IGNORED

What did you watch last night???

Basil

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I just had a chance to see M3gan but had to turn around before I got there 🙁. Hopefully next week.

10 minutes ago, Gary K said:

I quite liked this when I first saw it.  I’m sure it has t aged well.  

This was my first viewing. I'm just not a Seth Rogen or Apatow fan. The 40 Year Old Virgin is probably my favorite of his but I think it has a lot more to do with Steve Carell than anything else. 

There was a time when I enjoyed some of these comedies but I really grew tired of them after the Will Ferrell period (even during). They're all pretty much the same film. Rogen's films are a step lower in my mind since he so heavily relies on raunchiness and shock. I know I'm in the minority but I just find them boring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

I thought I just had a chance to see M3gan but had to turn around before I got there 🙁. Hopefully next week.

This was my first viewing. I'm just not a Seth Rogen or Apatow fan. The 40 Year Old Virgin is probably my favorite of his but I think it has a lot more to do with Steve Carell than anything else. 

There was a time when I enjoyed some of these comedies but I really grew tired of them after the Will Ferrell period (even during). They're all pretty much the same film. Rogen's films are a step lower in my mind since he so heavily relies on raunchiness and shock. I know I'm in the minority but I just find them boring.

B-b-but Knocked Up is a gem (and so is This is 40) ☹️

Angry Paul Rudd GIF

• Like 1

• ★ Administrators ★

5B6F8577-BA8B-4EAC-A308-7B471F8ACF67.thumb.jpeg.51641825226ec0ecfb44f3ad6d98cb6b.jpeg

This has languished on my watchlist for far too long, my anti-western prejudice getting the better of me.  

So glad on a sick day I decided to give this a try.  Credit maestro Leone and watching his For A Few Dollars More a few days ago for whetting my appetite. 

This was truly an actors showcase, but with the type of high octane action you expect from Mangold.   Makes me cautiously optimistic for the Raiders this summer.

4/5

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Gary K said:

5B6F8577-BA8B-4EAC-A308-7B471F8ACF67.thumb.jpeg.51641825226ec0ecfb44f3ad6d98cb6b.jpeg

This has languished on my watchlist for far too long, my anti-western prejudice getting the better of me.  

So glad on a sick day I decided to give this a try.  Credit maestro Leone and watching his For A Few Dollars More a few days ago for whetting my appetite. 

This was truly an actors showcase, but with the type of high octane action you expect from Mangold.   Makes me cautiously optimistic for the Raiders this summer.

4/5

I loved this movie.  As you note, those two together, so many great moments.  I've already decided next time I teach, I'm going to use this movie.  Particularly the crafting of the scene in the hotel room before they make the run for the train.   Holy schnikey.   Elevated Christian Bale even a notch higher in my eyes.  

Agreed on Raiders.  I love that franchise so much, I'm willing it to be amazing.  As you and I discussed a few months back, the casting of Fleabag, friggin' genius.  It would be interesting if she becomes the new "Indy", unlikely, but what a great 21st century spin that would be.   Dial of Destiny?  Terrible name.

Hope you're on the upswing buddy.  Sucks to be sick.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Gary K said:

4/5

Without underestimating the original, this film seems to me to be a bit underrated. 

I enjoyed a lot to watching it.

• Like 6

• ★ Administrators ★
52 minutes ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

I loved this movie.  As you note, those two together, so many great moments.  I've already decided next time I teach, I'm going to use this movie.  Particularly the crafting of the scene in the hotel room before they make the run for the train.   Holy schnikey.   Elevated Christian Bale even a notch higher in my eyes.  

Agreed on Raiders.  I love that franchise so much, I'm willing it to be amazing.  As you and I discussed a few months back, the casting of Fleabag, friggin' genius.  It would be interesting if she becomes the new "Indy", unlikely, but what a great 21st century spin that would be.   Dial of Destiny?  Terrible name.

Hope you're on the upswing buddy.  Sucks to be sick.  

Thanks my man.  

I’ve been thinking about how good this movie was a lot today.   Sure, the ending has some questionable motivations, but hit damn does that final act fire on all cylinders.  

feeling slightly better today.   Nothing a rangers win tonight won’t cure lol.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Gary K said:

4/5

Gary I’m curios why you had a so anti-western prejudice? 🤔 

I have this one…

3:10 to Yuma 4K (Blu-ray)

39 minutes ago, Gary K said:

I haven’t seen the original, but I suppose I now need to. 

AS FAR AS THE ORIGINAL ONE I HAVE THIS ONE…

3:10 to Yuma (Blu-ray)

I will put both of these on my to watch list…

soon GIF

• Like 3

• ★ Administrators ★
5 minutes ago, Veum said:

Gary I’m curios why you had a so anti-western prejudice? 🤔 

I have this one…

3:10 to Yuma 4K (Blu-ray)

AS FAR AS THE ORIGINAL ONE I HAVE THIS ONE…

3:10 to Yuma (Blu-ray)

I will put both of these on my to watch list…

soon GIF

It’s just not my favorite genre generally.  I’ve avoided the so called classics of the genre (other than the Italian ones) perhaps to my detriment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16669809325193.jpg

When I saw the first "Avatar" I was surprised by its simplicity; not because James Cameron is a director of twisted stills, but because, in my opinion, it lowered the tone of the target audience beyond the usual on him. That point at which the film bifurcates from being a sci-fi/action film to being a very Disney film -before it was even bought by Disney- was something I didn't expect.

I didn't think it was a great film, rather weak, entertaining up to a certain level, and forgettable -beyond the innovative 3D- after that.

Its sequel delves deeper into those shortcomings, and into what was less good about Avatar, but, even so, it manages to surprise me again; because it doesn't even appear to be a consistent film in narrative terms anymore, nor does it try to be. "The Sense of Water" dips into itself, into Avatar, into that part less ambitious of the first film, and frolics in liking itself. It doesn't try to make a great film, or even a great commercial film, but a commercial spectacle that becomes an event. A massive event.

I read a review recently where it was described as a very expensive goldfish bowl. And they said it perhaps with a certain contemptuous connotation.

In my case, I reaffirm that idea, a very expensive goldfish bowl, but I don't think it's something derogatory, or something that would particularly offend Cameron. It's what he wanted to do. Because he has the talent and the means to be able to do that and the opposite, and he's decided to dive in.

He hasn't cared about the plot, the narrative is so simple that it can't even matter to the average viewer; he's simply created a great show that you have to go and see. Which I went to see. And that you should go see.

But not to see a great film, because it isn't, and won't be; but to participate in a global event, and enjoy it. Avatar makes sense to enjoy in 3D, and immerse yourself in the water -and the inhabitants- of its world. To follow each scene with a certain point of admiration that forces one to admit that it's entertaining, not because of its storytelling, but because it has elements that constantly entertain.

And far from being criticisable, in a way, I think this connects "Avatar: The Way of Water" with an early cinema, very Lumiére brothers, where instead of being thrown and impressed by the arriving train, we find ourselves throwing ourselves into the sea with our eyes wide open.

Open to enjoy.

Honestly, the current state of cinema -and its industry- needs films like "Avatar: The Way of Water" and "Top Gun: Maverick". There is an urgent need to balance our horizons with other kinds of mass events.

Whether this will then make sense of the sequels to come, or make them unnecessary, remains to be seen. It's up to Cameron.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• ★ Administrators ★
Just now, MikeH5856 said:

LOL Oh dear... I was hoping to try and watch this one over the weekend because who knows when it'll leave HBO Max. Hopefully I get more out of it than you did! 🤣🤣🤣

I enjoyed it.  It was more dark (very dark) comedy than horror or thriller so know that going in.  I really like the three lead performances too.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

If you want a "foodie" movie that is super relaxed and a well crafted watch, try Delicious.  It's an easy going pre-French revolution story about a chef to a Duke.  More subtitles, more reading, more grey cell flexing @Reagh!  It's a nice palette cleanser.

image.png.79a35a2d71979b8c7b0301af60b6535b.png

Thanks for the recommendation, it’s going in my book 

94CABFB7-9673-4FF6-9911-E94728DC7F84.gif.0ab7fb2cad55f92c8985a4fb7fbc5993.gif

5 hours ago, Casiusco said:

When I saw the first "Avatar" I was surprised by its simplicity; not because James Cameron is a director of twisted stills, but because, in my opinion, it lowered the tone of the target audience beyond the usual on him. That point at which the film bifurcates from being a sci-fi/action film to being a very Disney film -before it was even bought by Disney- was something I didn't expect.

I didn't think it was a great film, rather weak, entertaining up to a certain level, and forgettable -beyond the innovative 3D- after that.

I agree 100% and have been thrashed by my boys for not getting as swept away as everyone was.  It's an achievement, no doubt, it flexed the technical side of filmmaking, which is incredibly important, but as a movie, as a film "document", I don't think it was even close to on par with other Cameron films from a storytelling/character standpoint.  Well said @Casiusco.

I'm going to see the new one in NYC at the iMax in a couple weeks.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Reagh said:

Thanks for the recommendation, it’s going in my book 

94CABFB7-9673-4FF6-9911-E94728DC7F84.gif.0ab7fb2cad55f92c8985a4fb7fbc5993.gif

I'm still getting to know your tastes buddy, so curious if you like it.  We liked it a lot because we watched it after The Marksman & The Electrical Life of Louis Wain.   So I needed to have a peaceful movie that was chill but interesting and took me some place (France 1789) that was distant and dreamy.  And Sophie is French and a fantastic cook, so we got that going too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

I agree 100% and have been thrashed by my boys for not getting as swept away as everyone was.  It's an achievement, no doubt, it flexed the technical side of filmmaking, which is incredibly important, but as a movie, as a film "document", I don't think it was even close to on par with other Cameron films from a storytelling/character standpoint.  Well said @Casiusco.

I'm going to see the new one in NYC at the iMax in a couple weeks.

Agreed with both you and @Casiusco. I didn't think Avatar was anything special from a story standpoint and found it to be completely forgettable. I haven't seen the sequel, and likely won't because of how much I disliked the first one. Frankly, I'm surprised there's been such a huge audience for it (but I also thought the same of the first one, so clearly, what do I know?), but good for Cameron for crafting such a crowd-pleaser and raking in the dough.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MikeH5856 said:

but good for Cameron for crafting such a crowd-pleaser and raking in the dough.

Absolutely right, and thanks for adding that in.  I am NOT a hater, that's not my thing, and am glad he is doing what he has earned the right to do.  I hope he uses that money to make something awesome.  Maybe he'll give some to Coppola to finish his movie.

image.gif.1e0e3a13e10596f08c603766e6979005.gif

• Like 3

• ★ Administrators ★
12 minutes ago, MikeH5856 said:

Agreed with both you and @Casiusco. I didn't think Avatar was anything special from a story standpoint and found it to be completely forgettable. I haven't seen the sequel, and likely won't because of how much I disliked the first one. Frankly, I'm surprised there's been such a huge audience for it (but I also thought the same of the first one, so clearly, what do I know?), but good for Cameron for crafting such a crowd-pleaser and raking in the dough.

I have to confess that I unabashedly loved the Avatar sequel.  I enjoyed the first one quite a bit as well.  Sure, the story in both is relatively basic but I got swept up in the spectacle and the sequel certainly manage to push some emotional buttons as a parent.  Really though it's about the spectacle and that last hour or so of non stop action is some of the best stuff I've ever seen.

I also get the criticisms, but for me it was just pure cinematic fun.

• Like 4