IGNORED

What did you watch last night???

Basil

Super 8

image.thumb.jpeg.016fd4fd10889f662d108deced984339.jpeg

This has been on my shelf sealed for a very very long time (Not a Steelbook hence no burning desire to open it) and I had only seen it once previously, on a plane with a small screen & headphones.

I knew that I liked it, I mean it’s Abrams & Spielberg right, so how could I not?! 😁 But it was soooooo much better last night on the home screen sitting comfy on the sofa, and not with flight chair table between my legs and constantly popping my ear pressure. If you haven’t seen it but enjoy E.T., The Goonies, Clover-field, Stranger Things etc. etc. Then I strongly advise you watch this. 

Very slick, and plays on the whole Jaws/Clover-field trick of catching glimpses of the tormentor rather than a “Here I am” approach. I can’t quite believe how old this is already (9 years) but the fact that it is set in 1979 (with Abrams’ geeky attention to detail) means it’s a wonderful, timeless stand alone sci-if flick.

I absolutely just added this to my “Someone release a Premium FS” list for sure. 😊👍🏼

Edited by Pbsw23
  • Like 4

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoiler
7 hours ago, Pbsw23 said:

Super 8

image.thumb.jpeg.016fd4fd10889f662d108deced984339.jpeg

This has been on my shelf sealed for a very very long time (Not a Steelbook hence no burning desire to open it) and I had only seen it once previously, on a plane with a small screen & headphones.

I knew that I liked it, I mean it’s Abrams & Spielberg right, so how could I not?! 😁 But it was soooooo much better last night on the home screen sitting comfy on the sofa, and not with flight chair table between my legs and constantly popping my ear pressure. If you haven’t seen it but enjoy E.T., The Goonies, Clover-field, Stranger Things etc. etc. Then I strongly advise you watch this. 

Very slick, and plays on the whole Jaws/Clover-field trick of catching glimpses of the tormentor rather than a “Here I am” approach. I can’t quite believe how old this is already (9 years) but the fact that it is set in 1979 (with Abrams’ geeky attention to detail) means it’s a wonderful, timeless stand alone sci-if flick.

I absolutely just added this to my “Someone release a Premium FS” list for sure. 😊👍🏼

@Pbsw23 had to take a look at a trailer for this ^ it did intrigue me as I’ve not seen it, however was wondering is it TOO slow or not?🤔

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Veum said:
  Reveal hidden contents

@Pbsw23 had to take a look at a trailer for this ^ it did intrigue me as I’ve not seen it, however was wondering is it TOO slow or not?🤔

I don’t think so, but it depends how much crash, bang, wallop you need to keep you entertained 😉😂

I think it’s just fine though 😁👍🏼

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

🥤🤠📺 🎬😇😷

Dark Shadows (1966 - 1971) 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

313. Roger and Joe search the cemetary for David.
 314. Willie warns Julia that Barnabas may kill David since Sarah may have told David about Barnabas.
 315. Sarah shows David how to escape from the secret room. When he rushes out he runs into Barnabas' waiting arms.

image.jpeg.b771b04239fa230bcaa2ed83d62eda62.jpeg

The Tenant (1976)  🎬🎬 1/2 Le locataire’ Directed by Roman Polanski

HOW COULD HE ESCAPE FROM HIS NIGHTMARES?

A quiet and inconspicuous man rents an apartment in France where the previous tenant committed suicide, and begins to suspect his landlord and neighbors are trying to subtly change him into the last tenant so that he too will kill himself.

image.jpeg

ASSASSINATION GAMES (2011)  🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬 Directed by Ernie Barbarash

TWICE THE FIRE… DOUBLE THE POWER!

Brazil is a contract killer, willing to take any job if the price is right. Flint left the assassin game when a ruthless drug dealer’s brutal attack left his wife in a coma. When a contract is put out on the same coldblooded drug dealer, both Brazil and Flint want him dead – one for the money, the other for revenge. With crooked Interpol agents and vicious members of the criminal underworld hot on their trail, these two assassins reluctantly join forces to quickly take out their target before they themselves are terminated.

image.jpeg.2d9727ba72f097322c6e1507dd3c89fa.jpeg

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

🥤🤠📺 🎬😇😷

SNOWPIERCER TNT

Watched the 1st three episodes of S1 today & will evaluate series after season...

The Gentlemen (2019) 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬  Directed by Guy Ritchie

CRIMINAL. CLASS

American expat Mickey Pearson has built a highly profitable marijuana empire in London. When word gets out that he’s looking to cash out of the business forever it triggers plots, schemes, bribery and blackmail in an attempt to steal his domain out from under him.

image.jpeg.a89cdee3daa9d681977a564bbd0da441.jpeg

Edited by Veum
  • Like 3

🥤🤠📺 🎬😇😷

The Marine (2006) 🎬🎬🎬1/2 Directed by John Bonito

WAR IS FINE BUT THE FIGHT CONTINUES

A group of diamond thieves on the run kidnap the wife of a recently discharged marine who goes on a chase through the South Carolinian wilderness to retrieve her.

image.jpeg.579b15cdb403b6c44a64aa49d61e9251.jpeg

The Marine (2009) 🎬🎬🎬 Directed byRoel Reiné  

Rebels seize control of the hotel where a Marine sniper and his wife are staying. Can he save the day?

image.jpeg.a7d8aa9042e70174b355d230f2907389.jpeg

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

220px-Mary_(2005_movie_poster).jpg

Abel Ferrara's "Mary".

Since the first moment, I was surprised that a director like Ferrara had made a film with clear religious overtones. Although later I realized that he has several films with people who dress up as a nun, scenes in churches, rape of a nun, or characters who try to redeem themselves from their sins.

Deep down, maybe it makes sense.

But still, this is a film that tries to be a serious author film where faith has a presence beyond the playful, rather than being a McGuffin for history.

It's a film that has interesting things, but it is not the type of film that Ferrara fans expect.

And although the director proves to be talented, I think he is not the right one for this type of film. His talent is different.

Edited by Casiusco
  • Like 2

🥤🤠📺 🎬😇😷

Betty Blue (1986) 🎬🎬🎬 ‘37°2  le matin’  Directed by Jean-Jacques Beineix

Betty Blue, a mentally unbalanced and sexually aggressive free spirit who becomes involved with Zorg, a repairman moonlighting as a writer. The two engage in a variety of sexual encounters, and grow more passionate toward each other. Betty finds Zorg’s book and is aggressively supportive; over time, her instability begin to catch up with her, leading to a grisly and shocking conclusion.

image.jpeg.d9510c86afd0bf987bf29479d4fc5f8a.jpeg

• Like 3

🥤🤠📺 🎬😇😷

Who Saw Her Die? (1972) 🎬🎬🎬 ‘Chi l’ha vista moire?’ Directed by Aldo Lado

In the French Alps, a young girl is murdered by a woman in black. In Venice, sculptor Franco Serpieri’s daughter Roberta is killed by the same mysterious figure. Franco’s estranged wife Elizabeth arrives following the tragedy. The grieving father begins a frantic search to track down his daughter’s murderer. He uncovers a group of decadent bourgeois characters who are involved in clandestine sex sessions…

image.jpeg.9cfb87c9a14721ae9f5241deda65e524.jpeg

Invasion of the Bee Girls (1973) 🎬🎬🎬 Directed by Denis Sanders

THEY’LL LOVE THE VERY LIFE OUT OF YOUR BODY!

Neil Agar, a security agent with the State Department, is dispatched to Peckham, California to investigate the death of a bacteriologist working at government-sponsored Brandt Research. His investigation is soon complicated by a growing number of deaths, all men who died of congestive heart failure caused by sexual exhaustion.

image.jpeg.fff71ca58d1b8e338cadd100998bdc4d.jpeg

Edited by Veum
  • Like 3

🥤🤠📺 🎬😇😷

NAZI UNDEAD (2018) 🎬🎬 Directed by Steven Spiel

HIS HOUSE, YOUR NIGHTMARE.

College sweethearts Brad and Ashley venture into the heartland of Germany. Their romantic holiday takes a sinister turn when encountering a German SS Officer, thrusting them into a psychological vortex revealing there is not always life in a 'Living Space'.

image.jpeg.0b333ef8916b791fa78c255f7fd76417.jpeg

Forty Guns (1957) 🎬🎬🎬 Directed by Samuel Fuller

TAMING OF THE ARIZONA TERRITORY!

An authoritarian rancher rules an Arizona county with her private posse of hired guns. When a new Marshall arrives to set things straight, the cattle queen finds herself falling for the avowedly non-violent lawman. Both have itchy-fingered brothers, a female gunman enters the picture, and things go desperately wrong.

image.jpeg.099eaf9cc34bc67501021adda2ed5071.jpeg

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

Synopsis

They're Not Human.

Something evil is happening in the sleepy fishing village of Noyo. Fish-like humanoid creatures, spawned by mutant DNA, begin rising from the ocean looking to spawn with the local women. Scientist Susan Drake (Ann Turkel, The Cassandra Crossing), along with local fisherman Jim Hill (Doug McClure, The Land That Time Forgot), looks for the cause of this invasion of creatures from the ocean floor. When the annual Salmon Festival begins, some unwanted guests are about to crash the festivities. Also starring Vic Morrow (Message From Space), Cindy Weintraub (The Prowler) and Denise Galik (Don't Answer The Phone!), the film features an early score from Academy Award®–winning* composer James Horner (Avatar, Braveheart) and special effects/creature designs by Academy Award® winner Rob Bottin (RoboCop, The Thing).

F21167AD-618B-4660-A9F9-8BA0CA879C6B.jpeg

• Like 1

Heh, nice choice @Bones  😀

Another wonderful creature feature from the Corman stable! (my idol!)

This flik is so bizzarre it's actually funny but ya gotta give it credit for going bat-scat wild.

Barbara Peters (Director) is quite rightfully proud to have this on her resume and she has touted Roger for giving her this break into cinema.

I'm very happy you managed to score the Steelbook. It's been climbing in price since release and I doubt we'll see a reprint.

Same goes for the other "Corman Steels" that were launched about the same time.  🙂

• Thanks 1

🥤🤠📺 🎬😇😷

The Call of the Wild (2020) 🎬🎬🎬🎬 🎬 Directed by Chris Sanders

BASED ON THE LEGENDARY NOVEL

Buck is a big-hearted dog whose blissful domestic life is turned upside down when he is suddenly uprooted from his California home and transplanted to the exotic wilds of the Yukon during the Gold Rush of the 1890s. As the newest rookie on a mail delivery dog sled team—and later its leader—Buck experiences the adventure of a lifetime, ultimately finding his true place in the world and becoming his own master.

image.jpeg.db4a9b1d484b86802c6e3c836e8a44ac.jpeg

• Like 4

🥤🤠📺 🎬😇😷

Call of the Wild (1935) 🎬🎬🎬🎬 Directed by William A. Wellman

AN EPIC NOVEL . . . AN EPIC PICTURE !

Jack Thornton has trouble winning enough at cards for the stake he needs to get to the Alaska gold fields. His luck changes when he pays $250 for Buck, a sled dog that is part wolf to keep him from being shot by an arrogant Englishman also headed for the Yukon. En route to the Yukon with Shorty Houlihan – who spent time in jail for opening someone else’s letter with a map of where gold is to be found – Jack rescues a woman whose husband was the addressee of that letter. Buck helps Jack win a $1,000 bet to get the supplies he needs. And when Jack and Claire Blake pet Buck one night, fingers touch. 

image.jpeg.e0ea11241e84b02e9bc35b1d80705b9e.jpeg

• Like 2

Spoiler
10 minutes ago, Grendel said:

^^ Heh, a Golden Oldie @Veum !

Always enjoyed Clint Walker, great in "The Dirty Dozen"!  🤩

Yeah @Grendel just found out about this gem for me (b/c of my affinity for all things Dan Curtis yeah) tonight from my FB Dark Shadows Appreciation Society hey🧛‍♂️

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

On 8/6/2020 at 4:42 PM, Grendel said:

Heh, nice choice @Bones  😀

Another wonderful creature feature from the Corman stable! (my idol!)

This flik is so bizzarre it's actually funny but ya gotta give it credit for going bat-scat wild.

Barbara Peters (Director) is quite rightfully proud to have this on her resume and she has touted Roger for giving her this break into cinema.

I'm very happy you managed to score the Steelbook. It's been climbing in price since release and I doubt we'll see a reprint.

Same goes for the other "Corman Steels" that were launched about the same time.  🙂

Thanks @Grendel! It was one of the first 3 horror movies i remember seeing and loving as a kid. The other two were the Horror Express with Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee and Telly Savalas and The Island of Dr. Moreau with Burt Lancaster and Michael York. I would love to find a good edition of Moreau but i havnt looked for a region b disc. Was one ever put out?

• Like 2

Good Evening @Bones ;

I certainly applaud your love for "Horror Express" as I consider any flik starring our two Hammer icons worth a 7/10, before I even watch it.

I can't say I share your sympathies with the second title; "Island of Doctor Moreau".

Now, this film, actually has a hard-core cult status...but not for any reasons the Producers would warrant.

It has not shall we say, aged as well as hoped for.  🙂

Should you desire purchase, I'm a bit confused. You are located in the USA but you queried a region B disc ? ( which is Europe, USA is R-A).

Regardless, it won't be hard to track down a version, even via the Amazon sites, they all had it when I checked.

Now, I'd like to mention a Blu-ray that may very well interest you, that associates with this film.

It's called;
Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley’s Island of Dr. Moreau

It's the initial Director's account of the making of the film.

It's available from Severin Films, if not elsewhere.

Link;

https://severin-films.com/shop/lost-soul-house-of-pain-edition/

Pic;

Lost-Soul-Special-Edition-BluRay_key-art

• Like 1

@Grendel

lol i couldnt stand the Brando Moreau. I did however  really enjoy the lost soul doc. I streamed it so im not sure what additional features the 3 disc set has but I’ll definitely check out the disc. I have seen a bluray copy of the lancaster version put out by Kino Lorber but it seems kinda bare bones and i wasn't sure if there was maybe another version that had more meat to it. For example, here in the states a bare bones bluray of Katherine Bigalow’s Near Dark (another fav of mine) is oop and like $50-70 but there is a media book version thats around the same price but just looks much better for the price. 

• Like 1

Spoiler
8 hours ago, Bones said:

@Grendel

lol i couldnt stand the Brando Moreau. I did however  really enjoy the lost soul doc. I streamed it so im not sure what additional features the 3 disc set has but I’ll definitely check out the disc. I have seen a bluray copy of the lancaster version put out by Kino Lorber but it seems kinda bare bones and i wasn't sure if there was maybe another version that had more meat to it. For example, here in the states a bare bones bluray of Katherine Bigalow’s Near Dark (another fav of mine) is oop and like $50-70 but there is a media book version thats around the same price but just looks much better for the price. 

🥤Hi @Bones, if I may be included, the original is my’ up of tea’ though 😎  I highly recommend you check these out for your watching enjoyment:

I own these:🤠

image.jpeg.5efca1ca007d10db14db0e0ea924ac35.jpeg  image.jpeg.ea5d50533876b4e73044bce544f74045.jpeg   image.jpeg.bea7dd2f6e371fdd5296ef419ef4ee71.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1