IGNORED

Media Psychos Psycho Challenge! NEW: CHALLENGE 38 IS NOW LIVE!

extantsrevenge

2 hours ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

I can't participate in this challenge, but I think this one has brought out some of the most beautiful shots from our members. Great idea @Gentleman!

I couldn't do this one either, and this is the only challenge I've missed so far. But I've had a ton of fun participating from the beginning, and I've enjoyed seeing all the soundtracks our fellow Psychos have produced.

In my younger days, I had enough of a physical music collection where I could have completed this one easily! So definitely bringing up some nostalgia in here.

• Like 6

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• ★ Administrators ★

giphy.gif

@★ Platinum Psycho ★ @★ GOLD Psycho ★ @★ Members ★

Today we will already reach Week 10 of our Psycho Challenge 😲. Thanks for the incredible response so far to this fun activity. The first Psychos will be able to secure their 10th point with the new challenge. That means you guys will earn the Psycho Challenge Award.

oh-my-god-omg.gif

So it is my with great pleasure that I introduce to you the magnificent award @Cornbuster has designed for us

af7ec860-eb77-431c-9393-a53229d79ef4_text.gif

877849000_MPChallenge1.png.9244283d3865673da88aed266ad8b3e1.png

boom-stranger-things.gif

I guess every Psychos that has not yet participated in a challenge will now kick themselves. What a great design @Cornbuster 🙏

Anyway, since the challenge was so successful, I really hope everyone that has received the award will continue to participate in upcoming challenges. The plan is to continue offering challenges so that other members can also reach the 10 points required for the award and members can also collect points for the SECOND AWARD that we plan to introduce to you later. I'm not saying yet at which point amount the 2nd Award will be handed out, so keep playing to find out ☺️.

I have received some exciting challenge submissions from members already for the next several weeks, so there is a lot to look forward to. We are still accepting more challenges, simply check out the rules for challenge submission here . If one of your challenges was already part of the game you can still submit a new challenge 👍

Challenge 10 will be posted later today.

• Like 38
  • Thanks 7

Hope this submission is in time 😄

The Bond themes were my favourite movie soundtracks growing up, my top 5 are as follows:

1. Dr. No (James Bond Theme, John Barry)

2. The Living Daylights (A-ha)

3. A View To A Kill (Duran Duran)

4. The Spy Who Loved Me (Nobody Does It Better, Carly Simon)

5. Octopussy (All Time High, Rita Coolidge)

Screenshot_20221113_105512.jpg

Edit: this was also the first movie soundtrack I owned, one of my cherished gifts from my Grandma ❤

Edited by Sidewinder
  • Like 25

Awards

3 minutes ago, Sidewinder said:

Hope this submission is in time 😄

The Bond themes were my favourite movie soundtracks growing up, my top 5 are as follows:

1. Dr. No (James Bond Theme, John Barry)

2. The Living Daylights (A-ha)

3. A View To A Kill (Duran Duran)

4. The Spy Who Loved Me (Nobody Does It Better, Carly Simon)

5. Octopussy (All Time High, Rita Coolidge)

Screenshot_20221113_105512.jpg

As much as I love the Bond themes, this does not qualify I'm afraid. You will need to show 5 individual soundtracks for 5 different Bond films (or 4 to complement this compilation).

• Like 6

On 11/6/2022 at 2:31 PM, Gentleman said:

We would like to know your 5 favorite soundtracks. Take one or more photos of 5 movies and the corresponding soundtrack. Both must be in physical format. Which format doesn't matter (Premium Edition, Steelbook, Amaray etc. for movies / CD, Vinyl etc. for soundtracks).

5 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

As much as I love the Bond themes, this does not qualify I'm afraid. You will need to show 5 individual soundtracks for 5 different Bond films (or 4 to complement this compilation).

🧐

But I did take a photo of 20+ movies and their corresponding soundtrack 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Awards

1 minute ago, Sidewinder said:

🧐

But I did take a photo of 20+ movies and their corresponding soundtrack 😄

Oops 😅

Then I'll quietly go and bury my head in shame.

PS - bold choice to feature Rita Coolidge's All Time High among your favorites, as it is usually considered one of the weaker and least memorable Bond themes.

I personally like it quite a bit and can easily count 7 or 8 songs I would place underneath it.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

Oops 😅

Then I'll quietly go and bury my head in shame.

PS - bold choice to feature Rita Coolidge's All Time High among your favorites, as it is usually considered one of the weaker and least memorable Bond themes.

I personally like it quite a bit and can easily count 7 or 8 songs I would place underneath it.

I admit it was a grey area and could be interpreted either way 😄

There were quite a few I was considering for slot 5, I also really like Live and Let Die and For Your Eyes Only, which could also have taken that slot. I really need to re-listen to them all again and see if I would re-evaluate my choices 🙂

• Like 5

Awards

4 minutes ago, Sidewinder said:

I admit it was a grey area and could be interpreted either way 😄

There were quite a few I was considering for slot 5, I also really like Live and Let Die and For Your Eyes Only, which could also have taken that slot. I really need to re-listen to them all again and see if I would re-evaluate my choices 🙂

So you’re definitely partial to the Moore era when the Bond themes are concerned.

LALD is a masterpiece and my second favorite just behind YOLT.

Can’t stand FYEO though 😅 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Challenge #9

It has been a really difficult challenge. I really like soundtracks, in fact I've always used them for moments of creativity, and it's hard to choose just five. The first thing I thought was: Interstellar, Requiem for a dream, Elevator to the Gallows, Twin Peaks, The hours,...

There I raised a question: were we talking about compositions for a soundtrack, or soundtracks made with previous songs reinterpreted? Because then Moulin Rouge it's a must-be-there. And it wouldn't be the only one.

At that time I asked myself: what was the first soundtrack I bought? Way too long ago, but I think it was "2001, A space Odyssey." In fact, I have my old CD and the vinyl edition that Mondo released a couple of years ago.

However, researching on my PC, I found my old database of my music collection, made by me in Access from when we still used Access for these things, and there I got a surprise, because 2001 was not the first. The first was an OST that I've always loved, always, but didn't think I'd bought so soon: "Paris, Texas."

I can certainly say that I am very proud to have bought it so soon. It's a good sign.

Anyway, in the end there were so many good soundtracks, that I chose these five. They are among my adored TOP, and they offer different styles.

Paris, Texas

20221106-213903.jpg

Rarely have I found an OST so appropriate and close to the film, its spirit, what it implies; even to its landscapes, or to the glaces of its characters. Plus, it's pretty, melancholy as well as pretty, with a main historical theme that sticks in everyone's mind, knowing it or not.

Even when it sounds sad, it continues to talk to you about life, both about what remains, and about the good things that someone lived before. A masterpiece.

Personal note: by the way, my mind links this OST with a delicious twilight movie directed by John Carrol Lynch, "Lucky", also starring Harry Dean Staton. In this film he narrates the daily life of a very old man, already with some ailments, and as grumpy as he is human, charming, in a landscape that could well have been absolutely from "Paris, Texas". There is a scene in which Harry Dean Staton sings a Mexican song, symbolizing the happiness and longing that one can achieve when one is old, the satisfaction for what has been done, the smile of seeing yourself happy, and the resignation to what lies ahead.

It's a film that I recommend for anyone who might be interested in a very good independent film, with David Lynch, Tom Skerrit, Barry Shabaka Henley, or Ron Livingston, among others, in the secondary characters.

That moment with Harry Dean Stanton, in his last days in real life, singing that Mexican song so closely linked to "Paris, Texas", is wonderful. A singing to life.

Blade Runner

20221106-214419.jpg

It needs no introduction, no explanation, no justification. It's a masterpiece in the full sense of the expression, because it served to open new horizons, and showed many composers and directors where they could go. A new soundscape.

Blade Runner, the movie, is an irrefutable masterpiece, and probably could not be without the wonderful, spectacular, intimate, and transcendent music of Vangelis. In this case, not only does the music totally fit the film, sharing the same soul, and the same landscapes, but sometimes I doubt if -at the same time- the film also fits the music. It's marvelous.

On the other hand, I have to admit that I'm from a generation that loves the music of Vangelis and Jean-Michel Jarre, being so different from each other, being so linked to images, and I have this OST like gold on cloth in my collection. Just like the movie. Listening calmly at home to this music I have seen -and remembered, and imagined- things that you would not believe.

Lost

20221106-213635.jpg

"Lost" was the series that changed everything. Actually, this expression, "it was the series that changed everything" is used as a publicity legend a lot of times, but there have only been two series that really would have changed everything in their time: "Twin Peaks" and "Lost".

Before "Lost" there were no series marathons, the seasons were released in different years with calm in different countries, and the characters tended to be flat, limited, whose inner evolution was limited to the game to reach the McGuffin and certain accessory comic tics or love affairs. What Nolan achieved in a certain superhero cinema, was achieved here by a wonderful series that, basically, beyond a very original plot and with some historical twists, spoke to us of something much deeper; of second chances, of who we really are, of the opportunity to make a tabula rasa and start again where no one knows us. Something I know you've all dreamed of. About us. Where is the happiness we fight for inside.

"Lost" definitely established in the industry, as outstanding professionals in their art, people like JJ Abrams, Damon Lindelof, a large number of technicians (the screenwriters, the editors... later present in so many series and movies), some actors, and... Michael Giacchino. What he did with the soundtrack for this series is sheer wonder, absolute, melancholic, lovable, talented, great. One of those compositions that I don't want to hear too much so as not to wear it out, so as not to "dirty" it with other memories.

Probably his best work.

It is impossible to listen to her and not feel the same again. And remember.

A delight. 

In the mood for love

20221106-214911.jpg

This soundtrack reconciled me with the old songs in Spanish by Nat King Cole, which my parents used to listen to, which had always seemed like "old things" to me, but which are adorable. Wonderful. I suppose that maturity -or knowing how to appreciate the good things in this life- begins when you are able to play Nat King Cole in the background at home, and sit down calmly to have a drink.

However, the best thing about this historical OST is the amazing music composed by Shigeru Umebayashi. The main theme of "In the mood for love" is already a classic, an obligatory reference piece, which materializes everything that the film is, and, at the same time, sounds like glory. No other music in this world could have played at that moment when she walks up the stairs, calmly, slowly, and suddenly, like a shadow, someone appears, it's him, they almost look at each other, and he goes on down, marking the music itself with the stairs. What is left behind. Just like her.

This OST is everything an OST should try to be. And it sounds so "In the mood for love", that it is impossible not to love it.

One from the heart

20221106-214620.jpg

I have been waiting for many years for an edition of this film that will allow me to retire my old DVD, present in the picture. And I'm finally going to do it, when they finish that current 4K restoration which, in theory, I suppose, will give us a 4K edition of this wonderful Francis Ford Coppola film. With which he was ruined. The one people didn't like.  The one I love.

The 4K will allow those colors that are intuited in the cover to shine like never before, but, at the same time, listening to this soundtrack, with great sound quality, will be a great experience. This OST are songs composed for the movie, feeling the movie, thinking about the movie, living the movie, and it seems to me to be one of the best albums I've heard and the most underrated; maybe just like the movie.

Delicious music and voice, quiet but careful songs that tell us about the epic of those who arrive with hope, of the love that appears, of disappointment and the need to walk. It is magnificent. And, obviously, Tom Waits is a classic offering here one of his best albums. One from the heart.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Challenge #9

The score of a movie is very important part for me.

It creates feelings.

Have you ever turned of the sound, when the Autobots in Transformers arrive? Or when Michael is coming?

One of the most thrilling scores has just two tones...and everybody knows, that there is danger...even if you don't actually see it.

I am speaking of Jaws.

Turn the sound of in that intro, and it could be a POV of a kid having fun, swimming at the beach, trying out his new diving glasses (don't know if that's the correct term in English. ;) ).

So here are some great movies, wich weren't that great, if they had a different score.

A btw...my first score I've ever bought, was Pulp Fiction! 

I went, straight from theatre to WOM and bought it.

This movie and his score actually inspired me also to learn my job.

IMG20221113130248.jpg

Edited by javi
  • Like 29

• ★ Administrators ★

The first challenge was from me and from the beginning I had the plan to also present the 10th challenge, so I'm happy to give to you

Challenge 10: "Choose your Weapon"

179599305_ChooseYourWeapon.jpg.f38f26975a30d36b77c9efcdb474068f.jpg

Please show us 5 different movies from your collection that feature 5 different handheld weapons on the front or back of the edition.

Please also tell us what your favorite weapon for a hero and a villain in all of cinema history is (so 2 weapons 😉).

- Every type of packaging is allowed.

- Make sure that you only choose weapons that a person could hold in their hand.

- If a package shows more weapons, only 1 weapon is counting from that movie.

So

91a07cc3-3508-412b-aa30-e99d657bd59f_tex

9DRBWi.gif

Thanks to @raylight since his challenge 4 was the spark that ignited the idea for this one and thanks to @R1s1ngs0n for suggesting the very nice additional question to the challenge.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

• ★ Administrators ★

Here is my picture for Challenge 10, I really like all kinds of Swords, Blades, Knifes, so I wanted to mainly feature those, as I figured we will see lots of guns. I also choose editions that might not show up that much, that is also the reason why I did not include any Star Wars Edition with a Lightsaber 😄.

Rurouni Kenshin UK Steelbook = Sakabato – Reversed Blade Katana

Commando Japan Steelbook = M202 FLASH Rocket Launcher (yeah I know not a blade or sword, but I had to include Arnold in this challenge 😃).

Berserk Movie Trilogy Italian Steelbook = Hawk Raider Sword (this is the much smaller version Guts has before getting his "Dragon Slayer" sword)

Alita German Steelbook & WeET FS = Damascus Blade (so nice, so I'm showing 2 editions)

Elektra Filmarena Edition = Sai

483162944_Challenge10.thumb.JPG.28f7fdb4dd65cc535552acb4968e2a81.JPG

My favorite movie weapon of all time would be the Lightsaber

giphy.gif

nothing more iconic. I will present that as the choice for best villain weapon. I mean Darth Vader with red Lightsaber, can't get any better.

I actualy never really thought about the question before, but I remember that when I was young I always wanted a model for the M41A Pulse Rifle from Aliens. I was always impressed by that.

13IBbJOxRLyB3O.gif

And don't forget my favorite Hero

batman-thebatman.gif

• Like 37

Challenge #9

At the wire......

I tried to dig deep for unique submissions....i believe i failed. Here goes anyway. 

20221113_082354.thumb.jpg.996dd284e6cd12fa6fb89ee34a95ccf7.jpg20221113_082340.thumb.jpg.50548f5b19d966848cfdb9067398df27.jpg20221113_082304.thumb.jpg.de98faa1e6ffc486f542585a7d979f5a.jpg20221113_082322.thumb.jpg.895307035735d9590b075544e3fbeec3.jpg20221113_082240.thumb.jpg.e522a7a42fc3c6e61410b2165664915f.jpg

I sure wish i could find a blu ray for the Antarctica film with English subs. A powerful film for me even too this day. 

My first soundtrack was Thief in '81. I was a huge TD fan in late 70s and all 80s and have logged massive hours on their soundtracks.  Today Clint Mansell and Trent Reznor have filled the void!!!

Thanks for this great challenge.... hope i made it in time. 

• Like 26

Alright, I'll submit something.

image.thumb.jpeg.e03950cba507ad12780a915621d5685f.jpeg

1. EverythingBlu "Rambo: First Blood" Collector's Edition. Weapon = survival knife.

2. Zavvi "The Thing" Collector's Edition. Weapon = flamethrower

3. Eureka "A Fistful of Dynamite" Limited Edition Blu-ray. Weapon = machine/Gatling gun.

4. Zavvi "The Princess Bride" Steelbook. Weapon = Rapier

5. "Dirty Harry" Digibook. Weapon = .44 Magnum

Favourite weapon wielded by a hero would be the T-800's Minigun in "Terminator 2: Judgment Day".

imback-hey.gif

Favourite weapon wielded by a villain would probably be Simon Phoenix's Magnetic Accelerator Gun in "Demolition Man".

37c2bf03-9590-47db-a774-0abcb7310c5b_tex

...or the Predator's shoulder-cannon in "Predator".

1ed9aa62a7bdc1271136c953a124e109185b406d

Edited by Fortis93
  • Like 31

Very cool challenge, Nils @extantsrevenge, so here are my choices for challenge 10:

Of course, when it comes to guns, one must always say hello to Pacinos little friend:

image.thumb.jpeg.564a888aac3c10d847bf442822508e86.jpeg

getting away from classic guns, there is of course The Bear Jew´s Bat in Inglorious Basterds:

image.thumb.jpeg.b5ff8be0bec6c9f97f0fe086c32c1bc2.jpeg

Ashe´s Chainsaw Hand in Evil Dead 2:

image.thumb.jpeg.7bfcba4aee20997897a3e116a482b4c3.jpeg

Hattori Hanzo Katana in Kill Bill:

image.thumb.jpeg.94914b03c6c9f9c451a0b4198d709e5b.jpeg

And since I couldnt decide on one clear Winner anyway, here are my 2 favourite classic/iconic weapons: Saurons The One Ring (villain)  and Indy´s whip:

image.thumb.jpeg.37c2fbe72deb19ad15aa47cbf7b31e21.jpeg

Edited by hal56
  • Like 31

Cool challenge, yet again @extantsrevenge

As it happens, I had this pic ready to post should such a challenge be introduced at some point... lucky me 😁

The Day Of The Jackal - custom sniper rifle

The Taking Of Pelham One Two Three - submachine gun

Robocop - Auto 9 pistol

The Thing - flamethrower

Shaun Of The Dead - cricket bat

image.thumb.jpeg.a74d9d133bd10928977dda9aef81f176.jpeg

Favorite hero weapon - Harry Callahan’s Magnum .44

Big, loud and iconic.

dirty-harry-dirry-harry-smile.gif

Favorite villain weapon - Oddjob’s steel-rimmed bowler hat

No matter how often I watch that movie, this scene always puts a big smile on my face.

FamousNeighboringDog-size_restricted.gif

• Like 32