IGNORED

Response to Membership Tier

12 hours ago, Whodini said:

I really believe that the more group buys a member participates in, the higher their chance in obtaining a premium membership.

I think they are asking for proof of this because it reads like an accusation rather than what I think you were trying to express which is a suggestion on how group buys should work 

• Like 1

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Masterblaster said:

Hi guys and gals,

sorry for the late response but the most of you know us by now and since everything is done manually it does consume alot of time and effort. My wife and I have been busy doing what we can to get some of this traffic out so do bear with us until we come to the bottom of the pile.

The tier memberships are hot in discussion at the moment as the Admins have observed different aspects within the last couple of timeframes that could/should be changed.  

Im sure the details will become available shortly , but until then all Memberships are extended for this Month. 

More info to come.....

@ksosk and @deckard99 will be running point for this upcoming cycle . 

Take care

nice to hear all that one thing i would like to suggest is that its run on a weekend if possible?

rather than turning on at 2am on a tuesday morning.

also hope to hear details will be announced well in advance, rather than here it is go.

@deckard99 & @ksosk you guys going to have you work cut out and every members best mate nowxD 

don't know if you think thats a good thing or omg xD 

Oh No Do Not Want GIF by CBC or Dog I Have No Idea What Im Doing GIF

basil xD 

• Haha 1

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Basil:

nice to hear all that one thing i would like to suggest is that its run on a weekend if possible?

rather than turning on at 2am on a tuesday morning.

also hope to hear details will be announced well in advance, rather than here it is go.

@deckard99 & @ksosk you guys going to have you work cut out and every members best mate nowxD 

don't know if you think thats a good thing or omg xD 

Oh No Do Not Want GIF by CBC or Dog I Have No Idea What Im Doing GIF

basil xD 

for reneval there at least 24h to do it so don't see a problem when it get started. not all members are online the same time so there will be time for everyone

• Like 2

Just now, Whodini said:

Oh ok. Yeah I totally meant it as a suggestion.

I believe the administration is always open to suggestions, however giving the tier membership preference based solely on those who participate more GBs would not be fair IMO.

For example there may be people that participate a lot of GBs but rarely post on the forum. Members who keep the forum alive are also very important as they help the community, keep discussions alive and basically make this a special place where collectors can come and hang out with each other :) 

Also there might be some people who participate all GB's just to sell everything on ebay at higher prices afterwards. Do you really think it would be fair for this person to be given higher priority over a passionate collector who only gets into GBs for a retailer he collects from?

Factoring all the criteria to make a 'preference' list to whom would be the first picks for aquiring a tiered membership would be a very time consuming task and unfair for who would be doing it because in the end there will alway be someone who was treated unfairly.

Just my 2 cents on the topic :) 

• Like 11

I wonder if yearly membership is rising in numbers or do they keep it at same number.

If it's same number then it's no wonder getting in is tough and there are always same ppl who have priority in GB.

Would be fair if number grows proportionaly with site number of users...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Whodini said:

I really believe that the more group buys a member participates in, the higher their chance in obtaining a premium membership.

There are Platinum members that I've seen admit that they don't participate in many GBs throughout the year, but they still get the membership to support Media Psychos. I also think some of them get it as a status symbol.

In my view, if you really want to support MP, then donate to them without expecting a membership from them.

With limited memberships available, my chances of getting a membership myself are slim to none. In the short time I've been a regular member here, I've participated in many GBs. I believe I've earned preference because of this.

The more GBs you participate in, and essentially the more you purchase, you're showing more support to MP. Because of this, your chances of receiving a premium membership should correlate. I should be rewarded for that.

That's fair. The way it is at the moment, its a game of chance, and that doesn't sit right with me.

What do you mean by chance?

As far as I know, admins gave warning to when memberships were going to roughly go up. I assumed it was first come first serve at that point (after previous tiers secured).

I myself believe in the "early bird gets the worm" mentality and I spent the day refreshing page constantly until I saw it up and was able to snag gold during my this previous cycle. Luckily being the day after I was introduced to this place. Now I'm assuming a good number of people that were not tiers prior also was able to grab membership; I don't pretend to know otherwise so I'll have to make that assumption.

I understand your ideals that loyalty to them should possibly stand for something and i wish it was easy to accommodate, but that's just not how the world works I'm afraid. This isn't exactly a huge multi million dollar operation and the logistics of both satisfying current tiers as well as non tiered loyalty would he a nightmare and I assume they would have to pick their poison. Besides, if you believe that many tiered members are grabbing membership for status then that still leaves the GBs open and available and even in that case it still becomes first come first serve anyway.

I may have had things to say about this place over the months that may seem like slight jabs here and there, but ultimately I appreciate what they've done for the physical media community.

Just my opinion.

Edited by delzeisa
  • Like 6

Awards

vor 9 Minuten schrieb 5t33lb0y:

I wonder if yearly membership is rising in numbers or do they keep it at same number.

If it's same number then it's no wonder getting in is tough and there are always same ppl who have priority in GB.

since there are more members that join mp there will be more tiere membership. if that increase only gold or platinum too i can't say. The membership are not yearly almost 6 month, because of covid it was extended to 8 but i think it may go back to 6 month cyrcle. The staff will soon inform us about all that

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 5t33lb0y said:

This is a nice idea and probably the way most members would expect things to "grow" . However,  what we might not take into consideration with this outlook is,  even though our membership grows, our allocation from each vendor probably cannot.  So,  the membership tiers are the only way to distribute the editions.

11 minutes ago, swish said:

since there are more members that join mp there will be more tiere membership. if that increase only gold or platinum too i can't say. The membership are not yearly almost 6 month, because of covid it was extended to 8 but i think it may go back to 6 month cyrcle. The staff will soon inform us about all that

It used to be annual. The 6/8 month cycle is a recent thing. I’ve been here since the beginning and seen a lot of changes. Mostly for the good, but some have been painful IMO. I prefer an annual membership, but it’s not my decision.

We used to have silver but those have been ditched, and Platinum & Gold allocations have increased year on year. I suspect that 2022 will be no different in that regard. We shall see. 

All I would say to anyone who wants a membership, is consider your collection. There is far too much “I want platinum, I want diamond, I want to rule” nonsense that takes place every year. If you’re not buying OC after OC and prefer singles, then consider that some one else may want, and would get better use of a platinum membership than yourself.

I have been a Gold member from the start and only buy singles. I’ve never missed out on a Blufans for example yet. I will of course be renewing my gold and not bowing to the “elite” nonsense that goes on in here at times. We are all collectors, and we all have different views on what’s Hot and what’s not. 

Hope you all get what you want, but as always there will be those who will miss out. There’s only so much John & the team can do.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 5t33lb0y said:

right what has happened last few years we have the normal numbers of tier but john has always so far kept a new amount of all tiers new memberships for new members only.

so in other words we all go thru the usual tier process with numbers the same, then after that when open to new members you get any memberships that did not renew plus then the new memberships on top so all regular members get a fair crack of the whip.

it is a set number each year but year on year is ever growing.

the amount of time changes on each sitting rather than the first 12 monthly and if john gets tied up he has extended for free the periods which is good of him 👍

plat aug 2019

12 months $100

plat aug 2020

6 months $60 141 members

plat may 2021

8 months $96 171 members

basil 👍

• Like 2

vor 48 Minuten schrieb Basil:

right what has happened last few years we have the normal numbers of tier but john has always so far kept a new amount of all tiers new memberships for new members only.

so in other words we all go thru the usual tier process with numbers the same, then after that when open to new members you get any memberships that did not renew plus then the new memberships on top so all regular members get a fair crack of the whip.

it is a set number each year but year on year is ever growing.

the amount of time changes on each sitting rather than the first 12 monthly and if john gets tied up he has extended for free the periods which is good of him 👍

plat aug 2019

12 months $100

plat aug 2020

6 months $60 141 members

plat may 2021

8 months $96 171 members

basil 👍

Whats on 2022?

Awards

il y a une heure, Pbsw23 a dit :

It used to be annual. The 6/8 month cycle is a recent thing. I’ve been here since the beginning and seen a lot of changes. Mostly for the good, but some have been painful IMO. I prefer an annual membership, but it’s not my decision.

We used to have silver but those have been ditched, and Platinum & Gold allocations have increased year on year. I suspect that 2022 will be no different in that regard. We shall see. 

All I would say to anyone who wants a membership, is consider your collection. There is far too much “I want platinum, I want diamond, I want to rule” nonsense that takes place every year. If you’re not buying OC after OC and prefer singles, then consider that some one else may want, and would get better use of a platinum membership than yourself.

I have been a Gold member from the start and only buy singles. I’ve never missed out on a Blufans for example yet. I will of course be renewing my gold and not bowing to the “elite” nonsense that goes on in here at times. We are all collectors, and we all have different views on what’s Hot and what’s not. 

Hope you all get what you want, but as always there will be those who will miss out. There’s only so much John & the team can do.

Agree with you on everything word for word 👍

And to address what @Whodini posted earlier regarding how tiered membership allocation should prioritize those who participate in many GBs - I would much rather have a Platinum given to someone who rarely participates in GBs but when he does, it matters since these highly coveted editions are for his collection, rather than someone who uses MP to get every release, only to sell them later on eBay for a huge profit. This isn't to say all members who participate in many GBs follow this practice... but you get the picture.

It's the same old story, unfortunately there will always be people who will end up disappointed no matter what course of action is taken. 

Just remember there are far worse things in life than missing out on a GB or Platinum membership.

giphy.gif?cid=e1bb72ff5bc2db9f4659566f4d

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

• ★ Administrators ★

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions being made. There are a lot of considerations to balance and as @R1s1ngs0n said we surely won't be able to make everyone happy, but please know that we will try our best. The team is discussing and more info will come later this month. - Ken

• Like 4
  • Thanks 14

I just started here three days ago, but after learning how all of this all works, I can definitely see how it can be tough to make everyone happy. But everyone in admin seems to be doing a great job thus far with how awesome this community is! I’ll just patiently wait for more info and just go from there.

But as @swishstated, I do think it would be beneficial opening it on a weekend. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Awards

vor 10 Minuten schrieb waxenol:

Maybe consider capping how many editions can be bought in a single GB... I've seen members buy 6 or more editions at once - clearly 5 of these are headed for that auction site! I have no issue with capitalism, as I've sold an item from time to time - but buying 3, 4, 5 or 6 clearly demonstrates profiteering at possibly others' expense. Keeping that to a mimum would guarantee other members editions in some GB's, irregardless of tier.

Just my .02

1 or 2 its ok, but 4, 5 or 6 are to much, thats not a collector, thats a Business. I think if its so, thats not fair. Sorry, thats my opinion

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, waxenol said:

Maybe consider capping how many editions can be bought in a single GB... I've seen members buy 6 or more editions at once - clearly 5 of these are headed for that auction site! I have no issue with capitalism, as I've sold an item from time to time - but buying 3, 4, 5 or 6 clearly demonstrates profiteering at possibly others' expense. Keeping that to a mimum would guarantee other members editions in some GB's, irregardless of tier.

Just my .02

We never service multiple copies if we can’t service the mayority of members in the GB.

In some cases like Blufans, they even ask member to not signup in multiple sites or they would not service you ever again. This happened with Harry Potter OAB.

Edited by LeGonze
  • Like 8

17 minutes ago, chingie123 said:

1 or 2 its ok, but 4, 5 or 6 are to much, thats not a collector, thats a Business. I think if its so, thats not fair. Sorry, thats my opinion

Agree. But you have to take into account that this isn't only forum with GB to MantaLAB/HDZ/Blufans etc... They do that where they can and simply put extortion prices then. 

They avoid customs in most cases and get away with like 300-500% profit. Not to mention they profit on shipping too.

It's sad reality.

Edited by 5t33lb0y

vor 6 Minuten schrieb 5t33lb0y:

Agree. But you have to take into account that this isn't only forum with GB to MantaLAB/HDZ/Blufans etc... They do that where they can and simply put extortion prices then. 

They avoid customs in most cases and get away with like 300-500% profit. Not to mention they profit on shipping too.

It's sad reality.

Unfortunately there is no right or wrong, but one thing is always right: whoever first come first serve.

This is the way.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1