Basil

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody watch Archie?

image.thumb.png.219519eb85b355aaa03ef8db8a0da2e0.png

We binged it.  If you're looking for a good show, you can pass on it.  If you like Cary Grant, but don't know much about his life, and are curious, but don't want to read a biography, it's enjoyable.   If you really really dig those Hollywood look-a-likes from your last corporate sales seminar in Vegas, you'll really love it.

• Like 3

Had the biggest crush on Jennifer Connelly since the first moment I laid eyes on her as a kid when I saw her in Rocketeer. At first when I saw this movie as a kid it was weird. Watching it again as a teenager and now an adult I can say I fully appreciate and like it.

sxpra (2).jpeg

Edited by LeadFarmer
  • Like 5

On 4/28/2024 at 6:56 PM, LeadFarmer said:

Had the biggest crush on Jennifer Connelly since the first moment I laid eyes on her as a kid when I saw her in Rocketeer. At first when I saw this movie as a kid it was weird. Watching it again as a teenager and now an adult I can say I fully appreciate and like it.

sxpra (2).jpeg

Stone cold classic.  Would love a 4K release.

• Like 1

I remember in the 90s how it wasn't uncommon to have those TV movie miniseries that would sometimes come on Sunday nights and would run for a few weeks. If it was a two part movie part one would come on Sunday night followed by part two airing Monday night. Well the Tommyknockers came to mind and I couldn't help but revisit it again after so many years seeing how the last time I remember watching it I wasn't even in double digits yet.

Untitled.jpg

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

I remember in the 90s how it wasn't uncommon to have those TV movie miniseries that would sometimes come on Sunday nights and would run for a few weeks. If it was a two part movie part one would come on Sunday night followed by part two airing Monday night. Well the Tommyknockers came to mind and I couldn't help but revisit it again after so many years seeing how the last time I remember watching it I wasn't even in double digits yet.

Untitled.jpg

Just a few weeks ago I was telling someone about The Langoliers, another Stephen King miniseries that was exactly how you describe, a 2 parter over sunday-monday. Looks like I was 10 when it came out. I barely remember any of the story but the scenes where the guy stimmed by ripping paper stuck with me ever since. No idea why. Stephen King inadvertently jumped on the ASMR craze at least 15 years early, though! Pretty impressive! 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, 1adam12 said:

Just a few weeks ago I was telling someone about The Langoliers, another Stephen King miniseries that was exactly how you describe, a 2 parter over sunday-monday. Looks like I was 10 when it came out. I barely remember any of the story but the scenes where the guy stimmed by ripping paper stuck with me ever since. No idea why. Stephen King inadvertently jumped on the ASMR craze at least 15 years early, though! Pretty impressive! 

Man you just gave me the idea to watch that next. Appreciate you bringing that one up.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Untitled.jpg

How was it?  I haven’t seen it since it came out, remember the book better (I was a big King fan as a kid).  King was notoriously very, very high on cocaine when he wrote this one.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Untitled.jpg

Also, where did you find it?  Do you have it on disc?  Doesn’t appear to be streaming or even available digitally.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

Also, where did you find it?  Do you have it on disc?  Doesn’t appear to be streaming or even available digitally.

It's not how I remember but I liked it. Also it's available on YouTube for free. A few people uploaded the movie. The two better picture quality uploads were the ones added 3 and 2 years ago. They are the first two that come up when you search for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LeadFarmer said:

It's not how I remember but I liked it. Also it's available on YouTube for free. A few people uploaded the movie. The two better picture quality uploads were the ones added 3 and 2 years ago. They are the first two that come up when you search for it.

Thank you!  I feel silly, I never think to look at YouTube and sites that tell you where something is available always leave it off.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2024 at 12:09 PM, LeadFarmer said:

Untitled.jpg

I loved when ABC did these. Especially when they did The Stand, it being my favorite King Series.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nathan_s82 said:

I loved when ABC did these. Especially when they did The Stand, it being my favorite King Series.

Oh yeah the stand. Bro I remember when that aired. The intro of everyone being deceased man that stuck with me as a kid. Didn't they do another the stand a few years back or something?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

Oh yeah the stand. Bro I remember when that aired. The intro of everyone being deceased man that stuck with me as a kid. Didn't they do another the stand a few years back or something?

They sure did, and it was a good adaptation, but just didn't resonate with me as much as the original.

• Like 2

graphics text GIF

🥤📺🎬💽 :) 🍿🧋watched 

image.jpeg.1d6141d6db9708588326a300e52d4d18.jpeg

Fri May 3 ‘24

356889_medium.jpg?t=1712252538

Godzilla Minus One 4K UHD (2023) 👽👽👽👽👽

Shikishima, a surviving Kamikaze pilot, is attacked on Odo Island along with many war plane engineers by a gargantuan monster. After surviving, Shikishima, now on a personal mission, teams up with a large group of veterans to finally take down the monster known as Godzilla.

Only caveat for me not in English meh.gif… a gorgeous presentation & Godzilla is menacing, would enjoy more if Godzilla was fighting otherworldly creatures though! icon_biggrin.gif

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Veum said:

graphics text GIF

🥤📺🎬💽 :) 🍿🧋watched 

image.jpeg.1d6141d6db9708588326a300e52d4d18.jpeg

Fri May 3 ‘24

356889_medium.jpg?t=1712252538

Godzilla Minus One 4K UHD (2023) 👽👽👽👽👽

Shikishima, a surviving Kamikaze pilot, is attacked on Odo Island along with many war plane engineers by a gargantuan monster. After surviving, Shikishima, now on a personal mission, teams up with a large group of veterans to finally take down the monster known as Godzilla.

Only caveat for me not in English meh.gif… a gorgeous presentation & Godzilla is menacing, would enjoy more if Godzilla was fighting otherworldly creatures though! icon_biggrin.gif

If this is the Amazon Japan disc, how did you handle the lack of subtitles?

• Like 2

On 5/2/2024 at 9:36 PM, nathan_s82 said:

They sure did, and it was a good adaptation, but just didn't resonate with me as much as the original.

I was a huge fan of that book growing up.  The new adaptation was so bad to me that I couldn’t finish it.  I still like the original from the 90s pretty well though.

• Like 3

star-wars-the-phantom-menace-to-return-t

A film undervalued and vilified by the then incipient fashion of belittling George Lucas, as if the wave of "veracity" that shook cinema when it was released needed to make less of those who -still- employed imagination, or even metaphor. As if anything that was not introspective, and presumably real, was childish, or a hoax.

The curious thing is that, deep down, "The Phantom Menace" has much more reality than most of the films that critics of the time made, to such an extent that it contains many of the problems - and the lessons - of the geopolitical situation of our times.

A story and a situation structured by archetypes, motivations and real attitudes, which elevate the Saga not far from that canon also assumed by Shakespeare and other great storytellers, by establishing universal and recognisable stories as timeless icons of human behaviour, and its cyclical problems/derivatives.

The irony is that, far from ageing prematurely, like a child's toy going out of fashion, as predicted, 25 years later it remains an interesting, timely, engaging and entertaining film. And a film that, unlike the third trilogy, is Star Wars and smells of Star Wars, right down to that last final shot in which Yoda and Mace Windu hesitate whether they have destroyed the (Sith) master or the apprentice, just before the camera -naughty but solemn- shows us a shot of Palpatine.

I was surprised to see some shots slightly out of focus, with poor definition, but the experience of watching a film like this, with all that it implied and is, in the cinemas, screens and sound, that exist today, far outweighs any strangeness, and becomes a fantastic cinematic experience.

Never better said.

By the way, there was not a single free seat in the theatre. Nor was there a single free seat at the next screening.

• Like 5
  • Love 2