Basil

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• ★ Administrators ★

image.jpeg.e5f9720ca6c4eef990ec9426bfa37f06.jpeg

A terrific, blood soaked, cosmic horror two hander from Rebekah McKendry.  

The disembodied voice of J.K. Simmons perfectly animates the old god Ghat and Ryan Kwanten is back doing a squirrelly, unhinged protagonist as the two duel and debate over the fate of the universe in a road stop bathroom.  

Streaming on Shudder and well worth your time. 

Looking forward to McKendry’s next effort - hopefully with an even bigger budget just so long as she keeps hosting Colors Of The Dark.

3.5/5

• Like 1

NOW SHOWING movie theatre sign home theater decor

🥤📺🎬💽 :) watched DVR…

image.gif.ff8658edd74eed04c5e02f88cb09ab5a.gif 

Shield For Murder (1954)

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3

When a brutal police detective Lt. murders a bookmaker's runner for $25,000 in cash, a deaf mute sees him do it and now he finds he must kill again to cover his tracks.

UPDATE: A good film noir where a detective turns into a murderous criminal for greed. 4/5

The Marine 5: Battleground

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3

A war veteran EMT finds himself defending a man from a biker gang intent on landing their quarry.

UPDATE: I enjoyed this typical hero against bikers caper with realistic hits! 3.5/5

The Marine 6: Close Quarters

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3

Jake Carter and another former Marine, Luke Trapper, join forces to rescue a kidnapped girl from a gang of international criminals.

UPDATE: plenty of action but not quite upto par for me… 2.5/5

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

🥤📺🎬💽 :) watched…

Tell No One

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.explicit.bing.net%

An accidental discovery near a doctor's estate stirs up some painful memories eight years after his wife's hideous murder, and now, things are bound to take a turn for the unexpected. Does the good doctor know more than he's letting on? 

UPDATE: An ok mystery/thriller but was drawn out to much for me and the subtitles too fast. 3/5

• Like 1

🥤📺🎬💽 :) watching…

274748_medium.jpg?t=1597412918

While traveling through the California desert for a business appointment, David Mann passes a smoky tanker truck. A game of cat-and-mouse quickly escalates into a life-and-death battle between David and the unseen trucker, with their vehicles as weapons. 

UPDATE: Excellent film, just my ‘cup of tea’. An exciting, thrilling “DUEL” with a great performance from Dennis Weaver and not being able to see the Truck driver enhanced the deadly ‘cat-and-mouse “DUEL”, love it!! Definitely would love this as a Premium!!! 5/5

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

• ★ Administrators ★
On 8/22/2022 at 6:42 PM, Veum said:

🥤📺🎬💽 :) watching…

274748_medium.jpg?t=1597412918

While traveling through the California desert for a business appointment, David Mann passes a smoky tanker truck. A game of cat-and-mouse quickly escalates into a life-and-death battle between David and the unseen trucker, with their vehicles as weapons. 

UPDATE: Excellent film, just my ‘cup of tea’. An exciting, thrilling “DUEL” with a great performance from Dennis Weaver and not being able to see the Truck driver enhanced the deadly ‘cat-and-mouse “DUEL”, love it!! Definitely would love this as a Premium!!! 5/5

Love Duel as well.  

• Like 1

🥤📺🎬💽 :) watching Prime Video…

SAMARITAN

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3

Sam is the 13-year-old son of a single mom in Granite City, a gritty metropolis that exists in a comic-book America. Sam thinks a mysterious loner named Joe living in Sam's apartment complex is a missing superhero. Joe denies Sam's theory but becomes a mentor to Sam ... 

UPDATE: A highly enjoyable super-hero romp with a great performance from Sly… the man still has the chops for me! 4.5/5

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

🥤📺🎬💽 :) watching from our local library

257539_medium.jpg?t=1654150262

Welcome back to Downton. With stunning revelations, glamorous journeys, and the arrival of the Jazz Age, DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA will be the Crawleys' biggest adventure yet as they grapple with their future and new intrigue about the past. 

UPDATE: A delightful new film of Downton Abbey that I enjoyed immensely… the ending was so 😢 for me … 5/5

• Like 2

🥤📺🎬💽 :) watching 

206772_medium.jpg?t=1527918701

In the year 1589 six innocent women were accused from the inquisition of witchery in the Small ligurian mountain and burned. One of the last women were burned was offered by daemon Pazuzu on condition that she swear eternal loyalty and obedience that he will give her the possibility of revenge on the responsibilities and on the people of the mountain. In 20th century the burned women were reborn as evils formed shapes. In the year 2009 some scary occurrences and ritual murders happen. So the Vatican sends the exorcist "Don Gabriele" to investigate.

146200_medium.jpg?t=1604846528

Baron Victor Frankenstein, in prison for murder and trying to evade the guillotine, tells a priest how he and his mentor, Paul Krempe, had performed many scientific experiments, eventually leading to the resurrection of a dead body. The baron's obsession and the monster's homicidal nature cause the deaths of several of those around them. Finally the Baron is confronted by an enraged monster about to throw Victor's fiancée Elizabeth, from the castle parapet...

Edited by Veum

🥤📺🎬💽 :) 🎃 👻 watching…

The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)

159686_medium.jpg?t=1621110484

Peter Cushing reprises his famous role as Baron Victor Frankenstein in this horror classic. Rescued from the guillotine by his devoted crippled assistant Fritz, the Baron relocates and becomes Dr. Stein. Under the guise of charity work, he continues his gruesome experiments, this time transplanting Fritz's brain into his latest creation: a normal, healthy body. 

UPDATE: another great hammer Dr Frankenstein saga with the amazing Peter Cushing at the helm. Enjoy the exquisite production sets and the chilling atmosphere. Never get tired of watching these classic! :)

263041_medium.jpg?t=1582088191

Penniless, Baron Frankenstein, accompanied by his eager assistant Hans, arrives at his family castle near the town of Karlstaad, vowing to continue his experiments in the creation of life. Fortuitously finding the creature he was previously working on, he brings it back to a semblance of life but requires the services of a mesmerist, Zoltan, to successfully animate it. The greedy and vengeful Zoltan secretly sends the monster into town to steal gold and 'punish' the burgomaster and the chief of police, which acts lead to a violent confrontation between the baron and the townspeople... 

UPDATE: Another classic gem from Hammer/Universal international co-production this time with Peter Cushing revising his great role as Dr Frankenstein. The production sets are marvelous again and I just love all the detail of the lab. I really like the look of this monster and wished they would have utilized him much more1

Edited by Veum

Finally saw it yesterday: Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness. Even though I won't give away much of the story, I'll put it in the spoiler box just to be on the safe side...

Spoiler

Here's the negative:
- the sound doesn't blow me away; but the movie itself can't really do anything for that, it's more a technical thing and a Disney problem. When Gargantos comes along, I just expect it to tear up my home theater. Too bad...
- I just don't buy Wanda's emotional connection to the kids. I don't really feel for it.
- Who complained about the bear in Prey again? Well, the death mask of Strange I find a lot more grottier. Who was at work there? Or is that some Sam Raimi reference I didn't catch? Regardless, the mask could have looked better....
- There are more minor points (among others, I don't think America Chavez's role is fleshed out that great), but that otherwise makes it too long here.

And now the positive:
- I just like Benedict Cumberbatch in the role! I think he fits the type 100%. Fortunately, they have not pulled him again so ridiculous as partly in Spiderman NWH. He carries the film.
- I also liked this slight swing towards the horror genre. Since one recognized already at one or the other place clearly Raimi's handwriting. And the fact that it's a bit harder does the whole thing good. Even if you want to stay family-friendly and in the lower FSK rating.
- The CGIs are really good (I really liked the fight with Gargantos) and the change between the multiverses always keeps a certain pace, even if I think that the plot does not really give that here.
- I also like the multiverse idea. What this means in terms of new possibilities can be seen in the appearance of the Illuminati. Even if the strength of the Scarlett Witch in the fight against them (and also in some other places) is too exaggerated for me.

Overall, the positive outweighs the negative for me. Somehow I have the feeling that the films still do not reach the quality of the first 3 phases. But still I felt well entertained. Gives from me 7 out of 10 points.

• Like 3

🥤📺🎬💽 :) 🎃 👻 watching from our DVR…

Chucky

S1 E3 - “I Like to Be Hugged” - Chucky reminices about his first murder, urging Jake to make a choice of killing or be killed.

S1 E4 - “Just Let Go” - Jake’s bond with Devon intensifies as he teams up with an unlikely ally to outwit Chucky. 

UPDATE: I am enjoying the TV version of Chucky especially when he is on full display… the production sets are real nice (I need to get ahold of the steelbook!)! :)

image.jpeg.fc645edd6593c17523ab9a58c34cb343.jpeg

The terrifying tale of Salem's Lot continues in the shocking and satirical A Return To Salem's Lot! Beneath the quaint, picture-perfect exterior of a small New England community lurks an unsettling, undead evil: vampires. When fresh blood comes to town in the form of amoral anthropologist Joe Weber and his son Jeremy, the vampires employ the father to document their story. But when the stakes are raised, Joe must take on the hellish horde or lose his son ... and his soul.

UPDATE: Extremely disappointed was hoping for more of a serious vampire movie and not this inconceivable silly mess for me.

Edited by Veum

50 minutes ago, Gentleman said:

Finally saw it yesterday: Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness. Even though I won't give away much of the story, I'll put it in the spoiler box just to be on the safe side...

Hide contents

Here's the negative:
- the sound doesn't blow me away; but the movie itself can't really do anything for that, it's more a technical thing and a Disney problem. When Gargantos comes along, I just expect it to tear up my home theater. Too bad...
- I just don't buy Wanda's emotional connection to the kids. I don't really feel for it.
- Who complained about the bear in Prey again? Well, the death mask of Strange I find a lot more grottier. Who was at work there? Or is that some Sam Raimi reference I didn't catch? Regardless, the mask could have looked better....
- There are more minor points (among others, I don't think America Chavez's role is fleshed out that great), but that otherwise makes it too long here.

And now the positive:
- I just like Benedict Cumberbatch in the role! I think he fits the type 100%. Fortunately, they have not pulled him again so ridiculous as partly in Spiderman NWH. He carries the film.
- I also liked this slight swing towards the horror genre. Since one recognized already at one or the other place clearly Raimi's handwriting. And the fact that it's a bit harder does the whole thing good. Even if you want to stay family-friendly and in the lower FSK rating.
- The CGIs are really good (I really liked the fight with Gargantos) and the change between the multiverses always keeps a certain pace, even if I think that the plot does not really give that here.
- I also like the multiverse idea. What this means in terms of new possibilities can be seen in the appearance of the Illuminati. Even if the strength of the Scarlett Witch in the fight against them (and also in some other places) is too exaggerated for me.

Overall, the positive outweighs the negative for me. Somehow I have the feeling that the films still do not reach the quality of the first 3 phases. But still I felt well entertained. Gives from me 7 out of 10 points.

@Gentleman do you know if there is a Premium edition of this film anywhere at the moment? 🧐 

I so enjoy your detailed analysis of movies my friend (I do think it takes a real talent on being able to break-down in your own words the films we watch!):)

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Veum:

@Gentleman do you know if there is a Premium edition of this film anywhere at the moment? 🧐 

I so enjoy your detailed analysis of movies my friend (I do think it takes a real talent on being able to break-down in your own words the films we watch!):)

Thanks Mike, that's very kind of you! 🙏 To my knowledge, no retailer has announced a Premium yet. The only one that comes closest to a Premium at the moment is the one here at Zavvi…

https://www.zavvi.de/4k/marvel-studio-s-doctor-strange-in-the-multiverse-of-madness-zavvi-exclusive-collectors-edition-4k-ultra-hd-steelbook-includes-blu-ray/13883446.html

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Gentleman said:

Thanks Mike, that's very kind of you! 🙏 To my knowledge, no retailer has announced a Premium yet. The only one that comes closest to a Premium at the moment is the one here at Zavvi…

https://www.zavvi.de/4k/marvel-studio-s-doctor-strange-in-the-multiverse-of-madness-zavvi-exclusive-collectors-edition-4k-ultra-hd-steelbook-includes-blu-ray/13883446.html

I do like these w/slip case though! :) 🙌

13883446-1674965673682667.jpg

Marvel Studio's Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness Zavvi Exclusive Collectors Edition 4K Ultra HD Steelbook (includes Blu-ray)

• Like 1

🥤📺🎬💽 :) 🎃 👻 watching…

Sinister (Blu-ray)

Found footage helps a true-crime novelist realize how and why a family was murdered in his new home, though his discoveries put his entire family in the path of a supernatural entity.

UPDATE: really enjoyed the premise of this film and the cool production as well as the found footage with Mr Boogie in them! 😟 5/5

https://youtu.be/rnDwBSVKgsM

Edited by Veum
  • Like 1

🥤📺🎬💽 :) 🎃 👻 watched…

Sinister 2 (Blu-ray)

A young mother and her twin sons move into a rural house that's marked for death.

UPDATE: not nearly as entertaining as the original but did have some jump scares for me with some cool found footage Mr Boogie! 😳 3/5

Edited by Veum

I watched "The Northman" last night. I liked the setting very much. Everything is deliberately kept very dark, gray and dirty. The raw interaction in the film fits in with that. The story is not groundbreaking, it's simply about revenge, but this atmosphere, the great matching score and the great acting performance of Alexander Skarsgard (who you can see that he has prepared quite well for the role) make the whole thing a really good film, in my opinion.

Maybe a quick word about the technology: the sound comes through the speakers with decent power. With the already mentioned great score, this is of course a joy! Well done, Universal! In addition, I find the widescreen format chosen here by the director very suitable to reflect the nature and the vastness of the country well. Then it's also a native 4K disc, what more could you ask for! 😉

Conclusion: A very good film from Robert Eggers in my opinion, which now increases my anticipation for his film "The Witch" (which I also have not yet seen). And probably I should also watch Vikings as a series. 😅

By the way, also a very nice glossy steelbook, I think...

image.png.047cb926397cd1f638af1a670e2e82f4.png

• Like 1

🥤📺🎬💽 :) 🎃 👻 watched…

The Haunting in Connecticut (Blu-ray)

When their son Matt receives a diagnosis of cancer, Sara and Peter Campbell move to Connecticut to be closer to his doctors. At first all is well, but then Matt becomes increasingly disturbed by what appears to be paranormal activity. Sara turns to a priest for help, and the ghosts are seemingly banished — but Matt's condition takes a sudden and unexplained turn for the worse, and the lives of Sara and the rest of her family are endangered.

UPDATE: A pretty good spooky, haunting film. Suppose to be true and if, I would be 😱31/2/5

Edited by Veum

🥤📺🎬💽 :) 🎃 👻 watched DVR…

Die, Monster, Die! (1965)

image.jpeg.6118f083466368bed14422102663fcb9.jpeg

Stephen Reinhart travels to a remote English village to visit his girlfriend Susan Whitley. From the moment he arrives in the village, it's clear that no one will speak of the Whitleys or even give him directions to the Whitley estate. Susan is happy to see him when he finally makes it there but her father Nahum tells him he must leave immediately. Susan and her bedridden mother Letitia are happy to have him stay but it's clear that Nahum Whitley has a secret, one that Susan isn't aware of, but is kept in the cellar of the house... 

UPDATE: An enjoyable little Saturday afternoon horror film for me as it has great production sets and has the great Boris Karloff! :) 5/5

Edited by Veum
  • Like 1

So, I was active again on the weekend....😀

On Saturday I watched "The Sadness". Already a hard movie, which I do not have to see right now at dinner. 😅 Point deduction there for the story, which is now (as actually also expected by me), not exactly innovative. Plus points are given for the fact that it has nevertheless not only become a pure zombie movie, but that it is also about how the bad in humans is brought to light and how it can express itself in shocking actions. And this one isn't just about pure murdering, as it often is in other movies. This lifts it slightly above average for me, I give it 6 out of 10 points.

On Sunday it was the turn of "Adam's Apples". What can I say, I think Anders Thomas Jensen's movies are simply brilliant! Already "Flickering Lights" and "The Green Butchers" were great. Here in "Adam's Apples" Jensen again serves so many clichés in such a black-humorous way that I can't keep from grinning.

Mini-Spoiler:

Spoiler

It's just great when here a priest who always believes in the good and has to die if he strays from it, a swearing and quick to pick up a gun Arab, a heavyweight thief who used to be a good tennis player and a Nazi (and later his troop) come together. And when the Nazi and the priest in the car then listen to "How deep is your love" by Take That, glorious! 😁

Despite all the black humor, the whole thing always has messages that make you think. And Mads Mikkelsen plays it just terrific. With Jensen and Mikkelsen, two people have simply sought and found each other, which fits together perfectly! But also the other actors are great in their roles and play top.

If you are a friend of black humor, this movie (and the others mentioned above) is definitely an absolute recommendation! For me, 10 out of 10 points and I'm already looking forward to "Riders of Justice", which I have here as a Mediabook, but have not yet seen.

• Like 1