IGNORED

What did you watch last night???

Basil

well last night i stayed up watching 'the warrior' staring tom hardy and thought his performance super.

basically 2 brothers long since split and at odds with each other, a drunk father and whole load of back story, end up having to fight one another in a mixed martial arts tournament.

the story is good super for the first half, the fighting some of it bit wishy washy and unbelivleable.

but the story thru this punches thru and grabs at the heart strings all the way thru.

anyway from me a 8 out of 10, had the fighting been bit more believable in some cases could have been a 10.

well worth a watch and why i only had 4 hrs sleep before taking the wife to work this morning and im paying for it now xD 

my advice if you get a chance to see this do 👍

basil 👍

• Like 3

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

🥤54E530F6-EABC-4B07-AF0E-CDA65C4FF56B.gif.1b122506c93262d0045d3e4957f77e6c.gif📺🎬

AHC

American Heroes Channel

GUNSLINGERS

John Wesley Hardin: The Dark Heart of Texas 2A3599FD-FF5E-4A47-94A1-73DA38296852.gif.1896c925fd99d21a88460f8140e38f63.gif 📺📺📺📺📺

In the turbulent aftermath of the Civil War, a volatile gunman wages a bloody crusade against anyone who stands between himself and his notions of freedom. Probably the most feared/fastest gunslinger ever in the Old West as he even got the great Wild Bill Hickcock to back down.

• Like 3

🥤54E530F6-EABC-4B07-AF0E-CDA65C4FF56B.gif.1b122506c93262d0045d3e4957f77e6c.gif📺🎬

image.png.ad1757c7f9475dd2d29bc948bc97c9a8.png

Murder by the Lake: The Celtic Mystery  S1 Ep1 2A3599FD-FF5E-4A47-94A1-73DA38296852.gif.1896c925fd99d21a88460f8140e38f63.gif 📺📺📺📺📺

I just love these international crime dramas (I feel at home here b/c it feels like I’m on our MP site 😝 I HATE SUB-TITLES hey)

Police find a Celtic mask and a cryptic message at a murder scene.

Edited by Veum
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Grendel said:

@Veum ;

I just noticed you mentioned above, you "hate subtitles".

You may wish to keep a very close eye on the Anime titles you order then, as it can be a 50-50% split between subs and Dubs with those. 🙂

30 minutes ago, Intentcoin said:

*gasps* 😱

@Grendel / @Intentcoin, LOL 😂 I was just... I watch them all the time & do not have a problem with them haha 😆 

joking april fools GIF by Katelyn Tarver

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Last night I've watched "Insomnia", a 1997 norway film recommended by @Veum

45045a40d7ffbc28f164355d8d4b8aa3d9e7de07

It's the original film from which Nolan made his remake five years later. I love Nolan's movie, but I really liked this one. It's different, and although it both obviously have points in common, it also have differences.

"Insomnia", 1997 by Erik Skjoldbjærg, has an unhealthy, disturbing point that infiltrates throughout the film. And, just as the sun begins to wear down the protagonist little by little, and the light goes from being something useful to ending up being something blinding, or suffocating him; this unhealthy point is also gradually being introduced into your point of view about the film: you start seeing it from the analytical coldness of the arriving policeman, and end up feeling all soaked from some point of view linked to the murderer, its irrationality or perverse. 

But without the need to show too much terrible and shocking things. Not, it's not a typical mainstream film. Here, almost everything is latent, it's behind the eyes of the writer character, and in the environment, in the light.

For me the greatest achievement of this film is precisely how, little by little, and almost without realizing it, everything ends up invaded by this ambient. By its dark glow. Or, at least, by that feeling of moral filth.

Spoiler

Maybe this is the true journey that the protagonist makes: end up not being so different from the writer.

And not only did I have fun watching it, but it seems like a really good movie.

Edited by Casiusco
  • Like 5

The Darkest Hour  5 out of 5

Why I left this so long to see is a true crime and I hang my head in shame .

The story of Winston Churchill and how against his unflinching  , uncompromising and stubborn point of view about the rise of Adolf Hitler and the Nazi party.

The story of how he risked not only his career as a politician also to mobilise a war wiry  a nation to war .

From his single minded stance to go against UK Parliament of 1940 . Leading to his nomination as Prime Minister and the mobilising a ingenious plan using small boats to sail accross the English Channel and save UK and Commonwealth troops stranded at Dunkirk .

QUITE SIMPLY PUT A STAND OUT MOVIE AND THE PERFORMANCE OF GARY OLDMAN'S CAREER .

Planning on a reawatch with Nolans Dunkirk right after The Darkest Hour finishes .

In a word from me looking back at the sacrifices of ALL PEOPLE ALL COUNTIES SERVING AND CIVILIAN AT THAT TIME 

HUMBLED !!!!

• Like 5

The Hunters - Rolf Lassgard (the original WALLANDER, YEAH!😊) stars as a retired Stockholm cop drawn into a mystery in Sweden’s far north.

Season 1 Episode 1 2A3599FD-FF5E-4A47-94A1-73DA38296852.gif.1896c925fd99d21a88460f8140e38f63.gif 📺📺📺📺📺

Erik reluctantly agrees to help a mining entrepreneur who has been subject to attacks.

The Hunters: Episode 01 (Sn 1 Ep 1

• Like 2

🥤54E530F6-EABC-4B07-AF0E-CDA65C4FF56B.gif.1b122506c93262d0045d3e4957f77e6c.gif📺 🎬 😷

image.jpeg.2524add87e26d1f933403b6c61e6e5fd.jpeg

A very wild-ride of a movie, however I do enjoy the lovely Anna Kendrick, yeah!😘

A Simple Favor 🎬🎬🎬 (2018) Directed by Paul Fieg

CAN YOU KEEP A SECRET?

Stephanie, a dedicated mother and popular vlogger, befriends Emily, a mysterious upper-class woman whose son Nicky attends the same school as Miles, Stephanie’s son. When Emily asks her to pick Nicky up from school and then disappears, Stephanie undertakes an investigation that will dive deep into Emily’s cloudy past.

Edited by Veum
  • Like 3

Tonight I was watching "Ms. 45", Abel Ferrara, 1981.

tumblr_nm5k65rryw1spqx0mo1_500.gifv

He's not a director that I've followed a lot, but without looking for him I've watched two of his films in a short time: "Bad lieutenant", and this one, "Mr. 45".

The plot is simple and easy for an exploitation movie of that years: an innocent, good girl, is raped twice on the same day, and decides to do justice. So far we could say that it can be a more or less fun film, but at the same time topical.

The special thing about this film is that it has some illogical, exaggerated, and strange details, mixing very different things; both in terms of humor and action; until it becomes a strange mixture that shows exploiting things, influence from any Italian film of blood and revenge of seventies, or some low cost comedy. But all this joined is very well modulated; Ferrara's direction manages to give consistency to the set, and even some absurd details, or that in another film would seem sloppy, here seem to make sense.

Even the protagonist doesn't decide to take revenge, or help other women, making a conscious decision, no. It happens unintentionally. Simply, the facts take her little by little there. And when you have already reached that, and Ferrara has convinced you, it's when he can afford to take a free leap or addition that in other films would have been out of place.

A well-kept rhythm, and knowing how to keep the balance between those different elements to be fun and not break the moment, I think that is the key of the film.

I had a good time watching it. And I recognize that after this two different films my opinion about Ferrara is much better.

Maybe I should have done it before.

Edited by Casiusco
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm a strong fan of Ferrara as he's put out some extraordinary films.

You've mentioned one of his best, "Bad Lieutenant" which Keitel owns beautifully but also;

- King Of New York (Walken)

- The Addiction (Lili Taylor and Chris Walken)

- The Funeral (Walken)

- Go Go Tales (DeFoe, Hoskins) INSANE!!!

That's just outta my head, I know I'm forgetting others I loved.

Ms. 45 was one of his rather early films (it shows) but does have perverse charm.

If you enjoyed his works at all, perhaps check out some of the ones I've listed. You'll be pleasantly entertained @Casiusco  🤭

Edited by Grendel
  • Thanks 2

Okay, this just popped in my head so had to blurt it out @Casiusco ;

Thinking about "Go-Go Girls" brought this up.

I spent time in Spain in the early '80s and a little town on the Med coast named Calella had the most bizarre disco-tech I'd ever seen...

It was called "Hiroshima Disco" and inside, it looked like an atomic bomb had gone off, decor wise.

Yes, that was the theme, atomic rubble...

The speakers were banking it out at level 11 and the laser lights were extreme and everywhere.

Dance floor was tripping fine and the Estrellas were flowing down lovely.

At one point, the DJ played "Light My Fire" (by The Doors) so I hopped up and approached his booth.

I asked (in my cave-man Spanish) if he had any more Doors songs?

He just smiled and responded in English, "yes, all of them".

So I slid him some money and asked "would you play another?"

He smiled and just said, "done".

For the next HOUR, he played nothing but The Doors.

The crowd LOVED it!

Yeah, good times. 🤗

(to this day, I have no idea how much money I slid to him...)

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Grendel said:

Okay, this just popped in my head so had to blurt it out @Casiusco ;

Thinking about "Go-Go Girls" brought this up.

I spent time in Spain in the early '80s and a little town on the Med coast named Calella had the most bizarre disco-tech I'd ever seen...

It was called "Hiroshima Disco" and inside, it looked like an atomic bomb had gone off, decor wise.

Yes, that was the theme, atomic rubble...

The speakers were banking it out at level 11 and the laser lights were extreme and everywhere.

Dance floor was tripping fine and the Estrellas were flowing down lovely.

At one point, the DJ played "Light My Fire" (by The Doors) so I hopped up and approached his booth.

I asked (in my cave-man Spanish) if he had any more Doors songs?

He just smiled and responded in English, "yes, all of them".

So I slid him some money and asked "would you play another?"

He smiled and just said, "done".

For the next HOUR, he played nothing but The Doors.

The crowd LOVED it!

Yeah, good times. 🤗

(to this day, I have no idea how much money I slid to him...)

An interesting and charming experience.

I don't live in that area of Spain, but until the turn of the century along the coast you could be in really peculiar pubs and discotheques. Then, over time, everything became more pretentious, cooler. Although I suppose there is everything everywhere.

Thank you very much for this story. It has "smelled" me of old times in similar places. Maybe one day we will have to start a thread to talk about these kind things, although telling small or big real experiences could be a bit problematic. You know.

And thank you very much for the recommendations about Ferrara. After these two movies watched last few weeks, I'm curious to watch more.

PS: Probably today the DJ would tell you that "The doors" is a brand of t-shirts and that they do not make records.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

🥤54E530F6-EABC-4B07-AF0E-CDA65C4FF56B.gif.1b122506c93262d0045d3e4957f77e6c.gif📺 🎬 😷

An Acceptable Loss 📺📺📺📺 (2018) Directed by Joe Chappelle

A slow-burn thriller that tickles my fancy (probably b/c of Tika Sumpter 😘 & the intrigue hey) my ‘cup of tea’

THE TRUTH IS A MOVING TARGET

Former top U.S. security adviser Elizabeth “Libby” Lamm is threatened by associates from her dark past including Rachel Burke a steely, commanding politician with an unwavering knack for achieving her goals. Colluding with Rachel is Adrian, an unyielding, patriotic chief of staff. Martin harbors another type of obsession with Libby in this story of betrayal and regret.

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

Bad Company: Live at Red Rocks  🎤🎸🥁🎸🎸

A legendary rock band at an equally legendary venue!

On Sunday, May 15th 2016, Bad Company hit the stage at Red Rocks Amphitheatre for a stop on their fittingly named “One Hell of a Night” Tour. Paul Rodgers’ signature voice sounded as strong as ever as he, alongside Simon Kirke, delivered one striking and powerful performance that got the entire crowd “dancing in the aisles and singing out loud.” They opened their set with “Feel Like Making Love”, “Ready for Love”, and “Shooting Star” all while a cold rain began to fall over the crowd. The setlist moved away from the hard rock hits to a stunning all-strings version of “Seagull,” before the encore performance of the band’s self-titled iconic hit, “Bad Company”. 

• Like 2

THE STONE KILLER 🎬🎬🎬 1/2 (1973) Directed by Michael Winner

Lots of action with the great baaad man himself Bronson!😊

TAKE AWAY HIS BADGE AND HE’D TOP THE TEN MOST WANTED LIST!

A Los Angeles detective is sent to New York where he must solve a case involving an old Sicilian Mafia family feud.

• Like 2

The Hunters - Rolf Lassgard (the original WALLANDER, YEAH!😊) stars as a retired Stockholm cop drawn into a mystery in Sweden’s far north.

Season 1 Episode 2 2A3599FD-FF5E-4A47-94A1-73DA38296852.gif.1896c925fd99d21a88460f8140e38f63.gif 📺📺📺📺📺

Peter takes his suspicions about the hit-and-run to Erik, who agrees to investigate.

Season 1 Episode 3 2A3599FD-FF5E-4A47-94A1-73DA38296852.gif.1896c925fd99d21a88460f8140e38f63.gif 📺📺📺📺📺
Erik's suspicions are confirmed after the group comes under attack at the hunting lodge.

Season 1 Episode 4 2A3599FD-FF5E-4A47-94A1-73DA38296852.gif.1896c925fd99d21a88460f8140e38f63.gif 📺📺📺📺📺

Erik is convinced a missing laptop contains the evidence he seeks, but time is running out.

Season 1 Episode 5 2A3599FD-FF5E-4A47-94A1-73DA38296852.gif.1896c925fd99d21a88460f8140e38f63.gif 📺📺📺📺📺

Thinking he is being driven to the station to confess, Erik is instead set up and kidnapped.

Season 1 Episode 6 2A3599FD-FF5E-4A47-94A1-73DA38296852.gif.1896c925fd99d21a88460f8140e38f63.gif 📺📺📺📺📺

Fleeing into the forest, Erik makes his final stand as the hunters pursue.

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

king.jpg?w=1000

A movie starring Tom Hanks is a movies genre by itself. A brand with easily distinguishable characteristics. I'm not referring to his great films, but to a type of film that, developing a friendly, entertaining and simple comedy, gradually comes to show us a more serious reality -and a deeper one- beating behind it; in an obvious way, but without breaking at any time that comedy staging, and that lightness, often entertaining, and always affordable.

These are films with which you always have a good time, don't require any kind of effort, and even the ones you like the least it's valid for spending time without any requirement.

"A hologram for the King" is one of those movies. Entertaining, and at the same time misleading, because this time the differences between comedy and "real life" are marked a little more than usual in this Hanks-Genre. It's not easy to guess the tone of the end in the gags of the beginning. And, although I just hung out, and the time passed quickly, I was left with a bittersweet feeling. I consider it a failed movie.

Why, if I have had a good time?

Because this time, that substrate that pulsed underneath, that "real life" that was sensed, and that dominates the last third of the film, gave much more to do. It could have been a more interesting, more important, more demanding film, and even more fun.

What started as a typical comedy ended up showing a character that is more interesting and complex when the work issues becomes secondary, the comedy McGuffin loses strength, and we see how his adaptation to the world, his ideas, and his personal evolution as man in front of what he is living, undresses him it and forces him to rethink everything facing the possibility of starting from scratch; in a stage of life where he can no longer start from scratch because he has a whole life on his back, and the responsibility that this implies.

There was a story that could have been developed much more, or not so quickly, and thus, so artificially. So topical. So poor.

And here we come to what for me is its biggest flaw: editing. It seems like a summary of another movie that we have never watched; or maybe they never did. A final cut of just over an hour and a half that seems to be done in a hurry, for a story that could give much more; causing the first two-thirds of comedy to sometimes look like a montage with gags from another, longer movie; and that last third of the Hanks character to be underdeveloped.

It reminded me of those films where there are problems between director and producer, and in the end the producer orders a light and quick editing to release it anyway and recover some of the investment. Those kinds of movies.

In the end, you can have a nice time, Tom Hanks always assures you of a minimum comfortable that we all know. But for that reason I don't stop thinking that it is a failed film.

It could have been better comedy, and better drama. It stayed in no man's land, and it left no one happy.

Edited by Casiusco
  • Like 2

🥤🤠📺 🎬😇😷

The Dark Knight 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬 (2008) Directed by Christopher Nolan

It was so good to see TDK again as it is my fav Batman & is so classic (A replay watch that never gets old for me hey) 😃 

WHY SO SERIOUS?

Batman raises the stakes in his war on crime. With the help of Lt. Jim Gordon and District Attorney Harvey Dent, Batman sets out to dismantle the remaining criminal organizations that plague the streets. The partnership proves to be effective, but they soon find themselves prey to a reign of chaos unleashed by a rising criminal mastermind known to the terrified citizens of Gotham as the Joker.

• Like 3

🥤🤠📺 🎬😇😷

Batman Begins 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬 (2005) Directed by Christopher Nolan

B B starts the classic trilogy which is exceptional with a superb cast of characters, an amazing, exciting Batman saga Begins... It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.”

EVIL FEARS THE KNIGHT.

Driven by tragedy, billionaire Bruce Wayne dedicates his life to uncovering and defeating the corruption that plagues his home, Gotham City. Unable to work within the system, he instead creates a new identity, a symbol of fear for the criminal underworld – The Batman.

• Like 4

^^ I know many are big fans of Christian Bale portraying Bats but I personally have a few issues with him in the role.  🤔

First, I should say that I do actually like Christian Bale as an actor and he has proven frequently that he can be versatile, in such films as;

- The Machinist

- Reign Of Fire

- The Flowers Of War

- 3:10 To Yuma, and of course

- American Psycho

as a sampling of the different genres and character styles he can do justice to.

As Bruce Wayne, I found him frequently  believable, as I suspect all he needed do is tap into his own personality to drive him, heh (though he frequently tripped over his own accent on occasion).

As Bats however, I wasn't overly enthusiastic....

I somehow have a sneaky suspicion, that Nolan had Bale use that gutteral deep voice as Bats to hide his Welsh accent, for when Bale gets excited, it comes through frequently, heh.

But it was more than that, his persona and mannerisms seemed out of context with what was going on in the scene, I mean, even those who knew who he was under the cowl seemed perplexed as to why he would be "in character" during a normal conversation?

That might have been Nolan's fault, I dunno but it was confusing, to me at least.

He also came across as a snarky ass frequently, usually as Wayne, which would somersault from the brooding loner he would play in a scene 2 minutes later.

That I lay on Bale more than the script, as I think he quite enjoys playing characters that either do know a lot more than others or pretend to know more than others.

Either way, the portrayed mood swings I found a bit jarring regardless of the 'front' he perhaps considered Wayne should present.

Anyway, I very much enjoyed the trilogy and Bale did not "fail me" as Bats (like say, Clooney or Kilmer did) just seemed mis-used.

Alas, We've now got 'Glitter Boy' dawning the cowl, so I may soon be wishing for the "good olde days of yore" when Bats was given dignity by a Welshman with a well known  temper...😀

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 2