IGNORED

What did you watch last night???

Basil

3 minutes ago, Ryan said:

@Veum

Did you see requiem for dream or the wrestler those are his best in my opinion I can understand if you dont like his other works like I said I enjoyed mother but it ain't something I highly recommend lol.

Yeah @Ryan I have seen & own The Wrestler, I enjoyed this one a lot... have not seen Requiem for a Dream though hey🤓

Plain Archive

image.jpeg.6e58daf05edb666f49fd5b405bef24c4.jpeg

• Like 3

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Ryan said:

@Veum

Did you see requiem for dream or the wrestler those are his best in my opinion I can understand if you dont like his other works like I said I enjoyed mother but it ain't something I highly recommend lol.

Pi and Requiem are my favorites. I watched the crap out of Pi in college, which in doing the math was a long ass time ago! I haven't really seen either movie since and don't know how well either holds up. 

Oh crap, the actor who plays Salamanca in Breaking Bad was the professor in Pi, wasn't he!?! 

450_1000.jpg   s-l300.jpg

Yesterday I saw "Prometheus" and "Alien Covenant" again. I  think I hadn't seen them since their release.

And I was surprised, because I liked both more than when I saw them for the first time. I thought that if we forget the hype and the obligation to follow what the original Ridley Scott's masterpiece implies, that almost enslaving expectation, and we take the two films apart, as a new saga, they are quite entertaining.

And the concept of "architects" is really powerful. So much so that it could mark its own path.

Even the character of David is really interesting. And his story can be even more so.

So in the end I came to the conclusion that, conceptually, Scott's biggest problem with these two films is that they started writing an "Alien" prequel story, and ended up getting something else. Interesting, but different. And trying to follow those two paths at the same time is not easy. There are two roads that go to different places. That propose different stories -and even movie styles-.

This two films are not big great movies, but I really had a great time. Great night. And I hope can see "Alien Awakening" someday. 

• Like 4

dennis_hopper_along_for_the_ride-5883042

"Along for the ride", a documentary-tribute to Denis Hopper.

I didn't know much about Hopper, I'm not a fan, only of some films in which he participated. I watched this documentary by chance on TCM, but it was interesting.

If you forget that his friends repeat to you too many times that he was a genius, almost trying to convince you ..., and you look at it from the outside, objectively, you have an entertaining documentary if you like to see what the life or trajectory of someone peculiar linked to the cinema was, someone with a really tumultuous life; closely linked to the time in which he lived.

The most interesting thing for me was to know a little more about how things were done at that time in the world of cinema, in that hollywood. An era that, obviously, will never return. 

• Thanks 1

Just finished watching an excellent WW II film called Resistance (2020) (I know you like WW II films as much as me my friend @Basil, you need to see this one!) 😊

Very reverting film that gives you hope they all make it... had an actress that I could not remember who she was or where I saw her and she was the lead gal in the TV series The Tunnel Clémence Poésy.

★★★★★

image.jpeg.1bdb7c52d1a04fa8607eb41151163399.jpeg

The story of the legendary Mime Marcel Marceau and the French Resistance.

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Veum said:

Just finished watching an excellent WW II film called Resistance (2020) (I know you like WW II films as much as me my friend @Basil, you need to see this one!) 😊

Very reverting film that gives you hope they all make it... had an actress that I could not remember who she was or where I saw her and she was the lead gal in the TV series The Tunnel Clémence Poésy.

★★★★★

image.jpeg.1bdb7c52d1a04fa8607eb41151163399.jpeg

The story of the legendary Mime Marcel Marceau and the French Resistance.

will have to look into this cheers 👍

basil :D

• Like 1

yesterday watched hacksaw ridge, based on true story ww2 george t doss.

simply amazing film when you see goes on. seen before and will watch again 9/10

World War II American Army Medic Desmond T. Doss, who served during the Battle of Okinawa, refuses to kill people, and becomes the first man in American history to receive the Medal of Honor without firing a shot

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2119532/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

• Like 2

Spoiler
2 minutes ago, Basil said:

yesterday watched hacksaw ridge, based on true story ww2 george t doss.

simply amazing film when you see goes on. seen before and will watch again 9/10

World War II American Army Medic Desmond T. Doss, who served during the Battle of Okinawa, refuses to kill people, and becomes the first man in American history to receive the Medal of Honor without firing a shot

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2119532/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I’m a little confused did you order Resistance or Hacksaw Ridge?😒

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Veum said:

What got you to order, did you see a trailer & liked it?🤔

yes watched trailer liked it, also has ed harris as patton he is quite selective with his ww2 films such as enemy at the gates another super unrated film and if you have not seen that is also worth a watch. 

basil 👍

• Thanks 1

image.png.5f792091951ff1c416496333645bccb6.png

Just finished watching it. I was having breakfast so I didn't appreciate the details in some scenes 😫 😅.  

Great cinematography and oh boy what a performance by Willem Dafoe. Robert was great too. And that is pretty much it in terms of positives 

Im afraid it is one of those movies which rely heavily on being weird at the expense of telling a poor, incohesive story. In simpler terms I have no idea what I just watched 😪 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Just watched The Devil All The Time. And I was underwhelmed the acting and cinematography was solid but theres hardly any character development or just not enough time spent on characters. This film was about 20 min to long and has a dark tone but could have used some humor. Even though dark films dont have to have humor it would have helped this film. The film feels like it should have an awesome score to go along with it but what we get is a overly used narration that sounds like a southern version of a narrator from a tim burton movie. Overall it's not a horrible watch but its painfully average. 6/10

The-Devil-All-The-Time-Movie-Review-Plot-Cast-Trailer.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Awards

kidding-poster.jpg

Yesterday I finished watching this TV show. I did not know it, and I started a couple of weeks ago, guided by seeing Michel Gondry and Jim Carrey collaborating together again.

The result is interesting, very interesting; but at the same time irregular, with hilarious episodes, and others where it shows that they lost control. A series that mixes satire, irony, game, even some individual existentialism, an intense point of surrealism, and a sharp dark humor few times. With some gags or jokes of those that would never be broadcast open in prime time.

I was watching the first episodes, and I was not excited or disgusted. But the family meal scene from the Season 1 EP 7 won me over. It was colossal. The end of the first season seemed very good to me, enjoyed a lot; while the second season is even more irregular, and they risked so much that they sometimes lost control. But I like shows where you risk a lot, even if they have boring moments, or even if it's not perfect.

It's a very original show, with many issues that reminded me of "The Science of Sleep" by Gondry himself.

My final conclusion was very satisfactory. The good times were so original and fun, it was worth it.

A story where puppets sometimes appear and that I could never show to a child. At the end , what example could you get from a bit childish show where the only little girl regularly walks and plays with an ax like the one in "The Shining"?

Edited by Casiusco
  • Like 3

image.jpeg.7e21e3850f601841984b69161549d291.jpeg

Godfather of Soul! 🎼 

Music was excellent as was Chadwick Boseman‘s portrayal of Sir James Brown, enjoyed it!😊

Did not know anything of James Brown’s life and so respect him from growing up in an abused home and being a poor young boy raised in a broken home in an isolated backwoods cabin, finds his calling in life in music. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

51lmDhS0doL._AC_.jpg

Guillermo Arriaga wrote the script for "Amores perros", "21 Grams", and "Babel", three Alejandro González Iñárritu films, with a structure of intertwined stories that include several jumps in time, weaving a network of scenes that end up highlighting the feelings, fatality or what can change people's lives.

After breaking his professional relationship with Iñárritu, he decided to direct his own films, and made his debut with this one.

Until last night I had not watched it.

In his film he repeats that way of narrating, carefully disordered, to collect the feelings and the past of the protagonist and raise her need for redemption. And it's an entertaining movie, and well done; but it's no so good than "Amores perros", or other films that had been successful with his scripts.

Writing is not the same as directing. And although -in my opinion- the film is above average, it's far from what I expected. It's missing something, something that has nothing to do with the script and the story but with the dramatic pulse in the scene. To know how to conduct not only the script, but also the actors, and the balance of the film itself.

And that "something" that he lacks makes Arriaga's "usual tricks" -with jumps in time and intertwined stories- become evident, recognizable, repetitive, and not only -silently- the best way to tell the story. This lack of ability to guide feelings on screen -and of the viewer- make this structure become a brand, entertaining but that -especially in the second half of the film- gives it more priority to the mechanism over some details of what is really happening.

Still, I was satisfied to have watched it. But it could have been even better.

• Like 2

🥤🍿 The Wall 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

My French steel from Ben, TU again buddy for this 🙌

image.jpeg.195305ac60c06aef35c3f89fa9e0c44a.jpeg

A super intense War sniper pic. Keeps you riveted even with only a few characters throughout... you’ll need patience and a love for this type hey!

An American sharpshooter is trapped in a standoff with an Iraqi sniper.

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

🥤🍿El Camino 🎬🎬🎬

image.jpeg.a043958d8778b5a0bf38632195fb1874.jpeg

Enjoyed it, however wish they would have had more backstory on Jessie getting in the mess after Walter, hey.

In the wake of his dramatic escape from captivity, Jesse Pinkman must come to terms with his past in order to forge some kind of future.

🥤🍿Tax Collector 🎬🎬🎬

A pretty violent drug crime drama that needed again better backstory.

David Cuevas is a family man who works as a gangland tax collector for high ranking Los Angeles gang members. He makes collections across the city with his partner Creeper making sure people pay up or will see retaliation. An old threat returns to Los Angeles that puts everything David love’s in harm’s way.

🥤🍿21 Bridges 🎬🎬🎬

A cop and criminal shoot’em up that needed more background of our criminals lives.

An em battled NYPD detective, is thrust into a citywide manhunt for a pair of cop killers after uncovering a massive and unexpected conspiracy. As the night unfolds, lines become blurred on who he is pursuing, and who is in pursuit of him.

• Like 2