What did you watch last night???

Basil

night at the movies GIF by evite

Noirvember 2023 - 30 days of film noir

The Killers (Blu-ray)

The Killers (1946)   ️  ️ 

*1st time watch!

image.jpeg.f3971efb4faa12757762b12b71003dd5.jpeg

A film with multiple breakup episodes where we follow 2 killers looking for a man nicknamed the “Swede” (the wonderful Burt Lancaster) in a small town and in various flashbacks we find out the background of the “Swede” who was a former ex-boxer who befriends a very shady character named Colfax and becomes smitten with his much younger girlfriend Kitty (the beautiful Ava Gardner)… a lot of the story is told through an insurance investigator (Edmond O’Brien) and we find out what this caper is all about with….

• Like 2

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Veum said:

The Killers (Blu-ray)

The Killers (1946)   ️  ️ 

*1st time watch!

image.jpeg.f3971efb4faa12757762b12b71003dd5.jpeg

A film with multiple breakup episodes where we follow 2 killers looking for a man nicknamed the “Swede” (the wonderful Burt Lancaster) in a small town and in various flashbacks we find out the background of the “Swede” who was a former ex-boxer who befriends a very shady character named Colfax and becomes smitten with his much younger girlfriend Kitty (the beautiful Ava Gardner)… a lot of the story is told through an insurance investigator (Edmond O’Brien) and we find out what this caper is all about with….

I don’t know if you’ve got the Criterion for this, but it’s a worthy addition to any collection.  It has this version and the one from the 60s, which is also awesome.  Lee Marvin, Ronald Reagan as the villain backhanding Angie Dickinson.  2 great movies in one set.

• Like 2

Just now, Heywoodmoutaw said:

I don’t know if you’ve got the Criterion for this, but it’s a worthy addition to any collection.  It has this version and the one from the 60s, which is also awesome.  Lee Marvin, Ronald Reagan as the villain backhanding Angie Dickinson.  2 great movies in one set.

Yes I do, that is the edition I watched the 1946 version from and will have to watch the 60s one before too much longer! 😉

• Like 1

Sweet Smell of Success (Blu-ray)

Sweet Smell of Success (1957)   ️ 1/2

*1st time watch!

In a town (NYC) of dirty cops, powerful politicians, beautiful women on hand that are in and out of smoky nightclubs is a powerful newspaper columnist J.J. Hunsecker (Burt Lancaster) and a down and dirty press agent Sidney Falco (Tony Curtis) who will do anything to impress J.J. who has been assigned to break-up his beautiful sisters romance with a jazz musician… the ambience is fantastic but the one-liners and immoral tactics can only take me so far in this film. meh.gif

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3

• Like 2

Finally watched Transformers: Rise of the Beasts in 4K. Overall, it was pretty good.

Spoiler

What got me was Scourge. He was nigh-omnipotent in the beginning and then became less and less as the story progressed. But I did enjoy the bits of Unicron. Humans be damned, it's supposed to be about robots, sorry not sorry. Also, not having Bumblebee in most of the movie was downright sad. 

transformers-rise-of-the-beasts-movie-poster.jpg.6ace6fe1e28bd088cdc9b6e6c8f0b8b2.jpg

Edited by nathan_s82
  • Like 2

:)🤠🧋 🍿🎬 🙋🏻‍♂️ 

200.gif?cid=5bd0675enjod9p0n6ur796htzuey

Blue Beetle 4K (Blu-ray)

️  ️ 

*1st time watch!

image.jpeg.0b275c9d25192f931c864cdc55e00b95.jpeg

An enjoyable superheroes type of film when ancient relic of alien biotechnology: the Scarab suddenly chooses Jaime to be its symbiotic host and he becomes Super Hero Blue Beetle.

The Equalizer 3 4K (Blu-ray)

️  ️ 

*1st time watch!

image.jpeg.394536b3ce862decef36aafe10ceb721.jpeg

My cup of tea, as we see Robert McCall retiring as a government assassin and trying to find solace from the horrific things he’s done in the past and finds this in a quaint southern Italy town when once again he needs to find justice for these people of this town from…

• Like 4

On 11/28/2023 at 2:06 AM, Veum said:

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One 4K (Blu-ray)

️  

*1st time watch!

image.jpeg.2ed38974e0a48e1a09162f49422d5ad6.jpeg

A film with multiple action scenes as Ethan Hunt and his IMF team must find the dangerous new weapon at any cost even the cost of those lives that matter the most to Ethan to save the…

For me, the underrated film of the summer, and maybe of the year.

I hope you had a great time enjoying it ;) 

• Like 3

gXj1buDuQ7Iz2xl-8zuwMFpHPIdKeJxCPbvwnkGu

I saw it for the first time a couple of years ago, and I liked it. One of those movies that entertain you, but that also stay fluttering in your head, giving you the feeling that you should see it again and have a good time again.

The story is simple, and predictable; A father and son who own a family crematorium and funeral home perform autopsies for the police there. And they receive a very special corpse, of someone who we know from the beginning may not be completely dead.

Nothing you haven't seen before. However, the director, André Øvredal, shows that he has a certain talent for creating an environment, a specific atmosphere, and, above all, he knows how to maintain tension with very few elements while making the characters feel close to us, or their interesting work.

I think it is a film that deserved greater success. And a continuation or prequel.

It's a good example of "terror movie" in which there are scares, but the best thing is the tension that runs through the film from its first scene. That is the element that for me differentiates good films of this genre.

• Like 4

AcornTV

HINTERLAND

image.jpeg.39794e46602c1dad1026ee9d2f5bade2.jpeg 

image.jpeg.f7e645dd16e698a8942238804ccbe0ee.jpeg

The beautiful landscape draws me into joyful thoughts! :)

Hinterland - Seeking to heal after the attack on his home, DCI Mathias finds refuge in work, but when Mathias becomes a murder suspect, it drives a rift through the team.

S3 E1 - Aftermath   ️  ️ 

The killing of a local minister leads DCI Mathias and DS Rhys to a remote community in the mountains. DS Owens heads the investigation into the recent attack on Mathias.

*1st time watch!

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2