What did you watch last night???

Basil

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

tales-from-the-loop-poster.jpg

I have to admit that I had never heard of it. And that's the crux of the matter, I don't know why. My oversight? I don't know, but why?

I arrived almost unintentionally, and pressed “Play” just because the director of the first episode is Mark Romanek. Almost instantly, just a few seconds before, I realized that it's a 2020 series, which only had one season, which didn't look good, but, at the same time, since “One Hour Photo” I feel a certain predilection for him, and I gave it a try.

Close-up, Jonathan Pryce talking to camera.

Soon, in the background, music by Philip Glass.

“Tales from the Loop” struck me as a little wonder, hidden, very little talked about. A Romanek science fiction series, which after that initial episode continues later as Executive Producer; calm, aesthetic, but loaded with meaning; original, with a certain fascinating point in how it addresses the issues it faces, some would say like an auteur “Black Mirror”, although in my opinion that's reducing it a bit.

Because although technology and its weight are an important part of the series, literally scattered across the meadows, and conditioning the lives of the inhabitants of a small town, in the end, it is a very humanistic series, where the important thing is the people, and how they live, what happens to them. How they face it.

Each chapter tells a different story, individual, but with its characters interrelated in such a way that, at the end, throughout the episodes, one has the feeling of having seen different points of view, or moments, or events of the inhabitants of the same town; of the members of the same family.

It all starts from a very simple plot: a subway Institute where “the impossible” of the universe, physics or technology is investigated, where everyone works, although no one talks about it. A retro-futuristic town that seems to be anchored in the 60's, at the same time that they have gadgets of a future that never came.

They are slow chapters, free of any rushed action. And shot with a good taste, and a care, typical of when the platforms (still) financed series made with the main ambition of being well done. Beyond the fashion of the moment. Because “Tales from the Loop” is a series that goes against the moment, against certain fashions.

The cast is completed by Rebeca Hall, daughter of Pryce's character, some good TV actors, or Ti West and Jodie Foster directing the last episodes.
Ironically, it was never officially cancelled, but remained on standby. It was never ruled out to continue with more stories, and ideas have continued to accumulate in case someday the opportunity to shoot them arises. There is no rush either.

One of the best moments when watching TV series is when you find something you did not expect, that you did not know, and it seduces you to the point of making you enjoy several nights in a row on your couch. That you miss more episodes.

It's not for all tastes. But I loved it.

• Like 10

• ★ Administrators ★
1 hour ago, Casiusco said:

tales-from-the-loop-poster.jpg

I have to admit that I had never heard of it. And that's the crux of the matter, I don't know why. My oversight? I don't know, but why?

I arrived almost unintentionally, and pressed “Play” just because the director of the first episode is Mark Romanek. Almost instantly, just a few seconds before, I realized that it's a 2020 series, which only had one season, which didn't look good, but, at the same time, since “One Hour Photo” I feel a certain predilection for him, and I gave it a try.

Close-up, Jonathan Pryce talking to camera.

Soon, in the background, music by Philip Glass.

“Tales from the Loop” struck me as a little wonder, hidden, very little talked about. A Romanek science fiction series, which after that initial episode continues later as Executive Producer; calm, aesthetic, but loaded with meaning; original, with a certain fascinating point in how it addresses the issues it faces, some would say like an auteur “Black Mirror”, although in my opinion that's reducing it a bit.

Because although technology and its weight are an important part of the series, literally scattered across the meadows, and conditioning the lives of the inhabitants of a small town, in the end, it is a very humanistic series, where the important thing is the people, and how they live, what happens to them. How they face it.

Each chapter tells a different story, individual, but with its characters interrelated in such a way that, at the end, throughout the episodes, one has the feeling of having seen different points of view, or moments, or events of the inhabitants of the same town; of the members of the same family.

It all starts from a very simple plot: a subway Institute where “the impossible” of the universe, physics or technology is investigated, where everyone works, although no one talks about it. A retro-futuristic town that seems to be anchored in the 60's, at the same time that they have gadgets of a future that never came.

They are slow chapters, free of any rushed action. And shot with a good taste, and a care, typical of when the platforms (still) financed series made with the main ambition of being well done. Beyond the fashion of the moment. Because “Tales from the Loop” is a series that goes against the moment, against certain fashions.

The cast is completed by Rebeca Hall, daughter of Pryce's character, some good TV actors, or Ti West and Jodie Foster directing the last episodes.
Ironically, it was never officially cancelled, but remained on standby. It was never ruled out to continue with more stories, and ideas have continued to accumulate in case someday the opportunity to shoot them arises. There is no rush either.

One of the best moments when watching TV series is when you find something you did not expect, that you did not know, and it seduces you to the point of making you enjoy several nights in a row on your couch. That you miss more episodes.

It's not for all tastes. But I loved it.

@Casiusco This one slipped under my radar as well but it sounds like something I'd really enjoy. Thanks for pointing it out! - Ken

• Like 5

Fright night (the original).  The only one really. 

fright night horror GIF by absurdnoise

fright night horror GIF by absurdnoise 

I then proceeded to look for part 2. .  I did not find any where to watch it.  Importantance of physical media.   Makes me more excited for Cinemuseum to produce their version.     Great 80's comedy horror. 👏.   First watch.   Love this hobby.    Thanks for your time.   

@Casiusco looking for a new series to watch. Will definitely check this out. Thanks.   

• Like 7

🥤📺🎬💽 :) 🍿🧋🤠 👽 watched 

image.gif.ff8658edd74eed04c5e02f88cb09ab5a.gif

Mon Jun 3 ‘24 

*The Great Locomotive Chase (1956) 🤠 🤠 🤠 🤠 🤠 

During the Civil War, a Union spy, Andrews, is asked to lead a band of Union soldiers into the South so that they could destroy the railway system. However, things don't go as planned when the conductor of the train that they stole is on to them and is doing everything he can to stop them. Based…

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3

• Like 5

I remember this one would come on Sunday quite often when I was a small kid. As I said in a prior post Sunday seemed like it was the horror day. After church we'd come home my mom would put on dinner iron clothes for the week and you could always count on plenty of scary movies to come on.

proxy-image (7).jpeg

• Like 7

i just watched

THE GREAT ESCAPER

staring michael caine and glenda jackson

have to say one of the best films he has ever singley done from a human prospective of ALL sides of the war, it got me so emotionally 

the story line is a ww2 vet in a retirement home that wants to go back visit normandy, the home have left it too late for him to go on official visiting parties

so we wakes up and goes on his own and this where the story starts to unfold and takes you thru all the emotions and people he meets along the way

also about his full life story with his partner in the film (glenda jackson)

i wont say anymore than that as not wanting to spoil it for you all

but if you love war films, love love films, love life films. Then this is for you 👍

but it does put you thru a range of emotions and the filming shows the english way of things very cinematically

also this glenda jackson's last film before passing in real life she passed just before the promoting of the film and shortly afterwards the promotion of this film michael caine retired himself

personally i give this a 10 and it is very rare i say this

this can be bought very reasonably blu ray on amazon for about £9 delivered unfortunately there is no 4k , so glad i bought this 

The Great Escaper

my advice DON'T watch the trailer just buy the film/stream the film if must and watch it 👍

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14124080/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_8_nm_0_q_the%20great%20ecasper

basil 😃

• Like 6
  • Love 1

🥤📺🎬💽 :) 🍿🧋🤠 👽 watched 

image.gif.ff8658edd74eed04c5e02f88cb09ab5a.gif

Sat Jun 8 ‘24 

*A Dark Place (2019)   ️ 1/2

When a young boy, goes missing, in a sleepy Western Pennsylvania town a local sanitation truck driver named Donny takes it upon himself to investigate. Donny starts to fixate on finding out what has happened to the child. With the local sheriff warning him off, and the town reacting to the disappearance in a variety of confusing and out of character ways, Donny becomes more determined to learn the truth which leads to unthinkable and harrowing consequences. A DARK PLACE is a dark and compelling thriller…

• Like 2

friosa-vert-tsr-2764x4096-dom-1702328214406.thumb.jpg.5b5ccbe136f6ddf129d711154c80ba74.jpg

I treated myself to a trip to the theater yesterday afternoon to see Furiosa and dug the hell out of it! I'm disappointed this hasn't done better at the box office. Furiosa was already shuffled off to one of the smaller auditoriums at my local theater, and I was one of three people to show up for the 12:15 showing.

George Miller has talked about having a Mad Max Fury Road prequel story running concurrent with Furiosa's story. Given how poorly this one has been faring at the theater, I'm guessing we probably won't get that Max movie for a good long while, if ever. And with streaming, digital platforms, disc markets, and clueless studio execs what they are nowadays, it feels like finding a successful enough rebound in the home video market to keep a franchise going doesn't exist anymore (outside of the MCU or DCU). Or maybe I'm just being a downer. I suppose time will tell, eh?

Anyway, I'm glad I preordered the steelbook a few weeks ago, and am very much looking forward to getting my hands on the HMV exclusive thanks to the groupbuy here. I really hope we get another Mad Max movie out of Miller and Warner Bros. sometime soon. Fingers crossed!

• Like 6
  • Love 1

On 6/8/2024 at 10:09 AM, Basil said:

i just watched

THE GREAT ESCAPER

staring michael caine and glenda jackson

have to say one of the best films he has ever singley done from a human prospective of ALL sides of the war, it got me so emotionally

basil 😃

Definitely agree this film was really enjoyable.

Have you seen One Life with Anthony Hopkins? Brilliant - some very emotional scenes and also based on true events.

• Like 2

Awards