IGNORED

What did you watch last night???

Basil

We watched Halloween 3 and Halloween 1 in the nights leading up to Halloween.  3 just because I thought my son would like it more and he didn’t know anything about it; he knows all about Michael Myers.  

Fun fact:  I am from the town where John Carpenter grew up; Bowling Green, Kentucky.  All of the names of streets and nearby towns in Halloween 1 & 2 (except for the name of Haddonfield itself) are from the area.  So all these movies were especially scary to me when I saw them on tv in the early 80s as a kid.  At one point in Halloween 2 they mention a Michael Myers sighting on the street where I lived at the time (Bryant Way).  They also mention nearby towns like Russellville and Franklin.

Remember Michael escaping from Smiths Grove - Warren County Sanitarium?  Both Bowling Green and Smiths Grove are in Warren County, Kentucky.

IMG_9545.jpeg

IMG_9543.png

• Like 5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

We watched Halloween 3 and Halloween 1 in the nights leading up to Halloween.  3 just because I thought my son would like it more and he didn’t know anything about it; he knows all about Michael Myers.  

Fun fact:  I am from the town where John Carpenter grew up; Bowling Green, Kentucky.  All of the names of streets and nearby towns in Halloween 1 & 2 (except for the name of Haddonfield itself) are from the area.  So all these movies were especially scary to me when I saw them on tv in the early 80s as a kid.  At one point in Halloween 2 they mention a Michael Myers sighting on the street where I lived at the time (Bryant Way).  They also mention nearby towns like Russellville and Franklin.

Remember Michael escaping from Smiths Grove - Warren County Sanitarium?  Both Bowling Green and Smiths Grove are in Warren County, Kentucky.

IMG_9545.jpeg

IMG_9543.png

I remember this as well. I'm originally from Fountain Run, KY and went to School in Glasgow! 

• Like 2

did not mean to watch the whole movie. it was on and before I knew it I was at the end fight with the queen. I remember when going to see this in the theater it was a rather active crowd with applause ohhh's and ahhh's and plenty of laughter at the behavior of the lone predator at times. I know not the best installment in the franchise but still an ok flick to wind down the night on.

sxpra.jpg

• Like 5

night at the movies GIF by evite

150178_medium.jpg?t=1626367723

*High Sierra (1941)     ️ 

*1st time watch! 

Humphrey is magnificent as Roy Earle, since out of prison he has a job to be done…. He actually has 2 personalities to me a soft heart and a harden exterior! Ida is great as the dame that comes along and Pard the pooch goes along also!! 🎬

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LeadFarmer said:

did not mean to watch the whole movie. it was on and before I knew it I was at the end fight with the queen. I remember when going to see this in the theater it was a rather active crowd with applause ohhh's and ahhh's and plenty of laughter at the behavior of the lone predator at times. I know not the best installment in the franchise but still an ok flick to wind down the night on.

sxpra.jpg

I've only seen this once, but found it enjoyable enough -- certainly better than the drumming it took from critics and fans at the time. I do need to revisit this one of these days! The sequel though... 🤮

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MikeH5856 said:

I've only seen this once, but found it enjoyable enough -- certainly better than the drumming it took from critics and fans at the time. I do need to revisit this one of these days! The sequel though... 🤮

truth be told mike I don't think it was that bad either. I certainly think it and requiem were better than the predator that came out in 2018 which I can barely stand to watch if I'm honest. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LeadFarmer said:

truth be told mike I don't think it was that bad either. I certainly think it and requiem were better than the predator that came out in 2018 which I can barely stand to watch if I'm honest. 

About the only thing that puts The Predator ahead of Requiem for me is that the former at least has Olivia Munn and the occasional bit of lighting so you can see what's happening. I thought the cameramen forgot to take their lens caps off when shooting Requiem! 🤣 That said, I don't like either flick. lol I'll take AvP all day long over either.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MikeH5856 said:

About the only thing that puts The Predator ahead of Requiem for me is that the former at least has Olivia Munn and the occasional bit of lighting so you can see what's happening. I thought the cameramen forgot to take their lens caps off when shooting Requiem! 🤣 That said, I don't like either flick. lol I'll take AvP all day long over either.

yeah requiem is a dark film you definitely have to turn up the brightness a bit and olivia munn man I remember her from her attack of the show days when G4 was firing on all cylinders 

• Like 3

I'm going to break the trend.

Yesterday was bank holiday here, there were new releases on the billboard, and I took the opportunity to watch "Past Lives".

Vidas_pasadas-224757039-large.jpg

Independent film, produced by A24, which has had good reviews and good results in several countries. It's a good business card to make me go to the movies on a free day in the afternoon.

I had the advantage of going to see it without knowing anything about the story, and that was interesting. Not because it is a film of surprises, which it is not, but because I think that if you go to see a romantic/drama film, you tend to assimilate it to the usual canons, in a genre that usually has to novelties; and this time it would be a little unfair.

It's a film about the relationship established between a man and a woman from the time they are children until they become adults, through the different meetings that occur over the years. But it is neither sappy, nor does it try to describe the world they live in; nor does it try to dissect the why of reality as in an autopsy, it just reflects the relationship between them, how their decisions evolve, from the inside, from how they feel; and how doing or not doing something in a relationship can shape our lives.

How sometimes small bifurcations change everything, and, although we don't want to see it, it happens every day. And sometimes things are not black and white, like in the movies, but the trick is to know how to navigate in a world of grays, even looking in the mirror questioning your own feelings.

As it happens in the eyes of the characters.

The film is accessible, but not simple, more realistic than usual, but not dark; even so, is bright, positive; it's easy to be watched, but has more depth than some people might think because of a careful surface where a good photography work and a wonderful soundtrack show us a New York seen a thousand times as if it were the first time.

It is not a masterpiece, but it is a good first film by its director. 

I really enjoyed watching it

• Like 5

2 hours ago, nathan_s82 said:

Last night we started The Boys TV Show. I hadn't read the comics, but knew what it was about. Graphic is an understatement.

Agreed man. I never read the material either but was aware of its existence I ended up thoroughly enjoying the show. Finished season 3 a few weeks ago and can't wait for season 4. I think I'll watch the spinoff show that just came out too and see how that is.

• Like 2

Noirvember 2023 - 30 days of film noir

254781_medium.jpg?t=1570825516

Black Angel (1946) ️ 

*1st time watch! 

A slow moving whodunit with a hard-drinking husband being rejected, a blackmailing wife involved with several men, a wrongly convicted man who is accused of murder with his wife trying to help him out by finding the responsible killer. We are introduced to a club owner of a swanky nightclub who seems rather suspicious a lot of the time and there is the detective that does not find the right person until it is too…enjoyed the era sets, locations and clothing of this time (I always do), the acting was good enough but not what I was exactly hoping it to be. meh.gif

• Like 3

I, the Jury 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)

*I, The Jury (1953)    

*1st time watch! 

Hard-Broiled P.I.Mike Hammer is on the hunt for a killer of one of Mike’s war buddies as he visits the criminal underbelly for that killer. He really comes across a lot of pretty dames… the PQ is fantastic & loved it was centered around the Christmas season but the actor playing Hammer, well meh. ☹️ 

Killer's Kiss 4K (Blu-ray)

*Killer’s Kiss (1955) ️ 1/2

*1st time watch! 

A washed up prize fighter comes to the aid of a nightclub dancer in this seedy looking area, she happens to live across from him in one of these one room dives, she is being harangue by her older gangster boss and then all hell breaks loose… a really odd noir for me though, hmm. unimpressed.gif

image.jpeg.392612f665b585ef4df72656987929be.jpeg

Edited by Veum
  • Like 4

Holy_Spider_Araana_sagrada-305155082-lar

Holy Spider (Ali Abbasi, 2022)

I had been looking forward to seeing this movie for a long time. I had read very interesting reviews from people I trust, and I didn't have time to go to the cinema to see it.

It's a European film set in Iran, and directed by the director of "The Border", where a journalist (Zar Amir Ebrahimi, winner at Cannes for best actress for her work in this film) tries to solve the case of a mysterious killer who is killing prostitutes at night in the holy city of Mashhad. 

The most surprising thing about this film is that we know who the killer is from the beginning, we follow his steps, we see his family life, and between that and the difficulties that -as a woman- the protagonist finds on her way, an interesting and dynamic portrait of Iranian society is woven, of the importance of religion, of the different existing profiles when it comes to assume it, and of the imbalance between official life and the daily life of the people in the street, social and economic problems, drugs; until it manages to introduce us to the dark side of a holy city that could well have been many others in Iran or in almost any country.

Because it is not a film investigating only Iranian murders, it  could have happened in any other society; but, having happened there, in that specific society, full of complexities and contradictions, from a story based on real events, we see how the characters sometimes have to leave their comfort zone in the local society. How certain prejudices and certain social and cultural inertias break down. And how sometimes the line between right and wrong can come to be taken as subjective, even being all persons.

Zar Amir Ibrahimi's performance is impressive. She would have deserved an Oscar nomination. Her balance between being a strong woman in Iran, and, at the same time, the weakness of her position as a woman in Iran, are not only projected around her, but also in her eyes, within herself.

I liked it a lot, it is entertaining and well made.

Within 10 minutes of starting I had already decided to buy it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Casiusco said:

Holy_Spider_Araana_sagrada-305155082-lar

Holy Spider (Ali Abbasi, 2022)

I had been looking forward to seeing this movie for a long time. I had read very interesting reviews from people I trust, and I didn't have time to go to the cinema to see it.

It's a European film set in Iran, and directed by the director of "The Border", where a journalist (Zar Amir Ebrahimi, winner at Cannes for best actress for her work in this film) tries to solve the case of a mysterious killer who is killing prostitutes at night in the holy city of Mashhad. 

The most surprising thing about this film is that we know who the killer is from the beginning, we follow his steps, we see his family life, and between that and the difficulties that -as a woman- the protagonist finds on her way, an interesting and dynamic portrait of Iranian society is woven, of the importance of religion, of the different existing profiles when it comes to assume it, and of the imbalance between official life and the daily life of the people in the street, social and economic problems, drugs; until it manages to introduce us to the dark side of a holy city that could well have been many others in Iran or in almost any country.

Because it is not a film investigating only Iranian murders, it  could have happened in any other society; but, having happened there, in that specific society, full of complexities and contradictions, from a story based on real events, we see how the characters sometimes have to leave their comfort zone in the local society. How certain prejudices and certain social and cultural inertias break down. And how sometimes the line between right and wrong can come to be taken as subjective, even being all persons.

Zar Amir Ibrahimi's performance is impressive. She would have deserved an Oscar nomination. Her balance between being a strong woman in Iran, and, at the same time, the weakness of her position as a woman in Iran, are not only projected around her, but also in her eyes, within herself.

I liked it a lot, it is entertaining and well made.

Within 10 minutes of starting I had already decided to buy it.

@Casiusco we have several films here in the USA 🇺🇸 that covers this subject. 🙌

I’m glad you enjoyed it but probably not my ‘cup of tea’! 🫤 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Veum said:

I, the Jury 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)

*I, The Jury (1953)    

*1st time watch! 

Hard-Broiled P.I.Mike Hammer is on the hunt for a killer of one of Mike’s war buddies as he visits the criminal underbelly for that killer. He really comes across a lot of pretty dames… the PQ is fantastic & loved it was centered around the Christmas season but the actor playing Hammer, well meh. ☹️ 

Killer's Kiss 4K (Blu-ray)

*Killer’s Kiss (1955) ️ 1/2

*1st time watch! 

A washed up prize fighter comes to the aid of a nightclub dancer in this seedy looking area, she happens to live across from him in one of these one room dives, she is being harangue by her older gangster boss and then all hell breaks loose… a really odd noir for me though, hmm. unimpressed.gif

image.jpeg.392612f665b585ef4df72656987929be.jpeg

Have you seen Kiss Me Deadly?  It’s another Mike Hammer movie, which I love, wondering how it compares with I, The Jury.  I probably need to check it out.

• Like 3

Noirvember 2023 - 30 days of film noir

21865_medium.jpg?t=1540423607

The Killing (1956)     ️ 

*1st time watch!

A heist on a racetrack from some lowly crooks is the plan and what a plan it was but this is what finally happened….

Very enjoyable film with exquisite shots from the master Kubrick, highly recommend! :) 🎬

• Like 3