Basil

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

🥤🤠📺 🎬😇😷

The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue (1974) 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬 Directed by Jorge Grau 

THEY TAMPERED WITH NATURE—NOW THEY MUST PAY THE PRICE …

When a series of murders hit the remote English countryside, a detective suspects a pair of travelers when it is actually the work of the undead, jarred back to life by an experimental ultra-sonic radiation machine used by the Ministry of Agriculture to kill insects.

image.thumb.jpeg.a2475484b53b8ddcf58a6bf646c22ae8.jpeg

Soldier Blue (1970) 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬 Directed by Ralph Nelson

THE MOST SAVAGE FILM IN HISTORY!

After a cavalry group is massacred by the Cheyenne, only two survivors remain: Honus, a naive private devoted to his duty, and Cresta, a young woman who had lived with the Cheyenne two years and whose sympathies lie more with them than with the US government. Together, they must try to reach the cavalry’s main base camp. As they travel onward, Honus is torn between his growing affection for Cresta.

image.jpeg.62472ff328136b9e3a897043a39a8c3c.jpeg

Edited by Veum
  • Like 3

Hi @Bones ;

So I did a walkabout regarding the Lancaster version of Island of Dr Moreau.

You mentioned a request for Region B, which struck me as odd as you are identified on-site as being in the USA, which of course is Region A.

Regardless though, there is no special editions to be found either side of the Atlantic, just amaray Blus I'm afraid. 🙁

Should you elect to pursue either region copy, Amazon is carrying them on their respective sites and Zavvi has the 101 Films edition, which is Region-B (Amz.uk has it as well).

On West side of the pond, the KL Studios release is most common copy.

One interesting note. The Australian release (I think by Umbrella?) is going for stupid money via second source retailers, on all the Amz web-sites. I can't seem to discover what if any difference it may present. Perhaps it has an extended runtime (norm = 99 min.) or possibly better PQ/AQ. Nobody seems to know, heh.

On previous page here,  @Veum made mention of the 1st film made of Wells' little classic.

Which has become a classic of its' own.

The 1932 Erle Kenton version, starring Charles Laughton is still in my estimation, I believe Veum's and many others, the best of the lot.

Laughton owns the screen and chews it up with bravado. It was initially banned in many places and assuredly helped to quickly usher in the "Hayes Code" for rating future films.

Both Criterion (R-A) and Eureka MoC (R-B) are readily accessible from Amz sites, Zavvi, etc.

Now, as for Near Dark🥰

I agree that the MediaBooks being offered at Amz.de and I'm sure other retailers, all have gorgeous cover arts!

The one I personally have recently ordered, is the 3-disc version by Studio: Filmjuwelen (whom has also released a new edition for "The Hitcher" [Rutger Hauer] which may interest you?)

Is This one;

Link:

https://www.amazon.de/Near-Dark-Special-Mediabook-Blu-ray/dp/B0858SL96Q/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=UDW68WWN403Z&dchild=1&keywords=near+dark+mediabook&qid=1597891885&s=dvd&sprefix=near+dark%2Cdvd%2C239&sr=1-1

Pic:

Near Dark - Die Nacht hat ihren Preis (Special Edition Mediabook, + 2 DVDs) [Blu-ray]

Another film I am extremely fond of, to be sure!

I think ya got damn fine taste there good Sir!

Cheers 🙂

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Grendel said:

I knew there was somethin' about ya I liked @Fortis93, perhaps your taste in films?  🤔

Heh, cheers buddy, oh and thanks for the nod on the Split Second pic. 🙂

You too @Veum 🙂

Haha, no worries, mate.

Though I'm not sure if I'd consider my own tastes 'good' as much as they are 'all over the place'. xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Grendel said:

Hi @Bones ;

You mentioned a request for Region B, which struck me as odd as you are identified on-site as being in the USA, which of course is Region A.

Regardless though, there is no special editions to be found either side of the Atlantic, just amaray Blus I'm afraid. 🙁

Should you elect to pursue either region copy, Amazon is carrying them on their respective sites and Zavvi has the 101 Films edition, which is Region-B (Amz.uk has it as well).

One interesting note. The Australian release (I think by Umbrella?) is going for stupid money via second source retailers, on all the Amz web-sites. I can't seem to discover what if any difference it may present. Perhaps it has an extended runtime (norm = 99 min.) or possibly better PQ/AQ. Nobody seems to know, heh.

On previous page here,  @Veum made mention of the 1st film made of Wells' little classic.

The 1932 Erle Kenton version, starring Charles Laughton is still in my estimation, I believe Veum's and many others, the best of the lot.

Laughton owns the screen and chews it up with bravado. It was initially banned in many places and assuredly helped to quickly usher in the "Hayes Code" for rating future films.

Both Criterion (R-A) and Eureka MoC (R-B) are readily accessible from Amz sites, Zavvi, etc.

Now, as for Near Dark🥰

I agree that the MediaBooks being offered at Amz.de and I'm sure other retailers, all have gorgeous cover arts!

The one I personally have recently ordered, is the 3-disc version by Studio: Filmjuwelen (whom has also released a new edition for "The Hitcher" [Rutger Hauer] which may interest you?)

Is This one;

Link:

https://www.amazon.de/Near-Dark-Special-Mediabook-Blu-ray/dp/B0858SL96Q/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=UDW68WWN403Z&dchild=1&keywords=near+dark+mediabook&qid=1597891885&s=dvd&sprefix=near+dark%2Cdvd%2C239&sr=1-1

Pic:

Near Dark - Die Nacht hat ihren Preis (Special Edition Mediabook, + 2 DVDs) [Blu-ray]

Cheers 🙂

Thank You @Grendel I certainly didnt expect that much information! Thanks to @Veum, @Fortis93 and yourself, Im sold on the Charles Laughton version and ordered the criterion from amazon :) 

As a horror kid growing up in the 80's I consider myself privileged to see alot of outstanding flicks in the theaters with my Father. Alot of them were great in my opinion(Near Dark, The last starfighter, Enemy Mine, The gate, Big Trouble just to name a few), and some, in hindsight, I feel bad for dragging him too (American Ninja comes to mind). And now as a father myself of 3 Kids from 6 to 18, I like to show them the kinds of movies that I loved. Its really fun to watch one take to Sci-Fi and Fantasy and another take to horror.

As for that Near Dark, at first I was partial to the Paxton cover but I may be swinging back to the Cover you got above. Thats my next order after I pay @Masterblaster for a couple of very special movies Im dying to get my hands on! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grendel said:

@Grendel I am in the US but im region free so Im always looking for the version with the most appealing presentation :)  

• Like 1

Hello @Bones ;

More than happy to provide any info I can wrt films, buddy, kinda why we hang out here on occasion I suppose. 🙂

I find it highly admirable that you are taking opportunity to present your children some beloved classics from earlier cinema.

Shows as of late seem to relish setting a pace that a hummingbird on meth would have trouble following.

But that's a discussion for another time.

My own kids, Parents themselves now, were exposed to quality films as they grew as well so, they are out there, one just needs to track them down.

Sounds like your doing a damn fine job buddy.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Grendel said:

Well now @Bones, I've had passing interest in the Exorcist films myself. 🙂

Excellent choice!

@Grendel I love the Exorcist and Legion, never saw 2, thought the beginning and dominion were ok at best, and thought the first season on fox was an interesting take but nothing holds a candle to the other two. I bought the arrow collectors version of Beyond the Door but havnt watched it yet. Maybe ill ask wether its worth my time in another thread...

• Like 1

🥤🤠📺 🎬😇😷

THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY (1981) 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬 Directed by Lucio Fulci

READ THE FINE PRINT. YOU MAY HAVE JUST MORTGAGED YOUR LIFE.

A young family moves from their cramped New York City apartment to a spacious new home in New England. But his is no ordinary house in the country: the previous owner was the deranged Dr. Freudstein, whose monstrous human experiments have left a legacy of bloody mayhem. Now, someone – or something – is alive in the basement, and home sweet home is about to become a horrific hell on earth.

image.jpeg.d26ddc038316650cf296e3f09852a749.jpeg

• Like 1

🥤🤠📺 🎬😇😷

THE NEW YORK RIPPER (1982) 🎬🎬🎬Directed by Lucio Fulci

SLASHING UP WOMEN WAS HIS PLEASURE

A burned-out New York police detective teams up with a college psychoanalyst to track down a vicious serial killer randomly stalking and killing various young women around the city.

image.jpeg.2cba8d89e26b929236b346adc266219c.jpeg

🥤🤠📺 🎬😇😷

image.thumb.jpeg.bdeb2f6e63878ae6fdd75e429a166003.jpeg

THE Mask of Zorro (1998) 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬 Directed by Martin Campbell

NO ONE HAS SEEN HIS FACE... BUT EVERYONE ... KNOWS HIS MARK

It has been twenty years since Don Diego de la Vega fought Spanish oppression in Alta California as the legendary romantic hero, Zorro. Having escaped from prison he transforms troubled bandit Alejandro into his successor, in order to foil the plans of the tyrannical Don Rafael Montero who robbed him of his freedom, his wife and his precious daughter.

image.thumb.jpeg.044fb4a24354dbfd3f1153148b923d19.jpeg

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

On 8/20/2020 at 3:58 AM, Grendel said:

Hi @Bones ;

Now, as for Near Dark🥰

Is This one;

Link:

Pic:

Cheers 🙂

NNNEEEEEDDDDDDD IIITTTTTT

YOU ARE A NAUGHTY NAUGHTY PSYCHO MAKING ME SPEND MONEY

Heart Love GIF by swerk

• Haha 1

NOW What I came in to do . YES I FOUND TIME TO WATCH SOMETHING 

Down With Love Omg GIF

BlacKkKlansman  10 out of 5

This is a must watch movie  .

Now I have seen it Objectively I can not call the BEST Movie of 2019   Parasite  OR BlackKkKlansman

Never thought that I would type that Parasite even had a contender for that accolade from  this meagre Psycho .

Compelling watch from the start to finish the play between ALL the actors not just the leads  everyone involved .

Funny , acidic cleaver tense a true Masterpeice  and A revelation of Spike Lee as a director .

I saw a few of his earlier films as a young un so I will now revisit them with new eyes AND a new respect .

Based on a True story with some padding to help 

A young well educated man Ron Srallworth  wishes to for filll his life long wish to join the police becoming the first Black Police officer in Colorado springs  .

Starting  out as a rookie in Records  department he soon asked to be allocated as an under cover officer .

His wish is granted when a rally is being held for a celebrated civil rights leader , 

After the rally he is reassigned to the intelligence division.

After reading about a local division of the Ku Klux Klan in the newspaper, he calls posing as white  . After a returned Phone call Ron realized that not only did he use his real name, he also has to go and meet the Klan members.

Ron Stallworth recruits his Jewish fellow Intelligence Team mate , Flip Zimmerman, to act as him to meet the Klan members while he continues to pose as  Ron Stallworth white on the phone calls.

The rest you all need to watch for yourself ASAP  

To wet your viewing buds  Ill leave the Trailer here 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

🥤🤠📺 🎬😇😷

The Man From U.N.C.L.E (2015) 🎬🎬🎬🎬Directed by Guy Ritchie

SAVING THE WORLD NEVER GOES OUT OF STYLE

At the height of the Cold War, a mysterious criminal organization plans to use nuclear weapons and technology to upset the fragile balance of power between the United States and Soviet Union. CIA agent Napoleon Solo and KGB agent Illya Kuryakin are forced to put aside their hostilities and work together to stop the evildoers in their tracks. The duo’s only lead is the daughter of a missing German scientist, whom they must find soon to prevent a global catastrophe.

image.jpeg.c3a31d3972357bb22819e4ca02d688aa.jpeg

The Lone Ranger (2013) 🎬🎬🎬 Directed by Gore Verbinski

NEVER TAKE OFF THE MASK

The Texas Rangers chase down a gang of outlaws led by Butch Cavendish, but the gang ambushes the Rangers, seemingly killing them all. One survivor is found, however, by an American Indian named Tonto, who nurses him back to health. The Ranger, donning a mask and riding a white stallion named Silver, teams up with Tonto to bring the unscrupulous gang and others of that ilk to justice

image.jpeg.bd9a06c2925ae0f3f94233ead25068fc.jpeg

Edited by Veum
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Veum said:

🥤🤠📺 🎬😇😷

mother! 2017

Not even going to rate it... not my ‘cup of tea’ could not even finish it yeesh :disappointed:

what was that...

steve brule GIF

Is this the robot raising a child? I’ve seen that. From what I recall I didn’t mind it, but equally I have forgotten most of it! 😂

• Like 3

@Pbsw23

I think he is talking about Mother by Darron aronofsky.

And the film is more like a metaphor than a cohesive story. Theres alot of religious themes and symbolism. I enjoyed the film it's not something you watch for entertainment but it's a film that has something to say about God,Nature, and Man. But aronofsky films never really are extremely fun entertaining films but they are good none the less. Like requiem for a dream or black swan.

• Like 2

Awards

3 minutes ago, Ryan said:

@Pbsw23

And the film is more like a metaphor than a cohesive story. Theres alot of religious themes and symbolism. I enjoyed the film it's not something you watch for entertainment but it's a film that has something to say about God,Nature, and Man. But aronofsky films never really are extremely fun entertaining films but they are good none the less. Like requiem for a dream or black swan.

My non- rating stands, WT#$%& was that...

Eyes What GIF

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Pbsw23 said:

Is this the robot raising a child? I’ve seen that. From what I recall I didn’t mind it, but equally I have forgotten most of it! 😂

59 minutes ago, Ryan said:

@Pbsw23

Not seen it have seen Noah and that was one visual masterpiece even IF it was as mad as a box of frogs .

Now Bong Joon Ho's Mother i was impressed with that 

Yes I am A Bong Joon Ho Groupie 

saturday night live dancing GIF

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Veum said:

🥤🤠📺 🎬😇😷

mother! 2017

Not even going to rate it... not my ‘cup of tea’ could not even finish it yeesh :disappointed:

what was that...

steve brule GIF

In honor and memory of Chadwick Boseman R.I.P. 🙏😇

🥤🤠📺 🎬😇😷

Black Panther (2018) 🎬🎬🎬1/2 Directed by Ryan Coogler

LONG LIVE THE KING

King T’Challa returns home from America to the reclusive, technologically advanced African nation of Wakanda to serve as his country’s new leader. However, T’Challa soon finds that he is challenged for the throne by factions within his own country as well as without. Using powers reserved to Wakandan kings, T’Challa assumes the Black Panther mantel to join with girlfriend Nakia, the queen-mother, his princess-kid sister, members of the Dora Milaje (the Wakandan ‘special forces’) and an American secret agent, to prevent Wakanda from being dragged into a world war.

image.jpeg.60ec4c7999d529d712ef2ed1e0f962cd.jpeg

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

@Pbsw23

I had not remembered Darron Aronofsky did Noah, know wonder I did not like this... I did not like that one either, to each his/her own... that’s the beauty of life there is plenty to go around hey!😉

different wes anderson GIF

• Like 1