Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching…

Remembering QUEEN ELIZABETH II 🫅 

EDINBURGH, SCOTLAND

https://youtu.be/QMal0BBkhxU

Watching DVR…

Firestone Grand Prix pf Monterey 🏎 

WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca (previously known as Laguna Seca Raceway) is a paved road racing track used for both auto racing and motorcycle racing, originally constructed in 1957 near both Salinas and Monterey, California, USA. The current racetrack is 2.238 miles (3.602 km) in length with a 300 foot (91 m) elevation change.

image.jpeg.0bd0a9ac0d5b09cce5ca5e1122be76bd.jpeg

Edited by Veum
  • Like 1

NOW SHOWING movie theatre sign home theater decor

🥤📺🎬💽 :) watched from our local library…

image.gif.ff8658edd74eed04c5e02f88cb09ab5a.gif 

Elvis (DVD) Temporary cover art

A look at the life of the legendary rock and roll star, Elvis Presley.

I enjoyed the real music and footage of this film of the great Elvis Presley, but did not enjoy the acting nor the real life of “Colonel Parker”! 😉 🎤 3/5

Edited by Veum

I did a double feature last night of Bullet Train and Don’t Worry Darling.  Bullet Train was pretty straightforward and cool, but nothing spectacular.  Don’t Worry Darling is an ok movie. It’s a love child of three movies I like that could have been executed better. Florence Pugh gives a career best performance and Chis Pine shine.

🥤📺🎬💽 :) 🎃 👻 🧛‍♂️ watching…

133782_medium.jpg?t=1435751818

Three respectable gentlemen searching for excitement help one of Count Dracula's servants resurrect the vampire.

UPDATE: one of my fav Dracula films, with the debauched men through their lust that destroy one of Drac’s servants, so Drac seeks vengeance against them… the production sets are very nice as are some very lovely Hammer gals that are his victims also! 5/5

Edited by Veum

🥤📺🎬💽 :) 🎃 👻🧛‍♀️ watched…

image.jpeg.bb8aff35f4534b7b48d8b774056b82c3.jpeg

Elizabeth Bathory is an ageless Countess with a beautiful young 'companion' and a legendary legacy of perversion. But when the two women seduce a troubled newlywed couple, they unleash a frenzy of sudden violence and depraved desire that shocked both art house audiences and grindhouse crowds worldwide.

Not as good a vampire film as I had hoped 2/5

Edited by Veum

🥤📺🎬💽 :) 🎃 👻 🧛‍♂️ watched…

Twins of Evil (Blu-ray)

Stunning identical siblings, one good and the other decidedly evil. One of the young women is a vampire, and the other is the "nice girl next door." When the townspeople decide to burn the vampire at the stake they make a tragic error.

The Great Peter Cushing as a crazed witch hunter, but errors against innocent beautiful women. His own beautiful nieces come against his wrong fury (except maybe one???). 5/5

Edited by Veum

• 2 weeks later...

image.png.ec1781ab4894ebfe8b9830c718638c0a.png

Busy weekend.  

Friday/Saturday 

Started out with Star Trek the original motion picture Directors Cut.  Decent transfer, still a little boring though. 

image.thumb.png.c677c39d77b165e0dfd3a46ad693c034.png

2.  Saturday nights.  Poltergeist 4k.  Got my daughter to finally watch.   Some of these older movies just look good in 4k

image.thumb.png.038fbcfc40477cb8798a7ee19833335e.png

3.  Finally watched Prey on Sunday.  Did enjoy this and the transfer was decent being streamed.  Maybe a disk release will occur. 

image.thumb.png.8df2e13981997f16e5ef52b73d4aa959.png

Edited by bossjon
  • Like 4

Friday 9/30

The Legend of Hell House (Blu-ray)

Excellent production sets, cinematography and a good little ghost story with Roddy McDowell’s great acting… enjoyed it as that atmospheric gothic, subtle scares & the spookylooking mansion (loved the music when they were outside the mansion, very eerie!) my ‘cup of tea’! icon_smile.gif

Edited by Veum
  • Like 1

Finally got around to watching Chinatown. I went into it completely blind so was pretty thrown off and surprised by the ending. It was also nice to see Nicholson in a role that I (growing up when I did) wouldn't associate with him.

Yes, this also means I haven't seen The Shining or One who Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I'm ashamed.

• Like 3

Mon 10/3

The Gorgon

Hammer Films Double Feature: The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll / The Gorgon (Blu-ray)

In a rural village, a series of murders have been committed where each victim was turned into stone. A local professor investigates and finds an evil Gorgon haunting a nearby castle and in search of more victims.

216764_medium.jpg?t=1538534509

In a remote 19th-century Cornish village, an evil presence lurks within the darkness of the witching hour. A mysterious plague relentlessly consumes lives at an unstoppable rate. Unable to find the cause, Dr. Peter Tompson enlists the help of his mentor, Sir James Forbes. Desperate to find an antidote, they instead find inexplicable horror: empty coffins with the diseased corpses missing! Following a series of strange and frightening clues, they discover a deserted mine where they discover a world of black magic and a doomed legion of flesh-eating slaves ... the walking dead!

• Like 2

Mensajero_del_futuro-681229730-large.jpg

I had seen this movie when it was released, and had not seen it since. In its day I liked it, I remember that even the criticism had surprised me a little;  it seemed exaggerated.

I watched it yerterday, a long time later, and I can say I had a good time.

I found the story entertaining, and was surprised to note how it was almost some kind of prequel to "The Walking Dead" in more than one detail; in fact, there are characters that are almost interchangeable. Maybe "The Postman" lacks a point of bitchiness, of not being so innocent, so familiar, so from the 90s; but it's still a film with which you can have relaxed fun.

This time I also understood -or perceived- its small flaws; which, in this case, in my opinion, are editing, or not knowing how to maintain the tension at certain moments of the film, causing the viewer to disconnect a bit. The tension and rhythm of the last third and the first third have nothing to do with it, and they had to have modulated it very carefully.  In fact, to make such a long first third they had to have given it a specific point of view, and not just let time pass.

But yes, without being a great film, or without being "Dances with Wolves", it's an apocalyptic western to enjoy without high expectations.

By the way, I don't think anyone here can see it without remembering our Postman, @Veum. Maybe when this world collapses definitively he will save us all. Who knows. 

• Like 4

Tue Oct 4

Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde

image.jpeg.ea6be59601b521410f5d9757881e5ace.jpeg

Another of my fav Hammer films with the delicious experiment with Jekyll and Hyde (I mean Sister Hyde mouhahaha!)… this has fantastic production sets and the beautiful ladies Martine Beswick & Susan Brodrick, as well as the pretty supporting ladies… Ralph Bates is great!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

Checked another classic off of the list last night...The Thing! First watch!  I'm really impressed with the practical effects considering this was made in '82. Not going to post a trailer because I figure I'm one of the few who had not seen it prior to last night

The practical effects are soo good! Much better than the CGI efforts of the 2011 prequel. I'm waiting on my Titans of Cult steel to arrive now. :) I hope you liked the flick, man!

• Like 3

• ★ Administrators ★
2 hours ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

Checked another classic off of the list last night...The Thing! First watch!  I'm really impressed with the practical effects considering this was made in '82. Not going to post a trailer because I figure I'm one of the few who had not seen it prior to last night

One of the very best of the genre.  Glad you enjoyed.  Rob Bottin who did the practical effects is an absolute master.  He also did the effects for The Howling and many others.  

As you are somewhat of a horror newbie, have you seen other John Carpenter films?  Halloween, The Fog, Prince of Darkness, Mouth of Madness for example?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gary K said:

One of the very best of the genre.  Glad you enjoyed.  Rob Bottin who did the practical effects is an absolute master.  He also did the effects for The Howling and many others.  

As you are somewhat of a horror newbie, have you seen other John Carpenter films?  Halloween, The Fog, Prince of Darkness, Mouth of Madness for example?

Nope, haven't seen any of those.

To be honest, I'm struggling to verbalize my thoughts on The Thing and on the genre as a whole. I'll probably never finish my letterboxd review 🤣

That being said, I appreciate The Thing (and I'd rate it highly). Carpenter did a masterful job of not only creating/maintaining suspense but also of keeping you guessing. I was playing the "who is it?" game throughout the film and I had a hard time with it outside of one or two characters. Combine this with the comparison to the real world issues of Communism and AIDS and you have a hell of a film. 

That being said, while I recognize the masterful skill behind the practical effects, I just don't really care for those visuals. I think that's my main thing with horror. There's an inverse relationship between my enjoyment of horror and the quantity of scary/grotesque/gory visuals. I think that's why I've really jumped into Peele's stuff since it lacks that.

I'm not quite sure why I went into all of this. Perhaps to explain my reservations about going deeper into the genre? Maybe to seek recommendations that fit that criteria? I'm just throwing it out there I guess. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

Nope, haven't seen any of those.

To be honest, I'm struggling to verbalize my thoughts on The Thing and on the genre as a whole. I'll probably never finish my letterboxd review 🤣

That being said, I appreciate The Thing (and I'd rate it highly). Carpenter did a masterful job of not only creating/maintaining suspense but also of keeping you guessing. I was playing the "who is it?" game throughout the film and I had a hard time with it outside of one or two characters. Combine this with the comparison to the real world issues of Communism and AIDS and you have a hell of a film. 

That being said, while I recognize the masterful skill behind the practical effects, I just don't really care for those visuals. I think that's my main thing with horror. There's an inverse relationship between my enjoyment of horror and the quantity of scary/grotesque/gory visuals. I think that's why I've really jumped into Peele's stuff since it lacks that.

I'm not quite sure why I went into all of this. Perhaps to explain my reservations about going deeper into the genre? Maybe to seek recommendations that fit that criteria? I'm just throwing it out there I guess. 

if those aren't your bag, have you seen Carpenters 'They Live'? Not grotesque, one of my fav movies ever. 

• Like 2