IGNORED

What did you watch last night???

Basil

1 hour ago, Cheddar Goblin said:

Barbie was a solid flick. You should go see it if you have the chance 👗

I'm honestly looking forward to this, it looks so outrageous in the best way. Glad you enjoyed it. Greta Gerwig & Noah Baumbach are probably the perfect duo to write the film.

Wanted to do the coveted Oppenheimer/Barbie double feature but couldn't convince my better half to spend that amount of time in a movie theater. So... Oppenheimer this Sunday, Barbie the following weekend! 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_9774.thumb.JPG.d0ada19b5b2d7d8e1a47c7f66ca8590a.JPG

Still haven't been able to go and see Dial of Destiny, so last night I rewatched Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Didn't care for this movie when I first saw it. Not the case this time, I really enjoyed it for the most part! A few thoughts that no one asked for: 

• Harrison Ford and Karen Allen slipped back into their roles gracefully
  • Beautiful steelbook, and 4K disc looks and sounds incredible
  • Aliens worked this time, unlike initial viewing
  • Jungle scene & giant ants scene are awful, and really bring the whole movie down a peg
  • Mutt isn't necessarily a bad character, just miscast
  • Janusz Kaminski's cinematography only occasionally succeeds in emulating Douglas Slocombe's style
  • CGI is blatantly CGI

• Like 3

On 7/21/2023 at 1:34 PM, hansreinhardt said:

I'm honestly looking forward to this, it looks so outrageous in the best way. Glad you enjoyed it. Greta Gerwig & Noah Baumbach are probably the perfect duo to write the film.

Wanted to do the coveted Oppenheimer/Barbie double feature but couldn't convince my better half to spend that amount of time in a movie theater. So... Oppenheimer this Sunday, Barbie the following weekend! 

giphy.gif

5 Hours in a theater is a pretty long time. Saw Oppenheimer as well and I think it's the overall better film. Barbie was definitely a lot of fun though. Especially if you see it in a packed theater.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

MV5BMTQ2MzE2NTk0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTM3

Yesterday I decided to start re-watching this saga - yes, it is now a saga - before the release of the 3rd movie. 

Some years later it's still as entertaining as the first day: dynamic film, Denzel Washington shining as always, a pace that makes the film never stop but never saturates by going too fast; it manages to keep the tension even without speeding up, no attempt has been made to "inoculate" unnecessary side stories, and the final spectacle is fun.

The downside is that it's all very stiff, very clichéd, in a repetitive story where the good guy is very good, the bad guy is very bad, the supporting characters are just stereotypes, and, as much fun as I have with the main character, sometimes more than a strong and intelligent ex-secret agent he seems to be a kind of Superman doing magic by accomplishing impossible things. 

I'm not one of those who look for verisimilitude in this type of film, I sit on the sofa to enjoy myself, and in this case I'm looking to be entertained, I don't want to see my protagonist suffer; if I want certain things I go to other films; but, at the same time, this is something that has to be measured very well or it drives you out of the film. 

It's recommendable entertainment, what we call here a "popcorn movie". And it doesn't pretend and shouldn't try to be anything else. 

I had a very good time, in fact time runs fast; and when I can I'll see the second one. I remember that when I saw it for the first time I liked it more than the first one, but I don't remember

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Casiusco said:

MV5BMTQ2MzE2NTk0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTM3

Yesterday I decided to start re-watching this saga - yes, it is now a saga - before the release of the 3rd movie. 

Some years later it's still as entertaining as the first day: dynamic film, Denzel Washington shining as always, a pace that makes the film never stop but never saturates by going too fast; it manages to keep the tension even without speeding up, no attempt has been made to "inoculate" unnecessary side stories, and the final spectacle is fun.

The downside is that it's all very stiff, very clichéd, in a repetitive story where the good guy is very good, the bad guy is very bad, the supporting characters are just stereotypes, and, as much fun as I have with the main character, sometimes more than a strong and intelligent ex-secret agent he seems to be a kind of Superman doing magic by accomplishing impossible things. 

I'm not one of those who look for verisimilitude in this type of film, I sit on the sofa to enjoy myself, and in this case I'm looking to be entertained, I don't want to see my protagonist suffer; if I want certain things I go to other films; but, at the same time, this is something that has to be measured very well or it drives you out of the film. 

It's recommendable entertainment, what we call here a "popcorn movie". And it doesn't pretend and shouldn't try to be anything else. 

I had a very good time, in fact time runs fast; and when I can I'll see the second one. I remember that when I saw it for the first time I liked it more than the first one, but I don't remember

Sounds like a perfect “popcorn” double-header for you (or me 😆) my friend as I always enjoy these 2 sagas and very much looking to get the 3rd one and hoping for a great steel for it! :)

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

NOW SHOWING movie theatre sign home theater decor

🥤📺🎬💽 :) 🍿🧋dead2.gif 👻 🎃 watched 

image.gif.ff8658edd74eed04c5e02f88cb09ab5a.gif 

Sat Sep 2…

+The Mummy (1959) dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif 

image.jpeg.8bd09ce59faba387b564ca92e73c5f4d.jpeg

In the 1890s a team of British archaeologists discover the untouched tomb of Princess Ananka but accidentally bring the mummified body of her High Priest back to life. Three years later back in England a follower of the same Egyptian religion unleashes the mummy to exact grisly revenge on the despoilers of the sacred past.

+Taste the Blood of Dracula (1970) 🧛‍♂️ 🩸 dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif 

image.jpeg.d172d2ccaabf6c152fc61aba9486e225.jpeg

Three respectable gentlemen searching for excitement help one of Count Dracula's servants resurrect the vampire.

Edited by Veum
  • Like 3

🥤📺🎬💽 :) 🍿🧋dead2.gif 👻 🎃 watched 

Sun Sep 3…

+The Plague of the Zombies (1966) dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif 

image.jpeg.fff1f5f27c7b0685dc7eff023e34e5b4.jpeg

In a remote 19th-century Cornish village, an evil presence lurks within the darkness of the witching hour. A mysterious plague relentlessly consumes lives at an unstoppable rate. Unable to find the cause, Dr. Peter Tompson enlists the help of his mentor, Sir James Forbes. Desperate to find an antidote, they instead find inexplicable horror: empty coffins with the diseased corpses missing! Following a series of strange and frightening clues, they discover a deserted mine where they discover a world of black magic and a doomed legion of flesh-eating slaves ... the walking dead!

+Dr. Jeckyll and Sister Hyde (1971) dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif 

In Victorian London, Dr. Jekyll experiments to discover an elixir of life. After mixing up the hormones he has taken from dead bodies, Jekyll is transformed into a beautiful but murderous female.

• Like 3

Mon Sep 4…

+Insidious (2010) dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif 

image.jpeg.6a84a8997d755ad999bbd8e11384cb34.jpeg

Shortly after moving, a family discovers that dark spirits have possessed their home and that their son has inexplicably fallen into a coma. Trying to escape the haunting and save their son, they move again only to discover that it was not their house that was haunted.

+Ouija: Origin of Evil (2016) dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif 

image.jpeg.26e183a5a148a8b0b4f662d0f22e9dce.jpeg

In 1965 Los Angeles, a widowed mother and her two daughters add a new stunt to bolster their seance scam business and unwittingly invite authentic evil into their home. When the youngest daughter is overtaken by a merciless spirit, the family confronts unthinkable fears to save her and send her possessor back to the other side.

• Like 1

Tue Sep 5…

+The Mummy’s Hand (1940) dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif 

In this acclaimed follow-up to the popular original, an expedition of American archaeologists, headed by Steve Banning and Baby Jenson, travels to Egypt in search of the undiscovered tomb of the Princess Ananka. There they soon discover the clues that lead them to a 3000-year-old mummy, who is guarded by a sinister high priest. Reluctantly funded by a magician and his beautiful daughter, the expedition has its hands full battling the mummy, who goes on a killing rampage during each full moon, in this frightening chiller masterpiece...

• Like 3

Thu Sep 7…

+House of Frankenstein (1944) dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif 

Dr. Niemann regales his hunchbacked cellmate, Daniel, with tales of how he had nearly put the brain of a human into a dog. A thunderstorm destroys their prison, and they escape to find refuge in a carnival. The carnival owner has possession of the skeleton of Count Dracula, who can be revived. Niemann has the hunchback kill the owner, and then resurrects Dracula. Later, Niemann and the hunchback encounter a gypsy caravan where Daniel falls in love with a beautiful gypsy girl. She travels with them to Frankenstein's ruined castle, where they find Frankenstein's monster and the Wolf Man frozen in ice. Niemann thaws them out, finding the Monster fairly inert and the Wolf Man changed back to the tormented Larry Talbot. To Daniel's misery, the gypsy girl falls in love with Talbot. Meanwhile, Niemann promises both the hunchback and Talbot new bodies...

Fri Sep 8…

+House of Dracula (1945) dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif 

Dracula arrives at Dr. Edelman's office asking for a cure to his vampirism. However, this is a ruse by Dracula to get near Dr. Edelman's beautiful female assistant and turn her into a vampire. Meanwhile, a sincere Lawrence Talbot (the Wolfman), arrives seeking a cure for his lycanthropy. When Dr. Edelman's first attempt fails, Talbot tries to commit suicide by jumping off a cliff, but instead finds a network of underground caves where Frankensteins Monster is in stasis. Chaos ensues as the three monsters fight for dominance of each other...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Sun Oct 1…

+The Phantom of the Opera (1962) dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif 

Pit violinist Claudin hopelessly loves rising operatic soprano Christine Dubois (as do baritone Anatole and police inspector Raoul) and secretly aids her career. But Claudin loses both his touch and his job, murders a rascally music publisher in a fit of madness, and has his face etched with acid. Soon, mysterious crimes plague the Paris Opera House, blamed on a legendary "phantom" whom none can find in the mazes and catacombs. But both of Christine's lovers have plans to ferret him out.

• Like 1

Mon Oct 2…

+The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945) dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif 

In 1886, the dissolute Lord Henry Wotton meets Dorian Gray posing for talented painter Basil Hallward. Dorian wishes that his portrait could age instead of him. Over the years, as Lord Henry corrupts him, Dorian remains the same, while his friends age, but his picture discloses his evil life. Can he still have salvation or is his soul trapped in the doomed painting?

• Like 2

Tue Oct 3…

+Dan Curtis’ Dracula (1974) dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif 

Count Dracula's centuries-old existence is threatened after he attacks the lovely Lucy Westenra. When Lucy's fiancee calls in Dr. Van Helsing to investigate, a spine-tingling hunt for the vampire follows. Filmed in England and Yugoslavia.

• Like 1

Wed Oct 4…

+The Thing (2011) dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif 

At an Antarctica research site, the discovery of an alien craft leads to a confrontation between graduate student Kate Lloyd and scientist Dr. Sander Halvorson. While Dr. Halvorson keeps to his research, Kate partners with Sam Carter, a helicopter pilot, to pursue the alien life form.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nathan_s82 said:

Last night's viewing was of the Horror Anthology Creepshow by the greats Stephen King and the late George Romero. Shout did an amazing job on their 4K upgrade of this film. Plus, this month is all about introducing cult classics to my wife who never saw these!

george a romero horror movies GIF by absurdnoise

My wife does not enjoy my “spooky” films. 😞 👻 🎃 

Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

I hope your wife does if possible. 🙌

• Thanks 2

Thu Oct 5… 

+Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde (1931) dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif 

Based on the story by Robert Louis Stevenson, Dr. Henry Jekyll believes that there are two distinct sides to men - a good and an evil side. He believes that by separating the two man can become liberated. He succeeds in his experiments with chemicals to accomplish this and transforms into Mr. Hyde to commit horrendous crimes. When he discontinues use of the drug it is already too late...

• Like 3

Fri  Oct 6…

*The Scarlet Claw (1944) dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif dead2.gif 

Sherlock and Dr. Watson are at a meeting of the Royal Canadian Occult Society in a small Canadian town of La Morte Rouge when several deaths are happening with their throats cut and the townsfolk think it is a legendary glowing monster… was hoping though for a little bit of the supernatural, oh well it is Sherlock you know!… it does have excellent and classy production sets with some foggy marsh bottoms! 😱 

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2