What did you watch last night???

Basil

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saturday The Hunt For Red October 20 out of 5

with the passing of Sean Connery I felt it was right to watch and enjoy this phenomenal piece of work .

The claustrophobic atmosphere and the music that matches the mood .

The cast no finer mix at the top of there profession 

RIP Sir Sean Connery 

• Like 5

Sunday V for Vendetta 20 out Of 5

The 4 K upscale is a delight  .( watched on a normal 1080 TV  YES I know we need an upgrade . IF Its not broke dont fix it is the motto around here )

The Blu Ray transfer was no different from the DVD  glad i picked it up 2nd hand for about 4 quid 

ANYWAY  

The picture was so clean and crisp  A terrific re watch and so much more detail is visible .

Anyone who has not seen it is in for a treat as is anyone for whom this is a favourite to view 

• Like 6

61PFhsp8rML._AC_SY679_.jpg

I watched it for the first time this weekend. I didn't like it, it seemed like a film where producers introduced all the usual ingredients and topics of this genre, they stirred them up a bit, and assumed that with that everything was done.

And it's a pity , the idea was good.

But I think it is more the result of an "industrial production", that of a process of trying to make the best possible film, with care and affection.

And it's not even made with a lot of talent. In fact, mixing things from the current blockbusters, from a Series B movie, from an eighties movie of teenagers, and that it turns out well, is not easy. It's not an easy balance to achieve, and even less to steer in a specific direction.

It didn't seem long, and it wasn't a waste of time; but I didn't want to watch it again. 

PS: It is my opinion, personal, and therefore open to criticism. I'm never offended by criticism, I think there is always something interesting. I say it in advance. ;) 

Edited by Casiusco
  • Like 3

Spoiler
1 hour ago, Casiusco said:

61PFhsp8rML._AC_SY679_.jpg

I watched it for the first time this weekend. I didn't like it, it seemed like a film where producers introduced all the usual ingredients and topics of this genre, they stirred them up a bit, and assumed that with that everything was done.

And it's a pity , the idea was good.

But I think it is the result of an "industrial production", that of a process of trying to make the best possible film, with care and affection.

And it's not even made with a lot of talent. In fact, mixing things from the current blockbusters, from a Series B movie, from an eighties movie of adolescents, and that it turns out well, is not easy. It's not an easy balance to achieve, and even less to steer in a specific direction.

It didn't seem long, and it wasn't a waste of time; but I didn't want to watch it again. 

PS: It is my opinion, personal, and therefore open to criticism. I'm never offended by criticism, I think there is always something interesting. I say it in advance. ;) 

Thanks a lot @Casiusco you just burst my bubble as I’ve not seen it yet (although I was hoping to see it with child-like excitement hehe) 😆 

just kidding GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Veum said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Thanks a lot @Casiusco you just burst my bubble as I’ve not seen it yet (although I was hoping to see it with child-like excitement hehe) 😆 

just kidding GIF

No, dear @Veum, if you're a wise man... you won't pay much attention to me!!! 

These things have to be found out for yourself!

Just imagine that I'm only a child from the house across the street... who only thinks about annoying, and make you impossible to see it with child-like excitement, and deep down he's not right ... 

One of those kids who would tell you something is horrible...  just because he's envious and wish could have it/see it like you. ;) 

b8ee60b525a3440f8ee4c7879dab65eb

Enjoy the film! and someday tell us what you think about it...

• Like 1

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

image.thumb.jpeg.cce08adfe4a79e17cbc805ecdd675d7b.jpeg

Chapter 5: The Gunslinger

The Mandalorian helps a rookie bounty hunter who is in over his head.

Chapter 6: The Prisoner

The Mandalorian joins a crew of mercenaries on a dangerous mission.

Chapter 7: The Reckoning

An old rival extends an invitation for The Mandalorian to make peace.

Chapter 8: Redemption

The Mandalorian comes face-to-face with an unexpected enemy.

• Like 3

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

image.thumb.jpeg.cce08adfe4a79e17cbc805ecdd675d7b.jpeg

The Child Baby Yoda GIF by Mashable

Season 2

Chapter 9: The Marshal

The Mandalorian is drawn to the Outer Rim in search of others of his kind.

Chapter 10: The Passenger

The Mandalorian must ferry a passenger with precious cargo on a risky journey.

Chapter 11: The Heiress

The Mandalorian braves high seas and meets unexpected allies. 

Chapter 12: The Seige

The Mandalorian rejoins old allies for a new mission.

Edited by Veum
  • Like 3

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

🐎 Black Beauty (2020)

A beautiful, loving story of a magnificent beautiful “Black Beauty “ mustang that loves a broken, lonely girl who has also lost her parents.

image.thumb.jpeg.1c6948bc5f8dab8b0b6b7d0d03bceb1c.jpeg

Born free in the American West, Black Beauty is rounded up and brought to Birtwick Stables, where she meets spirited teenager Jo Green. Black Beauty and Jo forge a bond that carries Beauty through the different chapters, challenges and adventures.

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

Hi fellow MP’s!

First post on this thread but felt I should start doing it now and again as sometimes I watch these awesome movies and no one I know personally has the same interest and so end up just keeping my thoughts to myself 😂😂

I’ve built up an enormous collection over the last 4 years and can’t wait to get through all of them (I’ve barely scratched the surface!). Just in the period of the pandemic I picked up over 800 films, and I’m now trying to spend less time researching and more watching! I do find it very addictive/exciting getting into rabbit holes and finding out about awesome directors/films I hadn’t known about but really must start cutting back on that and actually enjoying them 😄

Last night I finally got around to watching two of said films: Au Revoir Les Enfants and Borgman. Two completely different films but both thoroughly enjoyable and left a lasting impression.

The former - it was the acting, the haunting looks, and the gut punch of reality at the end that made it so. A sad film given the material (the Holocaust) but not depressing, would highly recommend. 

The latter - Borgman - I was initially sceptical as it had <7 on IMDb but sometimes I will take a gamble, and this one paid off. I was completely glued throughout with tension building gradually and the feeling of total uncertainty as to where the audience will end up at the end. I won’t reveal too much but it does take an unexpectedly dark turn which I didn’t see

coming! Go in blind to this one if you are open minded and enjoy darker films. Not gory though!

If anyone else has seen these, or has felt the same addiction to the researching/hunting process haha, be great to hear your thoughts!

CBFBFC5E-7D39-4519-8F1D-004EDECA89F5.jpeg

60F9488A-CF88-49D0-8CA0-40B8A2CC2BB8.jpeg

Edited by soundsorange
  • Like 5

Awards

On 11/15/2020 at 1:55 PM, Scary Hair said:

Sunday V for Vendetta 20 out Of 5

The 4 K upscale is a delight  .( watched on a normal 1080 TV  YES I know we need an upgrade . IF Its not broke dont fix it is the motto around here )

The Blu Ray transfer was no different from the DVD  glad i picked it up 2nd hand for about 4 quid 

ANYWAY  

The picture was so clean and crisp  A terrific re watch and so much more detail is visible .

Anyone who has not seen it is in for a treat as is anyone for whom this is a favourite to view 

Never saw this when it first came out and recently got my copy of the Titans of Cult steelbook - definitely looking forward to it; thanks for taking the time to post!

• Like 2

Awards

Mad Max Trilogy ALL in one sitting  

Mad Max 4.2 out of 5

The fact that this had such a mauling to re dub for an American audience that then managed to get the original Australian accent re added is a true testament to how Mad Max won its cult status ,

A rewatch was needed after the loss of Hugh Keays-Byrne cat crying sad kitty GIF

Often copied NEVER bettered

Mad Max Road Warrior 5 out of 5

Mel Gibson truly owning the role of Max  , How he plays situation with a depth of simmering insanity and cool kick assuredness under pressure is a mark of a great among his craft .

The voice over  intro alone is breathtaking piece of cinema .

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome 5 out of 5

The final movie in the trilogy and what a final . Tina Turner is a force to be reckoned with as Anty Eturnty  .

The Heartbreaking realisation that Max still has his humanity in the Thunderdome leaves me shocked to the core no matter that I know what is coming sad jim carrey GIF

WHAT a soundtrack as well Lady Tina belting out two songs that leave you in AWE at what I have just seen 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Scary Hair said:

Mad Max Trilogy ALL in one sitting  

Mad Max 4.2 out of 5

The fact that this had such a mauling to re dub for an American audience that then managed to get the original Australian accent re added is a true testament to how Mad Max won its cult status ,

A rewatch was needed after the loss of Hugh Keays-Byrne cat crying sad kitty GIF

Often copied NEVER bettered

Mad Max Road Warrior 5 out of 5

Mel Gibson truly owning the role of Max  , How he plays situation with a depth of simmering insanity and cool kick assuredness under pressure is a mark of a great among his craft .

The voice over  intro alone is breathtaking piece of cinema .

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome 5 out of 5

The final movie in the trilogy and what a final . Tina Turner is a force to be reckoned with as Anty Eturnty  .

The Heartbreaking realisation that Max still has his humanity in the Thunderdome leaves me shocked to the core no matter that I know what is coming sad jim carrey GIF

WHAT a soundtrack as well Lady Tina belting out two songs that leave you in AWE at what I have just seen 

Love it! I like your assessment Ann 😊 I got the trilogy in the steel tin recently, but not sure whether I like it (I thought it was going to be a steelbook!). Gonna order the French steel of the first Mad Max (yellow one), it’s lovely.

• Like 1

Awards

Attack on Titan - finally got around to getting stuck into this and enjoying it so far! Some anime I get really engaged in while others I really can't get into, but so far I'm enjoying it (3 episodes in so still early). Dialogue isn't cheesy, animation is pretty solid (the titans are pretty eery) and the story moves along quickly with each episode being under 30 minutes. I'm late to the party on this series but if you're even more tardy than me, I recommend it!

560283-338.jpeg

• Like 2

Awards

Depends...

The dystopic era purveyed can be a bit of a downer for some not having any interest in what an apocalyptic future may entail.

Hi @Veum my friend.

Some find the theme ( and even the plot) superfluous to the incredible action sequences each film elicits as the draw factor. Max could be speaking Swahili for all some care.

I can agree to a degree. Turn off deep brain and enjoy the film with light brain. Works for me.

But the cult following these films have developed speak to a far more simplistic and relevant theme, imho.

The protag as anti-hero.

We know Max isn't the best guy to invite to your wedding but he'll be there for ya when hanging on the edge of a cliff.

We can (ideally) empathize with the protag and then see all the transactions from a 1st person POV.

So, cool, works for me.

I know your personal affinity for Westerns, and I see a number of similarities to these films and that genre.

Perhaps approaching them with that thought in mind, might provide a new perspective?

I love, each and every one of them and to see Grandpa Miller come back for FR and as a bonus, have "Toe Cutter Joe " from the first film, come back as "Immortan Joe" (Hugh Keays-Byrne) in the last, was just delicious icing on the cake.

I'd suggest starting with #2 The Road Warrior, for the best presentation of Max.

Cheers buddy.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1