IGNORED

What did you watch last night???

Basil

• ★ Administrators ★
1 minute ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

Nope, haven't seen any of those.

To be honest, I'm struggling to verbalize my thoughts on The Thing and on the genre as a whole. I'll probably never finish my letterboxd review 🤣

That being said, I appreciate The Thing (and I'd rate it highly). Carpenter did a masterful job of not only creating/maintaining suspense but also of keeping you guessing. I was playing the "who is it?" game throughout the film and I had a hard time with it outside of one or two characters. Combine this with the comparison to the real world issues of Communism and AIDS and you have a hell of a film. 

That being said, while I recognize the masterful skill behind the practical effects, I just don't really care for those visuals. I think that's my main thing with horror. There's an inverse relationship between my enjoyment of horror and the quantity of scary/grotesque/gory visuals. I think that's why I've really jumped into Peele's stuff since it lacks that.

I'm not quite sure why I went into all of this. Perhaps to explain my reservations about going deeper into the genre? Maybe to seek recommendations that fit that criteria? I'm just throwing it out there I guess. 

That’s totally fair and there is actually quite a bit of horror that is not gory or particularly bloody.   Carpenter’s much lauded classic Halloween, for example, is actually quite low on gore despite being a slasher and relies, rather, on suspense and scares to deliver the chills. 

I can certainly offer some recommendations.  

• Like 2

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Gary K said:

That’s totally fair and there is actually quite a bit of horror that is not gory or particularly bloody.   Carpenter’s much lauded classic Halloween, for example, is actually quite low on gore despite being a slasher and relies, rather, on suspense and scares to deliver the chills. 

classic, pacing and soundtrack alone make it highly rewatchable. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Rambo said:

if those aren't your bag, have you seen Carpenters 'They Live'? Not grotesque, one of my fav movies ever. 

I'll check it out. Thanks for the rec!

16 hours ago, Gary K said:

It's what I don't like that I have a hard time verbalizing and maybe I"m still figuring it out. I know body horror is definitely in the "no thank you" list so I'm avoiding Cronenberg like the plague. I can handle blood just fine and can't think of any slashers that have bothered me. I guess it's just the over the top stuff.

I'll happily take some more recommendations when you get a chance. 👍 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Veum said:

NOW SHOWING movie theatre sign home theater decor

🥤📺🎬💽 :) 🎃 👻 🧛‍♂️ watched…

image.gif.ff8658edd74eed04c5e02f88cb09ab5a.gif 

Wed Oct 5

Wolf (Blu-ray)

first time watch icon_surprised.gif… started out very well with them digging into the symptoms of the man wolf (Jack Nicholson) but digressed after awhile for me meh.gif

This is how I felt with Police Story. I was into it and then gradually fell off. I feel like that's worse than immediately knowing a film isn't for you because then you feel like you've wasted some time...

• Like 1

• ★ Administrators ★
37 minutes ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

I'll happily take some more recommendations when you get a chance. 👍 

So in no particular order, some non body horror, heavy gore horror that I love includes: Halloween (original), Rosemary’s Baby, The Exorcist, Wicker Man (original), Prince Of Darkness, In The Mouth of Madness, Bird With The Crystal Plumage, Deep Red, The Empty Man, Cure For Wellness, Possession, Saint Maud, Girl Walks Home Alone At Night, Stoker, Don’t Look Now, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original - not gory believe it or not). 

Horror is definitely my favorite genre….

Jamie Lee Curtis Crying GIF by filmeditor

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Gary K said:

So in no particular order, some non body horror, heavy gore horror that I love includes: Halloween (original), Rosemary’s Baby, The Exorcist, Wicker Man (original), Prince Of Darkness, In The Mouth of Madness, Bird With The Crystal Plumage, Deep Red, The Empty Man, Cure For Wellness, Possession, Saint Maud, Girl Walks Home Alone At Night, Stoker, Don’t Look Now, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original - not gory believe it or not). 

I can not believe most peeps leave out the classics, doesn’t matter they are older IMHO, but they are much better for me! :)

image.jpeg.aa7433df17efdb7dc43d317a590517e1.jpeg 

image.jpeg.5f4539a658b7dac87e9cbcd1d462f2e6.jpeg

image.jpeg.676bb6dd890ce8ff1374a36be0807b29.jpeg

image.jpeg.d6789a4fea386f569713bdaaf21b9806.jpeg

image.jpeg.d11bca2bd7e07c1f4af814cb66387021.jpeg

image.jpeg.b54a4f96594da264c242597ed685cab0.jpeg

image.jpeg.a3863bf073d4b4a9c5334ff83b51ed67.jpeg

ETC., ETC.❣️

• Like 3

• ★ Administrators ★
1 hour ago, Veum said:

I can not believe most peeps leave out the classics, doesn’t matter they are older IMHO, but they are much better for me! :)

image.jpeg.aa7433df17efdb7dc43d317a590517e1.jpeg 

image.jpeg.5f4539a658b7dac87e9cbcd1d462f2e6.jpeg

image.jpeg.676bb6dd890ce8ff1374a36be0807b29.jpeg

image.jpeg.d6789a4fea386f569713bdaaf21b9806.jpeg

image.jpeg.d11bca2bd7e07c1f4af814cb66387021.jpeg

image.jpeg.b54a4f96594da264c242597ed685cab0.jpeg

image.jpeg.a3863bf073d4b4a9c5334ff83b51ed67.jpeg

ETC., ETC.❣️

I leave them out not because they aren’t good films, but because they are not my favorites and not particularly scary to me.  

Film appreciation is entirely subjective.  Your “cup of tea” may not be mine and vice versa.  

• Like 2

I watched Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later for the first time in over a decade last night. I had vague memories of it looking incredibly cheap (shot on miniDV) and not being very scary, and this watch reconfirmed those priors, along with the realization that it was really really good.

Obviously the innovation of fast zombies kind of reinvigorated the genre? But some of the stylization and editing achieved with the mini digital video (that already looks like it's disintegrating into interlace) works so well for a film about the collapse of society. And the road trip section in the middle of the film is really fun and oddly beautiful, it weirdly brought to mind Gregg Araki's Doom Generation, maybe just in vibe. A pretty inspiring rewatch.

image.thumb.png.c55a083e52f5da0895051fabd03febde.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gary K said:

Thanks! I'll check these out!

@GuyIncognit0

Some time ago I had a time when I watched every horror movie that came my way, now unfortunately that interest has been somewhat in the background.😔

The last thing I remember seeing that I liked, I would say Hereditary and The Witch.

On the subject of series, without a doubt, The Haunting of Hill House.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Veum said:

Thu Oct 6

The Mummy (1959) image.gif.e424edcabf13d87fe721a8d25326d0de.gifimage.gif.ca39f756152d9048727382a8b140a964.gifimage.gif.10a50c4749155ebf5c097269d0261c84.gifimage.gif.d0c1ec3f49c50b8922b9b3ddcc74ee9b.gifimage.gif.cd11a99739ad1605e3b469d0d88ddc59.gif

Hammer Horror Classics, Volume One (Blu-ray)

An excellent adaptation of The Mummy with the great Christopher Lee as Kharis and the great Peter Cushing as an archaeologist… the Hammer sets are fantastic, love this version!

So funny, I was pondering about watching some Christopher Lee movies and thought about Dracula and Mummy. Then I see you post this lol. 

Coincidence I Think Not GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Awards

17 minutes ago, damships said:

So funny, I was pondering about watching some Christopher Lee movies and thought about Dracula and Mummy. Then I see you post this lol. 

Coincidence I Think Not GIF

Yeah you have a lot of Sir Christopher Lee fantastic Hammer films to choose from! :)

Spoiler
titles

The Curse of Frankenstein

1. The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)

Approved | 82 min | Horror, Sci-Fi, Thriller 

Rate

59  Metascore

While awaiting execution for murder, Baron Victor Frankenstein tells the story of a creature he built and brought to life - only for it to behave not as he intended.

Director: Terence Fisher | Stars: Peter Cushing, Hazel Court, Robert Urquhart, Christopher Lee

Votes: 11,316 |  Gross: $17.44M

Horror of Dracula

2. Horror of Dracula (1958)

Not Rated | 82 min | Drama, Horror 

Rate

67  Metascore

Jonathan Harker rouses the ire of Count Dracula after he accepts a job at the vampire's castle under false pretenses. Harker's friend, Dr. Van Helsing, then embarks on a hunt for the predatory villain when he targets Harker's loved ones.

Director: Terence Fisher | Stars: Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Michael Gough, Melissa Stribling

Votes: 25,329

The Mummy

3. The Mummy (1959)

Unrated | 88 min | Adventure, Horror 

Rate

62  Metascore

In 1895, British archaeologists find and open the tomb of Egyptian Princess Ananka with nefarious consequences.

Director: Terence Fisher | Stars: Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Yvonne Furneaux, Eddie Byrne

Votes: 9,735

The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll

4. The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1960)

Approved | 88 min | Horror 

Rate

Dr. Henry Jekyll experiments with scientific means of revealing the hidden, dark side of man and releases a murderer from within himself.

Director: Terence Fisher | Stars: Paul Massie, Dawn Addams, Christopher Lee, David Kossoff

Votes: 2,899

The Terror of the Tongs

5. The Terror of the Tongs (1961)

Not Rated | 76 min | Action, Adventure 

Rate

In 1910, Hong Kong members of a secret Tong crime syndicate protect their identities by murdering the daughter of a British sea captain who vows revenge.

Director: Anthony Bushell | Stars: Christopher Lee, Yvonne Monlaur, Geoffrey Toone, Marne Maitland

Votes: 1,032

Scream of Fear

6. Scream of Fear (1961)

Approved | 81 min | Horror, Thriller 

Rate

65  Metascore

A wheelchair-bound young woman returns to her father's estate after ten years, and although she's told he's away, she keeps seeing his dead body on the estate.

Director: Seth Holt | Stars: Susan Strasberg, Ann Todd, Ronald Lewis, Christopher Lee

Votes: 4,717

The Pirates of Blood River

7. The Pirates of Blood River (1962)

Approved | 87 min | Action, Adventure, Drama 

Rate

A group of ruthless pirates attack a seventeenth century Huguenot settlement on the Isle of Devon in search of treasure and will stop at nothing to obtain it.

Director: John Gilling | Stars: Kerwin Mathews, Glenn Corbett, Christopher Lee, Peter Arne

Votes: 1,078

The Devil-Ship Pirates

8. The Devil-Ship Pirates (1964)

Approved | 86 min | Action, Adventure, Thriller 

Rate

A damaged privateer deserts the Spanish Armada and makes land for repairs near a village on the British coast, terrorizing the local inhabitants.

Director: Don Sharp | Stars: Christopher Lee, Andrew Keir, John Cairney, Duncan Lamont

Votes: 794

The Gorgon

9. The Gorgon (1964)

Not Rated | 83 min | Horror 

Rate

In the early twentieth century, a Gorgon takes human form and terrorizes a small European village by turning its citizens to stone.

Director: Terence Fisher | Stars: Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Richard Pasco, Barbara Shelley

Votes: 6,126

She

10. She (I) (1965)

Unrated | 106 min | Adventure, Fantasy 

Rate

An Edwardian archaeologist and two companions stumble upon a lost city in East Africa, run by a beautiful queen whose love holds the promise of immortality.

Director: Robert Day | Stars: Ursula Andress, Peter Cushing, Bernard Cribbins, John Richardson

Votes: 3,333

Dracula: Prince of Darkness

11. Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966)

Unrated | 90 min | Horror 

Rate

Dracula is resurrected, preying on four unsuspecting visitors to his castle.

Director: Terence Fisher | Stars: Christopher Lee, Barbara Shelley, Andrew Keir, Francis Matthews

Votes: 9,988 |  Gross: $0.80M

Rasputin: The Mad Monk

12. Rasputin: The Mad Monk (1966)

Not Rated | 91 min | Biography, Drama, Horror 

Rate

Thrown out of his monastery for licentious and drunken behaviour, Rasputin travels to St Petersburg to try his luck. Through a dalliance with one of the czarina's ladies in waiting he soon ...  See full summary »

Director: Don Sharp | Stars: Christopher Lee, Barbara Shelley, Richard Pasco, Francis Matthews

Votes: 3,118

The Devil Rides Out

13. The Devil Rides Out (1968)

G | 95 min | Horror 

Rate

Devil worshipers plan to convert two new victims.

Director: Terence Fisher | Stars: Christopher Lee, Charles Gray, Nike Arrighi, Leon Greene

Votes: 9,183

Dracula Has Risen from the Grave

14. Dracula Has Risen from the Grave (1968)

G | 92 min | Drama, Fantasy, Horror 

Rate

When Castle Dracula is exorcised by the Monsignor, it accidentally brings the Count back from the dead. Dracula follows the Monsignor back to his hometown, preying on the holy man's beautiful niece and her friends.

Director: Freddie Francis | Stars: Christopher Lee, Rupert Davies, Veronica Carlson, Barbara Ewing

Votes: 7,432

Taste the Blood of Dracula

15. Taste the Blood of Dracula (1970)

R | 91 min | Drama, Fantasy, Horror 

Rate

Three distinguished English gentlemen accidentally resurrect Count Dracula, killing a disciple of his in process. The Count seeks to avenge his dead servant, by making the trio die in the hands of their own children.

Director: Peter Sasdy | Stars: Christopher Lee, Geoffrey Keen, Gwen Watford, Linda Hayden

Votes: 6,162

Scars of Dracula

16. Scars of Dracula (1970)

R | 95 min | Horror 

Rate

A young man, Paul Carlson, is on a trip and spends the night at Count Dracula's castle. He is murdered. After some time has passed, the young man's brother Simon comes to the small town where all the traces end to look for him.

Director: Roy Ward Baker | Stars: Christopher Lee, Dennis Waterman, Jenny Hanley, Christopher Matthews

Votes: 5,762

Dracula A.D. 1972

17. Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)

PG | 96 min | Horror 

Rate

Johnny Alucard raises Count Dracula from the dead in London in 1972. The Count goes after the descendants of Van Helsing.

Director: Alan Gibson | Stars: Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Stephanie Beacham, Christopher Neame

Votes: 6,685

The Satanic Rites of Dracula

18. The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973)

R | 87 min | Horror 

Rate

In the 1970s, Scotland Yard believed it had uncovered a case of vampirism. They call in veteran vampire researcher Professor Lorrimer Van Helsing (a descendant of Dr. Abraham Van Helsing).

Director: Alan Gibson | Stars: Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Michael Coles, William Franklyn

Votes: 6,191

To the Devil a Daughter

19. To the Devil a Daughter (1976)

R | 95 min | Horror 

Rate

An American occult novelist battles to save the soul of a young girl from a group of Satanists, led by an excommunicated priest, who plan on using her as the representative of the Devil on Earth.

Directors: Peter Sykes, Don Sharp | Stars: Richard Widmark, Christopher Lee, Honor Blackman, Denholm Elliott

Votes: 4,322

The Resident

20. The Resident (2011)

R | 91 min | Crime, Drama, Horror 

Rate

When a young doctor suspects she may not be alone in her new Brooklyn loft, she learns that her landlord has formed a frightening obsession with her.

Director: Antti J. Jokinen | Stars: Hilary Swank, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Lee Pace, Christopher Lee

Votes: 28,219

The Man Who Could Cheat Death

21. The Man Who Could Cheat Death (1959)

Approved | 83 min | Drama, Horror, Sci-Fi 

Rate

A centenarian artist and scientist in 1890 Paris maintains his youth and health by periodically replacing a gland with that of a living person.

Director: Terence Fisher | Stars: Anton Diffring, Hazel Court, Christopher Lee, Arnold Marlé

Votes: 2,131

The Hound of the Baskervilles

22. The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959)

Not Rated | 87 min | Horror, Mystery 

Rate

When a nobleman is threatened by a family curse on his newly inherited estate, detective Sherlock Holmes is hired to investigate.

Director: Terence Fisher | Stars: Peter Cushing, André Morell, Christopher Lee, Marla Landi

Votes: 11,261

Edited by Veum
  • Like 1

• ★ Administrators ★
1 hour ago, Noir21 said:

@GuyIncognit0

Some time ago I had a time when I watched every horror movie that came my way, now unfortunately that interest has been somewhat in the background.😔

The last thing I remember seeing that I liked, I would say Hereditary and The Witch.

On the subject of series, without a doubt, The Haunting of Hill House.

Haunting of hill house is absolutely outstanding.  

• Like 4

• ★ Administrators ★

Deadstream

What a bonkers awesome fun time.  At moments hilarious and at others absolutely yelp out loud scary.  

Like a found footage version of Evil Dead as a livestream.   

Streaming on shudder.  Don’t sleep on this one.  

image.thumb.jpeg.faba2ea53db70b72f802e9d2d022cb0b.jpeg

4.5/5 severed fingers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sun Oct 9

The Ninth Gate image.gif.e424edcabf13d87fe721a8d25326d0de.gifimage.gif.ca39f756152d9048727382a8b140a964.gifimage.gif.10a50c4749155ebf5c097269d0261c84.gif

The Ninth Gate (Blu-ray) Temporary cover art

interesting supernatural tale of a book dealer (Jonny Depp) caught up in an Satanic conspiracy involving a cult who believe they've found a way to summon the Devil within the ancient manuscript -- 17th century author and esoterist Aristide Torchia's "The Nine Gates of the Kingdom of Shadows… should have been better though considering the subject matter.

Edited by Veum
  • Like 3

pDoI9pO6EPunPTDPXiubRDgZPnR.jpg

It's a movie I bought a long time ago because I thought it was so much fun.

I was watching it last night after several years, and I still find it very entertaining; although I found its shortcomings, associated with the years that have passed. That script, and that really great cast, would make a more forceful, less familiar movie today. Sometimes it's too "soft". And even the ending... would be done with more care, even some special effects of some explosions.

It's funny, because it was made in 2001 and it looks very 90's.

But at the same time, it's still funny, very funny, I had a good time watching it. 

• Like 6

Mon Oct 10

image.gif.10a50c4749155ebf5c097269d0261c84.gifimage.gif.10a50c4749155ebf5c097269d0261c84.gifimage.gif.10a50c4749155ebf5c097269d0261c84.gifimage.gif.10a50c4749155ebf5c097269d0261c84.gifimage.gif.10a50c4749155ebf5c097269d0261c84.gif

Psycho II (Blu-ray)

An excellent, enjoyable sequel to the original, Norman (excellent acting from the great Anthony Perkins here! icon_biggrin.gif) is released from the mental hospital after many years and “psycho” happenings around the Bates Motel & the House are back… is Norman “psycho” or is he being set-up, hmm!! 🤔

• Like 3