What did you watch last night???

Basil

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Gary K said:

I have to confess that I unabashedly loved the Avatar sequel.  I enjoyed the first one quite a bit as well.  Sure, the story in both is relatively basic but I got swept up in the spectacle and the sequel certainly manage to push some emotional buttons as a parent.  Really though it's about the spectacle and that last hour or so of non stop action is some of the best stuff I've ever seen.

I also get the criticisms, but for me it was just pure cinematic fun.

Spectacle certainly has its place! :D I couldn't get past the story just being a retread of the Pocahontas and the silly looking aliens. 🤣

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Reagh said:

When the first Avatar was released in the theaters, the wife and I looked at each other around the 1 hour mark and without a word or a gesture we both in unison stood up and walked out. To this day, it’s the only time that has happened.

It would be great to hear what movies everyone walked out of.  

I have only walked out of one film, ever, and I am going to get a big 'ole clapback from many members here who love the film I left. 

image.gif.3082e653f5af11e3e12ebc9789f95b47.gif

• Like 2

• ★ Administrators ★
2 minutes ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

I have only walked out of one film, ever, and I am going to get a big 'ole clapback from many members here who love the film I left. 

The ONLY movie I ever walked out of (as opposed to turning off at home) was Metalstorm.  My brother and I went to see it when we were kids and it was so bad we just left and went to the arcade.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BreakBeatDJ said:

I can only remember walking out on Drop Dead Fred when I was like 10 or 11. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Reagh said:

When the first Avatar was released in the theaters, the wife and I looked at each other around the 1 hour mark and without a word or a gesture we both in unison stood up and walked out. To this day, it’s the only time that has happened.

My wife and I had the exact same experience on a couple of occasions:

First time was in 2005 when we went to see Four Brothers, starring Mark Whalberg (left after 20mins) and the second was in 2008 when we went to see The Happening, starring… Mark Whalberg (left after 25mins).

3 years later I told my wife 15mins into The Tree Of Life that I would hang myself if I had to endure one more second of this snooze-fest. She chose to stay, I went home to take a nap.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Casiusco said:

16669809325193.jpg

When I saw the first "Avatar" I was surprised by its simplicity; not because James Cameron is a director of twisted stills, but because, in my opinion, it lowered the tone of the target audience beyond the usual on him. That point at which the film bifurcates from being a sci-fi/action film to being a very Disney film -before it was even bought by Disney- was something I didn't expect.

I didn't think it was a great film, rather weak, entertaining up to a certain level, and forgettable -beyond the innovative 3D- after that.

Its sequel delves deeper into those shortcomings, and into what was less good about Avatar, but, even so, it manages to surprise me again; because it doesn't even appear to be a consistent film in narrative terms anymore, nor does it try to be. "The Sense of Water" dips into itself, into Avatar, into that part less ambitious of the first film, and frolics in liking itself. It doesn't try to make a great film, or even a great commercial film, but a commercial spectacle that becomes an event. A massive event.

I read a review recently where it was described as a very expensive goldfish bowl. And they said it perhaps with a certain contemptuous connotation.

In my case, I reaffirm that idea, a very expensive goldfish bowl, but I don't think it's something derogatory, or something that would particularly offend Cameron. It's what he wanted to do. Because he has the talent and the means to be able to do that and the opposite, and he's decided to dive in.

He hasn't cared about the plot, the narrative is so simple that it can't even matter to the average viewer; he's simply created a great show that you have to go and see. Which I went to see. And that you should go see.

But not to see a great film, because it isn't, and won't be; but to participate in a global event, and enjoy it. Avatar makes sense to enjoy in 3D, and immerse yourself in the water -and the inhabitants- of its world. To follow each scene with a certain point of admiration that forces one to admit that it's entertaining, not because of its storytelling, but because it has elements that constantly entertain.

And far from being criticisable, in a way, I think this connects "Avatar: The Way of Water" with an early cinema, very Lumiére brothers, where instead of being thrown and impressed by the arriving train, we find ourselves throwing ourselves into the sea with our eyes wide open.

Open to enjoy.

Honestly, the current state of cinema -and its industry- needs films like "Avatar: The Way of Water" and "Top Gun: Maverick". There is an urgent need to balance our horizons with other kinds of mass events.

Whether this will then make sense of the sequels to come, or make them unnecessary, remains to be seen. It's up to Cameron.

1 hour ago, MikeH5856 said:

Agreed with both you and @Casiusco. I didn't think Avatar was anything special from a story standpoint and found it to be completely forgettable. I haven't seen the sequel, and likely won't because of how much I disliked the first one. Frankly, I'm surprised there's been such a huge audience for it (but I also thought the same of the first one, so clearly, what do I know?), but good for Cameron for crafting such a crowd-pleaser and raking in the dough.

1 hour ago, Reagh said:

Too much…

the great indoors roland GIF by CBS Im Not GIF

• Haha 3

• ★ Administrators ★
42 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

My wife and I had the exact same experience on a couple of occasions:

First time was in 2005 when we went to see Four Brothers, starring Mark Whalberg (left after 20mins) and the second was in 2008 when we went to see The Happening, starring… Mark Whalberg (left after 25mins).

3 years later I told my wife 15mins into The Tree Of Life that I would hang myself if I had to endure one more second of this snooze-fest. She chose to stay, I went home to take a nap.

I have never walked out of any movie. If I go to the Cinema paying for it I'm going to see it until the end, but I have to admit that I had a few I wished I would have not seen until the end. But that is from a younger age when I was going with my friends after school regularly to the cinema and we simply picked shit movies 😂.

Anyway I don't have the same issue when seeing a movie at home. If I can't stand it it will be dropped and receive 1 point. I quote specifically your post Eli, because it is funny that you mention The Tree of Life.... OMG so absolutely BORING, I dropped that in like 10 minutes too. Terrence Malick is a director I really can't stand 😅

• Like 7

Oh this is fun, here's my list of walkouts: 

• Lucky You (2007)
  • Cats (2019)

My wife and I very nearly walked out of Ad Astra. Could not STAND that movie in theaters. Upon rewatch at home I've developed an appreciation for the moods it evokes, but it's utterly nonsensical in terms of plot. 

I have since come to like Avatar quite a bit, but when I first saw it in 2009, I almost fell asleep in theaters. 

• Like 5

I had 1 where I almost left.  The Two Jakes with Nicholson.  Just was really bored but went with my dad and could not leave.

1 movie broke mid screening and I never did finish it up.  Eddie Murphys The Distinguished Gentleman.  The staff never came on to tell us that it would not be fixed.  Discount theater for you.

Been to 2 movies where I was the only one in it.  He said she said and one of the Jaskass movies.

• Like 3

Wow, there is a lot going on in here right now. 

@Casiusco Thanks for your detailed thoughts as always. I'm still wrapping my head around Avatar (having seen it twice) and agree with your point...to an extent. I need some time to completely formulate my thoughts and it's hard right now with my 4 year old constantly trying to talk to me. 

@Reagh I'm glad I'm not the only one who found that film a bit overrated. I found it entertaining and loved the performances but it was a bit too predictable for me to rate it highly. I put it at a solid 3/5.

@BreakBeatDJ That sounds like a film I would really enjoy. Is there an American foodie film you can compare it to? Either way, I'm adding it to my list. 

• Like 1

And I just realized I missed an entire page 🤦‍♂️

I think I've only walked out of two films...Basic Instinct 2 and The Green Knight. The latter I could have pushed through but my wife texted me with a family emergency. That being said, I was not sad to leave. 

As far as turning off at home, Jungle Cruise and Spring Breakers are the two that immediately pop in my mind. I was surprised by Jungle Cruise considering the cast but my wife and I essentially did what you all described and agreed to turn it off. It wasn't grabbing us at all. Spring Breakers was just terrible. I turned it off but others convinced me to see it through a couple days later. I wish I just left it off.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, hansreinhardt said:

Oh this is fun, here's my list of walkouts: 

• Lucky You (2007)
  • Cats (2019)

My wife and I very nearly walked out of Ad Astra. Could not STAND that movie in theaters. Upon rewatch at home I've developed an appreciation for the moods it evokes, but it's utterly nonsensical in terms of plot. 

I have since come to like Avatar quite a bit, but when I first saw it in 2009, I almost fell asleep in theaters. 

I forgot about Ad Astra. I came VERY close to walking out of that one. 

I honestly blame the marketing though. It was marketed as a completely different film.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, extantsrevenge said:

I have never walked out of any movie. If I go to the Cinema paying for it I'm going to see it until the end, but I have to admit that I had a few I wished I would have not seen until the end. But that is from a younger age when I was going with my friends after school regularly to the cinema and we simply picked stop using inappropriate language movies 😂.

Anyway I don't have the same issue when seeing a movie at home. If I can't stand it it will be dropped and receive 1 point. I quote specifically your post Eli, because it is funny that you mention The Tree of Life.... OMG so absolutely BORING, I dropped that in like 10 minutes too. Terrence Malick is a director I really can't stand 😅

At that time (before our daughter was born), walking out of a stinker was easy since both of us had annual subscriptions that allowed us go to the movies as often as we liked.
During certain periods we used to go to the movies at least once a week so these annual subscriptions were definitely worth it, especially since good movies came out pretty frequently… how these times have changed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Last movie I remember turning off after a short time was Murder on the Orient Express. After watching Glass Onion the wife I wanted to check out another murder mystery in the same vein (hopefully), but those hopes were squashed almost immediately. I went to bed after 20 minutes. My wife opted to keep watching, but ended up turning it off shortly thereafter with the vow to finish it later. It's been a few weeks and as far as I know she hasn't. 🤣

• Like 5