What did you watch last night???

Basil

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_1237.thumb.jpeg.37153bdfd5bb54eae1cefce0704a3c20.jpeg

Well, it is what it’s reputation says it is and it’s always as satisfying as I remember it being.  

When I was a kid, I thought old movies were cheesy and kind of simple minded.  Now, especially compared to what we normally get now, the characters in the great movies like this one seem so dark, cynical and complex.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

MV5BMTgzODgyNTQwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzc0NTc0Mg@@._V1_.thumb.jpg.460b642d2b582764bbb981d247e991cb.jpg

Love this one, always had a thing for the solitude in the atmosphere it exudes. 4K disc is aces. Score is beautiful. Sam Rockwell always excellent, here no exception. Miniatures aren't totally convincing but I love the aesthetic. I think some of the ideas get a little stale as it progresses, it doesn't ever go quite as deep as I feel it should. But for what it is, it's great. 

• Like 8

On 3/8/2024 at 11:31 PM, Nadam said:

Sátántangó (Satan's Tango) was a 7 & 1/2 hour masterpiece that I am SO GLAD I finally sat down and experienced in its entirety. This was a cinematic experience that impressed me in so many ways, and I can now understand why it still stays high at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

This film is definitely not for everyone, as it is 7 hours and 30 minutes long (divided up into 12 chapters with an intermission), and also isn't what movie watchers with short attention spans will appreciate (no offense). To give you an idea, the average time for a scene in most Hollywood movies is 2-3 seconds, but the average time of each scene in this movie is 2 minutes and 30 minutes -- which I LOVE!!!

This movie allows so many scenes to play out in ways that most movies never allow to happen. From watching every day tasks, conversations (facial expressions, etc.), and even 2-3 minute walking scenes in harsh elements where the camera just endlessly follows people walking down dirt roads and such with no talking, this film permits so many mundane, yet beautiful moments to breathe in ways that we aren't accustomed to nowadays.

It is flawless storytelling that not everyone will enjoy, but diehard movie buffs and cinephiles will adore this work of art. The goal of this breathtaking cinematography was to heavily immerse the viewer into the dark, depressing and incredibly harsh lives these citizens of this small town experience after their country (Hungary) fell apart financially after the fall of Communism. So, these exceedingly long shots aren't meant to cut away from the simplest or most basic of daily tasks, because you as the viewer need to see the poor lives they live.

If you ever want to take your movie-watching experience to the next level, legendary filmmaker Belá Tarr's "Sátántangó" is a MUST! And, you can watch each chapter, then watch another whenever you have time for more. I watched it all in one go today, and I couldn't be happier! Just please make sure to eliminate all distractions to truly appreciate the hard work that went into this film.

spacer.png

Thank you very much for telling us about your experience.

You have reminded me that I haven't seen her for a long time. I have to do it again. But I need the right day. To be alone, with plenty of free time, rested, and an open mind.

It will be a good day. ;) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Casiusco said:

Thank you very much for telling us about your experience.

You have reminded me that I haven't seen her for a long time. I have to do it again. But I need the right day. To be alone, with plenty of free time, rested, and an open mind.

It will be a good day. ;) 

Same.  I’ve had this one bookmarked on Kanopy for probably a year, but I want to watch it, if not in one sitting then at least in one day with small breaks.  Unfortunately I have few days off work; when I have them I’m usually doing something with Heywood Jr.  Really want to watch it, I love a slow paced, deliberate film when I have time to soak in it, like a nice warm bath.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

57 minutes ago, Heywoodmoutaw said:

Same.  I’ve had this one bookmarked on Kanopy for probably a year, but I want to watch it, if not in one sitting then at least in one day with small breaks.  Unfortunately I have few days off work; when I have them I’m usually doing something with Heywood Jr.  Really want to watch it, I love a slow paced, deliberate film when I have time to soak in it, like a nice warm bath.

I couldn't have described it better.

And I don't have much time to be able to do it either. But I work hard to buy time, and someday I'll have a good week. ;) 

• Like 5

Had the windows open today and was watching this. My neighbor who's a sweetheart yelled over if everything was ok she kept hearing screaming and thought someone was hurt. Oh no ma'am just watching a movie..."oh my that's a relief I thought you were injured or something". She thought Chris Rock who of course is playing Ruby Rhod screaming through the whole shootout scene was me.

sxpra.jpeg

• Haha 9

21 minutes ago, hansreinhardt said:

Finally watched my 4K copy of Videodrome last night. Such a good movie. Arrow did a fantastic job with that release. 

videodrome.thumb.jpg.2ebb8cc7e99746e6f8d69f5daa80525f.jpg

Absolutely!  Long live the new flesh!  Great movie, great transfer.  I’m pretty much a Cronenberg fanboy, and I think this is his best work.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

I'm assuming you're an IU guy, and not a Purdue fan.

Stop Motion No GIF by Mouse 

I’m all Boilermakers this year as Zach Edey is one of my fav players of all-times GO BIG FELLA… BOILER UP! 🏀 

However I can change teams and whatever sports I’m watching at the time (The Big Ten Conference is my fav among college sports❣️) from year-to-year depending on the players!! 😉

• Like 2