IGNORED

What did you watch last night???

Basil

Night Sky (Series) - TV Tropes

I was very curious to see this series: it has very good reviews, and starring JK Simmons and Sissy Spacek it looked interesting; but, in spite of that, it was cancelled shortly after the premiere of its first season.

The series begins with two elderly people who have a secret gateway to another planet in a basement shed on their shed. And they've been going to that planet like that for over 20 years to sit and look at the scenery.

They are already old, and they have health problems: many times she can't walk, and she is sick, we sense a serious health problem, she sees her end near; while he has back problems, and begins to forget things. It is he who takes care of her on a daily basis, but in one of the first conversations she tells him that she sees that he will not be able to do it much longer. 

That is one side of the coin, the reality of two elderly people, towards which we all walk, and that generally many people do not like to see. A sometimes sad reality, difficult to face, where their granddaughter tells them that they can no longer live alone. In addition, there is a latent sadness in the house because of the suicide of his son many years before.

In other words, what many would call “poison for the box office”. Unfortunately, because then there are films like “Vortex” that are great films even soaking in that reality and its consequences.

The other side of the coin is a TV thriller plot around that gateway to another planet, and to other gates; with a parallel plot in Argentina (Juan José Campanella, Oscar winner, directs the first episodes), in a sort of light mix of Stargate and Person of Interest. New characters appear, and we discover what is around these gateways. 

In the balance -or imbalance- between these two sides of the coin lies the good and the bad of this series. It starts out more focused on the reality of the two main characters, and ends up more focused on the thriller plot. 

Still, it has a calm style and pace, a kind aesthetic, even the part focused on the old age of these two people is done in a pleasant, not cruel, way, an endearing perspective; and does not pretend to be an action series, where its moments of tension do not have much movement.

It's a puty there's no second season.

I had a good time, and without being a perfect series, I enjoyed watching it. And the way the second season ended it would have been very interesting.

I understand why some people didn't like it, but in general terms I think they were a little unfair with it.

• Like 6

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I’m trying to work through my recent 4K acquisitions, most of which I haven’t seen in 15-20 years at least (typing that made me feel old).  Only been 10 years on this one, saw it in the theater:

IMG_2002.thumb.jpeg.099d0e141ef30653e6ba829a655b2b2c.jpeg

I know he has an Oscar, but Eastwood still doesn’t get enough credit as a director.  Perfectly edited, this thing is like a Swiss watch.  Just the right mix of home life and tours of duty.  Eastwood famously cleaned up Kyle’s life a bit, but I don’t think you can say the movie glorifies war.  Just compelling all the way through.  Seemingly nothing fancy from a director, but it’s perfectly executed.

Oh, the picture and especially, especially the sound are excellent. Great use of surround.  Really enjoyed the re-watch.

• Like 6

graphics text GIF

🥤📺🎬💽 :) 🍿🧋watched 

image.gif.ff8658edd74eed04c5e02f88cb09ab5a.gif 

Thu May 23 ‘24 

*Obi-Wan Kenobi (2022)  🧙🧙🧙🧙🧙

Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi watches over young Luke Skywalker and evades the Empire's elite Jedi hunters during his exile on the desert planet Tatooine.

Enjoyed the fight between Vader and Kenobi, should continue with more I think!

Spoiler

Fri  May 24 ‘24 

*M3GAN (2022) 👽👽👽1/2

A robotics engineer at a toy company builds a lifelike doll that begins to take on a life of its own.

A lifelike doll that creeps me out! 😱

• Like 5

graphics text GIF

🥤📺🎬💽 :) 🍿🧋watched 

Sat May 25 ‘24 

*Frontera (2014)     ️ 

image.jpeg.24fa41d0fcc07d546fda63e1e1580899.jpeg

After crossing the U.S. border illegally for work, Miguel, a hard-working father, is wrongfully accused of murder. Miguel’s pregnant wife tries to come to his aid and lands in the hands of corrupt "coyotes" who demand a ransom. When a former sheriff investigates the charges against Miguel, he uncovers disturbing evidence.

A very exciting border crossing drama with Ed Harris and Michael Peña doing a great acting job, plus enjoyed the desert scenes!

*Fronteras (2018)  ️ 1/2

A Border Patrol agent has his morals challenged when a task force arrives to contain a life-threatening narcotic that sweeps through the southwest.

image.jpeg.bb19cc840339acce9736b2118f1bdbc4.jpeg

Not really upto par on the acting, could have been a better movie if done better.

• Like 5

🥤📺🎬💽 :) 🍿🧋🤠 👽 watched 

Mon May 27 ‘24 

*Outer Range (2022) S1 E1 Neo-Western Sci-fi 🤠🤠 🤠 🤠 🤠 👽👽👽👽👽

image.jpeg.dfed0b73e2329feabf31b14b8483e35b.jpeg

A rancher fighting for his land and family discovers an unfathomable mystery at the edge of Wyoming’s wilderness.

Royal Abbott finds a mystery on his ranch, leading to catastrophic events.

An interesting Neo-Western Sci-fi with Josh Brolin at the helm of his family that sees a strange… 🤠 👽

*Outer Range (2022) S1 E2 Neo-Western Sci-fi 🤠🤠 🤠 🤠 🤠 👽👽👽👽👽

The Land. Episode 2 of Outer Range begins with Autumn standing over the hole. After pushing Royal in, she grabs his severed shirt from the fence and hurries off. The Tillerson brothers, as it turns out, head over to Royal's house but they're told to leave when Cecilia answers the door. So where is Royal?

*Outer Range (2022) S1 E3 Neo-Western Sci-fi 🤠🤠 🤠 🤠 🤠 👽👽👽👽👽

Sheriff Joy stopping a robber in a corner shop. After cracking his arm and hauling the guy in the back of her car, he begins ranting about the real problems in town.

Edited by Veum
  • Like 4

Tue May 28 ‘24 

*Outer Range (2022) S1 E4 Neo-Western Sci-fi 🤠🤠 🤠 🤠 🤠 👽👽👽👽👽

Outer Range begins nine months ago with Wayne receiving a chunk of rock from out west on the Abbott Ranch. After ordering the worker to leave it on the desk, the strange rock seems to have the same black inky markings inside that move around just like what we saw with Autumn’s necklace. So naturally, Wayne picks it up and starts dancing about with it. 

• Like 2

Ok so we decided to go see Furiosa!  I bought tickets online at star cinema grill for the premium lounge chairs.  While driving there it hailed for 20 straight minutes causing us to have to drive so slow we missed the beginning and were soaking wet when we got inside.  Then an hour into the movie the power went out😭😭😭

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, jwhitm3 said:

Ok so we decided to go see Furiosa!  I bought tickets online at star cinema grill for the premium lounge chairs.  While driving there it hailed for 20 straight minutes causing us to have to drive so slow we missed the beginning and were soaking wet when we got inside.  Then an hour into the movie the power went out😭😭😭

Oh that sucks.  Did it ever come back on so they could finish the movie?

• Like 3

Fri May 31 ‘24 

*Outer Range (2022) S1 E5 Neo-Western Sci-fi 🤠🤠 🤠 🤠 🤠 👽👽👽👽👽

Wayne skips away from the hole, laughing maniacally. Royal is left knocked out on the ground. "I found it!". Wayne says as he bursts back into the house and sees the boys. However, he soon collapses n the ground, that same bloody rock…

*Outer Range (2022) S1 E6 Neo-Western Sci-fi 🤠🤠 🤠 🤠 🤠 👽👽👽👽👽

Outer Range begins with Royal out driving to the hole. Autumn is there waiting for him; she wants her necklace back. Royal agrees to take her back to the farm… but in reality he actually drives far away from her tent. Autumn starts to lose her nerve and demands he stop. When…

• Like 2

Sat Jun 1 ‘24 

*Stars In My Crown (1950) 🤠🤠 🤠 🤠 🤠

In 1865, the small Southern town of Walsburg has become so dangerous that Parson Josiah Doziah Gray gives his sermons while holding a gun.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%2 

*The Bastard Sons (2023) ️ 1/2

A misfit crew of small-town gangsters enact brutal vengeance after an inside job ends in the murder of the head of their crime family. 

Edited by Veum
  • Like 3

Sun Jun 2 ‘24 

*Cattle Drive (1951) 🤠 🤠 🤠 🤠 🤠 

Dean Stockwell is Chester Graham Jr., the spoiled son of a railroad tycoon who gets left behind when the train stops for water. He interrupts cowboy Dan Mathews (Joel McCrea) as he tries to capture a black stallion and insists on…

image.jpeg.0cc80fc35f2d510714101f0dbc29aeab.jpeg

*Gunpoint (1966)  🤠 🤠 🤠 🤠 🤠 

A Colorado sheriff pursues a ruthless gang of train robbers into New Mexico, where he has no official jurisdiction. Accompanying him is a motley…

image.jpeg.64615c620e1bd8bfe15f96029e3f1666.jpeg

Edited by Veum
  • Like 5