IGNORED

What did you watch last night???

Basil

4 minutes ago, Veum said:

But what about us peons that do not have Hulu will we be able to see PREY any other way soon? 🤔 

soon GIF Not Bad Kind Of GIF by MOODMAN

Man, here's to hoping! Personally, I'm fed up with all these streaming services and refuse to subscribe to another one. 

season 13 GIF

I'm waiting for Disney+ and Hulu to merge, and am looking forward to Discovery+ and HBO Max to merge next year. In the meantime, I'm hoping for a 4K disc release for Prey.

• Like 2

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• ★ Administrators ★
4 minutes ago, MikeH5856 said:

Man, here's to hoping! Personally, I'm fed up with all these streaming services and refuse to subscribe to another one. 

season 13 GIF

I'm waiting for Disney+ and Hulu to merge, and am looking forward to Discovery+ and HBO Max to merge next year. In the meantime, I'm hoping for a 4K disc release for Prey.

We use Hulu for TV - only reason I have it at this point.   

Did you watch Northman yet?

• Like 1

• ★ Administrators ★
23 minutes ago, MikeH5856 said:

NOOO.... 

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

Best case scenario at this point is that the kids finally go back to school at the end of the month and wears them the stop using inappropriate language out so I can finally watch something.

I feel you brother....it's a struggle for me too even with the older one at day camp she just will not go to *&^%^*ing sleep......

• Like 1

NOW SHOWING movie theatre sign home theater decor

🥤📺🎬💽 :) watched…

image.gif.ff8658edd74eed04c5e02f88cb09ab5a.gif 

Prime Video

The Boy Who Killed My Parents

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3

“The Boy Who Killed My Parents" is the retelling of the events leading up to the murders according to Suzane, the daughter of the Richthofen's played by Carla Diaz. Carla claims it was her boyfriend Daniel Cravinhos - (Leonardo Bittencourt) and his brother Christian- (Allan Souza Lima) who planned and carried out the murders.

UPDATE: Shows you how  evil and pathetic children can be toward their parents… this film is told from the perspective of the boyfriend. 3/5

The Girl Who Killed Her Parents

image.jpeg.43e8d9f76d4fe7a1e5cd15b6bcf8bd88.jpeg

The Girl Who Killed Her Parents' is a Brazilian crime thriller based on the gruesome murders of Manfred Albert von Richthofen and Marisio von Richthofen, which were executed by the couple's own daughter Suzanne in conjunction with her boyfriend Daniel Cravinhos and his brother Christian.

UPDATE: Shows you how evil and pathetic children can be toward their parents… this film is told from the perspective of the daughter. 3/5

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

On 6/7/2022 at 11:01 PM, Veum said:

🥤📺🎬💽 :) from our local library watching… 

22149_medium.jpg?t=1319398086

A heretic priest plots to use a teenage nun in a depraved sexual pact with the forces of darkness.

image.jpeg.38caf21f028bd515cb5755aacda1b83a.jpeg

UPDATE: a fairly strange tale with Christopher Lee as an excommunicated priest into the dark forces… Nastassja Kinski was wonderful to look at and Richard Widmark is utilized as a successful author of occult novels but this was such a mishmash of a plot for me 😔 2.5/5

This is a very "Hammer" movie, and at the same time it has an additional charm, closely linked to the '70s, from when you could make B movies (or Z!!) with a certain narrative talent, even in crappy projects, or secondary. From when that industry served as a practice box for future great filmmakers, or actors, who between expendable films from time to time left some interesting brushstrokes that pushed those mediocre films to have something more interesting than usual.

I would never say that it's a great film, and if I'm honest I have to say that it is not even really good..., but it's a charming film, especially mixing that seventies spirit -and its transgression- and the presence of Christopher Lee in a role that suits him like a ring on the finger.

Not to mention the magnetic presence of Nastassja Kinski, still far from what he supposed in "Paris Texas" or "One from the heart".

I have it on an old DVD that I still enjoy.

Curiously, today this film could not be made, or at least not like that.

On 6/9/2022 at 7:07 PM, Veum said:

🥤📺🎬💽 :) from our local library watching… 

252612_medium.jpg?t=1649031294

When a powerful force knocks the moon off of its orbit, former astronaut and NASA executive Jo Fowler (Halle Berry) immediately jumps into action to save humankind. Unfortunately for her, only Brian Harper (Patrick Wilson), a figure from her past, and KC Houseman (John Bradley), a conspiracy theorist, believe that she holds the key to stopping the impending disaster. With only a few weeks until the displaced heavenly body crashes into Earth, the unlikely team heroically pursues their mission, only to find out that the moon is not what it seems to be. 

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3

UPDATE: surprisingly enjoyed this film, even through the dramatic dialogue for a lot of the film! 4/5

I saw this movie in the cinema, and I enjoyed it like a child.

I would never make the mistake of expecting -or demanding- plausibility, coherence, or realism.

It wasn't the time. It wasn't the place.

The world was ending, and I had popcorn. ;) 

PS: If I want to see a serious end of the world, I play "Melancholia" by Von Trier, or easier, or "These final hours" by Zak Hilditch. Everything has its moment. But that day, it was time for "Moonfall". Even with its mistakes and lacks. 🤘

On 7/14/2022 at 11:21 PM, Veum said:

🥤📺🎬💽 :) Watched…

Fury (Blu-ray)

Spencer Tracy stars in this provocative drama by director Fritz Lang about an innocent man who barely escapes a violent lynch mob. Believed dead, he secretly returns to seek revenge. 

UPDATE: 1st time watch from this oldie but goodie, telling us how bad it can be to have a lynch mob with gossip over an innocent person. 4/5

Great classic.

I still enjoy it in my old DVD spanish edition.

PS: By the way, most editions of Warner's "Archive Collection" only include English subtitles. It's a deep mistake. If you are no longer going to distribute that film worldwide, and you already have many subtitles in different languages comin from your old previous editions, include them. It allows the film to have another life. A lot of people need it, and so does the movie.

On 8/1/2022 at 10:10 PM, Veum said:

🥤📺🎬💽 :) watching…

The Bourne Identity 4K (Blu-ray)

After being pulled from the sea with two bullets in his back, a man awakens on a fishing boat with no memory.

https://youtu.be/FpKaB5dvQ4g

UPDATE: An excellent top-notch spy thriller that is definitely my ‘cup of tea’:)🙌 5/5

I love the Bourne saga. It's so funny, and so well done, that I feel that it's a bit underrated being almost forgotten today. 

I still wait for a big reat collector's edition with all it's films. I'm wishing it. 

And yes, at least for me, its film are those with Matt Damon. ;) 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Casiusco said:

This is a very "Hammer" movie, and at the same time it has an additional charm, closely linked to the '70s, from when you could make B movies (or Z!!) with a certain narrative talent, even in crappy projects, or secondary. From when that industry served as a practice box for future great filmmakers, or actors, who between expendable films from time to time left some interesting brushstrokes that pushed those mediocre films to have something more interesting than usual.

I would never say that it's a great film, and if I'm honest I have to say that it is not even really good..., but it's a charming film, especially mixing that seventies spirit -and its transgression- and the presence of Christopher Lee in a role that suits him like a ring on the finger.

Not to mention the magnetic presence of Nastassja Kinski, still far from what he supposed in "Paris Texas" or "One from the heart".

I have it on an old DVD that I still enjoy.

Curiously, today this film could not be made, or at least not like that.

I saw this movie in the cinema, and I enjoyed it like a child.

I would never make the mistake of expecting -or demanding- plausibility, coherence, or realism.

It wasn't the time. It wasn't the place.

The world was ending, and I had popcorn. ;) 

PS: If I want to see a serious end of the world, I play "Melancholia" by Von Trier, or easier, or "These final hours" by Zak Hilditch. Everything has its moment. But that day, it was time for "Moonfall". Even with its mistakes and lacks. 🤘

Great classic.

I still enjoy it in my old DVD spanish edition.

PS: By the way, most editions of Warner's "Archive Collection" only include English subtitles. It's a deep mistake. If you are no longer going to distribute that film worldwide, and you already have many subtitles in different languages comin from your old previous editions, include them. It allows the film to have another life. A lot of people need it, and so does the movie.

I love the Bourne saga. It's so funny, and so well done, that I feel that it's a bit underrated being almost forgotten today. 

I still wait for a big reat collector's edition with all it's films. I'm wishing it. 

And yes, at least for me, its film are those with Matt Damon. ;) 

Yes @Casiusco the Hammer films are some of my fav horror go-to movies! 🙌

Want the Bourne franchise to come out with a 4K, REMASTERED new transfers sets, this deserves a Premium!! :)

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 4:02 AM, GuyIncognit0 said:

Last night I ventured into the horror genre and watched Misery starring James Caan and Kathy Bates (Oscar winning performance). I was pretty tense throughout but enjoyed it overall.

I don't know why... but I had not seen this movie until few days ago.

I liked it a lot. It's a good demonstration that it's possible to make a good intense movie based on characters, great actors, and a starting situation.

Today if someone doesn't add 15 explosions they wouldn't do it anymore.

On 7/15/2022 at 6:48 PM, Gary K said:

While I'm bummed I missed this in the theater, the new 4K disc (with Dolby Atmos) gave my home theater a real workout and is certainly reference quality in many ways.

As for the film - HOLY stop using inappropriate language.  This is certainly one of the very best of the year (so far).  A fairly standard revenge tale set in viking times is elevated by the most gorgeous cinematography, production design, sound design and acting that this genre has any right to expect.  Insane, no cut action sequences and hyper violence expertly delivered by Eggars and his crew are so bonkers that I can't wait to watch this again.

Skaarsgard is perfectly cast in the lead role and brings a necessary animalistic energy to the violent action scenes and a somewhat unexpected vulnerability to the thematic elements.   The rest of the cast (particularly Kidman) are uniformly excellent as well.

But really I can't get over how amazing the movie LOOKS.  There are dozens of frames I'd hang on the wall.   

Too bad the movie was a box office disappointment and we won't soon see Eggars with this big a budget again.  Not that I'd mind another Witch or Lighthouse of course.

5/5 

image.png.7a92d00e6fe98d7e33f77f3efaa34253.png

One of the best movies of this year.

And no, it hasn't gotten the box office it deserved. In Spain it didn't have a bad box office, but not as good as it should have; not proportional to the film that it is. And I don't quite understand why; I can understand that there are people who find it difficult to see an auteur film that is very slow, complex, or that -simply- requires an effort that not everyone has/want to give. But I thought that "The Northman" was going to be more successful.

It's a great film, which takes a story that we have already seen many times in other stories..., and takes it one step further, giving it a more personal and even more realistic touch, traveling back to that dirty and bloody Ages, far from that papier-mâché staging that films usually offer us, where it seems that in each cabin each character has a Roomba working before shooting.

Blood, sweat, resentment, values, tears and hopes; envy, impulsive sex, hard life, scarce food, wild animals. Promises to keep, and fear of the unknown. An iron hierarchy, the ignorance of the people, and the need to fight. Where a life is worth no more than what a need is worth.

It's intense, it's entertaining, it's authentic.

And it has personality, it's not done on autopilot, no; here every detail is taken care of, clean or dirty, majestic or terrible.

I loved it. And I hope I get the chance to buy a big, flashy, awesome collector's edition when someone gets up the courage to put one together.

And even at the risk of saying something politically incorrect, honestly, I think that if this film is "difficult" for the new generations -who today decide most of the box office- then socially we have a problem. A serious problem.

On 7/27/2022 at 9:41 PM, MikeH5856 said:

Watched Nightcrawler last night - really good, slow burn noir. Jake Gyllenhaal plays psychopaths way too well, and I was constantly curious to see what he would do next. It's a really neat update on the photojournalistic exploits of Weegee cast into the modern-day luridness of the TV news industry. Well worth checking out, IMO (although I may be among the last to see this...it came out nearly a decade ago now...LOL).

image.jpeg.dec523e66357a592db68945963829dbf.jpeg

A good film, really interesting, which -I don't know why- went unnoticed in many countries; unfairly in my opinion.

And yes, Jake Gyllenhaal does an impressive job.

But I would like to highlight how well directed the entire film is; it was very easy to fall into clichés, underlines and habitual exaggerations, but Gilroy keeps the film in a very consistent defined and interesting line.

On 8/4/2022 at 4:52 PM, Reagh said:

Recently watched the Kino release of Touch of Evil. What a masterpiece! I had never seen the Reconstructed version based on Orson Welles’ original vision. WOW. I can’t recommend this enough. The Dolby Vision really shines on this release. 8/10 

14BEA23B-2CDB-4831-B5C6-277E37B70DDB.jpeg.6219d188ed0a0a0930c3ef9689a493dd.jpeg

It's never a bad day to see this classic again. In fact, diving between the different versions, and the memorandums or shooting stories, is a good experience to understand how the industry worked then, to perceive how a great film is created, and to get even closer to Welles's art. 

• Like 4

Yesterday I had the opportunity to see two movies, one at home, "The Green Knight", and another at the cinema, "Vortex".

The Green Knight, (David Lowery, 2021)

Greenbanner.jpg

Anyone who has seen "A Ghost Story" already knows that Lowery -as a director- has his own point of view, which is reflected in his conception of the staging, of the dialogues, of the silences, and of the treatment of those intangibles sensations that the characters perceive -and that they transmit to the viewer- through very careful shots, where calm, aesthetic care, and great doubts about our existence, collide with intensity without making much noise.

As if we were infiltrating an foreign scene and allowed to find the truth there.

"The Green Knight" tells a medieval legend, where from the beginning we are made to feel that it will be told in a special way. It's a legend, and at the same time a fantastic fable, told not from the point of view of current spectators, but rather calmly offering the point of view of that reality and those people -fears, honor- as a possibility, in a very personal way, where even the public adventure has something of an intimate fact.

Lowery has that necessary talent to achieve that, when he tells something more personally, more subjectively, and out of the ordinary, it comes to seem more realistic, closer. Almost poetic.

I liked this film.

Vortex (Gaspar Noé, 2021)

870x489_6806a7_896b10306bea4113b32b93e82

Noé is well known both for his obvious cinematographic skills, as well as for his lysergic baroque, and his provocative ambition. He has never made a film that left us indifferent.

"Vortex" narrates -or rather, shows- the last days of an elderly couple where the mental and the abilities degradation typical of advanced age, and the consequences of the wear that is often reached after being 80 years old, consumes -and destroys- everything.

He is too old to have the autonomy or mental clarity that he had before, and he has serious heart problems; she has Alzheimer's, and some days she doesn't even recognize her husband, or leaves the door open. It's a small family, they only have their son to help them, and their son already has enough deep problems to do a lot for them.

A priori, it doesn't seem like a Gaspar Noé film, accustomed to the intensity and movement of "Irreversible", with Vicent Cassell and Monica Belluci, including the most controversial rape scene in cinema; or after the impact of "Climax", where Noé uses all kinds of stylistic, visual, experimental and narrative resources to make us feel the disorientation, sensuality, terror and tragedy of a group of people who were drugged at a party, inspired on a real story happened in France in 1996.

However, Noé has made here a brilliant, deep, serious, difficult, sometimes hard film; proposing a meeting point between his formal baroque style, and the necessary minimalism when more than telling a story, he wanted to reflect a day to day, some existences, the time that slips through hands, and the life that goes by.

The screen splits in two at all the film, and after a start where one half follows him (Dario Argento, splendid as actor) and the other half follows her (Francoise Lebrun, brilliant in a role full of nuances and far from the usual pathos in these situations), we soon see that these two halves also serve to show us different points of view of the same scene, or other spaces or other characters.

Noé doesn't make a decrepit and silent film, but rather a film where the viewer is invited to immerse himself in the messy and decaying apartment of these two old persons, through being able to contrast the images, words, characters and situations that appear in the two halves of the screen. He continues to experiment as he usually does, but this time there is no need to be explosive or baroque.

The intense and the baroque is in the tragedy of two elderly people who see how their minds -and their lives- abandon them little by little, already very close to the end.

What I liked most about the film is that it is not tear-jerking; it's not a film that seeks to sadden the public, and achieve easy tears. Simply, it confirms a situation, with a refined and tangible realism, that allows us to see the story from the outside, and at the same time recognize it in all of us who have been able to see a similar experience in our family, in our friends, or in our neighborhood.

There is no plane that pretends to make us feel sad. There are no moments of sugar. It's reality, nothing more; through the No'e cared point of view. And we can say that Noé has held back, being very detailed but ignoring the parts of their day to day that could have been more uncomfortable to watch.

It does not try to reflect -or show- the decrepitude, the dirt, or to make the viewer feel uncomfortable. No. He never lets his characters lose their dignity. They are people: not a spectacle.

It's a film that shows the disorientation, and the life that goes away, without being able to avoid it. And that tries to make this disorientation materialize in the dialogues -the conversations- after each small incident of everyday life. Showing how they deal with it, how they feel. Extremely realistic, and unexpectedly contained.

And only at the end, some stylistic licenses are allowed reflecting that longing for life that is leaving. What remains to those who remain. Perhaps therein lies one of the greatest merits of directing: being able to put an end to life, and offer a dignified and endearing -and poetic- look at that moment.

You will find people who say that it is a hard film to watch; but the hard thing is not the film itself, or what it shows, but the story behind it. The one we will all face one day.

It's really well made film. And yes, even with this plot it's also a true Gaspar Noé film. Be sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

🥤📺🎬💽 :) watching DVR…

Resident Alien - SYFY channel

A crash-landed alien takes on the identity of a small-town Colorado doctor and slowly begins to wrestle with the moral dilemma of his secret mission on Earth.

01/27/2021
Resident Alien S1 Ep1
"Pilot"

On Resident Alien Season 1 Episode 1, an alien hiding in a small Colorado town meets the locals when they ask him to help solve a murder.

An alien hiding in a small Colorado town meets the locals when they ask him to help solve a murder.

image.jpeg.a81d123b6da71b234a0aa7feb1ac8b52.jpeg 

image.jpeg.403aa8a8087f00cd9d86f2fc8e7238fd.jpeg

Resident Alien S1 Ep2
"Homesick"

On Resident Alien Season 1 Episode 2, during his first week at the clinic, Harry struggles to diagnose strange feelings he's having: human emotion.

Edited by Veum
  • Like 3

🥤📺🎬💽 :) watching DVR…

Red Election - Ovation channel

Red Election is an international spy drama television series. The story follows a British intelligence agent (Lydia Leonard) and a Danish secret service agent (Victoria Carmen Sonne) who team up to stop a Russian terrorist attack in Britain.The 10-part series premiered as a Viaplay Original on 3 October 2021.

S1 Ep1 - MI5 agent Beatrice Ogilvie is warned of an impending terrorist attack. Beatrice suspects that the Danish Secret Service agent Katrine Poulsen is involved and set a trap for her.

image.jpeg.e5490289c172fb37ee93e60e1e0aeede.jpeg

• ★ Administrators ★

image.thumb.png.b6a53853cb737b1e85df47936d29b5ba.png

David Leitch has cultivated a distinctive action style mixed with a particular brand of winking humor that are in absolutely full effect in the new Bullet Train. Not particularly grounded by the laws of physics or the human bodies actual limits, Leitch is far more concerned with what looks jaw droppingly cool.

Here we have a group of assassins converging on a high speed train in Japan for various reasons that gradually coalesce. The plot is less interesting than the action, which is to be expected, but this is elevated by the charm of the cast, the humor of the script and, particularly, Pitt's performance as a "snatch and grab" criminal having a crisis of self about his self diagnosed bad luck. Pitt is all grizzled charm and shines in one of his rare purely action roles. Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Bryan Tyree Henry are also terrific as the "twins".

The hand to hand fighting is great fun and as the volume gets turned up higher and higher it becomes absolutely bonkers and absurd. The third act gets particularly violent as well.

Of course Leitch also employs a host of high profile cameos - many of whom appeared in Deadpool 2 and Hobbs & Shaw to great effect.

Ultimately, this was fluff, but highly entertaining fluff to be sure.

4/5

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

🥤📺🎬💽 :) watching Prime Video…

Below The Fold (2021)

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3

Without a trace, Susie Potter vanished from her home in the quiet town of Skidmore, Missouri. Ten years later two reporters uncover a harrowing new detail, which leads them on an obsessive hunt for the truth through the dark labyrinth of rural northwest Missouri. 

UPDATE: Pretty nice creepy slow-burn little crime drama where people in a small town do not want to talk about the secrets/crimes of some very sad possible murders put upon young girls that happened a decade or so ago. I so much enjoyed the cinematography and the perfect outdoor shots through out this film. 3.5/5

Edited by Veum

• ★ Administrators ★

image.thumb.jpeg.d3bfb005e09a1b49f7dc2dcedc95b7bd.jpeg

The Mack daddy of low budget gonzo horror filmmaking that changed my horror loving life when I saw it back in the early 80s.  

After Fangoria featured it, I couldn’t wait to rent it and when I finally did I was blown away by the gore, the shaky cam, the legitimately terrifying scares and the overall sense that anything was possible in a horror film.  

I’ve seen this dozens of times, but not in the past five or so years, so how better to pass yet another hot as fork August night than one of my favorite fall movies.  

It still holds up so well and Raimi’s eye was truly amazing even back here.  The way he frames action and uses the fore and background to build tension and dread.  His beguiling POV work was way ahead of its time.  Not to mention the unhinged, slapstick action brought to bear by Bruce Campbell.  

A classic for a reason.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gary K said:

image.thumb.jpeg.d3bfb005e09a1b49f7dc2dcedc95b7bd.jpeg

The Mack daddy of low budget gonzo horror filmmaking that changed my horror loving life when I saw it back in the early 80s.  

After Fangoria featured it, I couldn’t wait to rent it and when I finally did I was blown away by the gore, the shaky cam, the legitimately terrifying scares and the overall sense that anything was possible in a horror film.  

I’ve seen this dozens of times, but not in the past five or so years, so how better to pass yet another hot as fork August night than one of my favorite fall movies.  

It still holds up so well and Raimi’s eye was truly amazing even back here.  The way he frames action and uses the fore and background to build tension and dread.  His beguiling POV work was way ahead of its time.  Not to mention the unhinged, slapstick action brought to bear by Bruce Campbell.  

A classic for a reason.

I’m not into blatant gore per say (so I’ll never see these types most likely) & I do not really enjoy any type of comedic attempts in most of my horror films (i.e. the popular Return of the Living Dead … just not my ‘cup of tea’ with my horror films), however there are exceptions like An American Werewolf in London which had both & on the comedic part the classic Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein! 🙌

And believe you me I do have a lot of “horror” films that I enjoy!! 🎃 

Edited by Veum

• ★ Administrators ★
7 minutes ago, Veum said:

I’m not into blatant gore per say (so I’ll never see these types most likely) & I do not really enjoy any type of comedic attempts in most of my horror films (i.e. the popular Return of the Living Dead … just not my ‘cup of tea’ with my horror films), however there are exceptions like An American Werewolf in London which had both & on the comedic part the classic Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein! 🙌

And believe you me I do have a lot of “horror” films that I enjoy!! 🎃 

I respect that my friend, but you should know that the original Evil Dead has ZERO comedic elements.  Evil Dead 2 is where the series began to add comedy.   

• Thanks 1

Just watched Apocalypse Now for the 4th times and man I wish I would get into a car crash that result in a deep coma making me forget all of my memories then experience this spectacular of a movie again like the first time. The incredible visuals, dialogues, soundtrack etc are just chef's kiss 👌 Why can't we get more movies like this nowadays?

robert duvall i love the smell of napalm in the morning GIF by The Good Films

Awards

🥤📺🎬💽 :) watching (1st time watch! 😯)…

265026_medium.jpg?t=1585035238

Talented but unproven stock car driver gets a break and with the guidance of a veteran driver turns heads on the track

UPDATE: not as good as I had hoped, the only real thing I enjoyed was the REAL NASCAR racing in the film. 3/5

Edited by Veum
  • Like 1