• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• ★ Administrators ★
On 4/5/2020 at 9:40 PM, Hollywood E Rock said:

@mgurau

Can you explain your reasons for disliking the film you can add you comments in a spoiler tag if you need to. Personally I liked the movie, but it doesn’t match all the hype. People talk about the movie like it’s a masterpiece

giphy.gif

I really loved the movie ! 

• Like 3

I thought it was a great movie; about a person in the throes of losing their mind finally taking that last step off the ledge.

As a "Joker" film?

Not so much.

I don't think the film portrays the strength and inner resolve the Joker has always exuded, in both comics and other films.

I did not need to see the glaring imperfections behind the mask.

Yes I know, everyone wants "more realism" in their films but I'd suggest we be careful what we wish for.

Batman is a veritable icon and though a good guy, he's got his bats in the closet.

His greatest nemesis (well, since going from crime fighter to super-hero fighting super-villains) has always been The Joker, evil in the flesh. The master manipulator, the Crown Prince of Crime. The guy no other crook (in that universe) will mess with.

Phoenix's portrayal...um...not so much.

Yeah I know, origin story... he'll grow. But the seed and the sprout are not what I wanted to see planted.

The few rants from Ledger in Dark Knight about his "reformation" at an early age seemed more the way to go for me.

Again, thought the film was very good indeed. It just didn't give me the 'Origin' I wanted.  🤡

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Grendel said:

I thought it was a great movie; about a person in the throes of losing their mind finally taking that last step off the ledge.

As a "Joker" film?

Not so much.

I don't think the film portrays the strength and inner resolve the Joker has always exuded, in both comics and other films.

I did not need to see the glaring imperfections behind the mask.

Yes I know, everyone wants "more realism" in their films but I'd suggest we be careful what we wish for.

Batman is a veritable icon and though a good guy, he's got his bats in the closet.

His greatest nemesis (well, since going from crime fighter to super-hero fighting super-villains) has always been The Joker, evil in the flesh. The master manipulator, the Crown Prince of Crime. The guy no other crook (in that universe) will mess with.

Phoenix's portrayal...um...not so much.

Yeah I know, origin story... he'll grow. But the seed and the sprout are not what I wanted to see planted.

The few rants from Ledger in Dark Knight about his "reformation" at an early age seemed more the way to go for me.

• Again, thought the film was very good indeed. It just didn't give me the 'Origin' I wanted.  🤡

@Grendel

I have to respectfully disagree, as I think the story went into how ruthless the nemesis Joker was/is to be. He exudes the craziness that I believe the Joker becomes. Society mistreated the troubled comedian Arthur Fleck and led his true alter the Joker to become that bloody insane criminal that terrorizes Gotham City hey! 🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

Joaquin was just superb in his portrayal as Joker 🃏

happy joaquin phoenix GIF

just as Heath was in his version of the Joker (his version was just a little more gritty for me though yeah)🃏

heath ledger joker GIF

They both get 5 🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏 from me...

Both are Masterpiece’s for me IMO fellows 🎤 I love them... I’m so glad we can watch both versions & enjoy them so! 🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

^^ I absolutely respect your views on the flik @Veum.

I'm glad it struck such a resounding chord with you.

But, the whole "society done him wrong" shtick has worn far too thin for me.

For once I think we could handle a person who, for the variety of reasons that exist, just goes nuts... it happens, a lot.

I think that was one thing that rang hollow for me with this rendition, that we had to see Fleck get 'victimized' in order to understand why he becomes what he does.

Why?

I'm fine with leaving the "why" a mystery. In fact sometimes I prefer it, so that I can imagine my own rationale for what I'm viewing.

Alas, some folks don't like things they don't understand. And, sometimes they don't like having things explained, either...(like me, heh).

M2c

🙂

edit: oh, those who have watched "The King Of Comedy" will recognize some of my other small peeves as well.

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler
8 minutes ago, Veum said:

@Grendel

I have to respectfully disagree, as I think the story went into how ruthless the nemesis Joker was/is to be. He exudes the craziness that I believe the Joker becomes. Society mistreated the troubled comedian Arthur Fleck and led his true alter the Joker to become that bloody insane criminal that terrorizes Gotham City hey! 🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

Joaquin was just superb in his portrayal as Joker 🃏

happy joaquin phoenix GIF

just as Heath was in his version of the Joker (his version was just a little more gritty for me though yeah)🃏

heath ledger joker GIF

They both get 5 🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏 from me...

Both are Masterpiece’s for me IMO fellows 🎤 I love them... I’m so glad we can watch both versions & enjoy them so! 🤪

@Veum

I knew you was going to disagree with @Grendel point of view on the movie

giphy.gif

Guess what my friend,

giphy.gif

WITH YOU!

giphy.gif

Joaquin Is great in the movie but his version of the Joker doesn’t have me convinced that he would ever be a true match for The Batman. There isn’t anything in the movie that makes me believe this version could ever become a criminal mastermind either. He isn’t the Joker, just a man who dresses as a clown. With that said it’s still a good movie & worth owning.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hollywood E Rock said:
  Reveal hidden contents

@Veum

I knew you was going to disagree with @Grendel point of view on the movie

giphy.gif

Guess what my friend,

giphy.gif

WITH YOU!

giphy.gif

Joaquin Is great in the movie but his version of the Joker doesn’t have me convinced that he would ever be a true match for The Batman. There isn’t anything in the movie that makes me believe this version could ever become a criminal mastermind either. He isn’t the Joker, just a man who dresses as a clown. With that said it’s still a good movie & worth owning.

Haha 🤣 nice to see we respectfully disagree @Hollywood E Rock... you just wait till the follow-up the JOKER will be unleashed 😝 

joaquin phoenix smile GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Garypool said:

So is this arriving tomorrow if we selected direct from Mantalab or they're being sent out tomorrow?

Release date is tomorrow so Manta is expected to start shipping these over the next few days.

If I’m not mistaken, members who selected the direct shipping option will receive at some point a tracking number from @airwins

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• ★ Administrators ★

Hi guys,

A piece of good news.

Manta Lab says all Joker stock is ready in the office, so on that aspect, there is no delay to the release!

However, do expect a slower process to shipment mainly because of reduced manpower and having to work closely with courier companies.

The speed of exporting is based on the frequency of flights and the volume of parcels in queue.

We shall see some pictures soon from Hong Kong collectors within the next few days 😃

Cheers.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

39 minutes ago, Grendel said:

^^ So What's with the 4K and Blu-ray J-card wrap-arounds?

Is this the new normal (i.e. FAC is doing it to their "Inception" release) ?  😟

@Grendel

It’s probably more of a Warner Brothers request. Joker like Inception belongs to Warner Brothers & that’s the common thread I noticed. I’m not sure why they would care so much, but they are probably requesting all retailers to include the stupid J Card to all the films that come from them. Quite terrible for the collectors who don’t like to open their sets.

Edited by Hollywood E Rock
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Grendel said:

Thanks for the heads-up @ksosk 🙂

The j-card is one thing but marring a lovely Steel with bloody credits is unforgivable.

Do they actually want us to stop buying them?

@Grendel

I totally agree, I can get over the J card, but there isn’t a need at all to print credits on the back of the steelbook. It’s visually an eyesore! WB has a large loyal fan base that they continue to disappoint with unnecessary decision making.

• Like 3

• ★ Administrators ★

@Hollywood E Rock @Grendel

I’m also disappointed by the credits on the back artwork as well. I doubt Warner has any idea of what collectors in this market want. They seem to want to apply mass market rules across the board, which is a shame. Hopefully one day they will pay more attention but I doubt we’ll see any change for a long time 

• Like 4

whats the bet its to stop printing a jcard and save money, some bright spark at wb prob come up with the idea.

its a shame they just didn't do with a peelable see thru sticker then at least that way we would have the option.

if we didn't want it we could remove it.

and wb are known for wwa with sh1tty finishes to save money. called streaky matte.

what would be nice if for once if collectors could choose debossing, finshes etc.

think that be a world first xD 

i remember when i first started out a guy called zerox who was the steelbook purchaser at futureshop canada and he was a proper steelbook collector, he got to order what was on the steel and it really showed.

then best buy US bought them out he was promoted and taken out of that dept.

and the standards did drop then, dont know if anyone will remember that far back with me.

i know @DodgyDave prob will and @Masterblaster will it takes long memory for that right guys xD 

basil 👍

• Like 1

• ★ Administrators ★
20 minutes ago, Basil said:

whats the bet its to stop printing a jcard and save money, some bright spark at wb prob come up with the idea.

its a shame they just didn't do with a peelable see thru sticker then at least that way we would have the option.

if we didn't want it we could remove it.

and wb are known for wwa with sh1tty finishes to save money. called streaky matte.

what would be nice if for once if collectors could choose debossing, finshes etc.

think that be a world first xD 

i remember when i first started out a guy called zerox who was the steelbook purchaser at futureshop canada and he was a proper steelbook collector, he got to order what was on the steel and it really showed.

then best buy US bought them out he was promoted and taken out of that dept.

and the standards did drop then, dont know if anyone will remember that far back with me.

i know @DodgyDave prob will and @Masterblaster will it takes long memory for that right guys xD 

basil 👍

He didn’t stop them putting a blue banner across the top of IM though. Still remains one of the ugliest steelbooks ever produced. 

On a more serious note. 
This isn’t the first time Manta have put awful J cards and banners on their releases.
I wait with interest to see what HDz do. 

There is absolutely no doubt that the decision by FA to put a j card on Inception is a huge mistake. With a 750 print run and that J Card, they made it an “also ran”.
HDz did 500 and no J card. I know which one collectors will be searching out in future. 
There are at least 10 pages of FAC releases without any hint of a J Card. But now, like an awful puss filled sore, there is Inception. (See pic)

A95BF894-7F32-4867-8ED4-9E6B5C5DCE86.thumb.png.a5ffec9e1386069b04b2cd57aaca019b.png

I can tell you now, if HDz start doing it, then that’s another collection that will have gaps in it. I personally will not have that sh.t in my house. 
I don’t care if they start scribbling on the back of the steelbook, I never see them. BUT I sure as hell will not buy any box set or single edition with a j card under the wrap. 
So, stick a loose J card on it, if necessary. Manta have done this before. Or shove it up your arse is my message. 
Can I be any clearer ? 

• Haha 7

2 minutes ago, DodgyDave said:

He didn’t stop them putting a blue banner across the top of IM though. Still remains one of the ugliest steelbooks ever produced. 

On a more serious note. 
This isn’t the first time Manta have put awful J cards and banners on their releases.

There is absolutely no doubt that the decision by FA to put a j card on Inception is a huge mistake. With a 750 print run and that J Card, they made it an “also ran”.
HDz did 500 and no J card. I know which one collectors will be searching out in future. 
There are at least 10 pages of FAC releases without any hint of a J Card. But now, like an awful puss filled sore, there is Inception. (See pic)

A95BF894-7F32-4867-8ED4-9E6B5C5DCE86.thumb.png.a5ffec9e1386069b04b2cd57aaca019b.png

I can tell you now, if HDz start doing it, then that’s another collection that will have gaps in it. I personally will not have that sh.t in my house. 
I don’t care if they start scribbling on the back of the steelbook, I never see them. BUT I sure as hell will not buy any box set or single edition with a j card under the wrap. 
So, stick a loose J card on it, if necessary. Manta have done this before. Or shove it up your arse is my message. 
Can I be any clearer ? 

completely agree with it all dave, i personally prefer loose jcards and fook the trees. then people have an easy way to choose.

hopefully zeta wont go down that route of printed mess, it sure is a way to kill a line off, slowly strangling it to death.

these need to stay premium imho.

all they have to do is ask collectors.

oh yes and blue banners you got your point. xD 

basil 👍

6 minutes ago, DodgyDave said:

On a more serious note. 

Can I be any clearer ? 

DD, tell us what’s really on your mind friend LET IT GO 😂 

swing donkey GIF

• Haha 1