IGNORED

Media Psychos Psycho Challenge! NEW: CHALLENGE 38 IS NOW LIVE!

extantsrevenge

• ★ Administrators ★

@★ Members ★

summer-chillin.gif

Ups, that was a longer Summer Break 🤣. Might have to to with the fact that not so many members took the chance to submit any of the old challenges 😪.

Anyway

giphy.gif

For the moment we don't plan to do a new challenge every week (as it is to time consuming for the one organizing this 😅), but we plan to drop a new challenge from time to time. It also depends on how many participate and show interest.

The new challenge will be open until the next one starts. A few random and rotating old challenges will be open as well (see the first post for details).

new_psycho_challenge_starting_gleaming_metal_gold.gif.1b0a0448d5a5d19ab46893f91bdd157a.gif

NEW CHALLENGE #36 IS NOW LIVE!

Challenge 36 - "A Year in Review"

With 2023 ending soon our newest Challenge is asking the Question:

What are your 3 favorite regular Steelbooks releases of the year?

- No Premium WWE Steelbooks allowed, only mass market releases.

- If you did not get 3 WWA Steelbooks you can also share other regular releases.

team-josh-nico-tortorella.gif

• Like 24
  • Haha 2

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• ★ Administrators ★

Here is my entry for challenge 36.

My favorite regular Steelbooks releases of the year are:

- Bloodsport 4K Steelbook (released in Germany & the UK), it is absolutely stunning with embossed front and cool artwork. A perfect releases for the best JCVD movie made.

- Batman: Mask of the Phantasm 4K Steelbook (released in UK & France), a dream come true. I never tought I would get a Steelbook for this awesome movie and then we get one with 4K, for the first time in the original aspect ratio. It also has amazing artwork. I love this movie, every aspect of it is great, the perfect Batman Story.

- Le Pacte des Loups (Pakt der Wölfe) 4K Steelbook (German release, in 22 released in France with French title). Stunning Steelbook with debossed title, also a movie I tought I would never see released in a Steelbook.

- Prey 4K Steelbook  (released in several regions). I'm including this as I like the movie and since it was such a positive surprise that we got a physical release for this previously only available to stream movie.

Challenge36.thumb.JPG.58cdda7934225240fc0d381c6c286121.JPG

• Like 26

• extantsrevenge changed the title to Media Psychos Psycho Challenge! NEW: CHALLENGE 36 IS NOW LIVE!

I don’t recall any other year since I started collecting that offered so little in terms of interesting editions, Premium or otherwise.

0 WWA steels for me this year, although I was very tempted by the beautiful UK steel of The Wicker Man. 
Also, I did buy the equally nice Casablanca steel but that was for the wife.

So amaray editions it is…

Picnic At Hanging Rock from Second Sight

Carlito’s Way from Arrow Video

Le Magnifique from Studio Canal

image.thumb.jpeg.96227100b83197bfc9292a42e1270263.jpeg

• Like 21

3 hours ago, extantsrevenge said:

Challenge 36 - "A Year in Review"

With 2023 ending soon our newest Challenge is asking the Question:

What are your 3 favorite regular Steelbooks releases of the year?

"Favorite" might be pushing it, but here's my picks!

20231212_033935.thumb.jpg.7f83d972d04be3120f3dd34397a209b7.jpg

The pink bombshell, Barbie!

The caped crusader, Batman!

And the frickin' Guardians of the Galaxy!

• Like 23

Awwww yeah! New challenges! Thanks @extantsrevenge

Here are my top 3 - I feel like 2023 recap needs to include Prey and Oppenheimer. At least in the US both of these sold out real fast and people were/are scalping them for absurd prices. Prey got a repress but not sure if it’s still available or back to expensive prices. Oppenheimer is still expensive. Lawrence of Arabia was similar and is a downright meme but I think that was originally released last year? I don’t remember. So my third steel is Guardians which I thought was a great movie and an awesome looking steel.

IMG_1637.thumb.jpeg.eb0fbf2984d0d2d5d529d572e297c55f.jpeg

• Like 21

Challenge #36 @extantsrevenge  Nice, was wondering a few weeks ago when will this start up again.  

Some of my favorite regular releases for 2023

1)  Lords of Dogtown - Have not paid much attention of Wal-Mart of late. Guess with BB getting out of the game, i will have to in the future.

2)  Evil Dead Rise -  Never much into horror, but i did enjoy this release.  Had to buy the Steelbook when BB dropped it even though i already had the regular release.

3)  John Wick 4 - Multiple Retailers. 

20231212_122951.thumb.jpg.ecbb4a078235494322de06f097bde3e8.jpg

• Like 20

Well well @extantsrevenge that's

a really nice idea to start the new round !

CHALLENGE # 36

"A YEAR IN REVIEW"

These are my favorite WWA releases of 2023 as regards the overall visual appearance of the Steelbooks.

CUTTRHOAT ISLAND

As I'm always a fan of original poster artwork, I was particularly pleased with this release of an adventure classic,

especially as the steel has also been donated an - at least modest - embossing.

CutThroatIslanWWASteelbook.thumb.png.4262f4488690d4c097382b5f745fffc1.png

TALK TO ME

This atmospheric horror film has been given an extremely minimalist and therefore all the more aesthetic Steelbook,

which features both frame debossing and letter outline embossing that is surprisingly precisely crafted for a WWA Steel.

TalkToMeWWASteelbook.thumb.png.74e05b5097c062e784b5da5edc9a04f6.png

THE MALTESE FALCON

And this is my favorite WWA Steel of 2023, as with this Steelbook, richly embossed on both the front and back,

Warner has paid adequate tribute to this Milestone - incidentally the debut movie of legendary Director John Huston,

rightly considered the birth of Film Noir.

An interesting detail:

The back shows Humphrey Bogart (as detective Sam Spade) in a rear view through the ribbed glass pane of the very door

at he is standing on the front of the steel - the title lettering on the back is mirror-inverted accordingly.

A truly splendid WWA Steelbook.

TheMalteseFalconWWASteelbook.thumb.png.edf005021979c6c819e23d5398cb482d.png

TheMalteseFalconWWASteelbookFrontBack.thumb.png.89a951f05fb2dea4aaf1e37b995c2df0.png

I guess this will do the challenge and - as always - I hope You and Your eyes enjoy the Pictures.

:)

• Like 21

YAY! Challenges are back again. These are always fun to do, so thanks for starting them up again @extantsrevenge.

CHALLENGE 36 - "A YEAR IN REVIEW"

Three of my favs this year were all streaming originals which received physical releases. All the proof I need that physical media is still alive and thriving. 

1. Prey

20231212_184016.thumb.jpg.19d1bc08d31262b08951c771d885b271.jpg

2. The Mandalorian Season 1

20231212_183950.thumb.jpg.3d71756b1ab29e3f04edb6fbcfd059d9.jpg

3. The Mandalorian Season 2

20231212_184003.thumb.jpg.45365e1fb1cc7cecfc5e7ce53da407c9.jpg

20231212_183909.thumb.jpg.ae4efdbcb80e13f7bcd504e60bcf9d3a.jpg

• Like 17

1 hour ago, F.M.S said:

Well well @extantsrevenge that's

a really nice idea to start the new round !

CHALLENGE # 36

"A YEAR IN REVIEW"

These are my favorite WWA releases of 2023 as regards the overall visual appearance of the Steelbooks.

CUTTRHOAT ISLAND

As I'm always a fan of original poster artwork, I was particularly pleased with this release of an adventure classic,

especially as the steel has also been donated an - at least modest - embossing.

CutThroatIslanWWASteelbook.thumb.png.4262f4488690d4c097382b5f745fffc1.png

TALK TO ME

This atmospheric horror film has been given an extremely minimalist and therefore all the more aesthetic Steelbook,

which features both frame debossing and letter outline embossing that is surprisingly precisely crafted for a WWA Steel.

TalkToMeWWASteelbook.thumb.png.74e05b5097c062e784b5da5edc9a04f6.png

THE MALTESE FALCON

And this is my favorite WWA Steel of 2023, as with this Steelbook, richly embossed on both the front and back,

Warner has paid adequate tribute to this Milestone - incidentally the debut movie of legendary Director John Huston,

rightly considered the birth of Film Noir.

An interesting detail:

The back shows Humphrey Bogart (as detective Sam Spade) in a rear view through the ribbed glass pane of the very door

at he is standing on the front of the steel - the title lettering on the back is mirror-inverted accordingly.

A truly splendid WWA Steelbook.

TheMalteseFalconWWASteelbook.thumb.png.edf005021979c6c819e23d5398cb482d.png

TheMalteseFalconWWASteelbookFrontBack.thumb.png.89a951f05fb2dea4aaf1e37b995c2df0.png

I guess this will do the challenge and - as always - I hope You and Your eyes enjoy the Pictures.

:)

That Maltese Falcon steelbook really is beautiful.  I can practically feel the window texture just looking at it.

• Like 7

Pretty good year for WWA steelbooks! Though one studio (whose name I won't mention) clogged up the WWA landscape with the "Disney100" line, other studios brought out some creative editions. I totally agree with @F.M.S that the Maltese Falcon steel is a lot of fun, perfectly executed. Here are three others that I liked this year:

IMG_4370.thumb.jpg.ad23eeb5c137545b447f33a17f4999bb.jpg

1. The new Schindler's List steel is, in my opinion, far superior to the previous one. And the extra packaging from outside the US made it a really fine edition.

2. I love steelbooks for classics, and the Rebel without a Cause steel is beautiful. For me, the perfect finish for that vintage-photo look. Very clean design.

3. Strange New Worlds is the first time in decades I've been interested in Star Trek. The season one steelbook has a great cover. Back cover, not as good (Why silhouettes? Why not show the characters?). But overall, I like it.

Honorable mentions: Cool Hand Luke (UK); The Mandalorian 1 & 2; It Came from Outer Space

Disappointments: Oppenheimer. The debossed title is great, but both WWA steels (especially the Best Buy) are hindered by bland finishes.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Challenge 36

I haven’t been buying very many wwa steelbooks lately. These are my favorite releases of this year.

Starting with Volver. I absolutely love this film. The movie really is a moving piece of art. Colors that pop and a performance from Cruz that really elevated her career.

Roman Holiday would be my next favorite. The 4K transfer was amazing and I’ve always loved Audrey Hepburn. 

Then it would be the long awaited 4K transfer of one of my favorite movies growing up. The Monster Squad. 

IMG_2943.thumb.jpeg.c84451d26eef302147dcb7d4073bb872.jpeg

• Like 15

• ★ Administrators ★

WOW-Russell.gif

What a great start to the new challenge, that is more than I hoped for 🤩.

Nice choices @CAYENNE-FAHRER 👍

thumbs-up-approval.gif

@Peter M good to see the Bloodsport Steelbook featured in a nother list. I can't wait to get my Point Break Steelbook.

@R1s1ngs0n I have to agree with you, this year is not so strong. I looked through all my arrival pictures from this year to find my favorite Steelbooks and I was a bit shocked how  uninspiring premium retailers have been, still some nice releases but hardly any that really got me excited.

@InfiniteDoors thanks for also including Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. In our Challenge 20 (back in February) we asked members to show Movies that they would like to receive a Steelbook release and it has made me very happy that 2 Movies I included (Bloodsport and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm) actually got one and then both also ended up in my favorite list 😃

@Catgirl that Picard Steelbook is awesome, I love the 3rd Season it think it was my favorite TV show of the year, the perfect goodbye.

@bl4ck5t3r 2nd time we see Loki 👍, I like that one too.

@Veum another inclusion of Point Break

giphy.gif

Welcome to the Challenge @MovieLover85, great choices. Prey seems to be popular ☺️ and Oppenheimer too @Mrdugan , I still need to watch that 😅

Nice Mediabooks @Blu Magic Ray 👌

Another new face in the challenge, welcome @Lordgladiator. I really like that Sisu Steelbook, another Movie I still have to watch.

Wow you're also here for the first time @Heywoodmoutaw, thanks so much for participating.

Great selection @bossjon , surprised you're the first to have John Wick in here, the German Steelbook looks really cool.

@F.M.S I also love poster art, I wish they would use them much more. The Maltese Falcon would have made my extended list, really great looking and clever Steelbook and embossing on both sides 😍

@TechSpec924 can't wait to get my Mandalorian, I think they look terrific.

@ethnosax completely agree with you on Schindler's List, a much better Steelbook 👍

Welcome back @Reagh and thank you for instantly jumping on the challenge 🙏. Also who doesn't love Audrey 😍

6842ba7ed46ae8903846190a0fcb6d14c81b02d1.gif

Very cool to have such a positive reponse to the challenge return, keep the posts coming 🙂

And don't forget at the moment the following old challenges are also open: 1, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 & 35.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

I'm happy about the new challenge! Thank you for all the work you're doing with this, Nils! @extantsrevenge I really appreciate it! 🙏 Some steelbooks have already been shown that I also had on my shortlist (Bloodsport, Maltese Falcon, Loki...).

Sisu has also already been shown. I'll take it anyway, as a representative of the style with the transparent sleeves, which I like. I would actually have chosen 3:10 to Yuma, but it came out in 2022.

Then I really liked Hannibal this year. Nice artwork and embossing.

And thirdly, I chose Sleepy Hollow because I found the style of this Fabelo steelbook quite innovative.

1.thumb.jpg.815ceb523f3c301dfa02d0e44ab679ba.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.efdae8bf81c0e8298d49045606ce9036.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.d1461bc666c9486fa8a8110dd1ecab2c.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.b237b1be49312871d0622fa14f21cb98.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.c3f78b92598dc9a12a79320f54a43d53.jpg

• Like 19

11 hours ago, TechSpec924 said:

YAY! Challenges are back again. These are always fun to do, so thanks for starting them up again @extantsrevenge.

CHALLENGE 36 - "A YEAR IN REVIEW"

Three of my favs this year were all streaming originals which received physical releases. All the proof I need that physical media is still alive and thriving. 

1. Prey

20231212_184016.thumb.jpg.19d1bc08d31262b08951c771d885b271.jpg

2. The Mandalorian Season 1

20231212_183950.thumb.jpg.3d71756b1ab29e3f04edb6fbcfd059d9.jpg

3. The Mandalorian Season 2

20231212_184003.thumb.jpg.45365e1fb1cc7cecfc5e7ce53da407c9.jpg

20231212_183909.thumb.jpg.ae4efdbcb80e13f7bcd504e60bcf9d3a.jpg

The Mandalorians would probably be on my list if I HAD THEM BY NOW from the mouse 🐭 

DMC 😠 

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1