Asgard to protect an alien world from the Goa'uld. Teal'c cannot escape the labyrinth while his larval Goa'uld lives.

image.jpeg.765fb2799c1cdba7d3c13fec1765d158.jpeg

THE TORMENT OF TANTALUS
EPISODE #: 110     AIR DATE: 10.03.97      star-full_s.gifstar-full_s.gifstar-full_s.gifstar-full_s.gif 
SG-1 tracks down Catherine Langford's fiance, who took the first Stargate trip in 1945, and discovers an ancient meeting hall that may hold the secrets of the universe itself.

image.jpeg.0a1e134bf7ed396cba3f019361da6161.jpeg

BLOODLINES
EPISODE #: 111     AIR DATE: 10.10.97      star-full_s.gifstar-full_s.gifstar-half_s.gif 
Teal'c returns to Chulak to stop his people from implanting his son with a larval Goa'uld, but must sacrifice himself to save him.

image.jpeg.635189d57dda566ac9bf51adc91d7924.jpeg

FIRE AND WATER
EPISODE #: 112     AIR DATE: 10.17.97      star-full_s.gifstar-full_s.gif 
Daniel is taken captive by an alien with a hidden agenda, while SG-1 is made to believe he is dead.
Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Casiusco said:

Sometimes your day is to see a movie by Godard, Lynch, Tarkovsky, or whoever, and many others you need Michael Bay, Roland Emmerich, John Woo, and many others. 

You know? In some other life, I feel like we really would've been the same person. xD

My own collection is a chaotic blend of different types of films: Casablanca sits next to my Predator set which sits next to Wild Strawberries which sits next to Commando...etc.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Scary Hair said:

Mad Max , Road Warrior and Thunderdome  are and always will be a solid re watch 

For me, The Road Warrior remains the best of the four films. It's really an airtight movie in terms of plotting and pacing (and the action, I think is the best of the series mostly because it feels the most dangerous).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

image.jpeg.40eaeb0b34f4c05a12037eeb851df613.jpeg

A promising young detective, Ryan Barnes, arrives home on his anniversary to find his wife has been in a devastating car accident. Seven months later she is still in a coma and Barnes, unable to accept her condition, throws himself into a new investigation that soon develops into a murder investigation and manhunt for a serial killer. As the investigation comes to a head, Barnes is forced to accept that there are parallels between his own wife and the victims, and begins to question his own moral beliefs. As he desperately searches for the killer, Barnes’ doubts increase. Do the motives of the crimes fit the killer he is chasing?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Veum said:

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

image.jpeg.40eaeb0b34f4c05a12037eeb851df613.jpeg

A promising young detective, Ryan Barnes, arrives home on his anniversary to find his wife has been in a devastating car accident. Seven months later she is still in a coma and Barnes, unable to accept her condition, throws himself into a new investigation that soon develops into a murder investigation and manhunt for a serial killer. As the investigation comes to a head, Barnes is forced to accept that there are parallels between his own wife and the victims, and begins to question his own moral beliefs. As he desperately searches for the killer, Barnes’ doubts increase. Do the motives of the crimes fit the killer he is chasing?

Haven’t heard of this one, will need to check it out! What was your rating /10, Mike?

• Like 1

Awards

10 hours ago, soundsorange said:

Haven’t heard of this one, will need to check it out! What was your rating /10, Mike?

Hey Rory @soundsorange,

Yeah I found this on Prime Video as I was searching for a Winter scenery crime drama (because we got about 2 inches of beautiful snow overnight)  and this looked somewhat interesting to me.

I like to use these for films/TV - 🎬out of 5, so I rated this a 5 out of 5... what I like about this movie was the UK scenery (so beautiful that always gives me that good-feeling inside, I can not pin-point why, but this happens every time, a sort of good euphoria feeling) this is one of my top criteria for most films that I enjoy the most!

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mam_y_pap-725038241-mmed.jpg

Nicholas Cage has become a film genre on its own. His films of the last few years, outside the blockbuster environment, and generally low-budget, begin to seem like a world apart.

I watched "Mom and Dad" last night. The story is simple: one day, suddenly, and without knowing why, all over the world parents begin to have the instinct to want to kill their children. Which brings it closer to a mix of a zombie movie and an ironic family comedy.

The film is entertaining, it has a lot of rhythm, and among its actors it also has Selma Blair, or Lance Henriksen. Even so, there is a section, in the central third of the film, where that rhythm is limited to being a rapid succession of shots and scenes, relying too much on usual topics, losing the pulse and strength of the narrative, before recovering it again in the last part.

In my opinion, that is what separates it from a simply entertaining film, from a truly powerful film.

It was a good time. Sometimes funny. But no more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬 1/2

Prime Video

Law of the Land

In this arctic western on the Finnish-Norwegian border, an illegitimate son of a retiring police officer is released from prison and is terrorizing the area. It soon spirals out of control and turns violent, forcing him to face his past.

image.jpeg.7df49666a3f3c2933be975b93b05163c.jpeg

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬

Mihkel

Twenty years after Estonia regained its independence in 1991, two Estonian childhood friends decide to move to the beautiful island. However, events take an unexpected turn.

Mihkel

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬

The Lie

A father and daughter are on their way to dance camp when they spot the girl’s best friend on the side of the road. When they stop to offer the friend a ride, their good intentions soon result in terrible consequences.

The Lie

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

• ★ Administrators ★

Christopher Nolan GIF by Regal

So I received my Tenet 4K Steelbook yesterday and watched the movie in the evening. To be honest I’m not impressed. I already did not like Interstellar that much (as obviously the rest of the world did), Dunkirk was rather boring and Tenet… yeah.

Sure Nolan did again try to create a unique movie, a unique Nolan movie that is. And I think in this Movie you could feel that it was rather about him and not about anything else.

The actors were all rather plain, not a single one did add anything mesmerizing to the performance. All delivered more wooden performances. Not such an impressive cast like on previous movies from Nolan, I guess he wanted to be the only alpha male on the set.

I read in advance that many did have a problem to understand the movie, I don’t think it was hard to understand, I think most of the impression might have been because of the constant nonstop bombardment of one of the most stupid scores in Film history. From the beginning a never ending roar of loud and stupid sounds is thrown at you, which is very distracting and I assume Nolan wanted it exactly like that, so you have the impression something complicated is happening, it is not.

Besides the horrible Music, the sound mix on the 4K was the worst I ever experienced on a 4K, normally you can understand the spoken text very good on a 4K, here it was hard.

The story itself, was supposed to be unique but it was one of these films you can rip apart scene by scene when you analyze. I think in the end Nolan himself did not really pay attention to the details that much, because he did not abide by the rules the characters established themselves in later parts.

The big gimmick this movie had was stupid, it did not create memorable scenes like he was able to do in Inception. One of the big reveals the movie had was not big at all, I think it was clear from very early on that it would be like that. I don’t want to spoil the first time watching for anyone, so I will not go into detail on the stuff that went on.

Also the overall thread the movie had was not established very good, I was never really captivated by what was going on.

The complete movie felt like it was engineered to make the audience believe it was something totally out of the box, with the focus on trying to deliver a mind-bending experience. I don’t think that some loud sounds, fast cuts and characters (you never care about) and who talk like 95% of the time (with loud noise in the background) can deliver that.

The action sequences also did not impress that much, nothing special about them, especially the endgame felt small.

Memento, The Dark Knight Trilogy, The Prestige and Inception are a terrific streak of movies you rarely see from a filmmaker (don’t care for Insomnia it is a remake and not so strong), but for me Nolan lost a lot after that. I do not like when Filmmakers get so big that they can do practically whatever and the followers will praise everything no matter what it is. I applaud him for trying different ideas and making something else, but I think it did not work on Tenet and I hope his next movie will be something I like more.

Of course all only my opinion fell free to worship the movie.

I would give the movie 7 of 10 Points. Rewatch value very low, I already feel very annoyed that I will end up buying the FAC and HDZeta editions for my sets.

• Like 2

Spoiler
6 hours ago, extantsrevenge said:

Christopher Nolan GIF by Regal

So I received my Tenet 4K Steelbook yesterday and watched the movie in the evening. To be honest I’m not impressed. I already did not like Interstellar that much (as obviously the rest of the world did), Dunkirk was rather boring and Tenet… yeah.

Sure Nolan did again try to create a unique movie, a unique Nolan movie that is. And I think in this Movie you could feel that it was rather about him and not about anything else.

The actors were all rather plain, not a single one did add anything mesmerizing to the performance. All delivered more wooden performances. Not such an impressive cast like on previous movies from Nolan, I guess he wanted to be the only alpha male on the set.

I read in advance that many did have a problem to understand the movie, I don’t think it was hard to understand, I think most of the impression might have been because of the constant nonstop bombardment of one of the most stupid scores in Film history. From the beginning a never ending roar of loud and stupid sounds is thrown at you, which is very distracting and I assume Nolan wanted it exactly like that, so you have the impression something complicated is happening, it is not.

Besides the horrible Music, the sound mix on the 4K was the worst I ever experienced on a 4K, normally you can understand the spoken text very good on a 4K, here it was hard.

The story itself, was supposed to be unique but it was one of these films you can rip apart scene by scene when you analyze. I think in the end Nolan himself did not really pay attention to the details that much, because he did not abide by the rules the characters established themselves in later parts.

The big gimmick this movie had was stupid, it did not create memorable scenes like he was able to do in Inception. One of the big reveals the movie had was not big at all, I think it was clear from very early on that it would be like that. I don’t want to spoil the first time watching for anyone, so I will not go into detail on the stuff that went on.

Also the overall thread the movie had was not established very good, I was never really captivated by what was going on.

The complete movie felt like it was engineered to make the audience believe it was something totally out of the box, with the focus on trying to deliver a mind-bending experience. I don’t think that some loud sounds, fast cuts and characters (you never care about) and who talk like 95% of the time (with loud noise in the background) can deliver that.

The action sequences also did not impress that much, nothing special about them, especially the endgame felt small.

Memento, The Dark Knight Trilogy, The Prestige and Inception are a terrific streak of movies you rarely see from a filmmaker (don’t care for Insomnia it is a remake and not so strong), but for me Nolan lost a lot after that. I do not like when Filmmakers get so big that they can do practically whatever and the followers will praise everything no matter what it is. I applaud him for trying different ideas and making something else, but I think it did not work on Tenet and I hope his next movie will be something I like more.

Of course all only my opinion fell free to worship the movie.

I would give the movie 7 of 10 Points. Rewatch value very low, I already feel very annoyed that I will end up buying the FAC and HDZeta editions for my sets.

Nils @extantsrevenge thank you so much for your very informative review. I kinda already knew from the little I researched of this film, that it was/is not a film I would enjoy, not my ‘cup of tea’ as I like to use.

Would love to hear more of your movie reviews when one comes up, I think you are great at it and have a good knowledge of many films!

Have a nice day my friend!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just watched Tenet and Mando episode 16 as well. The reviews I (briefly) read of Tenet made it seemed like if you like Nolan films, you’ll like Tenet, and if you don’t care for Nolan films, Tenet isn’t going to win you over. That’s exactly what we got. I went into it knowing it would probably be gimmicky and for lack of a better term, Nolan-y. I love Memento, Prestige, Interstellar and the Batman movies and am ok with Inception and his other works. As a Nolan movie, it falls short. It seems like he is trying to outdo himself and it falls a bit short. 

I disagree with @extantsrevenge as I really enjoyed the performances by Washington and Pattinson and I liked the score. The score was super Nolan-y and even though I only have a soundbar, it really stood out. I can see how viewing it in the theater or with a true surround/high def sound system could get tiring. I also disagree with the rewatchability, I think it’s very rewatchable. I don’t think it’ll make as much sense as his other movies, so that may limit rewatches, but I still want to revisit it and see how much “sense” I can make of it all. I would probably rate it a 7 or 8 which is dependent on how future rewatches go. It’s a lower tier Nolan film, but I don’t think he’s made a bad film. 

Mando ep 16 was a 10 out of 10. Too much spoiler material to risk talking about. Its a 10.

• Like 2

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith

image.thumb.jpeg.fa7c599eaaddacc051a598df8902338c.jpeg

It has been three years since the Clone Wars began. Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) and Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen) rescue Chancellor Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid) from General Grievous, the commander of the droid armies, but Grievous escapes. Suspicions are raised within the Jedi Council concerning Chancellor Palpatine, with whom Anakin has formed a bond. Asked to spy on the chancellor, and full of bitterness toward the Jedi Council, Anakin embraces the Dark Side.

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

Solo: A Star Wars Story

image.jpeg.6840c038aad0f4cda27ce1456c22d663.jpeg

Young Han Solo finds adventure when he joins forces with a gang of galactic smugglers and a 190-year-old Wookie named Chewbacca. Indebted to the gangster Dryden Vos, the crew devises a daring plan to travel to the mining planet Kessel to steal a batch of valuable coaxium. In need of a fast ship, Solo meets Lando Calrissian, the suave owner of the perfect vessel for the dangerous mission -- the Millennium Falcon.

Edited by Veum
  • Like 3