• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, PRIAPISM said:

Ready Player One 8/10

Wow I was so damn entertained lol 

Is it a perfect movie? No it is not. It has some flaws but I really didn't care.

It is an eye-candy from start to finish and fast paced! I had a blast with this one :)

For me it was a 9/10, just sit and be entertained  :)

Upgrade: 9/10 as well. Awesome movie, one of the best so far for 2018 imo :)

• Thanks 1

Jumanji - Welcome to the jungle 7/10

Hilarious popcorn movie for a relaxing Sunday afternoon.

I liked the idea of the story and it was also responsible for the actors likeable performances. e.g. the rock had to play a teenage nerd.

I had some good laughs :)

Recommended!

Revenge 7/10

The title gives it away. The story of a girl which was raped and left in the desert to die by three men.

It is hard to watch at times as there are some pretty gory scenes! It truly deserves the rated 18.

I had a great time watching! Check it out when you can.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, PRIAPISM said:

Revenge 7/10

The title gives it away. The story of a girl which was raped and left in the desert to die by three men.

It is hard to watch at times as there are some pretty gory scenes! It truly deserves the rated 18.

I had a great time watching! Check it out when you can.

I got the German Steelbook which is uncut and yes it is truly deserving of its 18 cert ..... I don’t think I’ve seen so much crimson in a movie for long time ..... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deckard99 said:

Peppermint - 7.5/10

Jennifer Garner is very good in this movie about a soccer mom transforming herself and going all "john wick" on some baddies who done her wrong. Nothing innovative, but entertaining throughout.

mmmm Jennifer Garner. 

I'd love to get me some of that all dressed up in her Elektra outfit. 

Oh yeah!   

• Haha 1

Oldies yet goldies from me 

Jake Speed out of 5

Ultra low budget , in a way Taken before Taken with a inept Brian Mills.  4 backsides on seats for the whole move . 

With the Late GREAT John Hurt paying an ozeing slimebalk of a bad guy .

Everyone enjoying the same thing , that around here is a rare Gem .  

The new 2K restoration by Arrow is a nice , refreshing make over for an 80's fun classic. 

Raise The Titanic 4 out of 

long drawn out , still enjoyed it after not seeing it in so many years .

Set long before the weak of the Titanic was located .

A complete fantasy of bringing the Titanic back to the surface of the Atlantic Ocean. All in the name to recover a long lost mineral that may start a global arms race .

Each attempt to bring Clive Cusslers tales of NUMA and Dirk Pitt to the big screen have failed. May be one day ....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Seems to be Retro with me of late 

Time After Time 10 out of 5

Almost 40 years old and better than some of today's movies. 

H.G Wells tracks Jack The Ripper acoss time from the streets of Whitechapel to 1983 San Francisco as Jack carrys on his notoriety into our time .

A desperate game of Cat and Mouse is played for the highest stakes .

Shape Of Water 5 out of 5

A brilliant piece of Cinema ,  infinate re watch value .

Masterclass in every field . 

• Like 1

First Man - 9.5 out of 10

The best movie I have seen in 2018. Very powerful, intense, intimate, and visceral filmmaking. I was sweating through every mission even though I knew the outcome, and I got goosebumps when Armstrong left the lander to take his first steps on the Moon. After WhiplashLa La Land, and this, Damien Chazelle can really do no wrong in my mind. Ryan Gosling was a great choice to play Neil Armstrong. Claire Foy was remarkable as well.

• Like 1

Awards

• 2 weeks later...

Bohimiam Rapsody 

where to start at the beginning I guess and that is what the this movie does .

Almost impossible to fit the entire story of the group Queen into a few hours .

This does just that and does it extremely well . 

Light and dark,  love and tears 

Friends till the end .

The Live Aid Wembley Stadium recreation like everything else magnificent 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

MEG (2018) 4.5/10

I was really looking forward to this movie because a great shark movie is garantueed fun.

Well, I didn't get what I was hoping for.

The CGI was mediocre at best for 2018.

The ending was over the top. Jason Statham must be some sort of superhero.

My main conplain tho is the utterly implausible behaviour of the characters throughout the entire movie.

You would expect a at least a little respect and fear for a 25m shark.

They saw the shark destroy several ships but yet they think it is a good idea to approach him with a ship and even jump in the water to give him an injection by hand. That is just one example of many.

Realistic bahaviour = zero.

Feel free to skip this movie or at least be drunk while watching 🤣

• Like 1

Le 18/09/2018 à 11:47, larson1977 a dit :

Upgrade: 9/10 as well. Awesome movie, one of the best so far for 2018 imo :)

There are very good ideas in Upgrade, but the film clearly lacks financial means ... Too bad, it will be a 7/10 for me

• 6 months later...
On 10/27/2018 at 2:22 PM, Scary Hair said:

Bohimiam Rapsody 

where to start at the beginning I guess and that is what the this movie does .

Almost impossible to fit the entire story of the group Queen into a few hours .

This does just that and does it extremely well . 

Light and dark,  love and tears 

Friends till the end .

The Live Aid Wembley Stadium recreation like everything else magnificent 

@Scary Hair you forgot the rating on this one! 😛

Captain Marvel - 7.5/10

So this one was tough to rate. I didn't actually see it in theaters because I wouldn't really consider myself a Captain Marvel fan so I waited until it was released and grabbed the steelbook at Best Buy. While the story was pretty predictable, I have to say it was still a really well done film. Very entertaining and it's always awesome to see more female super heroes in the spot light. In terms of that, I have to say I still give Wonder Woman the edge as my favorite female super hero movie. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awards

coffee.gif good day my fellow psychos your United States friend Veum here! bullwhip.gif

Just came across this thread & I thought it would be fun to join in, alright !?

Watched last night  Brothers 9/10

with  Jake Gyllenhaal  Tobey Maguire and the beautiful Natalie Portman  !

quota

A young man comforts his older brother's wife and children after he goes missing in Afghanistan.

Spoiler

A very good and sometimes intense movie ... I absolutely enjoyed watching this amazing movie ... check it out! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sheikah said:

@Scary Hair you forgot the rating on this one! 😛

Captain Marvel - 7.5/10

So this one was tough to rate. I didn't actually see it in theaters because I wouldn't really consider myself a Captain Marvel fan so I waited until it was released and grabbed the steelbook at Best Buy. While the story was pretty predictable, I have to say it was still a really well done film. Very entertaining and it's always awesome to see more female super heroes in the spot light. In terms of that, I have to say I still give Wonder Woman the edge as my favorite female super hero movie. 👍

On Bohemian Rapsody  10 / 5 

Besotted with the whole project only move i have seen X 4 at the cinema .

I have my own sing along Blu Ray 

Put the subtitles on and get ready for the neighbour's complaints as I belt out the movie 😁🤣🤣

By the way @Sheikah GREAT TO HAVE YOU BACK

giphy-downsized.gif

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I've seen a couple of things recently and thought that I'd post them here.

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark - 7/10

All in all, it was very good.  The kids were great in it and the story was a fun mystery.  My only problems were that everything was wrapped up a bit to easily in the end and there were some questions that should have been left open - in the spirit of a horror film.  I was delighted that the gore was low - as I'm not a fan of high levels of gore.  It was deserving of the PG-13 rating and fun to bring tweens or teens to see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Blinded by the Light - 7/10

This was a very good movie with a very good cast.  Not many that you'd recognized if you're used to Hollywood films.  It does have Peggy Carter's (and Captain America's) very own, Hayley Atwell with a smallish role.  The story is about youthful passions that are awaken by popular culture.  What was astonishing to me was the message about how certain themes are timeless - whether its Bruce Springsteen (or Bono or John Lennon or Bob Dylan or Stevie Wonder or Aretha Franklin) or whomever speaks to you, music and art are powerful drivers, and the modern messages interpreted by the reader, listener or viewer is powerful and has a cause and effect reaction.  Bruce sang about the hardship of the middle and lower class (especially those with dreams and vision) and this spoke Javed (or Jared) strongly.  A couple of scenes reminded me very much of (500) Days of Summer with the blending of reality and fantasy with a couple of musical/dance sequences.

That said, the movie treated those scenes as reality and may have prospered better with tongue more in cheek as it had with (500) Days.  The strength of this movie are the relationships of family and friends.  Though you could wait until it's on Blu-ray.  There's no problem seeing it in theaters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood 

Score - 75/100 (might change after a second viewing)

This review is completely spoiler free. 

Tarantino is currently one of very few filmmakers still working today, whose films I feel warrant a trip to the theater.

It’s a very different movie from the ones that preceded it and I feel that in many ways it’s also his most personal film to date.

The movie moves along at a leisurely pace (sometimes to a fault) and you really get the feeling that the real star of the movie is the city of Los Angeles itself.

What to expect - historical accuracy be damned, Tarantino likes to rewrite events to suit his purposes and while here it may not be as blatant as in Inglourious Basterds, when you actually realize it's happening it's already too late and all hell breaks loose.

Oh, and also women's feet... lots of them!

What's changed - Tarantino has considerably reigned in his penchant for dialogue gymnastics and while the dialogue here is certainly not vintage Tarantino, I think it serves the movie well.

The meticulous attention to detail is staggering and you can clearly see all the love (and $) that went into recreating 1969 Hollywood.

The soundtrack is phenomenal - I’d even go as far and say it’s the best collection of songs QT has ever assembled.

And lastly the cast - solid work all across the board (HUGE cast - perhaps the biggest of any of his movies) with returning regulars like Kurt Russell, Bruce Dern and Zoe Bell clearly having fun with their brief cameos.

But it’s clearly DiCaprio and Pitt’s show. Pitt does what he does best and that’s being effortlessly cool. And while the majority of laughs come from him it’s really DiCaprio who once again flexes his muscles in a role that is surprisingly complex and moving.

All in all the chemistry between the two leads is great and it’s clear they’re enjoying playing off each other.

So...to sum it up, QT’s love letter to a Hollywood of a bygone era is not vintage Tarantino, could have done with a half hour trim but is a perfectly good film which I think will benefit from repeated viewings.

Edited by R1s1ngs0n
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • ★ Administrators ★

About Joker….

When I first saw the trailer I was really expecting a shit movie, thankfully that was not the case. But to be honest after all the hype and the crazy position/vote on IMDb I was now expecting something really big. It did not happen and I completely don’t get why it is so popular.

Don’t get me wrong it was a good movie, I gave it 8 of 10. A nice effort in all areas and Joaquin Phoenix certainly performed well. But it did not blew me away at any moment at all.

The movie was not able to connect with me emotionally, not really a surprise as it was about a mentally ill person that goes from only being ill to being a very bad person. That transformation was done nicely and I think the movie did a good job in capturing a realistic approach to the story. Could it happen this way, sure, why not. But is that the Joker, I don’t know, a different Joker I guess.

At one point in the movie they introduced a story element that could have ruined the complete thing for me, thankfully they did not go through with it (otherwise it would have been 1 Point).

I can live with the result but I’m pretty sure that I will not revisit the movie so much in the future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Joker - 7

I‘ve just seen it this morning and I have to say I agree with @extantsrevenge on several points, mainly that this film, for all of Phoenix’s powerhouse performance, is certainly not the masterpiece so many viewers and critics claimed it was (but IMO neither is TDK for that matter, although a very different movie).

While the nods to Taxi Driver and The King Of Comedy are obvious, this movie is infinitely less subtle in treating its subject matter. Taxi Driver’s sense of dread and slow descent into hell, as well as KoC ‘s acidic bite are nowhere to be found in this movie.

Obviously Phillips is no Scorsese but still, everything seemed to be heavy handed (the script is largely to blame) and if it wasn’t for Phoenix carrying the whole movie on his shoulders, I guess I would have given it a 6. 
Shame, as I was really expecting something special but as Nils said, it’s not a movie I expect to revisit in the near future, nor add to my steelbook collection (I might buy a nice Mondo poster, if one comes along the way).

Edited by R1s1ngs0n
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:33 PM, R1s1ngs0n said:

Joker - 7

I‘ve just seen it this morning and I have to say I agree with @extantsrevenge on several points, mainly that this film, for all of Phoenix’s powerhouse performance, is certainly not the masterpiece so many viewers and critics claimed it was (but IMO neither is TDK for that matter, although a very different movie).

While the nods to Taxi Driver and The King Of Comedy are obvious, this movie is infinitely less subtle in treating its subject matter. Taxi Driver’s sense of dread and slow descent into hell, as well as KoC ‘s acidic bite are nowhere to be found in this movie.

Obviously Phillips is no Scorsese but still, everything seemed to be heavy handed (the script is largely to blame) and if it wasn’t for Phoenix carrying the whole movie on his shoulders, I guess I would have given it a 6. 
Shame, as I was really expecting something special but as Nils said, it’s not a movie I expect to revisit in the near future, nor add to my steelbook collection (I might buy a nice Mondo poster, if one comes along the way).

It's just not good.  Roles are miscast.  Editing is choppy and takes away from the flow.  The script is stop using inappropriate language.  It's just not good outside of Phoenix's performance.  For that, I give it 1/5*

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...

Hey all,

Been a while since I've hung out around these parts but I've been itching to get back into steelbook / premium collecting so I may be around these parts more often going forward.

Anyways, I just recently saw the new Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore so I figured I'd give a quick review.

Overall score: 5/10

So I am a pretty huge Harry Potter fan as I grew up reading the books and seeing the movies as they came out. I'll always enjoy and give any movie a shot that is set in the same universe. I can't really say the Fantastic Beasts series has been a huge success for me though. While in isolation they are pretty good movies; shot well, good actors, decent story....It's just missing the "magic" that the actual Harry Potter series had. It's definitely hard to put into words. Could it be nostalgia? Possibly. All I can really say is there is definitely something missing from this series for me compared to Harry Potter itself.

That said, I still think these are worth a watch. I think Mads Mikkelsen did a good job, though I am still upset they replaced Johnny Depp. In the grand scheme of things, not a whole lot actually happened in this movie when it comes to story progression. I believe this series is supposed to be 5 movies? So they seem to be stretching out the story as much as they can. I guess another way to explain how I feel about this series would be the same way I felt about The Hobbit vs. Lord of the Rings. There was one scene in this movie where they showed Hogwarts castle itself...And I have to say that was probably my favorite part haha.

In any case - again, I think this is worth a watch, especially if your a Harry Potter fan. It's always great to visit these same universes that you love.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Awards