IGNORED

Films worthy of 2001 wcl expanded treatment

Darnoc

Discussion of Heat led to consideration of an expanded set for it, and got me thinking

What would be your top choices for any movie that wcl premium treatment should be given to? I think expanded sets, should be a solid mix of cinematically rich, quality plot, and has strong replayability. Ideally I think 4k scan availability should also be a strong consideration, but not a requirement. It should not have had a premium release by another brand, be by disney(sorry Tron Legacy), and probably shouldn't be apart of a broader series or have a notable sequel (sorry indiana jones and back to the future) due to licensing complexity

Personally, my top five would be:

Usual Suspects

Spies Like Us

Apocalypse Now

Book of Eli

The Crow

How about yours?

• Like 6

il y a 6 minutes, deckard99 a dit :

Ok, these probably don’t meet all the criteria above but I’d still like to see them done one day.

Stargate

The Fifth Element

Serenity (firefly)

Running Man

12 Monkeys

Total Recall

Snowpiercer

And Blade Runner of course😂

Hi Folks;

I believe one of the criteria the OP mentioned was "no existing Premium copy" but no worries.

Wish lists are exactly that, something we wish would happen.

I think the more "epic" or "iconic" the film, the better the chances

Anyway, here's a few I've pulled from other folks posts and added my supporting vote to and also a few (well, 10) I have in mind not yet mentioned;

+1 - Once Upon A Time In The West - 🤗

+1 - Natural Born Killers

+1 - A Clockwork Orange

+1 - Apocalypse Now

- Time Bandits

- Animal House

- Mary Poppins (1st).  [I'm STILL upset Disney did not give the bloody 50th Aniv. of the film a great box-set, like they did Sound Of Music].

- Rocky Horror Picture Show (so much could go into this!)

- Magnificent Seven

- Good, Bad, Ugly

- Dragonslayer 🤗

- Dr. Stranglove

- Cleopatra (Taylor/Burton)

- Brotherhood Of The Wolf (never happen but I can dream can't I ?)

Okay, I could go on and on but with gun put to head, these at least. 🙂

I tried to include one of each genre. Except for "Horror", as there's a new edition for horror fliks every week. 😉

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Robertm89 said:

☝️☝️👆 what a list 👌👌

Whats yours Sweetheart  ??

They rocked my world to the core . 

Ladyhawk  needs  a mention  too just for the disco classical  soundtrack. 

Snowpiercer any realise would be hard pushed to beat the  Kimchi Artbook set. 

So many fantastic  moves already listed by others as well 

giphy-downsized.gif

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Scary Hair said:

My Picks

Watchmen 

Strange Days

The Hitcher 1986

The Abyss

Fright Night 1 + 2 

The Hunt For Red October 

Would love strange days or fright night, if there was enough demand- awesome movies each in their own right

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2019 at 8:47 PM, Grendel said:

Hi Folks;

I believe one of the criteria the OP mentioned was "no existing Premium copy" but no worries.

Wish lists are exactly that, something we wish would happen.

I think the more "epic" or "iconic" the film, the better the chances

Anyway, here's a few I've pulled from other folks posts and added my supporting vote to and also a few (well, 10) I have in mind not yet mentioned;

+1 - Once Upon A Time In The West - 🤗

+1 - Natural Born Killers

+1 - A Clockwork Orange

+1 - Apocalypse Now

- Time Bandits

- Animal House

- Mary Poppins (1st).  [I'm STILL upset Disney did not give the bloody 50th Aniv. of the film a great box-set, like they did Sound Of Music].

- Rocky Horror Picture Show (so much could go into this!)

- Magnificent Seven

- Good, Bad, Ugly

- Dragonslayer 🤗

- Dr. Stranglove

- Cleopatra (Taylor/Burton)

- Brotherhood Of The Wolf (never happen but I can dream can't I ?)

Okay, I could go on and on but with gun put to head, these at least. 🙂

I tried to include one of each genre. Except for "Horror", as there's a new edition for horror fliks every week. 😉

First off, great list here overall. I Would absolutely love gbatu if it had the right love put in- good call. Dr strangelove is one of my all-time favorites, and I love time bandits, but I hesitated from putting these or other criterion bluray releases on my list because I didn't see any wcl releases the criterion has done before, or that many other premium publishers have succeeded with.

I put the criteria in because of how wcl has chosen releases historically- I'm sure there's always the right kinds of situations where they would put a release together if they thought they had something significantly different to offer or demand to fill, despite what other premiums or criterion editions may exist

• Like 1

On 8/13/2019 at 4:17 PM, R1s1ngs0n said:

A Clockwork Orange

Goodfellas

Once Upon A Time In America 

Once Upon A Time In The West

Zodiac

Each of these films is an epic masterpiece deserving of a royal treatment, but perhaps none more so than ‘West’. 

Has wcl ever done 4k yet? Goodfellas would be a good first try if not

Edited by Darnoc
  • Like 1

^^ To my knowledge (admittedly limited) WCL has only released 1 film in 4K, 2001.

There have been some upscales of other films, Unforgiven comes to mind but not released in that medium.

As for Goodfellas, not a premium but the WB release of the slip-cased ed with accompanying hardcover book and a remastered 4K scan (released in 2K) is very nice indeed.

Edited by Grendel

On 8/13/2019 at 1:47 AM, Darnoc said:

Discussion of Heat led to consideration of an expanded set for it, and got me thinking

What would be your top choices for any movie that wcl premium treatment should be given to? I think expanded sets, should be a solid mix of cinematically rich, quality plot, and has strong replayability. Ideally I think 4k scan availability should also be a strong consideration, but not a requirement. It should not have had a premium release by another brand, be by disney(sorry Tron Legacy), and probably shouldn't be apart of a broader series or have a notable sequel (sorry indiana jones and back to the future) due to licensing complexity

Usual Suspects

Spies Like Us

Apocalypse Now

Book of Eli

The Crow

How about yours?

🤠 Hey @Darnoc I just ordered the BestBuy 4K steelbook of Apocalypse Now... it is getting top reviews for its restoration! 🎬

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2019 at 8:13 PM, Grendel said:

Great call @Scary Hair for The Abyss !!!

I have no idea what the issue with that film is but we still don't even (to my knowledge) have a dang BLU-RAY (physical copy) yet?

If anyone knows why, I'd be anxious to find out.

It won't be released without James Cameron's input and he's busy making a gazillion Avatar sequels!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Am 13.8.2019 um 07:47 schrieb Darnoc:

Usual Suspects

Spies Like Us

Apocalypse Now

Book of Eli

The Crow

How about yours?

I think Apocalypse Now and Silence of the Lambs would fit these criteria well. Both have not have premium releases yet. They are "cinematically rich" and are quite popular, so the demand is definitely there, so the risk for WCL would be pretty low.

Other Kubrick titles are strong contenders as well, especially Clockwork Orange. The popular David Lynch titles would sell well, too. There exists no premium release for Mulholland Dr. at all, which has quite a large fanbase.

Considering how popular Nolan is, Memento would be huge as well.

Edited by 4kiraL
  • Like 4

I have read the thread carefully, and I think that films have been named that deserve a collector's edition well, and better if it is with a generous treatment like WCL "2001, A Space Odyssey".

Of those that you have already named, and that do NOT have a collector's edition, I think that both because they are very good films, and because of the followers they have, the following would be interesting for WCL:

• Usual Suspects
  • The Abyss
  • Memento 
  • A Clockwork Orange
  • Zodiac
  • The Silence of the Lambs
  • Dr. Stranglove
  • Cleopatra 

In this list almost all of them ensure very good sales.

And I would add also from great famous directors:

• Barry Lindon (Kubrick)
  • La dolce vita (Fellini)
  • THX 1138 (Lucas)
  • In the mood for love (Kar-Wai)
  • Blue Velvet (Lynch)

I also like a lot of movies more, listed and not listed, fut for a usual collector's edition, not extended treatment.

And from this thread, among those that have already HAVE a collector's edition, I would like to see again the following:

• Apocalypse Now
  • 12 Monkeys
  • Goodfellas (Is it ToC a Premiun Edition. I've some doubts about this...)

@4kiraL About Mulholland Dr., there was a Spanish collector edition, differente than usual, made by a regular distributor, limited but not numbered, with a hard full slip, includying a digipack, 3 discs,  and a little booklet. Very beautiful for me, and absolutely sold out. You can see it here.

• Like 4

il y a 8 minutes, Casiusco a dit :

I have read the thread carefully, and I think that films have been named that deserve a collector's edition well, and better if it is with a generous treatment like WCL "2001, A Space Odyssey".

Of those that you have already named, and that do NOT have a collector's edition, I think that both because they are very good films, and because of the followers they have, the following would be interesting for WCL:

• Usual Suspects
  • The Abyss
  • Memento 
  • A Clockwork Orange
  • Zodiac
  • The Silence of the Lambs
  • Dr. Stranglove
  • Cleopatra 

In this list almost all of them ensure very good sales.

And I would add also from great famous directors:

• Barry Lindon (Kubrick)
  • La dolce vita (Fellini)
  • THX 1138 (Lucas)
  • In the mood for love (Kar-Wai)
  • Blue Velvet (Lynch)

I also like a lot of movies more, listed and not listed, fut for a usual collector's edition, not extended treatment.

And from this thread, among those that have already HAVE a collector's edition, I would like to see again the following:

• Apocalypse Now
  • 12 Monkeys
  • Goodfellas (Is it ToC a Premiun Edition. I've some doubts about this...)

@4kiraL About Mulholland Dr., there was a Spanish collector edition, differente than usual, made by a regular distributor, limited but not numbered, with a hard full slip, includying a digipack, 3 discs,  and a little booklet. Very beautiful for me, and absolutely sold out. You can see it here.

Totally agree with your list and most of the movies mentioned in this thread for a gorgeous premium 

but I don't know if movies like The Abyss, Zodiac or even Memento are in WCL's publishing line when you look at the previous releases? 

Of course i could be wrong because when you look at the totality of the releases of this retailer, in my opinion three films denotes a little compared to the whole Fargo, Heat and Unforgiven 

so why not 

I would also like to add to this list for a premium

- The Truman Show 

- Duck, You Sucker A Fistful Of Dynamite

- In The Heat Of The Night 

- Misery

- Brazil

- Ghost Dog

- The Deer Hunter

and maybe add some Kubrick (Barry Lyndon like you said) and Hitchcock (Dial M For Murder, North By Northwest, Strangers On A Train,...)

who also deserve a premium treatment (at WCL if possible)

• Like 4

vor 45 Minuten schrieb Casiusco:

Looks really nice!!! Never seen that one before, thanks!

Hm, but do we count editions from regular distributors like that as Premium treatment? If yes then the criterion release of Mulholland Dr. would also count as Premium I guess (Full Slip Digipack plus Booklet).

I know that Apocalypse Now has some collector's editions from standard retailers but I don't think it has a Premium release yet?

I also think it's important to consider the popularity of a movie here. As much as I'd love to have a 2001 Level treatment of The Abyss, the reality is there is not that much certainty if that would sell well I think. But I hope I'm wrong though.

• Like 2