What did you watch last night???

Basil

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Pbsw23 said:

OK! Soooooooo. Last night I went with Magic Mike.

giphy.gif

I’ll just pause for effect and let that sink in.

Yes - You read that correctly, Magic Mike. 

No - I do not own it, and No, I have not seen it before.

Yes - It was a spare of the moment decision, and Yes, I was channel hopping.

Also Yes - I did chose to watch it of my own free will, and Yes, I had indeed been drinking all afternoon & evening.

And lastly, No - I did not make it to the end. 🤣

Basically, I thought to myself “Ok, let’s see what all the fuss is about”. I think in the cold light of day we all know the answer to that without thinking to hard about it. Lots of male flesh cavorting and writhing about. BUT, what is the plot? Is there even a plot?

Apart from the obvious bad acting and low budget filming you would kind of expect, I was thinking to myself “So this is about a bloke, who makes a new friend, and then they just take their clothes off & party a lot together? I mean, Apparently there is indeed NO plot?! 😱 Oh the shame of it all Ladies. 🤭

giphy.gif

Anyway, I made it as far as a group of well built, well oiled blokes sat on a remote island drinking beer together and having a jolly old good time of it, and I finally thought “WTF are you watching Paul - Go to bed, FFS just go to bed” 🤣 I guess I’ll never know how it ends, but I won’t lose (anymore) sleep worrying about it either. 😁👍🏼

1 hour ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

So I guess the sequel is out of the equation?

Btw I watched both... until the end 🤭

Embarrassed The Office GIF by Justin

3 minutes ago, Pbsw23 said:

HOLD UP.......... There’s a Freakin’ Sequel?!!!!! 😱 What possible kind of plot can that one even begin to try and pull off? 🤣

NOW I could argue that Magic Mike is the  Posher high budget American version of THIS 

To my shame never seen Magic Mike OR XL  Give me 

Gaz and the Hot Steel lads 

• Haha 3

🥤🤠📺 🎬😇😷

Colossal (2016) 🎬🎬 Directed by Nacho Vigalondo 

There’s a monster in all of us

A woman discovers that severe catastrophic events are somehow connected to the mental breakdown from which she’s suffering.

At least Ann Hathaway is nice to look at...

Colossal

Edited by Veum
  • Like 3

On 6/5/2020 at 8:58 PM, DodgyDave said:

Watched 1917 tonight in 4K. 
Much better than Nolan’s Dunkirk, but still not a patch on Hacksaw Ridge. 
Interesting use of the camera in what appears to be one shot filming, but doesn’t alter the fact that it was a bit slow.
Definitely overrated. Much like most Oscar nominated films are. 
Just my opinion of course. 

I liked Dunkirk best, but would give the best war movie of all time to Saving Private Ryan.

I agree it was overrated just like Parasite. Enjoyable watch but not as amazing as people made out.

On that note I think Ford Vs Ferrari was underrated.

• Like 1

• ★ Administrators ★
24 minutes ago, Danny said:

I liked Dunkirk best, but would give the best war movie of all time to Saving Private Ryan.

I agree it was overrated just like Parasite. Enjoyable watch but not as amazing as people made out.

On that note I think Ford Vs Ferrari was underrated.

Not seen Ford vs Ferrari yet. But I liked Rush, and many did not. So I believe it could be underrated. When I watch it, I’ll let you know. ;)

• Like 1

Double billing last night! 😱

giphy.gif

1st up was John Wick. Great movie (As vast majority will concur) but I did find myself taking issue with it a couple of times last night. I won’t say anymore than that in fear of getting lynched 😂 But a Good Sat night sofa watch.

Next up was supposed to be bed! But I discovered McFarland, USA. Never heard of it before, but as KC was in it, I thought I’d give it a bash. It’s Disney (I didn’t know that until just now) and based on a real events story, and a Feel good underdog movie that kept me tuned in throughout. Decent film and I would say makes for a perfect Sunday afternoon movie if you’re at a loose end. 😊👍🏼

image.thumb.jpeg.3eff3272787b5c630ef38ae4ae0a4999.jpeg

Edited by Pbsw23
  • Like 4

I liked "Rush" more than "Ford vs. Ferrari".  In"Rush" I felt much more involved by the drama that beat in the two pilots, so different and with so many things in common. In "Ford vs. Ferrari" I had a good time, really, but the last third of the film for me was too topical, too much repeating the usual scheme, without having so much soul. I didn't get so involved.

And "John Wick" is very funny. The film takes some common topics, but tries to give it another boost, or at least give it its own personality. I liked it. 

• Like 3

image.thumb.png.680c5c81526b0615175f259c4b202675.png

🥤🤠📺 🎬😇😷

Street Outlaws: Memphis (2020) 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

Wrecking Havoc 🏎 street outlaws memphis season 4 • episode 116

Street Outlaws is traveling to the toughest, meanest and wildest streets in the South, as it heads to Memphis to spotlight JJ Da Boss and his team of family and friends who have been racing together for decades.

image.jpeg.20c267e6e691b0447e94aa80b47dfd6f.jpeg

Edited by Veum
  • Like 1

🥤🤠📺 🎬😇😷

Peeping Tom (1960) 🎬🎬🎬 Directed by Michael Powell

WHAT MADE THIS THE MOST DIABOLICAL MURDER WEAPON EVER USED?

Loner Mark Lewis works at a film studio during the day and, at night, takes racy photographs of women. Also he’s making a documentary on fear, which involves recording the reactions of victims as he murders them. He befriends Helen, the daughter of the family living in the apartment below his, and he tells her vaguely about the movie he is making.

Slow moving film 🎞 w/a real nutter of a fellow...

image.jpeg.5ce00127eb7e38c40a2be942c1485e81.jpeg

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

🥤🤠📺 🎬😇😷

551EFFB7-CF78-4696-A5D5-DF1773204F0E.jpeg.d53ae95eac5cbe5d54b88ff7838e8605.jpeg

WW II in HD 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

Mountain Men (2020)

World War II: Race To Victory  🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬 

Three-Part Miniseries Event 

image.thumb.jpeg.6bc2cc72caee2f22a77583f8bc232496.jpeg

About the Series

This 6-hour documentary series recalls one of the most thrilling races in history, between three icons, super powers and ideologies that came together to overcome a greater evil and achieve VE Day. Churchill, Roosevelt and Stalin find themselves in an uneasy alliance, fraught with power-struggles, false promises and deadly suspicions of each other. The series paints an in-depth picture of the race to power and victory during the war, to reach VE Day.

The World Wars 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬 

S 1 E 1

Trial By Fire

May 26, 2014 | TV-14 V

An assassin's bullet sparks a global conflict that quickly evolves into the deadliest war humanity has ever seen. In the chaos, a new generation of soldier emerges, including a group of men who would become the most infamous leaders of the 20th century. Jeremy Renner narrates.

image.thumb.jpeg.fb5e01da11f97dd1c8fd4d6b7bad1a60.jpeg

SALUTE To AMERICA 🇺🇸 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬 

image.jpeg.e7d5581097c221e6d55c2266678a8b12.jpeg

image.jpeg.e88e17836a65ba57bf53f062808f8620.jpeg

Edited by Veum
  • Like 1

🥤🤠📺 🎬😇😷

551EFFB7-CF78-4696-A5D5-DF1773204F0E.jpeg.d53ae95eac5cbe5d54b88ff7838e8605.jpeg

GRANT 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

image.thumb.jpeg.d5b3af9ee2538c738229a19b9756d543.jpeg

About the Series

At the time of his death, Ulysses S. Grant was the most famous man in the world and stood alongside men like George Washington and Abraham Lincoln in the pantheon of American heroes. However, today Ulysses S. Grant is largely forgotten, his rightful legacy tarnished by a fog of myth, rumor and falsehood.

Edited by Veum
  • Like 1

Seoul Station 3.8 out of 5

Animated prequel to the FANTASTIC Train to Busan and with Peninsular the sequel on its way sometime I figured catch up time on the very start of the story .

Such a grown up watch for an animation . Lots of difficult subjects covered in like 90  minutes from

prostitution 

police brutality 

pimping 

homelessness

and that was just the tip of the iceberg

I was expecting the start of the out brake featured in Train yet this was so much more .

Told in a way that connected like the movie sequel Train in a   human way that made a seamless connection .

NOT your run of the mill Animated Zom Rom Nom  movie .

Definitely needs and has room for multiple re watches .

• Like 2

this-is-where-i-leave-you-comp-quad.jpg

A film that I did not know, and that I found surprisingly funny.

Under the excuse of a burial we have the usual family reunion, uncomfortable encounters, going back to the place where you were born dragging your own joys and frustrations, and having to experience how maturity is faced seeing the place -and people- from which you left, and where you managed to get to.

It's a known approach. But, in this case, you have to add a good script, and a cast whose interpretations -carrying out funny and / or interesting characters- are above the norm in this type of film.

In fact, the comic part it's very well made. If the director had had some ambition and some dramatic pulse for non-comical parts, taking care of the general narration as much as he took care of certain individual scenes, it would have been a really good movie.

Still, I had a really good time watching it. And Adam Drive is definitely the best actor of his generation.

• Like 3