What did you watch last night???

Basil

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

vor einer Stunde schrieb Fortis93:

I wonder when we'll get to see Aliens on 4K.

And Alien3. I found the extended Cut, giving us a glimpse of Finchers original vision to be a very good movie, flawed naturally but fascinating and bleak.

Never understood the hate for that movie, especially when considering Alien Resurrection, the by far worst of the four.

• Like 4

THE LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY 100 out of 5

Hard to believe that this masterpiece is 20 years old .

Yesterday The Fellowship

Today The Two Towers and The Return Of The King 

as enthralling now as the first time that I saw each one in the cinema  even better as this was the extended of each move .

If you have not viewed the extended treat yourself to its magnificence .

IF you have seen it then YOU KNOW EXACTLY what I am talking about .

The last half hour in floods of tears 

The end titles for ROTK  are the worst for needing tissues EVER 

Sad Spongebob Squarepants GIF

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/18/2020 at 9:30 AM, extantsrevenge said:

Christopher Nolan GIF by Regal

So I received my Tenet 4K Steelbook yesterday and watched the movie in the evening. To be honest I’m not impressed. I already did not like Interstellar that much (as obviously the rest of the world did), Dunkirk was rather boring and Tenet… yeah.

Sure Nolan did again try to create a unique movie, a unique Nolan movie that is. And I think in this Movie you could feel that it was rather about him and not about anything else.

The actors were all rather plain, not a single one did add anything mesmerizing to the performance. All delivered more wooden performances. Not such an impressive cast like on previous movies from Nolan, I guess he wanted to be the only alpha male on the set.

I read in advance that many did have a problem to understand the movie, I don’t think it was hard to understand, I think most of the impression might have been because of the constant nonstop bombardment of one of the most stupid scores in Film history. From the beginning a never ending roar of loud and stupid sounds is thrown at you, which is very distracting and I assume Nolan wanted it exactly like that, so you have the impression something complicated is happening, it is not.

Besides the horrible Music, the sound mix on the 4K was the worst I ever experienced on a 4K, normally you can understand the spoken text very good on a 4K, here it was hard.

The story itself, was supposed to be unique but it was one of these films you can rip apart scene by scene when you analyze. I think in the end Nolan himself did not really pay attention to the details that much, because he did not abide by the rules the characters established themselves in later parts.

The big gimmick this movie had was stupid, it did not create memorable scenes like he was able to do in Inception. One of the big reveals the movie had was not big at all, I think it was clear from very early on that it would be like that. I don’t want to spoil the first time watching for anyone, so I will not go into detail on the stuff that went on.

Also the overall thread the movie had was not established very good, I was never really captivated by what was going on.

The complete movie felt like it was engineered to make the audience believe it was something totally out of the box, with the focus on trying to deliver a mind-bending experience. I don’t think that some loud sounds, fast cuts and characters (you never care about) and who talk like 95% of the time (with loud noise in the background) can deliver that.

The action sequences also did not impress that much, nothing special about them, especially the endgame felt small.

Memento, The Dark Knight Trilogy, The Prestige and Inception are a terrific streak of movies you rarely see from a filmmaker (don’t care for Insomnia it is a remake and not so strong), but for me Nolan lost a lot after that. I do not like when Filmmakers get so big that they can do practically whatever and the followers will praise everything no matter what it is. I applaud him for trying different ideas and making something else, but I think it did not work on Tenet and I hope his next movie will be something I like more.

Of course all only my opinion fell free to worship the movie.

I would give the movie 7 of 10 Points. Rewatch value very low, I already feel very annoyed that I will end up buying the FAC and HDZeta editions for my sets.

It has caught my attention that your arguments are very negative, and even so you give it 7/10.

For the record, I like the idea of recognizing good things in movies that we didn't like.

Just because we don't like a movie doesn't mean it's not good; and that it is bad does not mean that we cannot like it.

It's not the same.

I like "Tenet", and I will buy a Colelctors Colletion for sure; HDZeta... or UHD Club if they announce it before, to complete my UHD Club Nolan collection; but just as I had a great time watching it, I have to admit that it is a long way from Interstellar. But it is that Interstellar is even better than we think now. ;) 

• Like 5

On 12/21/2020 at 12:05 AM, Veum said:

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith

image.thumb.jpeg.fa7c599eaaddacc051a598df8902338c.jpeg

It has been three years since the Clone Wars began. Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) and Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen) rescue Chancellor Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid) from General Grievous, the commander of the droid armies, but Grievous escapes. Suspicions are raised within the Jedi Council concerning Chancellor Palpatine, with whom Anakin has formed a bond. Asked to spy on the chancellor, and full of bitterness toward the Jedi Council, Anakin embraces the Dark Side.

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

It's a very personal and subjective opinion, but for me Episode III lives up to the original trilogy, and has more of StarWars than the sequel trilogy put together.

Absolutely underrated for the inertia of the noise and the complaints about Episode 1 & 2.

And the more times I watch it, the more I like it.

• Like 5

On 12/29/2020 at 11:54 PM, Veum said:

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬 😞 

image.jpeg.d2d8829cc898cb4218150f763925c528.jpeg

A teacher lives a lonely life, all the while struggling over his son's custody. His life slowly gets better as he finds love and receives good news from his son, but his new luck is about to be brutally shattered by an innocent little lie.

A movie that I didn't see in the cinema, and that surprised me a lot; enough to buy it immediately.

A complex story, sometimes controversial, but one that is not far from some of the things that can happen today. And how easy it is to destroy someone's life, sometimes with motive, and sometimes without it.

Totally recommendable.

I hope you liked it, @Veum.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Fortis93 said:

MV5BYWMzMDNlMDQtMTYyYi00OTM3LTllZDYtYThh

A lot of people sing praises for films being 'ahead of their time', but I truly believe that when audiences took their seats and the lights went down in the theatres back in 1989, they were about to glimpse the future. Like many of James Cameron's films, a fresh daisy that hasn't lost its lustre despite the ravages of time and innovations in technology.

This is maybe my 4th of 5th few viewing of this film, and it still genuinely amazes at what was accomplished here; the sheer ambition, scale and seamless melding of genres on display...there's nothing quite like it. Those 170 minutes breeze by. 

Ed Harris and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio really give it their all here, along with an equally under-appreciated turn from Michael Biehn as the deranged and unstable SEAL team leader that remains as grounded, restrained and subtly tragic a portrayal of pressure-induced paranoia and psychosis there is.

Cameron has teased that he wishes to explore the underwater world of Pandora with the Avatar sequels, which, as much flak as he gets for the first film, I'm genuinely excited about as long as it is backed the ambition and vision driving this film.

This movie remains one of my favourites of all time.

tumblr_otp399bF8D1rob81ao2_r1_250.gifv tumblr_otp399bF8D1rob81ao4_250.gifv  

tumblr_otp399bF8D1rob81ao5_r2_250.gifv tumblr_otp399bF8D1rob81ao3_250.gifv

tumblr_otp399bF8D1rob81ao8_r1_250.gifv tumblr_otp399bF8D1rob81ao9_r1_250.gifv

tumblr_otp399bF8D1rob81ao7_r1_250.gifv tumblr_otp399bF8D1rob81ao6_r1_250.gifv

tumblr_otp399bF8D1rob81ao10_r2_250.gifv tumblr_otp399bF8D1rob81ao1_250.gifv

It's a great movie, really entertaining. And that it has more fans than it seems.

And it's not easy to make such an entertaining movie. It is an art. Everything is fine with it, and it is done in a way that takes the viewer where they want it very easily.

The first retailer to do a Collectible Edition - the day there is a HD or 4K disc- will do a great deal.

As for Avatar, I was disappointed. And I don't know what to expect from the aftermath. I hope it improves what I saw, because in my opinion it's far away from "Abyss".

• Like 4

10 hours ago, hal56 said:

Yeah, the prices are ridiculous.

Movies like Schraders Affliction, or older Julio Medem movies are really hard to come by and like you I am not willing to pay a fortune for DVDs.

That there is still no good official HD edition of "Abyss" after so many years is a bit absurd. As many jokes that Cameron makes from time to time about what he's working on ...

Medem has really good movies. In Spain many are for sale on Blu-ray, not all. You just reminded me that I have a pending purchase; I preferred a collector's pack, but I'm beginning to see it unlikely. And I want to retire my old DVD editions.

• Like 3

The last few days I've been busy catching up on movies that have been sitting on my watchlist for at least a year.

Parasite - another tour-de-force from Bong Joon-ho that I watched twice in a row: first the color version and then the b/w version. I definitely prefer the color version as I feel it serves the movie best. 

A masterpiece which deserves every accolade it got. With that being said, I still rank 'Memories Of Murder' as Bong's finest achievement but this one follows closely behind. 9.5 out of 10

The Shape Of Water - I'm a big fan of Guillermo Del Toro and while I enjoyed this movie and appreciate its artistic merits, I also can't shake the feeling that it's a movie tailor-made for Hollywood and award season. Definitely worth a watch but I hold 'Pan's Labyrinth' and 'The Devil's Backbone' in higher regard as they just feel more personal to me; and while I love Michael Shannon's performance (he's always great), his villain is simply a retread of Sergi Lopez's Captain Vidal in 'Labyrinth'. 8 out of 10

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - I LOVE this movie! Sally Hawkins was wonderful in 'Shape Of Water' but McDormand is just phenomenal. Anyone but her winning that year's Best Actress Oscar would have been a travesty. Rockwell and Harrelson are no slouches either and the entire film is just captivating with all around excellent performances, sharp dialogue and a wonderful soundtrack by Carter Burwell. 9 out of 10

This one has been on repeat since this afternoon ❤️

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Casiusco said:

It's a very personal and subjective opinion, but for me Episode III lives up to the original trilogy, and has more of StarWars than the sequel trilogy put together.

Absolutely underrated for the inertia of the noise and the complaints about Episode 1 & 2.

And the more times I watch it, the more I like it.

I admire your good taste, sir. 👌😄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

The last few days I've been busy catching up on movies that have been sitting on my watchlist for at least a year.

Parasite - another tour-de-force from Bong Joon-ho that I watched twice in a row: first the color version and then the b/w version. I definitely prefer the color version as I feel it serves the movie best. 

A masterpiece which deserves every accolade it got. With that being said, I still rank 'Memories Of Murder' as Bong's finest achievement but this one follows closely behind. 9.5 out of 10

The Shape Of Water - I'm a big fan of Guillermo Del Toro and while I enjoyed this movie and appreciate its artistic merits, I also can't shake the feeling that it's a movie tailor-made for Hollywood and award season. Definitely worth a watch but I hold 'Pan's Labyrinth' and 'The Devil's Backbone' in higher regard as they just feel more personal to me; and while I love Michael Shannon's performance (he's always great), his villain is simply a retread of Sergi Lopez's Captain Vidal in 'Labyrinth'. 8 out of 10

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

What a little trio you picked there mate 👍

Parasite still the Best film I've watched this past year.. seen the other 2 further back but really enjoyed both. 

• Like 2