IGNORED

What did you watch last night???

Basil

EDED3193-EC3A-45ED-BF27-3C75E9361663.thumb.jpeg.841e0153deffd922aaedd0131adf18b2.jpeg

🥤📺🎬💽 :) 🍿🧋dead2.gif 👻 🎃 watched 

image.gif.ff8658edd74eed04c5e02f88cb09ab5a.gif 

Mon Oct 16…

*Mad Love (1935) dead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gif

Doctor Gogol (Peter Lorre) is madly in love with stage performer Yvonne Orlac (Frances Drake) but she is in love and married to famed pianist Stephen Orlac (Colin Clive)… tragedy happens to her husband’s hand in a train wreck and then Doctor Gogol performs a miracle in surgery for him but is it what it seems…. A fantastical mild horror drama that is played magnificently by these great actors, the blu is fantastic!

image.jpeg.11f04998523475c818f52a286c96e05b.jpeg

• Like 3

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

c314512de3748368a389f6f938dc338f367c4eae

It is an entertaining film, but I think it could be better than it is.

The problem is an imbalance between the predictable and the original, because the director mixes so many different things: from a bucolic vision of South Asia, to fighting in a very eighties industrial environment, a romantic story, personal drama, and the exuberance of new weapons; fight scenes, and a surprising soundtrack that mixes so many different types of songs that at times it feels like Sofia Coppola's choice of songs.

Not that this is a bad thing, but mixing it all together on a film means that it takes a little extra talent to achieve balance, and while individually I had a good time at many points, and many of these features are appropriate, I think overall it lacked a bit of what the experts call "narrative pulse".

There were moments when it was a mixture of many things, but the narrative in between was diluted.

A more nuanced narrative rhythm, not a visual one, and a little more depth in some of the characters, would have been a good thing. In my opinion, of course.

Still, I had a good time.

• Like 5

EDED3193-EC3A-45ED-BF27-3C75E9361663.thumb.jpeg.841e0153deffd922aaedd0131adf18b2.jpeg

Wed Oct 18…

+ Hannibal Rising (2007) dead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gif

The beginning of Hannibal’s life after his parents are killed in WWII and his sister is killed horribly from Barbarians that entered their home, however Hannibal escaped to find his way and finally settled with his beautiful aunt. He studies to be a doctor and kills many…

image.jpeg.9d736606741ba9937690e962097928fb.jpeg

• Like 4

Thu Oct 19…

+The House By The Cemetery (1981)  dead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gif

Some of the outdoor shots were good but the storyline and the acting was just to wooden for me. Also the gore scenes not to my liking and would of liked a more subtle, scary ‘Ol fashioned type of film, oh well just not really my ‘cup of tea’ I guess…

evil.gif

image.jpeg.8bf0633d88eccf6da124fcb4103db53c.jpeg

Edited by Veum
  • Like 4

Saw Killers of the Flower Moon last night.  

The story is told almost entirely from the perspective of Leo’s character, which had advantages and, in the end, disadvantages.

It was a solid tale of the Osage community and a not terribly bright guy falling further and further into criminality.  At about 2 hours, they’ve done a decent job creating an atmosphere of paranoia as the walls close in on Mollie and Leo.

Then the Feds show up, and it weirdly just kind of peters out.  Most of the investigative activity takes place off screen and is related secondhand to Leo.  Even as Mollie comes to her senses, she doesn’t seem as bright as at the beginning of the movie and basically fails to speak at all.  It’s frustrating.

Having said all that, I was never bored and was even riveted for most of the movie.  Which is an achievement for a movie this long.  I’m sure I’ll watch it again when it hits Apple, but mostly it made me want to read the book again, to fill in details that a 4 hour movie managed to skip over.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sun Oct 22…

🎃 👻 31 Days of Halloween Movies (2023) - Horror Fans Unite!!!!!!

10/22 Blood From The Mummy’s Tomb (1971) image.gifimage.gifimage.gifimage.png

Some good production sets and of course beautiful Valerie lovesight.gif however storyline could have been much better for me.

evil.gif

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

🎃 👻 31 Days of Halloween Movies (2023) - Horror Fans Unite!!!!!!

Mon Oct 23…

+Son Of Frankenstein (1939) dead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gifdead2.gif

Exceptional classic horror film for me. Basil Rathbone, Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff and Lionel Atwill as well as the supporting cast are superb. Fantastic storyline with fascinating production sets. The Monster is menacing as well as the hypnotic flute playing from Ygor.

evil.gif

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

So I watched Memento for the first time in 15 years or so.  

SPOILERS!!

I had forgotten how he himself pretty much sets up Teddy, for pointing out reality (I remembered everyone manipulating him, somehow forgot about how he finally manipulated himself.  

SPOILERS OVER!!

Anyway, I’m the weirdo who still thinks The Prestige is Nolan’s best movie, just because I could watch it over and over.  But I think this one is in my top 3, along with Dark Knight.

Have picked up some more Moonlighting (I love that it’s finally streaming, on Hulu, was my favorite show as a kid), and now I’m going to try to go to sleep to Hellraiser.  Wish me luck!

• Like 3

On 10/24/2023 at 7:22 AM, LeadFarmer said:

Having grown up watching G1 transformers and Beast Wars (still hits me in the feels with how dinobot went out) I was not expecting to be blown away but it was ok.

sxpra.jpg

I'm a huge G1 Transformers fan, I still collect them today. But these movies are always a stretch of the TF Imagination. I still haven't seen this one yet, lol.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nathan_s82 said:

I'm a huge G1 Transformers fan, I still collect them today. But these movies are always a stretch of the TF Imagination. I still haven't seen this one yet, lol.

The G1 transformers were solid. I liked their look over the look of the prior films with the exception of bumble bee. the maximals were decent but lacking the weapons they had in the beast wars series. like optimus primal in the series had flight capabilities by use of his own internal jet pack not to mention he had shoulder and wrist cannons and swords. Rhinox had dual Gatling pistols and then no Rattrap he was completely left out but I guess having a giant rat running around on screen would have been a stretch.

• Like 2