• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

graphics text GIF

🥤📺🎬💽 :) 🍿🧋watched 

image.gif.ff8658edd74eed04c5e02f88cb09ab5a.gif 

Sat Mar 30 ‘24 

*Left Behind: Rise of the Antichrist (2023) ️ 

The only light after the world falls into chaos is a charming new leader who rises to the head of the UN, but does he bring hope for a better future? Or is it the end of the world?

Blacklight (2022)     ️ 

image.jpeg.dc09a69b632c0213abd5de8139d947d9.jpeg

Travis Block, a shadowy Government agent who specializes in removing operatives who's covers have been exposed, uncovers a deadly conspiracy within his own ranks that reaches the highest echelons of power.

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

Ok, so I binged and am totally caught up on . . .

IMG_1487.thumb.jpeg.34fe35444507e630f33d329948224a23.jpeg

Not quite as good as the first season, but very few things are.  Still really enjoyable and close enough to the first season’s quality that the final episode, next week, could potentially create a tie.  Followed by:

IMG_1300.thumb.jpeg.97e8796add973438cfca70c0a0025987.jpeg

Not as well executed as Infinity Pool, Cronenberg’s next one, but worth seeing.  Warning:  quite bloody/gory.

This one’s a rewatch but I’m realizing I’d only ever seen it on a much smaller screen:

IMG_1560.thumb.jpeg.c3d5320e332394427bc0ea950e853a76.jpeg

4K just looks amazing and seeing it on a bigger screen, there are just so many amazing shots.  I guess I’ve always underestimated this one visually among Coen films.  Great stuff; great tribute to M. Emmet Walsh who had the best performance in the movie.

One more old one:

IMG_1561.thumb.jpeg.5290b8fee4b2401e448478e52838ba39.jpeg

Brando really was something before he got lazy and/or pretentious.  Hadn’t seen this one since I was a kid.  The location and a great lineup of character actors really do a lot of great work here.

• Like 4

Does anyone else follow podcasts and watch the movies they watch?  Which podcast do you listen to?  I like the blank check podcast.  They pick a director and do a pod about each of their movies.  Right now they are doing John mctiernan.  Just watched last action hero.  They always have great commentary.

il_fullxfull.2495602615_gaby.thumb.jpg.667456b5525fe1066d9b18ecaaae0c15.jpg

• Like 6

On 3/31/2024 at 8:18 PM, jwhitm3 said:

Does anyone else follow podcasts and watch the movies they watch?  Which podcast do you listen to?  I like the blank check podcast.  They pick a director and do a pod about each of their movies.  Right now they are doing John mctiernan.  Just watched last action hero.  They always have great commentary.

il_fullxfull.2495602615_gaby.thumb.jpg.667456b5525fe1066d9b18ecaaae0c15.jpg

So, I often listen to the Rewatchables.  I’ve pretty much always seen the movie they’re discussing, just something to listen to for a laugh on the way to work, though sometimes it makes we want to, well, rewatch the movie.

I listen to Filmspotting, though not as often as I used to.  Good mix of covering what’s currently popular at the theater and also smaller, less well known films.  I enjoy their March Madness brackets every year, would probably be worthwhile to go back and listen to those for a new listener.

I sometimes listen to Unspooled, particularly going back through the AFI best-of list.  Listened to their Chinatown episode after I rewatched it in the theater last week.

For Hollywood/film history, I really enjoy You Must Remember This.  The host will have 8 or so episodes around some theme from Hollywood history.  Weirdly enough, her Manson & Hollywood series is one of the best Manson resources I’ve listened to or read.

I like Blank Check as well, usually go back through their archives and pick some film that I particularly like.

• Like 4

Honestly I felt bored watching this. As a gearhead I love driver/wheelman movies shows books lore etc so I am certainly willing to give this a fair shake. With that being said I didn't have a sense of enthusiasm or that feeling of being drawn in while watching as I have with other shows. I felt my attention wandering like...."did the stay puft marshmallow man actually stay puft and how the heck did he get like that to begin with". I'm hoping the second episode is better.

sxpra (5).jpeg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

Honestly I felt bored watching this. As a gearhead I love driver/wheelman movies shows books lore etc so I am certainly willing to give this a fair shake. With that being said I didn't have a sense of enthusiasm or that feeling of being drawn in while watching as I have with other shows. I felt my attention wandering like...."did the stay puft marshmallow man actually stay puft and how the heck did he get like that to begin with". I'm hoping the second episode is better.

sxpra (5).jpeg

I like the lead man especially when he was in Better Call Saul… I’ll keep watching! :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Veum said:

I like the lead man especially when he was in Better Call Saul… I’ll keep watching! :)

Yeah he's great in that and in The Boys certainly a fantastic actor. I don't doubt his acting prowess the episode just felt a bit meh to me that's all. As I said I'm hoping that changes come the second episode. 

• Like 2

I have finished my personal tour of "True Detective".

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIa_otyX2zFSJh7vdH-xA

Season One: Glorious. A small masterpiece, literally. Many should learn from it. And in fact, many copied from it. It's perfect.

Season Two: Underrated. It's the only one that goes out of the "True Detective" scheme, there's no thrill to find a culprit, and it's more of a gangster story than a typical "True Detective" story. But it's still interesting, no longer as good... but still interesting; a story with complex, compelling characters, where the plot takes a back seat in the first half of the season. I think the flaw was that people expected a Season 1 type of story, and that to make a season "only" about characters required a different type of director.

Season Three: Here Pizzolatto, after the criticism of Season 2, tried to do Season 1 again. He copied himself. And you have to admit that, although it's not as good as that first season, he manages to make a really good third season, very entertaining, and at a high level. I loved it. I thought it was very good. And it achieves a balance between investigation and character development that is very difficult to achieve.

Season four: it's entertaining, I had a good time, but apart from the fact that the ending disappointed me a bit, because it falls into certain current clichés, I think it's the lightest of them all. It's entertaining, but it's not True Detective, it's too superficial, it could have been called anything else. And the characters are a bit flat, far from the usual complexity that has been the hallmark of this series. Still, it's a good time.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

So, I often listen to the Rewatchables.  I’ve pretty much always seen the movie they’re discussing, just something to listen to for a laugh on the way to work, though sometimes it makes we want to, well, rewatch the movie.

I listen to Filmspotting, though not as often as I used to.  Good mix of covering what’s currently popular at the theater and also smaller, less well known films.  I enjoy their March Madness brackets every year, would probably be worthwhile to go back and listen to those for a new listener.

I sometimes listen to Unspooled, particularly going back through the AFI best-of list.  Listened to their Chinatown episode after I rewatched it in the theater last week.

For Hollywood/film history, I really enjoy You Must Remember This.  The host will have 8 or so episodes around some theme from Hollywood history.  Weirdly enough, her Manson & Hollywood series is one of the best Manson resources I’ve listened to or read.

I like Blank Check as well, usually go back through their archives and pick some film that I particularly like.

Rewatchables is good.  I'll have to check out the others you mentioned.  I have earbuds in for like 10 hours a day while I work so I'm always looking for more to listen to though right now I'm listening to an audio book 

• Like 2

🥤📺🎬💽 :) 🍿🧋watched 

image.gif.ff8658edd74eed04c5e02f88cb09ab5a.gif 

Wed Apr 3 ‘24 

The Magnificent Seven (1960)     1/2

image.jpeg.166e5e4b1eeb7d979c0c695d3defa436.jpeg

A bandit terrorizes a small Mexican farming village each year. Several of the village elders send three of the farmers into the United States to search for gunmen to defend them. They end up with 7, each of whom comes for a different reason. They must prepare the town to repulse an army of over 100 bandits who will arrive wanting food.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, hansreinhardt said:

I watched this recently, found a used BD at a record store for $1.99. What did you think of the movie? 

I thought it was pretty good I enjoyed it. I saw it as a kid then again once before and it came to mind recently because I was reading something about Charlie Sheen. A solid 90s film in my humble opinion. I forgot about the ending so seeing that again was a shocker.

Edited by LeadFarmer
  • Like 4