IGNORED

Media Psychos Psycho Challenge! NEW: CHALLENGE 38 IS NOW LIVE!

extantsrevenge

Thanks for the new challenge, Nils @extantsrevenge

So here are a few of my favourite villains:

Jang Kyung Chul (I Saw the Devil)

a terrifying, ruthless psychopath hidden behind the facade of a seemingly normal guy. Great performance by Choi Min-sik:

image.thumb.jpeg.d85ab417f5b97fa7ce18913a87874eb8.jpeg

Janine "Smurf" Cody (Animal Kingdom)

another  example of a warm an lovely person on the outside but calculating, callous and cold on the inside,

played to perfection by Jacki Weaver:

image.thumb.jpeg.ba96f0f409b641a5842394263e330989.jpeg

Annie Wilkes (Misery)

just watch:

Misery- Hobbling Scene on Make a GIF

image.thumb.jpeg.2e29e684772bc13041264b838f7ca567.jpeg

Nurse Ratched, (One flew over the Cuckoo´s Nest):

the worst ones are always those who think they are doing right.

Whenever I watch this movie, at the end I always feel like:

Ratched GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

image.thumb.jpeg.55901cffce2de98c384b1b1aa8eff4fd.jpeg

Darth Vader (Star Wars):

The best villain ever. The whole Series would be nothing without him. He is complex, unique and a standard for what makes a villain:

image.thumb.jpeg.f66acd1e208134371ef62229b85a5b60.jpeg

• Like 16

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@extantsrevenge

This is definitely one of my favourite challenges so far. I just love a great cinematic baddie and it's no surprise that the most talked about characters/performances in a movie are usually those of the villains, as they are the characters actors usually find the most fun or challenging to play.

Some notable types of villains that have graced our screens: 

The Myths - villains who usually remain unseen during most of the film but whose looming menace helps make their eventual reveal all the more memorable. This type of villain is perhaps the most challenging to pull off as the reveal needs to match or even exceed the audience's expectations set by the build-up.

Notable examples: Ernst Stavro Blofeld, Col. Kurtz, John Doe, Keyser Söze.

The Charmers - highly intelligent and well-mannered antagonists who possess considerable charm, coupled with deft manipulation skills (yet who are not shy about using brute force when necessary) that help them achieve their nefarious goals. A staple of Hitchcock's best films and one of my favourite types of villains.

Notable examples: Harry Powell, Norman Bates, Hans Gruber, Hannibal Lecter.

The Unstoppable Killing Machines - the Predators, Terminators, Jasons and co. These usually make a big and lasting impression on younger audiances but an older viewer like myself now find those to be the least interesting type of baddies due to their one-dimensionality. Anton Chigurh by definition also fits in this category, but the fact he's an actual human being operating according to a very specific set of codes makes him a fascinating exception... not to mention that legendary haircut.

The Multi-Layered/Redeemable - villains who despite the horrific acts they commit, manage to draw our sympathy due to their personnal circumstances and complexity of their characters.

Notable examples: Michael Corleone, Darth Vader, Roy Batty, Penguin.

And then there are The Utterly Despicable, Heinous Monsters In Human Form, upon whom we wish swift and just retribution. These baddies are usually represented as authority figures or in stark contrast, purveyors of chaos and destruction. Again, the Joker would be the most obvious exception since his unpredictability, sheer brilliance and legendary rivalry with the dark knight makes him arguably the most beloved villain, both in comics and cinema.

Notable examples: Nurse Ratched, Warden Norton, Commodus, Nazis.

So understandably, coming up with just 5 baddies proved more challenging than expected but here it is:

image.thumb.jpeg.7149209a0570e119a14b5efcf22c2acd.jpeg

Harry Lime in The Third Man - the perfect cross between the Myth and Charmer type of villain. Along with the third baddie on this list, Orson Welles' unforgettable smirk gave us the greatest ever villain reveal. It's a testament to how well his character was written and portrayed that with barely 10 mins of screen time, he became one of cinema's most memorable and enduring antagonists.

Dr. Julius No in Dr. No - the first official Bond main villain and for my money, still the best. Veteran stage actor Joseph Wiseman set the bar for future Bond baddies impossibly high, a feat all the more impressive considering he has (like Harry Lime) about 10 mins of screen time. I can clearly see some of Wiseman's Dr. No in Hopkins' Dr. Lecter; the upright posture, speech intonation and sophisiticated manners.

Frank in Once Upon A Time In The West - that slow pan shot revealing Henry Fonda's baby blue eyes icily staring at the boy whose entire family he just massacred, is still the most chilling villain reveal of all time. The grin just before he guns down the boy just further cements Frank as one of the vilest and most ruthless characters ever captured on screen.

Scorpio in Dirty Harry - for me, unquestionably the most underrated villain ever, and it’s not even close.

With the role of Scorpio (real name Charles Davis), Andy Robinson elevated the despicable, heinous villain archetype to new 'lows'. An Oscar-worthy performance that preceeded and more than likely inspired Heath Ledger's unforgettable turn as the Joker 37 years later.

Scorpio is my favourite villain of all time.

Col. Hans Landa in Inglourious Basterds - the Charmer par excellence. QT has said Landa was the best character he has ever written and it's hard to argue with that statement. A once-in-a-lifetime gift that the incredibly talented Waltz took with both hands and turned into one of cinema's most iconic villains.

Edited by R1s1ngs0n
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Challenge 29:

Thanks @extantsrevenge for the thread and @InfiniteDoors for the challenge.

Here are movies without an ‘E.’

IMG_4958.thumb.jpeg.9a1f61121a4a16045e2fb05d56428812.jpeg

These are from the start of my collection:

3:10 to Yuma - Zavvi Steelbook

30 Days of Night - Zavvi Steelbook

2012 - Zavvi Steelbook

101 Dalmatians - Zavvi Steelbook

1917 Lenticular Fanatic Steelbook

The Accountant - Lenticular HDZeta Steelbook

Aladdin (2019)

Aladdin (1992)

Almost Famous - Amazon Steelbook

Animal Kingdom - Zavvi Steelbook

• Like 16

CHALLENGE 30

I decided to go with "villains who aren't Darth Vader or the Joker," as it seems they're going to be receiving plenty of representation this week. And then I decided on all-animated, for fun.

IMG_3240.thumb.jpg.9001e45083ebafb5c1f6394db376c8d1.jpg

1. No-Face (Spirited Away). In honor of getting to see Spirited Away Live later this afternoon, I chose No-Face, who is not only a fantastic character design (vital for any animated villain) but also represents the kind of villain who seems either intentionally or ambiguously evil, which is quite creepy, and then is revealed to be a misunderstood, lonely character, which is quite poignant though still a little creepy.

2. Yzma (The Emperor's New Groove). I'm always happy to bring up this movie, and Yzma is by far one of my favorite villains. I love her pure, simple, single-minded delight in being evil. She's bad, and she's drawn that way.

3. Syndrome (The Incredibles). I'm amazed that a villain who gets his start as an obsessive, ultimate superhero fanboy was created before the Marvel movie franchise got going. It seems like an idea for a villain that would have been in response to all that. Brad Bird anticipated so much that was to come in so many aspects of The Incredibles. Syndrome became one of my all-time favorites for that scene where he strides heroically toward his plane, smiling smugly...and wipes his nose.

4. Shere Khan (The Jungle Book). The quintessential dignified, refined villain, who seems just a bit too above having to actually put forth the effort to be villainous...but he'll do it if he has to.

5. Maleficent (Sleeping Beauty). One of the greatest evil queens of all time who turns into one of the greatest evil dragons of all time? Yes, please. Maleficent is the serious 'n' sinister archvillain, and Yzma is the ridiculous 'n' hilarious archvillain. Two sides of the same coin, and either way, I love them.

Edited by ethnosax
  • Like 18

Thanks @extantsrevenge for Challenge 30! Villains are usually a necessity for film (there are, of course, some great films without them); they give the protagonist something to fight for, and the protagonist is elevated by the conflict! Without the villain, the hero really has no reason to be a hero! So, here are my five picks:

IMG_2853.thumb.jpeg.62e57e0df4fa86744c0548f992c99d8c.jpeg

1. Frieza- Dragonball Z; I have been a fan of Dragonball Z for years, and Frieza is always a fierce opponent! The most purposefully evil and cruel, and the best example of a true villain in the story (but of course, the Z fighters have had many villains).

2. Khan-Into Darkness; I know many people don't like this movie for the Star Trek franchise, or the whole Kelvin timeline at all, but I like them, and this one is my favorite of the three! Khan is scary whether in the normal or alternate realities, and Kirk needed help from the normal reality to defeat Khan (Spock).

3. Thanos-Infinty saga; Then there's Thanos, the Mad Titan. I read the original story as it came out, with crossovers and all, so I knew they were doing Infinity Gauntlet from Iron Man 1! And although, in my opinion, the comic was better, I also enjoyed the movies! And Thanos was a truly difficult opponent, but not evil, per se, or at least I didn't see it the way. In the comics it was a bit more evil, because he was trying to impress a girl (Lady Death) , but in the movies he was doing what he thought was right.

4. Ghostface-Scream; a straight up slasher villain, not much more to say! Scaring the victims with a phone call before he kills them!

5. Skeksis-The Dark Crystal; they look creepy, they sound creepy, the scared the mess outta me as a child!

My favorite villain would have to be Johnny Ringo from Tombstone! Ruthless, efficient, good at what he does, and a straight up badass!

Thanks for looking!

• Like 15

Challenge #30.  

Here are my choices, a few very deplorable people and Roy.

1..  Hans Landa - Inglorious Basterds 

2.  Rosa The Hat.- Doctor Sleep.

3.  The Bug - Men In Black 

4.  Roy Batty - Blade Runner

5.  Captain Vidal.-  Pan's Labyrinth 

20230423_110836.thumb.jpg.42442490dde803154cea4fc24738601d.jpg

If I were to choose an all time favorite.  I would have to go with Hans Gruber From Die Hard.  With it being Rickman's first film role.  Knocked it out of the part.  Made Bruce an Action Hero and introduced us to Alan.

20230423_110856.thumb.jpg.913b52fd0d2aa9c4870caab8deab8c95.jpg

an alt.

image.thumb.png.8f3b96e59f7fd25fe882ba076775eb46.png

• Like 18

2 hours ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

@extantsrevenge

This is definitely one of my favourite challenges so far. I just love a great cinematic baddie and it's no surprise that the most talked about characters/performances in a movie are usually those of the villains, as they are the characters actors usually find the most fun or challenging to play.

Some notable types of villains that have graced our screens: 

The Myths - villains who usually remain unseen during most of the film but whose looming menace helps make their eventual reveal all the more memorable. This type of villain is perhaps the most challenging to pull off as the reveal needs to match or even exceed the audience's expectations set by the build-up.

Notable examples: Ernst Stavro Blofeld, Col. Kurtz, John Doe, Keyser Söze.

The Charmers - highly intelligent and well-mannered antagonists who possess considerable charm, coupled with deft manipulation skills (yet who are not shy about using brute force when necessary) that help them achieve their nefarious goals. A staple of Hitchcock's best films and one of my favourite types of villains.

Notable examples: Harry Powell, Norman Bates, Hans Gruber, Hannibal Lecter.

The Unstoppable Killing Machines - the Predators, Terminators, Jasons and co. These usually make a big and lasting impression on younger audiances but an older viewer like myself now find those to be the least interesting type of baddies due to their one-dimensionality. Anton Chigurh by definition also fits in this category, but the fact he's an actual human being operating according to a very specific set of codes makes him a fascinating exception... not to mention that legendary haircut.

The Multi-Layered/Redeemable - villains who despite the horrific acts they commit, manage to draw our sympathy due to their personnal circumstances and complexity of their characters.

Notable examples: Michael Corleone, Darth Vader, Roy Batty, Penguin.

And then there are The Utterly Despicable, Heinous Monsters In Human Form, upon whom we wish swift and just retribution. These baddies are usually represented as authority figures or in stark contrast, purveyors of chaos and destruction. Again, the Joker would be the most obvious exception since his unpredictability, sheer brilliance and legendary rivalry with the dark knight makes him arguably the most beloved villain, both in comics and cinema.

Notable examples: Nurse Ratched, Warden Norton, Commodus, Nazis.

So understandably, coming up with just 5 baddies proved more challenging than expected but here it is:

image.thumb.jpeg.7149209a0570e119a14b5efcf22c2acd.jpeg

Harry Lime in The Third Man - the perfect cross between the Myth and Charmer type of villain. Along with the third baddie on this list, Orson Welles' unforgettable smirk gave us the greatest ever villain reveal. It's a testament to how well his character was written and portrayed that with barely 10 mins of screen time, he became one of cinema's most memorable and enduring antagonists.

Dr. Julius No in Dr. No - the first official Bond main villain and for my money, still the best. Veteran stage actor Joseph Wiseman set the bar for future Bond baddies impossibly high, a feat all the more impressive considering he has (like Harry Lime) about 10 mins of screen time. I can clearly see some of Wiseman's Dr. No in Hopkins' Dr. Lecter; the upright posture, speech intonation and sophisiticated manners.

Frank in Once Upon A Time In The West - that slow pan shot revealing Henry Fonda's baby blue eyes icily staring at the boy whose entire family he just massacred, is still the most chilling villain reveal of all time. The grin just before he guns down the boy just further cements Frank as one of the vilest and most ruthless characters ever captured on screen.

Scorpio in Dirty Harry - for me, unquestionably the most underrated villain ever, and it’s not even close.

With the role of Scorpio (real name Charles Davis), Andy Robinson elevated the despicable, heinous villain archetype to new 'lows'. An Oscar-worthy performance that preceeded and more than likely inspired Heath Ledger's unforgettable turn as the Joker 37 years later.

Scorpio is my favourite villain of all time.

Col. Hans Landa in Inglourious Basterds - the Charmer par excellence. QT has said Landa was the best character he has ever written and it's hard to argue with that statement. A once-in-a-lifetime gift that the incredibly talented Waltz took with both hands and turned into one of cinema's most iconic villains.

Eli you forgot your favs 😂 😆 😛 

image.jpeg.5964235ebf50551f403b28cb0ff0227a.jpeg image.jpeg.f23f93d7dd266db6ebe946f89e3fe6f7.jpeg

• Like 3

Challenge 5:  There’s A First Time For Everything

@extantsrevenge

@Gary K Thanks for this challenge!

Lawrence Of Arabia (HDzeta) 2013

Oz: The Great and Powerful (Blufans) 2013

Terminator 2 (KimchiDVD) 2013

Lone Survivor (Novamedia) 2014 / Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Novamedia Choice) 2014

The Wrestler (Plain Archive) 2014

The Terminator (film arenas) 2015Man Of Steel (Manta Lab) 2016

Spoiler

IMG_20230423_212002_edit_1738784759087797.thumb.jpg.ec8845e55cc35dd85bf6e074c86c7e86.jpg

As far as I can remember, I started collecting premium editions with Blufans, HDzeta.

Shortly thereafter came KimchiDVD, Plain Archive & Novamedia.

Many editions of the last 3 named retailers are no longer in my collection.

Over time, more and more editions were released at shorter intervals. Also, there were now more and more editions of the same film.

That and the consideration of whether I need umpteen versions of the film now have made me cut back a bit and not buy every edition.

Even if they are some of the most beautiful steels ever made, one day I sold my entire Disney collection from zavvi.

I didn't open it anyway and would never have looked at it. So another collector was happy about it.

My focus has shifted more towards Blufans, Filmarena and HDzeta. I now have all of these with a few exceptions.

I think my very first edition that I received through John at MP was The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Manta Lab) in 2017.

• Like 13

5 hours ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

Harry Lime in The Third Man - the perfect cross between the Myth and Charmer type of villain. Along with the third baddie on this list, Orson Welles' unforgettable smirk gave us the greatest ever villain reveal.

Fantastic post @R1s1ngs0n.  Great read.  I don't know if you've ever read the quote underneath my banner from The Moviegoer.  Thanks for taking the time to post videos, man that scene, so great.  Enjoyed all your thoughts.

• Like 9

thank you to @InfiniteDoors and @extantsrevenge for your 29th Challenge: Gadsby! Trial Without ABC Symbol "E"

This was a rather unique and fun challenge, I enjoyed putting my submission together 👍

1] Rambo : First Blood (of course)

2] Nobody

3] Black Hawk Down

4] Midsommar 

5] Fargo

6] It Follows

7] Villains

8] Insidious 

9] Last Night in Soho

10] Pig

IMG-974113193.thumb.jpg.1eb5b9787cf604c411dbb621f14fecce.jpg

• Like 15

Thank you to @extantsrevenge for creating this challenge # 30

Pink Numbers GIF by clydesidesocial

Here is my submission of 5 different movies with 5 of my favorite villains. Although there are many villains, I picked the ones that I really liked as my favorite at the moment.

1. Inglourious Basterds (without Hans Landa, the movie would've slightly been dull. Hans always kept the audience in suspense)

2. X-Men: Apocalypse (Apocalypse was the only mutant that literally had all the powers of the mutants combined. That's pretty cool IMO. That's what I like about his character)

3. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (I don't like much horror movies and that's why my collection on this genre is very limited. But Michael Myers is the best villain when it comes to horror and his motivation and hunger for revenge never stops. It's because of Halloween that paved the way for other villains such as Freddy Krueger and Jason Voorhees)

4. The Matrix (1991) (Agent Smith was there every step of the way. A virus that wouldn't go away. There's an everyday agent Smith in our society unfortunately at this day and age)

5. Cape Fear (1991) (Max Cady (Robert De Niro) truly took the law into his own hands after not getting a proper representation from his lawyer. I respect people like Max minus the violence of course)

IMG_0478.thumb.JPG.0219bbb8eaf9a28dc2fe2b6ef33fe347.JPG

Hans Landa

hans GIF

Agent Smith

work it i just watched the matrix again GIF

• Like 16

Awards

Challenge #30 the bad guy!

The Kurgan - highlander 

I would say Clancy Brown's best performance and he's terrifying

Highlander You Are Weak GIF by Harborne Web Design Ltd

Sauron - Lord of the rings

Barely seen at all but he still makes my skin crawl even when he's not there

the eye flames GIF

Hal 9000 - 2001: a space Odyssey

A machine that has logically decided you are the problem is so unsettling

2001 a space odyssey GIF

Agent Stansfield - the professional 

Gary Goldman as a corrupt cop on speed hell yeah

gary oldman leon GIF

Riddler - the Batman

The other great batman villain in a gritty cinematic masterpiece

Good Morning Coffee GIF by Regal

20230423_185456.jpg

20230423_185625.jpg

20230423_185909.jpg

20230423_190038.jpg

20230423_190322.jpg

• Like 17

• extantsrevenge changed the title to Media Psychos Psycho Challenge! NEW: Week 30 Challenge is live! Now also open Challenge 1-20!

Challenge # 30

Thank you @extantsrevenge/Nils

The Dark Night

Joker - Heath Letger

My absolute favorite villain is the Joker, played by Heath Letger,

nobody has ever played it better, didn't want to post an edition as well, but I own it, if it's mandatory I'll post

Heath.gif.746dbb8fdfaef27a4e459532f839c336.gif

Inglourious Basterds

Christoph Waltz - Hans Landa

Waltz.gif.5d883d2cb8040ae39ed4e60a07a5d51e.gif

Watchmen

Ozymandias - Matthew Goode

Matthew.webp.4695f2e260d224435e59ca5101cb6e94.webp

Training Day

Alonzo Harris - Denzel Washington

Denzel.webp.25c628b6cbbd5a6992cdd34d31753861.webp

Apocalypse Now

Col.Kurtz - Marlon Brando

Marlon.webp.29cdccb59bc12245cdb0fea63985d550.webp

1.jpg

Edited by CAYENNE-FAHRER
  • Like 15

• ★ Administrators ★

Finishing up Challenge #29. Thanks for participating 👍

@ncraft  @Steelbook Indy @BreakBeatDJ @Rambo

@ukade2327 I think we can say that you did it with 1 retailer, for me the new zavvi Editions are clearly a continuation of the EB line. Also you reached the 2nd award with this challenge, congrats

MPChallenge2.png.fbf8600a842a2641ced2e693ceecbcdf.png

@Scary Hair @bilbon special appreciation for the updated post 🙏

@Catgirl

high-five-cat.gif

@sobmaster thanks for closing the holes in your challenge list 😊

Moving on to some villains

giphy.gif

Great selection @Scary Hair Commodus, Landa, Gruber and The Colonel are also villains I enjoy a lot.

@ncraft I was thinking about going with Darth Vader as my #1, I went with Joker as he was created decades before Vader and I'm also such a huge comic fan. But like I wrote Darth Vader is easily the greatest villain created for movies. I also really like your inclusion of Woo-jin Lee, certainly one of the great villains of the last 20 years.

You also reached the 2nd award

Another strong selection, thanks @Veum I also love Norman Bates, Anthony Perkins is delivering such a great performance as the character.

Thanks for including Jang Kyung-chul from I saw the Devil @hal56, I think together with Woo-jin Lee from Oldboy these two are the strongest Korean villains.

I love your post @R1s1ngs0n thanks for including that intro to the challenge. After reading I thought "Damn why did I not ask for 5 villains from each of the categories you listed" 😂 . But I fear then I would be listed as #1 villain by many this week 😅

@ethnosax thanks for giving the spotlight to some animated villains. There are also many great Anime villains, I guess I could have done a list for every genre 😁

20 hours ago, Chief_lookout said:

@extantsrevenge that episode was Space Seed! And it's one of the best original series episodes!

@Chief_lookout I know and I absolutely agree.

giphy.gif

Nice selection you got. I'm not such a fan of the Benedict Khan, the funny thing is I will be watching Into Darkness today as opening for my Sci-Fi Movie Week, first time in 4K.

@bossjon thank you. Some of your editions do not feature the villains, normally you should have included an additional gif of those villains.

Nice selection @Peter Manoukian Agent Smith really deserves to be mentioned

giphy.gif

@jwhitm3 absolutely love your list (besides the inclusion of that Riddler Version 😆)

@CAYENNE-FAHRER also a great list. Ozymandias would certainly be included in a longer list of mine.

Hope many more will play this cool new challenge during the week.

new_psycho_challenge_starting_gleaming_metal_gold.gif.1b0a0448d5a5d19ab46893f91bdd157a.gif

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

Challenge#30 

Thanks Nils @extantsrevenge for this new Challenge 

here is my list of villains, the choice is still difficult because there are such different and interesting personalities, for my favorite villain, I hesitated for a long time but I ended up choosing Thanos, I like his personality and his obsession with wanting  finding a balance for everyone, without being evil to begin with, he ended up causing irreversible damage and genocide, even some scenes that weren't seen in the final version of Infinity War but had been shot like the moment when  he goes to Xandar and destroys the entire planet, he is alone against all and remains convinced of his benevolence

and without having bad thoughts and above all having nothing towards others, his quest once finished, as he says, he could  rest and continue to live normally

20230424_161650.jpg

• Like 12

4 hours ago, extantsrevenge said:

Finishing up Challenge #29. Thanks for participating 👍

@ncraft  @Steelbook Indy @BreakBeatDJ @Rambo

@ukade2327 I think we can say that you did it with 1 retailer, for me the new zavvi Editions are clearly a continuation of the EB line. Also you reached the 2nd award with this challenge, congrats

@Scary Hair @bilbon special appreciation for the updated post 🙏

@Catgirl

high-five-cat.gif

@sobmaster thanks for closing the holes in your challenge list 😊

Moving on to some villains

giphy.gif

Great selection @Scary Hair Commodus, Landa, Gruber and The Colonel are also villains I enjoy a lot.

@ncraft I was thinking about going with Darth Vader as my #1, I went with Joker as he was created decades before Vader and I'm also such a huge comic fan. But like I wrote Darth Vader is easily the greatest villain created for movies. I also really like your inclusion of Woo-jin Lee, certainly one of the great villains of the last 20 years.

You also reached the 2nd award

Another strong selection, thanks @Veum I also love Norman Bates, Anthony Perkins is delivering such a great performance as the character.

Thanks for including Jang Kyung-chul from I saw the Devil @hal56, I think together with Woo-jin Lee from Oldboy these two are the strongest Korean villains.

I love your post @R1s1ngs0n thanks for including that intro to the challenge. After reading I thought "Damn why did I not ask for 5 villains from each of the categories you listed" 😂 . But I fear then I would be listed as #1 villain by many this week 😅

@ethnosax thanks for giving the spotlight to some animated villains. There are also many great Anime villains, I guess I could have done a list for every genre 😁

@Chief_lookout I know and I absolutely agree.

giphy.gif

Nice selection you got. I'm not such a fan of the Benedict Khan, the funny thing is I will be watching Into Darkness today as opening for my Sci-Fi Movie Week, first time in 4K.

@bossjon thank you. Some of your editions do not feature the villains, normally you should have included an additional gif of those villains.

Nice selection @Peter Manoukian Agent Smith really deserves to be mentioned

giphy.gif

@jwhitm3 absolutely love your list (besides the inclusion of that Riddler Version 😆)

@CAYENNE-FAHRER also a great list. Ozymandias would certainly be included in a longer list of mine.

Hope many more will play this cool new challenge during the week.

new_psycho_challenge_starting_gleaming_metal_gold.gif.1b0a0448d5a5d19ab46893f91bdd157a.gif

Obviously the joker is better just wanted to shine light on some other great villains. 

And I forgot my favorite villain is........Jimmy Fallon Anticipation GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

A gentle breeze - The Happening

Sub Pop Sun GIF by Sub Pop Records

Confused Mark Wahlberg GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

• Haha 5

For Challenge #30

Challenge30.thumb.jpg.26437f1f42ce0ac1a6e5e8f5df00fab6.jpg

Decided to stick to comedic villains. 

1) Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery - Dr. Evil   Dr Evil GIF

2) Ghostbusters II - Prince Vigo Von Homburg Deutschendorf, Scourge of Carpathia, Sorrow of Moldavia, also known as Vigo the Carpathian, Vigo the Cruel, Vigo the Torturer, Vigo the Despised, Vigo the Unholy  GIF by Ghostbusters

3) Mars Attacks! - The Martians.  Ack! Ack!  Scheming Area 51 GIF

4) Hot Fuzz - The whole freaking town  harvey korman GIF

5)  Who Framed Roger Rabbit? - Judge Doom  christopher lloyd eyes GIF

My favorite would have to be Darth Vader because Star Wars is the greatest.  For a couple of other great ones I haven't seen mentioned yet (at least from my quick scan), Kilmonger in Black Panther and Staff Sgt. Barnes in Platoon.  Both are huge parts of what made those movies great.

• Like 17

Challenge

neon GIF by Adventures Once Had

VILLAINS

Thanks for another great challenge, Nils @extantsrevenge. Though we often hate them, root against them, and just downright wish they'd die sometimes, villains play an integral role in any movie. Without them, the protagonist of the film simply couldn't exist, for there would be no challenges to overcome and no reason to rise above themselves to be the heroes we all love.

Here are five of my favorite villains, in no particular order....

1. Darth Vader - the quintessential baddie we all grew up hating and maybe also being just a little afraid of...until we saw Empire.

2. The Meg - I love a good creature feature, and I love sharks. Doesn't matter of it's A-list or a real bomb, I love a good thriller that features my favorite marine killer. I've always considered The Meg to be Jaws 1.5...Jaws is the better movie, but The Meg brings it into the modern era.

3. Venom - Spiderman and Venom are one of my favorite hero/villain duos from when I was younger and really into collecting comics. Really enjoyed Tom Hardy in this role.

4. The Graboid - Tremors is another great creature feature that still stands the test of time. One of the best monster cult classics out there. 

5. Freddy Krueger - still the only baddie that can scare me to this day!

20230424_143249.thumb.jpg.870019f36b1a7fb9e37656815bbf97b3.jpg

My favorite villain is a difficult toss-up between Vader and Freddy K. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and I love the epic story of Luke vs Vader. But I'm also a sucker for a good fright, and Freddy still dishes that out even after all these years.

• Like 14

On 4/23/2023 at 5:38 AM, extantsrevenge said:

I'm happy to present to you our next challenge.

Challenge

giphy.gif

The Villains!

Villains.thumb.JPG.780cb96db1c9b567e4783492d3ab779b.JPG

Villains are an integral part of the entertainment world, often they are the reason why we especially enjoy a movie or series.

Without a great villain, no Hero will be able to shine.

So this week we want to give the villains the spotlight they deserve.

Please show us 5 different editions from your collection that feature  your 5 favorite villains.

Also tell us which villain is your absolute favotite and why.

- Every type of packaging is allowed.

- It is okay if the villain is not featured on the cover. If that is the case, please also include a gif of that villain.

20230425_004324.thumb.jpg.f1ee586f433ab855b7a5c24bff576978.jpg

The titular Thing is an alien that assimilates organic beings, leading to extreme paranoia about whether or not you are a Thing. Also all the creature designs are just super badass!

the thing art GIF by haydiroket (Mert Keskin)

20230425_003936.thumb.jpg.7f0adb2a77e5974585e47e595e4df4c3.jpg

Willem Dafoe's Green Goblin! Mainly in Spider-Man 1, but he's pretty awesome in NWH and can still bring that crazed energy to the role. I wouldn't complain if they brought him back again!

Willem Dafoe Spiderman GIF by hamlet

20230425_003828.thumb.jpg.313ba06eb81456e96de90e4b4888bbe4.jpg

Darth Vader is just so freaking cool, he's like the perfect movie villain. I remember having a voice changer mask from Episode 3, that and his red lightsaber.

I Am Your Father Vader GIF

20230425_003758.thumb.jpg.336563eedaeeed5e1c0a4f9dfd86ebd1.jpg

Hans Landa is just a wonderful character, he's half the reason the movie is so good. Nazi villains are pretty overdone, but here it's just perfect.

christoph waltz television GIF by Saturday Night Live

20230425_003700.thumb.jpg.a00333a98cc177e45bfcea11ed5f64c7.jpg

The Joker. Hands down my absolute favorite. The master of chaos, a dog chasing cars, such an interesting take on the classic Clown Prince of Crime. Rest in peace Heath Ledger.

heath ledger joker GIF

• Like 14

what a nice challenge @extantsrevenge!

i was considering which villains should i choose. 

firstly, i was thinikng about the best villains from my point of view like darth vader (btw, this is the BEST VILLAIN EVER), heath ledger's joker, sauron from LOTR, t-1000 from T2, alien, thanos, predator, hans gruber, hans landa from tarantino's basterds, hans from frozen etc. (btw, why are so many bad guys called hans?? 🤣) but these villains will be here multiple times and i showed most of the editions already. 

then i was thinking about different kind of villains, like bruce the white shark from jaws, asteroid from armageddon, weather (caused by people) in the day after tomorrow, church in spotlight, public in jagten (the hunt) etc. but here the villains may not be so concrete. 

so in the end i ended up with the villains that may nor appear here often and in most cases, i havent showed these films yet (i believe....): 

• owen davian played by phenomenal philip seymour hoffman from M:I 3 (the best M:I film i think)

Untitled2.jpg.c71c01bee0c802b451c125769dc810ae.jpg

• doc ock played by alfred molina from spider-man 2 as i still believe that this is the best spider-man film

Doc Ock GIF

• david harken (kevin spacey), julia harris (jennifer aniston), bobby pellit (colin farrell) from horrible bosses as most of us have some experience with these bosses/villains. and this is very funny to watch

Horrible Bosses GIF by 9go

• jordan belford played by leonardo dicaprio from the wolf of wall street who was manipulator and thief who used fraud to steal money from ordinary people. anyway, the film itself is extremely entertaining
  • idi amin played by fantastic forest whitaker from the last king of scotland. there is probably no need to talk why he is the villain, especially when he was the real person, no fictional character. and this is sad... 

IMG20230426121816.thumb.jpg.132ec3b2e4a9ed31266e57f1b6935ef3.jpg

• Like 15

• ★ Administrators ★

Some villains are angry because nobody listed them yet

skeletor-laugh.gif

Thank @bilbon, @daetilus (funny selection 👍), @TechSpec924 (great to see some Monsters here, check out our Monster Award here), @InfiniteDoors (no Star Trek villains 😲) , @guri008 great alternative selection.

Not amused about only seeing 5 new sumissions since monday.... preparing for visiting some Psychos.

silence.gif

Honestly

AdventurousImaginativeBullmastiff-max-1m

should participate, it is such a nice challenge.

Don't be so lazy and paricipate

cb8c9f54991a1ccd67969ae3b800335887e40eb6.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Challenge #30.

Thank you, @extantsrevenge.

The previous challenge was the first one that I could not meet. My subconscious has such a fine palate that I didn't have enough movies, but in a few days I'm going to prepare for the day it opens again. This will not happen again.

Now, villains. I've even too much :D

1-4.jpg

Lost (=Perdidos), TV Series. Benjamin Linus.

ab85061ab50d5561306601e0e9bade5c36132988

Rarely will you have encountered such a diabolic and deceitful being. His ability to manipulate people is that of a psychopath, bordering on that of a super villain.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Nurse Ratched.

giphy.gif

Yes, she's bad, very bad, but one of those bad ones so bad, that even when they're bad, they smile at you saying that she's just following the rules, that she's not bad. historical.

Seven. John Doe.

a92f56cfa006322540172705e6fbd89e05d966b1

This guy is not bad, he is loving, and he makes good gifts. He only wants the bad guys to pay for theirs, and the good guys to go to heaven. Or not. 

A historic play of Kevin Spacey.

Gone girl. Amy Dunne.

DearestCheerfulCrownofthornsstarfish-sma

Great movie, and great work by Rosamund Pike. This villain is very special, but perhaps he is the most realistic of all. And that makes it even more disturbing. Yes, in life there are people like that.

Star Wars. Darth Vader.

giphy.gif?w=780&ssl=1

You may not know this guy, but it's like one of us got into the wrong community instead of here. Or perhaps your family believes that you are actually on the dark side, and that your room for the Death Star. It doesn't matter, obviously he had to be here.

Additional note:

And after having completed the challenge, I want to mention villains as good, great, or historical, as Normal Bates (Psycho), a true myth for all of us; or Don Logan from (Sexy Beast), an undervalued film of which I hope to be able to buy a collector's edition one day.

I could also add some villains like Tony Montana, although I don't know if all of you will appreciate him as a villain. THe true is that there are a lot of villais that you will no take them as a villain.

But, even above all of them, there are two that seem to me as bad as they are exciting.

• Frank Underwood, from "House of Cards."

a1-1.jpg

8d0579a66626cc39cd91b6d1ec6672df06-frank

Yes, he is ready for anything. And he is bad. And he is smart. And what is better, or worse: he knows that you like him.

• Hannibal Lecter, from the 4 films and TV Series.

a1-2.jpg

The character is impressive, but I chose the Hannibal Lecter from the TV Series because he is not only a bad guy, a villain, but he has an absolutely exciting capacity for manipulating others. Only comparable to his sense of aesthetics. A character for the history.
I'm absolutely in love with this series, and I hope I can buy a collector's edition, steelbook, or whatever, one day.

• Like 11