IGNORED

Manta Lab Joker (Manta Lab Exclusive #29) (WEA Blu-ray Steelbook) [Hong Kong]

PRIAPISM

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@DodgyDave I completely understand how you feel about consistency, I usually hate when collectors editions for certain media are varied within the same publisher/ distributor. Thanks for the reply! Seems I helped stir up a ruckus too 😅

But I agree with all of the points made on both sides. I tend to value uniqueness and quality above all else. Even though I'm new-ish to the "premium" home movie scene, so far I've leaned towards Manta's products just by observing the quality of their later works.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wanted to share this as soon as it arrived, but didn't find the time until now. Sorry for that. But now here we go, for your enjoyment and to reduce your waiting time, some in hand unboxing photos I took, just for you guys.

And let me also say a few words about my impressions:

• First of, and this will be a relief to many "originally sealed" collectors out there: The J-Card is just put around the edition in the resealable protective bag. Open it, take out the J-Card, close it and there you go. The shrink wrap (with the collection sticker) for the edition itself is underneath it. I don't know about you guys, but I usually don't use the bags anymore, but put them into these hard acrylic fully closed protection sleeves which looks much better than those bags. So this is a win. And definitely better than e.g. Filmarena, where the J-Card is underneath the wrapping.
  • 3D parallax effect on the lenticular is really great. Though writing is always a bit tricky and especially on the front you have an rather visible aliasing effect. I've seen better, but I've also seen much worse. All in all this is pretty decent
  • If you get the edition I got, your steelbook is simply missing a disc. I don't know why this is done, and why they didn't just include all disks in every edition, but it is what it is. Might feel a bit strange after opening it up, because it feels like something is missing, but I actually like it better this way, to be honest. I don't have 4K UHD setup yet, so I don't mind it missing too much. But given the possibility to get a cheap Amaray version of the disc someday, once I upgraded, and being able to just insert it to this release is something I find much more intriguing than having to swap discs or keep the other release in it's ugly Amaray packaging alongside. And if you own some BluFans - this is the same thing they always do (Filmarena on the other hand provides "stick on" disc mounts for UHD discs on steelbooks without enough mounts).
  • Steelbook is - for my taste - a bit boring. I would have liked a bit more. Make it matt, and then add spot gloss varnish for highlighting, or something. It is also a shame, as always, that Warner forces the credits onto the release; given that I've also seen different (e.g. no credits for a few premium releases, or credits on the inside of the steelbook) I somehow feel like MantaLab should be trying to reason with them to get these removed. At least have them on the inside.
  • Booklet has just photos, which I always think is a pitty (sorry for the bad quality of the photos, but holding the booklet open with one hand while taking pictures with the other is rather hard with these kind of booklets, especially if you don't want to overbend the sides).
  • Last but not least: Cards. I love them, they are of good quality as always. But I am a bit disappointed, that one of the main characters is missing entirely. And that is the mother of the Joker, played by the wonderful actress Frances Conroy. Her role was much more important to the plot than was Robert DeNiros character, she had much more screentime, and her performance was much more demanding. I feel she deserved a spot on one of these character cards. Either make one more, or replace DeNiro (at least they also included Zazie Beetz. Her role was much smaller as well, but she is also quite talented and didn't have that many acting jobs, yet. Love to see her in future movies).

But enough of my ramblings, and thoughts. All in all - even though it might sound over-critically - I am pretty happy with this relese, and the movie - in my opinion - is totally worth this premium treatment. Loved it! Now, please enjoy these pictures I took:

20200708_113424.jpg

20200708_150340.jpg

20200708_150347.jpg

20200708_150321.jpg

20200708_150324.jpg

20200711_204410.jpg

20200711_204437.jpg

20200708_150514.jpg

20200711_204508.jpg

20200708_150633.jpg

20200708_150704.jpg

20200711_204542.jpg

20200711_204551.jpg

20200708_150725.jpg

20200708_150731.jpg

20200711_204615.jpg

20200708_150813.jpg

20200711_204627.jpg

20200708_150832.jpg

20200711_204642.jpg

20200708_150842.jpg

20200711_204809.jpg

20200708_150937.jpg

20200711_204829.jpg

20200711_204833.jpg

20200711_204834.jpg

20200711_204836.jpg

20200711_204838.jpg

20200711_204839.jpg

20200711_204840.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

5 minutes ago, Garypool said:

Just received my first Mantalab One click of this!

Much love to Media Psychos, MantaLab, Gipsy Danger and all involved for this! A really stellar release.

Congratulations on your first MP purchase 🙂 Many more to come, I'm sure.

And yes, Gipsy's the best 👍 without him we'd be all lost 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

Congratulations on your first MP purchase 🙂 Many more to come, I'm sure.

And yes, Gipsy's the best 👍 without him we'd be all lost 😉

This is my eighth MP's purchase so far haha. Just my first Mantalab one click, I have a John Wick Novamedia and Umania Joker one click from here - I'm tending to just get the full slips as a collection form MantaLab, for DC at least, other releases are a combination of types. My HDZeta DC collection is all over the place. I was collecting these things a while back but doing it through Ebay and not knowing where or how to keep up to date with what was releasing and the types, so it meant my collection was quite off unfortunately. Managed to get Mantalab full slip BvS and Man of Steel on Ebay a couple weeks back, so now will have Joker, Man of Steel, BvS, Justice League and Aquaman all fullslips. I need to find a Wonder Woman full slip but they're expensive and hard to find :(

If I collected earlier I would have gotten the one clicks, as the fullslips don't always have the best designs. I managed to get the Dark Knight trilogy HDZeta as the double lenti's very kindly as my first ever purchase from Masterblaster when he created that huge sales thread, unfortunately DKR was a single lenti. I'm sure I'll sort the collection out down the years. But I'm very happy I found this place and very grateful for everyone who runs it.

Edited by Garypool
  • Like 5

Awards

On 7/18/2020 at 1:48 PM, R1s1ngs0n said:

Gipsy's the best 👍 without him we'd be all los

Gipsy's a awesome guy, just no fun at party's! 😏😉😜

@Intentcoin

Can't believe the bad luck there mate, I know theres a lot of other peoples Joker Steelbooks turning up that way too....🙁

Very disappointing - Manta Labs quality control is usually very good. Can only put it down to their new distributor 🙁

I honestly don't know whether to open my OC now to check, or leave sealed as ignorance is bliss.... 🤔

• Like 3

@Intentcoin that is disgusting that first copy should have never got thru like that, lets us all know how you get on. i would not except that like @Hollywood E Rock said first of all i thought was in plastic protector and scratches on that.

i just hope this isn't going to be like weet was one of there releases where they all got damaged on packing tables, but at least they put there mistakes right and fixed from then on.

be interesting to see how collectong handle this, manta always where known for good quality anything less was never acceptable in johns (manta) book.

all the best

basil 👍

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Garypool said:

I think it happens when you mostly shine direct light on them. Mine looks fine with no direct light source, just in natural lighting and then under a light it looks like it was machine fed through a conveyer.

Ya i mean if you shine direct light on pretty much any steelbook, you’ll see some scratches. I made the mistake of shining my phone’s flashlight on some steelbooks😐 do that, and you’ll see scratches on all of them😩

• Like 1

Just now, FlanInTheFace said:

Ya i mean if you shine direct light on pretty much any steelbook, you’ll see some scratches. I made the mistake of shining my phone’s flashlight on some steelbooks😐 do that, and you’ll see scratches on all of them😩

This is true. I went through a mindset of doing this early on in collecting, anally pouring over every cm of a steel with a close lightsource to see imperfections. Now I blissfully just give it a look in natural lighting and if I don't catch anything it's all good for me. Because more often than not there's imperfections on every steelbook, and my brain can't handle this.

In saying that, I couldn't edit my previous post and I looked at my I Saw the Devil and Crimson Peak steelbooks which share the exact same gloss black and they aren't nowhere near as bad, so I'm not sure what happened with these. But other than that, without a direct lightsource, unless there's extreme scratches the steel is gorgeous. I was just going through all my steelbooks I own and Mantalab really do have some of the best.

• Like 2

Awards