What did you watch last night???

Basil

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, hansreinhardt said:

It’s just so much fun, isn’t it? It’s well shot, well acted, well scored… and those aerial scenes are first class. 

Love the sailing scene in the middle too. “I don’t sail on boats, Penny! I land on them.” 

It his every button you have as a filmgoer.  Obviously, but almost never obviously enough to be insulting.  It threads a hell of a needle that way.   And if you have any nostalgia at all for the original then that just triples the effect.

The playing on the beach scene (not just playing with the boys this time) is the only thing that made me say “we don’t have to hit every beat do we?” 

By the way: someone with the judgment of Cruise or Pitt needs to help Glen Powell choose roles and generally steer his career.  That guy has all the tools of a movie star, just needs better movies (though I’ll stand up for Everybody Wants Some as a movie star performance in a good movie).

I’m going to end up watching Maverick again this weekend.

• Like 4

:) 🤠 📺 Just finished watching from our DVR the football playoff with my Lions against my Rams, I was definitely rooting for my Lions, what a great game to watch❣️

Congrats to my LIONS in a hard fought victory 24-23!! 🏈 

Lions beat the Rams for the franchise's first playoff win since 1991! 😳 

image.jpeg.c2f8bb507b2c45696a488cae8f3ad278.jpeg

Edited by Veum
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Veum said:

:) 🤠 📺 Just finished watching from our DVR the football playoff with my Lions against my Rams, I was definitely rooting for my Lions, what a great game to watch❣️

Congrats to my LIONS in a hard fought victory 24-23!! 🏈 

Lions beat the Rams for the franchise's first playoff win since 1991! 😳 

image.jpeg.c2f8bb507b2c45696a488cae8f3ad278.jpeg

I’ve always been a Rams fan and was still halfway rooting for the Lions.  Hope they win the Super Bowl.

• Like 3

IMG_0679.thumb.jpeg.86e458505569fa9f2183958d2bee8fb7.jpeg

Such a good movie. A heartwarming, simply positive experience with comedy sprinkled throughout. Falling in love with these characters was effortless. Lots of great music here too. I went in with no expectations and came out thinking this was the best thing I’d seen so far in 2024. 

Edited by hansreinhardt
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Veum said:

Have not seen it but want to add these eventually to my Chucky collection! 🙌

337413_medium.jpg
337412_medium.jpg
337409_medium.jpg
337408_medium.jpg

I badly need Bride and Cult. Not the biggest fan of Seed, but I'll add it to the collection anyway.

You're in for a treat when you watch it!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, hansreinhardt said:

IMG_0679.thumb.jpeg.86e458505569fa9f2183958d2bee8fb7.jpeg

Such a good movie. A heartwarming, simply positive experience with comedy sprinkled throughout. Falling in love with these characters was effortless. Lots of great music here too. I went in with no expectations and came out thinking this was the best thing I’d seen so far in 2024. 

Building off this—here’s everything I watched this past weekend while stuck inside due to below zero temperatures:

01/12 - The Straight Story - ★★★★

01/12 - Maestro - ★★★★

01/12 - Wild At Heart - ★★★★

01/13 - The Elephant Man - ★★★★★

01/14 - Blue Velvet - ★★★★

01/14 - La La Land - ★★★

01/14 - Blood Simple - ★★★★

01/14 - Flora and Son - ★★★★★

@Heywoodmoutaw re: Blood Simple—I really enjoyed it! Coens really nailed their first picture, didn’t they? The scene in the farmland at nighttime (keeping it spoiler-free) had me so stressed out, people just kept making bad decision after bad decision and it was just crazy to watch. 

Edited by hansreinhardt
added ratings
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, hansreinhardt said:

Building off this—here’s everything I watched this past weekend while stuck inside due to below zero temperatures:

01/12 - The Straight Story

01/12 - Maestro

01/12 - Wild At Heart

01/13 - The Elephant Man

01/14 - Blue Velvet

01/14 - La La Land

01/14 - Blood Simple

01/14 - Flora and Son

@Heywoodmoutaw re: Blood Simple—I really enjoyed it! Coens really nailed their first picture, didn’t they? The scene in the farmland at nighttime (keeping it spoiler-free) had me so stressed out, people just kept making bad decision after bad decision and it was just crazy to watch. 

Yeah, it’s a true, cynical noir.  No one to really root for, just a series of bad (and also not terribly bright) people making, like you said, bad decisions.  Not everyone’s cup of tea but when done right, I love it.  This one actually makes Fargo look optimistic!

• Like 3

Oh, I did watch Maverick again this weekend, so much fun.  Cruise makes acting choices that no one should get away with and lands every one of them.

Finally got around to watching my 4K EXistenZ.  Solid transfer but not spectacular.  But man what a prescient movie.  Cronenberg sort of predicted a lot of things that were going to happen in the subsequent 10-20 years and it was a lot of food for thought.

I worked all weekend, wanted to watch more.  Was looking at that beautiful MAG BR 2049 set and ended up watching that for what must be the 5th or 6th time.  Still a masterpiece!  Great detective story with a lot on its mind.  It’s odd but I don’t expect people to fall in love with it until the 2nd watch.  

There are a lot of movies that I feel this way about.  On the 2nd watch you’re not as consumed with the plot and how everything will turn out and it allows you to take note of all the other things that the film is doing.  I always love a Coen brothers movie more the 2nd time that I watch it; they typically have such convoluted plots.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

Oh, I did watch Maverick again this weekend, so much fun.  Cruise makes acting choices that no one should get away with and lands every one of them.

Finally got around to watching my 4K EXistenZ.  Solid transfer but not spectacular.  But man what a prescient movie.  Cronenberg sort of predicted a lot of things that were going to happen in the subsequent 10-20 years and it was a lot of food for thought.

I worked all weekend, wanted to watch more.  Was looking at that beautiful MAG BR 2049 set and ended up watching that for what must be the 5th or 6th time.  Still a masterpiece!  Great detective story with a lot on its mind.  It’s odd but I don’t expect people to fall in love with it until the 2nd watch.  

There are a lot of movies that I feel this way about.  On the 2nd watch you’re not as consumed with the plot and how everything will turn out and it allows you to take note of all the other things that the film is doing.  I always love a Coen brothers movie more the 2nd time that I watch it; they typically have such convoluted plots.

Well here's something interesting I found out over weekend top gun 3 is in works. Same writers as top gun 2

Personally wonder what they come up with and think is it too much?

Also another thing I found out is stranger things season 5 being worked on with a 2025 release hopefully, now that I'm looking forward to 👍👍👍

Basil 👍

• Like 5

17 hours ago, hansreinhardt said:

Yeah I agree. Seems like one too many to me… I can’t imagine it catching fire in the same way Maverick did. But I’d give it a shot. 

I felt that way too when they announced it but I saw a comment that kind of put me at ease saying tom cruise will not let them put out an inferior product at least he will certainly try especially with the power and control the studio gives him. I was like ok then let's see what they do.

• Like 4

🥤 🍿 🎬 📀

National Popcorn Day GIF by Angry Birds

Miami Vice (Blu-ray)

The landscape photography was beautiful, but I was really hoping M V would have had that same atmosphere as the TV series, it just did not resonate with me as much as I wanted it to… too much wooden acting and not enough realism did not show through for me (even needed the subtitles eventually 🤔).😒 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Veum said:

🥤 🍿 🎬 📀

Miami Vice (Blu-ray)

The landscape photography was beautiful, but I was really hoping M V would have had that same atmosphere as the TV series, it just did not resonate with me as much as I wanted it to… too much wooden acting and not enough realism did not show through for me (even needed the subtitles eventually 🤔).😒 

Didn’t really establish the strong connection between Crockett and Tubbs, and the last half of the movie needs you to feel that.  If that connection had been there, I think the movie overall would’ve worked.  But yeah, it feels kind of empty.

• Like 3

🥤 🍿 🎬 📀

Some snowy cold looking films 🥶 ❄️ 

Fargo 4K (Blu-ray)

️ 

The 4k video for this is excellent… a crime story based of a true incident that shows the bizarre, comical bozo criminals at their worst.

Deadfall (Blu-ray)

️ 

Showing some great snowy scenes along the crimes of a deranged brother… disappointed me despite having some good cast members  and the storyline should have been a lot better! 😒

Edited by Veum
  • Like 5

BonyZ4taymxrfBiRqY6K42NBh0jsop_large.thumb.jpg.c57b111cc6c085db9228b7d7c4e6eae2.jpg

Gave 1984 a spin last night. Was a little down in the dumps yesterday so this was honestly a poor choice of film to watch 😆 But, a great movie nonetheless. John Hurt turned in a wonderful performance, which surprisingly evoked hints of John Merrick at times (albeit sans the Elephant Man makeup).

Loved Deakins' visual aesthetic in this, and the set design was wonderfully bleak. I wonder where they filmed the exteriors, the location is absolutely war-torn.

Does anyone have a score preference for this film? I wonder which is the better experience. I watched it with the Eurythmics score, which is what the Criterion BD defaulted to. Reading into it, I got the sense that director Michael Radford preferred the Dominic Muldowney score, so I'd like to watch it again to hear the difference. 

UPDATE: Forgot to mention, I finally know now what the inspiration was behind that episode of TNG where Picard is tortured by the Cardassians and made to believe there are five lights instead of four. 

four lights GIF

Edited by hansreinhardt
  • Like 6