IGNORED

Media Psychos Psycho Challenge! NEW: CHALLENGE 38 IS NOW LIVE!

extantsrevenge

Challenge #36

1) First up is Scarface. I was ecstatic when this was announced. I still remember waiting on the Mantalab release that sadly never happened and I held off on buying the standard edition in hopes that another one would be released

2) Next is Lord of War. Probably my favorite Nic Cage movie. I still have the old 2006 Blu-ray that had a woman bizarrely explaining how menus worked on Blu-ray...in the menu as if DVD had never existed. I still put it on sometimes for a good laugh. I thought the glasses slip was a little cheesy at first but it won me over after seeing it in person.

3) Lastly, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. This steelbook is just gorgeous. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. I was skeptical going into this movie due to Chadwick Boseman's passing but it surprised me and became one of the most fun Marvel movies I've watched in a while.

20231213_192616.thumb.jpg.e1bc6f3959ce6f46dc5a6913180dfa5e.jpg

• Like 20

Awards

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Catgirl oh yes... STAR TREK Picard • Season 3 

What a glorious Finale of this Show, bringing back all the classic feelings and paying a deserved tribute - it was cinematic  (the Steel just did'nt made it into my favorite 3 because it lacks any kind of em- or debossing...😎)

@CAYENNE-FAHRER thank's for Your selection - that picture reminded me how urgently I need to get hold of this D'Artagnan - Steel !!!

@extantsrevenge @Peter M  did'nt knew how great the Bloodsport Steelbook was, until I looked at Your pics (must also get on my Christmas shopping list...)

@InfiniteDoors (and yes... Nils again too 🙃) how could I miss this PHANTASMIC BATMAN Steelbook ??? (Search mode On !)

@ethnosax 

Thanks for the Agreement to my view of The Maltese Falcon Steel - but this one goes right back, because Rebel Without A Cause is indeed a particularly elegantly designed edition that reflects the character of the film.

I also share Your view of the appearance of the new Schindler's List Edition!

And Strange New Worlds - another Series that re-celebrates the classic Star Trek spirit - in a dusted-off way...

@Gentleman Great Selection. Here, too, Your photos (HANNIBAL) have revealed a gap in my collection that requires immediate filling 🙂

A little more debossing and Sleepy Hollow would have made it onto my list of my three favorite WEAs of 2023 (actually, it's at least number 3 1/2 😀) - especially because the term steelbook seems to be taken literally here - a concept that I would like to see implemented more often instead of Media-/DigiBooks...

And last but not least:

Typical @Reagh... always has an exceptional selection to offer...

Which proves - You are needed here!

Therefore:

Really Good To have You back !!! 

(All the others not mentioned personally: Everybody did a nice Job :))

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

• ★ Administrators ★

Thanks @Gentleman nice selection. Need to see Sisu.

I got the Scarface Steelbook this week @HeightOfFolly and I think it turned out better than expected.

icegif-193.gif

Welcome to the Psycho Challenge @Menyo I like that Drive also very much.

Yes @F.M.S you absolutely need to get Bloodsport and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, must own editions 😊

It is very interesting to see how almost all Psychos have different Steelbooks included, we have only a few that are mentioned more times.

At the moment the most popular Steelbooks are:

4270168741c2951537e3d2e6789b6466.gif vs 219527.gif

1: Oppenheimer & Prey included 5 times

2: Equalizer 3 included 3 times

3: Batman: MotP, Bloodsport, Guardians 3, John Wick 4 NL, Point Break & Sisu included 2 times.

Hopefully more Psychos will join us in the new challenge in the next few days

are_you_psycho_enough_gleaming_metal_silver.gif.152d677375f98f9cb5620e1bbab11a7b.gif

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

I meant to do more catching up over the summer... too much pro-cat-stination (got a kitten!).

But here's my challenge 36 entry!

1. John Wick 4 - I have a few different copies but this one that came from zavvi is a favourite!

2. Across the Spider-verse - I was so looking forward to all the fantastic looking versions (like Into the Spider-verse) but seemed a bit lacking in editions this time round. Waiting for a Blufans one 🤞 Still liked the 4K one here though.

3. Picard S3 - tough one between this and Violent Night but the nostalgia wins out!

IMG_4670.thumb.jpg.3b243ffefa3ab09d83d1dcc217daa4d3.jpg 

• Like 22

Hi Nils @extantsrevenge,

of course, the movies also play a big part in my choices, so these are 3 great 2023 steels with movies I really like:

1. The Maltese Falcon: a perfect movie in a fitting steelbook with front and back embossing

image.thumb.jpeg.b159ca0a67db2f071c8a10b6900ebfb8.jpeg

2. The Wicker Man: another classic in a steelbook with stunning artwork

image.thumb.jpeg.b11ac2b588d492e7408a9a822a70fc40.jpeg

3. House of 1000 Corpses: still one of the best steelbook/slipcover combos

image.thumb.jpeg.934720e91d1b68e4e0ecfd160476a18d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9b448edd233bd8882e24a7946e1f790e.jpeg

• Like 22

Glad to see these challenges open again! Here are my three favorite steels this year!

IMG_3366.thumb.jpeg.29504979fcdb195d6d7ae36326afc40c.jpeg

I had been hoping for awhile Prey would get a release, so when it did, I was ecstatic! And it is a bonus that the art on it is fantastic! 
That John Wick 4 steel is my favorite of all the variants (big fan of the movies, so I got them all, but that is my favorite of them).

Haven't seen the new Mission Impossible yet, but I like the red, and I like the train falling.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 18

My favorites of the year:

Scream VI — I dug the move to NYC and how that change was represented in the steelbook art with Ghostface peering through the window of a subway door.

Star Trek Picard: Season 3 — I can’t imagine a better send-off for the TNG crew! This was such a magnificent conclusion and put a perfect little pin in these character’s legacies. And hopefully Paramount steps through the potential spin-off door that Terry Matalas left wide open for them… The steelbook features my favorite piece of key art for this season, too!

John Wick: Chapter 4. I just can’t get over how beautiful this artwork is. My personal favorite of all the various editions that were released.

Now for my crappy photo because I took it at night and the living room lighting isn’t very good for these kind of interior shots. I meant to do this earlier when we had some sunlight, but forgot… So I did it just now before I forget yet again… 😂

IMG_3609.thumb.jpeg.09cdd8e1c9eb4c96490eafe471e0fab5.jpeg

• Like 16

• ★ Administrators ★

Including Picard is always great @ell3mo

617adfacc5501e7e69aa7d09dddf109845b3cb15.gif

The slip Steelbook Series is certainly nice @jwhitm3 👍

Another entry for the great Maltese Falcon Steelbook, great choice @hal56.

Welcome to the challenge @29bananas 🙏

@cypheria078 nice to see you also include Bloodsport, I'm a bit surprised that you're the first to show the M3gan Steelbook.

icegif-510.gif

Thanks @Gary K 🙂

Oh another Prey entry, nice @Chief_lookout.

3 great choices @MikeH5856, John Wick is his own worst competition with so many different Steelbooks, I like this one also a lot.

Oh back to back inclusion of the Scream 6 Steelbook 🙂 @ncraft 👌

68d1acb7bce1e64a8445c22f28ec7431dd60f48e.gif

1: Prey included 6 times

2: Oppenheimer included 5 times

3: Bloodsport, Equalizer 3, John Wick NL, Picard, Sisu included 3 times

4: Batman: MotP, Cutthrot Island, Guardians 3, John Wick 4 German, Loki, MI7 Blue, Point Break, Scream 6, The Blob, The Maltese Falcone, The Wicker Man, Violent Night included 2 times.

Looking forward to some more entries.

• Like 15

My favorite three are:

Pumpkinhead

The Wicker Man

Wakanda Forever

IMG_0347.thumb.jpeg.2d99731df1eea9a2998477cbbc5d5c36.jpeg

I am a sucker for color and graphics!  I have to admit I have purchased movies for their Steelbooks and there is a good chance I may not actually watch the movie myself. That being said, with my family, they all get watched by someone. 

Edited by upmaniac
Typo
  • Like 16

• 2 weeks later...
  • ★ Administrators ★

Thank you @Emil @hansreinhardt for participating 🙏

giphy.gif

1: Prey included 6 times

0472099ba0e884a7aa16b97331ac03b9eccf2dd1.gif

2: Oppenheimer included 5 times

giphy-downsized-large.gif

3: Sisu included 4 times

5c6fc3e5993388c16dc3dad1d8d20d06.gif

....., no not you, this one

99128123011e1be9f7f5a6b47468da7839f249f3.gifv

4: Bloodsport, Equalizer 3, John Wick NL, Picard included 3 times

5: Batman: MotP, Cutthrot Island, Guardians 3, John Wick 4 German, Loki, MI7 Blue, Point Break, Scream 6, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, The Blob, The Maltese Falcone, The Wicker Man, Violent Night included 2 times.

thank-you-7.gif

to everyone who participated. Get ready for the next challenge.

• Like 13

• ★ Administrators ★

new_psycho_challenge_starting_gleaming_metal_lila.gif.448c2288d4dd946f7a4541ab975df17e.gif

NEW CHALLENGE #37 IS NOW LIVE!

Challenge 37 - "A Year in Review Part 2: Premium Edition"

In Challenge 36 we focused on the best regular Steelbook releases of the year, this time we want to know:

What are your 3 favorite Premium releases of the year?

- No mass market releases allowed, only limited Premium releases!

- You can concentrate on a specific packaging, like Full-Slip, Lenticular-Slip or Boxset, or you can show something from each of these categories.

- Feel free to show more than 3 items you think are among the best of the year.

- If you did not get 3 Premium releases you can post Beautyshots of 3 Premium releases that you thought have been great and tell us why you did not get them 😜

e340257b-d011-46bb-9924-7a13542812bc-giphy_-_2022-01-27T094209.720.gif

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

• ★ Administrators ★

Here are my favorite Premium releases.

UHD Club is making some wonderful Wodden Boxes and with The Lord of the Rings Trilogy they have created a masterful release that screams PREMIUM. For me the best Premium of the year.

Newsteelbook 493 - Media Psychos - UHD CLUB Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Spoiler

Newsteelbook 493a - Media Psychos - UHD CLUB Lord of the Rings Trilogy

I love Lenticular releases with changing effects, sadly retailers are not doing them as often. Anyway Manta Lab gave us some of the coolest and best made transitional Lenticulars ever this year.

Everything Everywhere All at Once DL is a Masterpiece. With both the Front and Back changing so perfectly. Also Matrix 1-3 have been amazing changing the regular images to the Matrix view, simply wow.

Challenge371.thumb.JPG.191f010aba59140ccac66e2245c3a20d.JPG

A movie I very much love had a stellar year with getting 2 Premium releases that have been stunning. Leon Manta Lab a beautiful Box with Natalie on it 😍 and 3 great slips and then also the zavvi release with both Deluxe and Collector's edition. Two awesome slips with great finish and the most creative extra content of the year with terrific artwork. Must own relaeses for any fan of the movie.

Challenge372.thumb.JPG.0527ff32995e702b1f368ad30155619c.JPG

Oh damn, I could be done already 😪, but I still wanted to show some of my favorite overall Premium releases.

- Manta Lab Spider-Man: No Way Home is terrific, it includes the perfect WEA Steelbook, has great artwork used and cool finishes a stand out release.

- I don't have my The Great Gatsby Boxset from Blufans yet, which promises to be an absolute knockout releases, but Blufans also had the stunning No Time to Die Set. With Blufans you really see how much thought they put into each of these releases.

-  Spider-Man: Homecoming Boxset and especially the Fullslips have been great again, the only question is.... did we really need another Homecoming release? The answer seems to be "Yes", as WeET delivered again.

- Everything Everywhere All at Once Manta Lab Boxset, not just because of the perfect DL, the whole release was great, especially the Box itself.

Challenge373.thumb.JPG.57788b458a4ab30ff8d7130042126a59.JPG

To be honest I did not really wanted to included the next one, since the releases was plagued with an over 2 year delay and also transformed to a Discless releases, so I could not enjoy it as much as I wanted when it finally showed up. But when you think about it and look at all the editions it is simply amazing that one of the greatest 80s Classics finally got a release it deserved. So I give you Filmarena Predator.

Newsteelbook 502 - Media Psychos - Predator Filmarena Maniacs

Spoiler

Newsteelbook 490 - Media Psychos - Filmarena Predator Edition 1 and 5 Steelbook Newsteelbook 489 - Media Psychos - Filmarena Predator Edition 2 and 3 Steelbook

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

• extantsrevenge changed the title to Media Psychos Psycho Challenge! NEW: CHALLENGE 37 IS NOW LIVE!
vor 31 Minuten schrieb CAYENNE-FAHRER:

@extantsrevenge

Challenge #37

1.    Rambo First Blood          EBLU

2.  John Wick Chapter 4      MantaLab  FS

3.  The Flash                        MantaLab  FS

16.jpg.d18d5ecb645b383c1be6713e37a16089.jpg

Rambo First Blood from EverythingBlu was already in 2022….

• Thanks 5
  • Haha 2