Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

In that order:

What's all the fuss about?

Didn't see it.

QT's greatest masterpiece.

and.gif

Power of the Dog was good, but overhyped.

Last Duel was good, but it’s not something I’d watch again.

Jackie Brown is a masterpiece! I can watch that movie 100 times over.

The Batman was freaking incredible.😈🤤

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Awards

1 minute ago, damships said:

Power of the Dog was good, but overhyped.

Last Duel was good, but it’s not something I’d watch again.

Jackie Brown is a masterpiece! I can watch that movie 100 times over.

The Batman was freaking incredible.😈🤤

I keep hearing about this "Power of the Dog" but have not seen a single preview for it. Everyone loves it - I need to check it out.  I haven't seen The Last Duel yet but I'm sure I would fall into the same category.

I rewatched Ex Machina last night because I'm thinking of pursuing another slip for it. It's still good 😁

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

I keep hearing about this "Power of the Dog" but have not seen a single preview for it. Everyone loves it - I need to check it out.  I haven't seen The Last Duel yet but I'm sure I would fall into the same category.

I rewatched Ex Machina last night because I'm thinking of pursuing another slip for it. It's still good 😁

Ex Machina is freaking great! Love that movie. 

Power of the Dog is just a really SLOW film. Like super, super, slow. The performances and screenplay is great, but it's definitely an Oscar bait film. I liked Last Duel a lot better, but considering the content of that film, I'm not sure I'd watch it a second time. 

• Like 1

Awards

1 hour ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

Power of the dog is a film I respect more than I enjoy/like. 

• Like 1

Finally watched Nightmare Alley (both the 1947 and 2021 films). I enjoyed them both quite a bit. I think the original is slightly better, though I deeply respect and admire what Del Toro did with the modern remake - I think he made some interesting choices (some of which work better than others). The performances by Cooper and Power as Stan are phenomenal in both, though I find Power's magnetism and charisma special in his portrayal.

Bradley Cooper GIF by Searchlight Pictures

Overall, I'd say both are definitely worth watching.

---

I'll be watching The Batman in IMAX in a few hours and I'm super excited!

tim burton batman GIF by Tech Noir

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wtd said:

Finally watched Nightmare Alley (both the 1947 and 2021 films). I enjoyed them both quite a bit. I think the original is slightly better, though I deeply respect and admire what Del Toro did with the modern remake - I think he made some interesting choices (some of which work better than others). The performances by Cooper and Power as Stan are phenomenal in both, though I find Power's magnetism and charisma special in his portrayal.

Bradley Cooper GIF by Searchlight Pictures

Overall, I'd say both are definitely worth watching.

---

I'll be watching The Batman in IMAX in a few hours and I'm super excited!

tim burton batman GIF by Tech Noir

Maybe I’ll give Nightmare Alley a shot. Some people’s reactions to it kinda turned me off, but it looks intriguing. 

Prepare to jizz in your pants at the IMAX. Andy Samberg Ew GIF

Only complaint about the IMAX was there really wasn’t any shifting aspect ratios. I was under the impression he had used IMAX cameras, but was wrong. But still a better picture/sound experience. 

• Like 1

Awards

image.thumb.png.f4c6fcaf29dce5aee8c2835da0c060dc.png

Watched PIG last night. Upon finishing it I felt like it was pretty good, well made and acted. But after reflecting on it for a little while and having a few key details dawn on me I would put this in the good/very good range. If I had to use stars?: 3.5/5

Nic Cage shows that he still has acting chops - which makes me tentatively excited for "The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent".

The story basically follows the ultimate cooking bad@$$ on a journey to find his stolen truffle pig. He is basically the John Wick of the cooking world but he "kills" people with kindness and by giving them once-in-a-lifetime experiences through his cooking. There are definitely some hokey/ridiculous elements but overall it stays grounded.

I think the theme can best be summed up by one of the movies quotes: "We don't get a lot of things to really care about." But it is also about loss and forgiveness.

It is a slow movie that, for me, went by quickly - which I enjoy. Give it a shot if is sounds up your alley!

Edited by notdan
Spelling
  • Like 4

image.png.2970b68f46d0581faf5b624b829996f4.png

I binged Archive 81 in a day. It’s well written with an intriguing storyline. There was one good jump scare that got me.

Spoiler

Melody and Dan are in the supermarket and they are getting pineapple sodas. Melody leaves and Cassandra enters. She threatens Dan to stay away before reaching through the camera and attempting to choke him.

I can’t wait/hope for season 2. Very good cliffhanger.

• Like 2

image.thumb.png.762c02480331fa2dabca8d98e0b53b67.pngI watched “The Batman” last night and damn it was awesome. 9/10. I love the noir detective style and hope it continues for the sequels. Robert played a good Batman and Zoe is now my favorite Catwoman. It was super long though lol. Haven’t seen a 3 hour movie in a theater since LOTR. I can’t wait for the premiums for this movie. 

• Like 6

Just now, RockinRaccoon said:

image.thumb.png.762c02480331fa2dabca8d98e0b53b67.pngI watched “The Batman” last night and damn it was awesome. 9/10. I love the noir detective style and hope it continues for the sequels. Robert played a good Batman and Zoe is now my favorite Catwoman. It was super long though lol. Haven’t seen a 3 hour movie in a theater since LOTR. I can’t wait for the premiums for this movie. 

Yes! That was my only critique really was the length. But it’s a solid Batman film. I’m gonna go watch it a second time Sunday!

• Like 6

Awards

Last night I watched The Batman in IMAX. Very well made detective noir thriller with some really solid performances. Most people don’t need a recommendation to see what will likely end up being a top 5 grossing film this year, but definitely catch it on the big screen if you can.

Intensifies Bruce Wayne GIF

Tonight I watched another action-packed superhero thriller… Belfast. Ok, so maybe not. This movie is basically Branagh’s version of Roma with some very good cinematography and interesting performances. Also the best looking actors of all time playing his parents - quite the compliment.

• Like 6

Two days ago I finally got to watch Dune  (2021) thanks to a friend who sent me the blu-ray.

There is no doubt this is a technically, very impressive film, even on a medium size tv screen.

But aside from that and much like Villeneuve's other blockbuster BR2049, it's a movie that's left me pretty indifferent. 

I don't dislike it but it's certainly not a movie I'd ever consider buying for my collection. 

By comparison, the 1984 film, while deeply flawed and borderline laughable at times, has at least the merit of bearing that unmistakable Lynch touch which makes it at least memorable with its oddball characters and eccentric performances ( @extantsrevenge should be rather pleased to read that 😁)

This Dune is a well made, ambitious blockbuster with solid performances from a fine ensemble of actors (none really stand out) and I'll probably watch the sequel (preferably in the theatre) when it comes out, but it will most likely also be a one-time watch.

• Like 4

right got a question for you all has anyone seen death on the nile at all and was it any good or a one time watch?

just i bought the murder on the orient express for the wife ages ago and tbh that was a one time watch. its sat on the shelf every since.

so some thoughts would be helpful

cheers

basil 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Basil said:

right got a question for you all has anyone seen death on the nile at all and was it any good or a one time watch?

just i bought the murder on the orient express for the wife ages ago and tbh that was a one time watch. its sat on the shelf every since.

so some thoughts would be helpful

cheers

basil 👍

It’s a one time watch but I enjoyed it. Good cast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/4/2022 at 4:56 PM, notdan said:

image.thumb.png.f4c6fcaf29dce5aee8c2835da0c060dc.png

Watched PIG last night. Upon finishing it I felt like it was pretty good, well made and acted. But after reflecting on it for a little while and having a few key details dawn on me I would put this in the good/very good range. If I had to use stars?: 3.5/5

Nic Cage shows that he still has acting chops - which makes me tentatively excited for "The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent".

The story basically follows the ultimate cooking bad@$$ on a journey to find his stolen truffle pig. He is basically the John Wick of the cooking world but he "kills" people with kindness and by giving them once-in-a-lifetime experiences through his cooking. There are definitely some hokey/ridiculous elements but overall it stays grounded.

I think the theme can best be summed up by one of the movies quotes: "We don't get a lot of things to really care about." But it is also about loss and forgiveness.

It is a slow movie that, for me, went by quickly - which I enjoy. Give it a shot if is sounds up your alley!

Another film to the "Nicholas Cage own genre"!!

Great! I didn't know it, but I have to see it.

It's becoming a regular and safe diversion. You always know what to expect, you always have fun, you never expect more, or anything else, and it's always the right choice for certain nights.

Love it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I watched Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City. It was ok.  

Spoiler

Some decent zombie fights. The scene with Chris fighting zombies and only the gunfire lit the scene was probably the best memorable scene from the movie. I wish the boss battle was longer. It was way too short. Boss smack talks than dies.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RockinRaccoon said:

I watched Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City. It was ok.  

Reveal hidden contents

Some decent zombie fights. The scene with Chris fighting zombies and only the gunfire lit the scene was probably the best memorable scene from the movie. I wish the boss battle was longer. It was way too short. Boss smack talks than dies.

one time watch?

• Like 3