IGNORED

Media Psychos Psycho Challenge! NEW: CHALLENGE 38 IS NOW LIVE!

extantsrevenge

Here are my top picks of the year. 🥇🥈🥉🎉

Like Nils @extantsrevenge, LOTR by UHDC is right at the top of my list. A great set together with the cards from @ksosk!

IMG_8720.thumb.jpeg.170bf0933b8b01dd5f3c95a0e5323ef1.jpeg

Almost right up there: EverythingBlu, who released 2 great editions this year with 5th Element and Leon after Rambo last year.

IMG_8719.thumb.jpeg.882f792fb608c05d513144c8ea1f123d.jpeg

And then there's CMA, who have also delivered fantastic editions with Last Night in Soho and Roger Rabbit. Last Night in Soho is still ahead of Roger Rabbit in my ranking.

IMG_8721.thumb.jpeg.268ca91dbe2c4e0f7a133efa80acdb16.jpeg

IMG_8722.thumb.jpeg.a9929229f58c95f301103149c42c4bea.jpeg

A special place goes to WandaVision 😃, simply because it's great to be able to get hold of this great edition through the discless model, which would probably not have been possible otherwise. And it's great that Manta Lab has implemented this!

IMG_8723.thumb.jpeg.1d950689d1ce57ff40ac3331db995ce7.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Challenge 36 - "A Year in Review" 

Just coming out of my hibernation...😅 I wish all fellow psychos an early Happy New Year.🙏

I'll admit I'm not too keen on collecting WWA steelbooks or regular releases, but here's what I managed to put together:

1. Duel [steelbook]

2. Groundhog Day [steelbook]

3. The Big Lebowski [amaray] (felt lukewarm about the WWA steelbook, and the amaray version has an extra certificate of authenticity, so I went for this instead.)

Challenge36.thumb.jpg.9182f614723dad121e909546186cda2a.jpg

• Like 18

Awards

For me, 2023 marked a low point when it comes to Premium releases, not just in terms of titles chosen, but also the quality of the releases.

There were a few exceptions, of course, but overall it was an extremely disappointing year. 

A measly two Premiums is what I ended up getting during the whole of 2023, although one of them deserves imo the title of release of the year.

I'm referring of course to EverythingBlu's The Fifth Element, and specifically the Collector's Edition, which I got courtesy of @extantsrevenge 

Here's hoping EB gives us more of these spectacular boxsets in 2024 (Scarface, please).

The second title is WCL's Black Cat, White Cat. A solid, if not spectacular, release of one of my favorite comedies of all time. Build quality of the slip was surprisingly good for a WCL release.

image.thumb.jpeg.54a304a0bd185a177cbbaa1ff33b21ac.jpeg

The followng three releases also deserve a mention as being among the few bright spots. Passing on each of them wasn't difficult since none of them are films that I like enough to have in my collection. Hefty price tags and huge sizes are also factors but eventually it all boils down to whether I deem it a must own movie.

Blade Runner 2049 / MAG

888280353_OneClick.thumb.jpg.b5b7b9145c8

The Green Mile / UC

signal-2023-03-13-11-11-04-990.thumb.jpg

Léon / Manta Lab

LEON_LS_V2_1200x.jpg.a302081772ab3e91494

Edited by R1s1ngs0n
  • Like 22

Challenge 37 - "A Year in Review Part 2: Premium Edition"

My 3 favorite Premium releases of the year: 
1. Everything Everywhere All At Once (Manta Lab DL)

One of my favourite movies of 2022, for which Manta Lab certainly has delivered the best edition this year. The double lenticular effect looks just mesmerizing!

2. Blade Runner 2049 (MAG)

Finally got my hands on this grail during Christmas after a whole year-long wait. Such a sight to behold.

3. The Prestige (Blufans OC)

Never knew the protective case itself for the OC box would get such a fascinating water tank design. A stroke of genius from Blufans right here.

Challenge37.thumb.jpg.f78dfcb3b23849378c9050b8a3bb1dd9.jpg

Edited by nerdist
  • Like 20

Awards

Challenge 36 - "A Year in Review"

WWA Steelbooks

1. Mandalorian S01

Didn't expect to get this Steelbook. Nice to see that Star Wars Steelbooks are not "dead".

2. Violent Night

Saw the trailer and thought "must have". 😁 On top a real cool embossed cover.

3. Die Nackte Kanone

One of my favorit movies. Leslie Nielsen will never be topped as special agent. 😄 On top with debossing (bullet holes).

This series deserves a premium edition with all three titles. Would be a "must have" and would be sold in seconds, I'm sure.

IMG_8799.thumb.JPG.7bffa623387bacdbbacec2d4add2c111.JPG

• Like 19

Challenge 37 - "A Year in Review Part 2: Premium Editions"

1. John Wick 4 (Novamedia)

I dont know how long we waited for BEautyshots for this release but I know I made hundreds of "Nils, where are the JW4 BS ?" images. 😄

For this, worth to be mentioned and also the release is a good one. Sure, not the best one, but for me it has a special place in my collection.

2. Predator (Filmarena)

Puh, what should I say ? Better nothing. Never thought that this release will be shipped. Never saw a release which got such an attention and made so many people speechless in all ways. A milestone in release management, also in every "direction". 😉 Again, a special THANKS to @Cornbuster Holger ! He was kind enough to let me have this edition. Due to this fact, my me (personal) the best edition of this year just thinking about that I "have it". 🤩🥰

3. Fifth Element (Zavvi / EB)

I love the movie and Zavvi/EB nailed it ! Also in every kind of aspect. EB did a good job and produced a great edition, Zavvi made their job (as already known) 😄but managed it to send me four editions without any issue. Just that is worth an entry in my release calendar. 😁😂

IMG_8803.thumb.JPG.7b7e96b74abe6bf4ecfb77333955ecab.JPG

Year 2023 was a special one for me, especially situation with my parents, growing prices, shipping costs, turnus & availability of releases, All that lead to that I bought much less.

Change to "disc-less editions" is a good for me because I watch movies in german language. So for most premiums I bought a german disc on top. So I can save some money.

• Like 20

3 hours ago, ukade2327 said:

…so far ….You expecting anything better in the next day then… 😆😆

2 hours ago, Veum said:

Miami Vice 80S GIF

I told you son kade, just wait ️ 🤣 😜

Here is another fav Premium that just arrived today in the mail which I have added to those in an above post (in spoiler below)!!😍

Ringo Starr Stefanie Shank GIF by Studios 2016

20231230_142259.thumb.jpg.82c4c9567f86b90c5b56a95ff990b2f6.jpg

Spoiler

20231230_093155.thumb.jpg.4df024bf979f4d4f88e35df37cdad6ec.jpg

Edited by Veum
  • Like 14

Challenge 37.

I wanted to avoid putting something I’ve seen here already but dammit I waited so long for that Predator. I love it.

Manta’s Matrix releases have been incredible imo, but none more so than their lenticulars. Was rough choosing between the three but I went with Reloaded (obviously).

King Kong is one of my favorite movies and UHD really impressed the hell outta me with this wooden box (it was my first wooden box from them so I guess take my love with a grain of salt).

IMG_4995.thumb.jpeg.2daf9e73bb0264899ad7cf0b87447535.jpeg

• Like 19

Awards

Now that the year is done, here are my top three premiums I have received so far:

IMG_3380.thumb.jpeg.f88c12ac8678cc92b03651c5e37438d8.jpeg

Great Gatsby, Weet Into the Spiderverse (I think it's this year, if it's not I included an honorable mention that moves up! I got it this year, anyway), Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and Last Night in Soho. The Predator Maniac Box and Blade Runner 2049 box look really nice, but I haven't received mine yet. Thanks for looking!

• Like 19

Challenge 37 : A Year in Review Part 2: Premium Edition

I thought there were a number of stellar releases this year.  But my top, in hand, premiums are . . . 

CM Last Night in Soho (best of the year overall imo) two of my fav members @Chief_lookout and @Gentleman on the same page I see.

WeET Arrival (every edition was strong)

FAC Predator (uh, like climbing Mt. Everest, just happy to finally arrive)

OTHERS

• Second Sight Picnic At Hanging Rock (an amazing release)

• MAG 2049 (haven't received mine yet)
• Manta Leon (particularly the SL, I'm a sucker for the Kodachrome look)

• UHDC King Kong (design made the best use of the piano gloss finish of the wood boxes so far)

@extantsrevenge is the next challenge, the most disappointing premiums?  Challenge 38: 2023 Premiums - The Airing of Grievances

image.thumb.jpeg.5ca68b24f6fa0af2f7ec69cf6e5e6332.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Darnit, now one of mine is mentioned in the post just above mine; it’s like we wore the same prom dress :)

I really just started collecting premium sets this year, so a lot of my favorites from this year didn’t come out this year.  But these 3 did and yeah, that Picnic at Hanging Rock set is gorgeous and the extras are outstanding.  Every movie that is based on a book/story should come with a copy of the book/story (shouts to the Sleepy Hollow steelbook here).  Anyway:

IMG_0203.thumb.jpeg.587a35ed13b563469e6d814e82b3348a.jpeg

The one in the center (and I realize most people here probably know this already) is Wicker Man, as it looks sitting on my shelf.  Over on this left is the WeET Spider Man: Homecoming set (thanks MP!).  

Wicker Man’s steelbook made my best of list for steelbooks, great work all around on that movie.

Looks like the BR 2049 set is showing up on Wednesday; 3 days late for the competition, it’s just going to have to see what kind of challengers show up in 2024.  My early money is on the What’s In The Box edition of Seven.

• Like 18

Just now, R1s1ngs0n said:

How could have I forgotten about this one? I only got the standard 4K edition, but the exclusive boxset was truly a thing of beauty. Definitely in my top 3 Premium releases of 2023.

Yeah, I thought I was going to be the first to mention it, then was barely beaten to the punch.  It’s beautiful, and they did an incredible job on the movie itself, also beautiful.

• Like 7

Challenge 37 - "A Year in Review Part 2"

Happy New Year. My favorite release from this year was the WeET Arrival one-click box, that was gorgeous in its minimalism, but unfortunately I had to part with it. So the following are my submissions for this challenge. Cheers.

• 2001: A Space Odyssey (Manta Lab, Full Slip)
  • The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blufans)
  • Last Night in Soho (CM, Lenti)

premiums.thumb.jpg.9ac0efd9a6648cc6891dc3b702f5ab40.jpg

Edited by hansreinhardt
  • Like 17

3 minutes ago, hansreinhardt said:

Challenge 37 - "A Year in Review Part 2"

Happy New Year. My favorite release from this year was the WeET Arrival one-click box, that was gorgeous in its minimalism, but unfortunately I had to part with it. So the following are my submissions for this challenge. Cheers.

premiums.thumb.jpg.9ac0efd9a6648cc6891dc3b702f5ab40.jpg

Oh ffs, I was certain 2001 was released at the very end of 2022, so I didn't include it in my post. It's BY FAR the best steelbook released this year and therefore has to be included in my top 3, along with EB's Fifth Element and Second Sight's PAHR.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

Oh ffs, I was certain 2001 was released at the very end of 2022, so I didn't include it in my post. It's BY FAR the best steelbook released this year and therefore has to be included in my top 3, along with EB's Fifth Element and Second Sight's PAHR.

Yeah I had to go back and double check this release date too. I agree with you, I like the full slip but the steelbook itself really is a treat. Manta absolutely nailed the key art on that.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, hansreinhardt said:

Yeah I had to go back and double check this release date too. I agree with you, I like the full slip but the steelbook itself really is a treat. Manta absolutely nailed the key art on that.

Yeah, released January 6th which seems ages ago. This and Fifth Element were easily the best Premium steel packages releases of 2023, so very happy to own both.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

Is this from the same set?

IMG_0206.thumb.jpeg.d81ee5dea83082eebda28566126cfeb0.jpeg

IMG_0207.thumb.jpeg.8a8fffcc227138ebbba049ae8af617f9.jpeg

Like I said, just started collecting this year, bought this off eBay.  Impossible to do the lenticular (especially the one on the back) justice with a photo.

• Like 8