IGNORED

What did you watch last night???

Basil

serie-ellos-them-amazon-prime-video-pelo

I have watched both seasons of this series back to back.

They are independent seasons, with different stories, and set in different times, but they share the same tone linked to the everyday life of black characters in local realities developed in environments where whites rule, linked to racism but also to the psychosis or neurosis of people regardless of their race, and to horror stories that find their raison d'être in a stylised and intelligent mix of all of the above.

The first season tells the story of a black family who move to a very white, slightly posh neighbourhood in Compton in the 1950s. The clash is evident from the start, but everyone there has a past, and everyone is dragging their own stones. 

By the way, in the penultimate episode they do a little imitation of the already mythical Eighth Chapter of the third season of Twin Peaks, and, without going so high, they manage to do something very interesting.

The second season tells the story of a murder investigation, almost doing a little imitation of "True Detective" dressed up as "Them" and its tone, but it soon veers towards that suffocating and terrifying tone that we found in the first season.

I liked it a lot, I had a great time watching it, and, although the first season is better known, I had an even better time with the second.

The most striking thing for me has been the narrative tone that the creators have achieved, mixing social racism with a certain taste for people's mental problems, and an elegant but sometimes forceful horror that keeps you easily attentive. All this seasoned with a very careful staging, an aesthetic very of its time, and a very intelligent tempo when developing the stories, but, more important here, its characters.

• Like 4

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I originally wasn't aware the Airport films were part of a series of some sort. I've been fascinated with these old school airplane disaster films and of course during the year I just might possibly be taking a fligt somewhere. The first one in 5 years.

proxy-image(1).jpg

• Like 4

graphics text GIF

🥤📺🎬💽 :) 🍿🧋watched 

image.gif.ff8658edd74eed04c5e02f88cb09ab5a.gif 

Wed May 15 ‘24 

*Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (2024) 🧙🧙🧙🧙🧙

image.jpeg.fe9d952eba5cbffd8b464532e5ec13a4.jpeg

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes' ending ends the central conflict between Noa and Proximus Caesar while setting up a new trilogy with major revelations.The main story revolves around Noa's search for what remains of Eagle Clan after Proximus Caesar's army burns down their village and 

I enjoyed this 6th entry into the Apes saga as the lead of Noa was fantastic!

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Veum said:

Good Luck Charlie Idk GIF Jim Carrey Lol GIF

Miami Vice 80S GIF

OK there are 10 Planet of the Ape films so far for me 🦍 🦧

1. Planet of the Apes (1968)

2, Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970)

3. Escape from the Planet of the Apes (1971)

4. Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (1972)

5. Battle for the Planet of the Apes (1973)

6. Planet of the Apes (2001)

7. Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)

8. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)

9. War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

10. Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (2024)

image.thumb.jpeg.c8841d6c2688da29a27c825a7b043853.jpeg

• Like 3

graphics text GIF

Fri May 17 ‘24 

*Obi-Wan Kenobi (2024) Part 1 and 2 🧙🧙🧙🧙🧙

image.jpeg.1e8e86a1b2c99c0928af945ffed39620.jpeg

Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi watches over young Luke Skywalker and evades the Empire's elite Jedi hunters during his exile on the desert planet Tatooine.

Enjoying the 1st 2 parts as bringing Obi-Wan back is exciting and the PQ and landscape is fab❣️

• Like 5

IMG_1909.thumb.jpeg.936b32b9b52b0a1aeaca40926bea18fa.jpeg

Hadn’t seen it since the 90s and forgot how much fun it is.  Trashy, noir fun with poor clueless  Michael Douglas in the Walter Neff role.  

4K transfer is flawed but good and it’s still such a cool looking, stylized movie even with some the occasional flaws.

The extras actually look interesting on this one.  May have to take another run though it, one of the extras is a commentary track with Camille Paglia which sounds hilarious and intriguing.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Veum said:

🤠 Is this the 88 Films 4K version which I need to watch, how is it? 🤔 

Love me some diabolical VP, Mouhahaha! 😳 

Unfortunately not. This was on prime on the mgm live channel. Came on late and I forced myself to stay up but it was good.

• Like 2

graphics text GIF

Sat May 18 ‘24 

Dune: Part 2 (2024) 👽👽👽👽👽

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3

Duke Paul Atreides joins the Fremen and begins a spiritual and martial journey to become Muad'dib, while trying to prevent the horrible but inevitable future he's witnessed: a Holy War in his name, spreading throughout the known universe.

Enjoyed this even better then the 1st, the landscapes were fabulous and enjoyed the calling and riding the worms!

*Obi-Wan Kenobi (2024) Part 3 and 4 🧙🧙🧙🧙🧙

image.jpeg.e61fcd32e725730b5c284811918c605a.jpeg

Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi watches over young Luke Skywalker and evades the Empire's elite Jedi hunters during his exile on the desert planet Tatooine.

Edited by Veum
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Veum said:

graphics text GIF

Sat May 18 ‘24 

Dune: Part 2 (2024) 👽👽👽👽👽

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3

Duke Paul Atreides joins the Fremen and begins a spiritual and martial journey to become Muad'dib, while trying to prevent the horrible but inevitable future he's witnessed: a Holy War in his name, spreading throughout the known universe.

Enjoyed this even better then the 1st, the landscapes were fabulous and enjoyed the calling and riding the worms!

I thought the 2nd one was even better as well.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Also came across this one and was finally able to watch it all the way through.

sxpra.jpg

Oh man, brings back memories. I had to watch this for a university class once. I thought the film was "okay" but I just loved that the professor used it in a class on futurism. He was cool.

• Like 3

IMG_2016.thumb.jpeg.b1dbf9337eba744b454c842b2e71e83e.jpeg

It seems all of my movies this week involve beautiful women without clothes.  I’ve had worse weeks.  

Movie’s 60s feel is perfect and Paris (and the apartment it mostly takes place in) is beautiful.  Movie does a great job of bringing back the pre-phone era, when people could just turn off the TV, forget the existence of the rest of the world and get as weird as they liked.

It’s not for everyone, but I’ve always found this movie fascinating. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

graphics text GIF

Tue May 21 ‘24 

Morbius (2022) 👽👽👽👽

image.jpeg.9ef93dbfce21d0adf9be9f6298e3ac67.jpeg

Biochemist Michael Morbius tries to cure himself of a rare blood disease, but he inadvertently infects himself with a form of vampirism instead.

Entertaining enough for me with some Vampirism and an unworldly friendship that will…

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Veum said:

graphics text GIF

Tue May 21 ‘24 

Morbius (2022) 👽👽👽👽

image.jpeg.9ef93dbfce21d0adf9be9f6298e3ac67.jpeg

Biochemist Michael Morbius tries to cure himself of a rare blood disease, but he inadvertently infects himself with a form of vampirism instead.

Entertaining enough for me with some Vampirism and an unworldly friendship that will…

I couldn't stand this one. Maybe it was the Script or Jared Leto, just wasn't the Morbius I had grown up with in comics.

• Haha 2