IGNORED

Rate The Movie You Recently Watched

Scary Hair

coffee.gif good day my fellow psychos your United States friend Veum here! bullwhip.gif

Just came across this thread & I thought it would be fun to join in, alright !?

Watched last night  Brothers 9/10

with  Jake Gyllenhaal  Tobey Maguire and the beautiful Natalie Portman  !

quota

A young man comforts his older brother's wife and children after he goes missing in Afghanistan.

Spoiler

A very good and sometimes intense movie ... I absolutely enjoyed watching this amazing movie ... check it out! 

• Like 2

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Sheikah said:

@Scary Hair you forgot the rating on this one! 😛

Captain Marvel - 7.5/10

So this one was tough to rate. I didn't actually see it in theaters because I wouldn't really consider myself a Captain Marvel fan so I waited until it was released and grabbed the steelbook at Best Buy. While the story was pretty predictable, I have to say it was still a really well done film. Very entertaining and it's always awesome to see more female super heroes in the spot light. In terms of that, I have to say I still give Wonder Woman the edge as my favorite female super hero movie. 👍

On Bohemian Rapsody  10 / 5 

Besotted with the whole project only move i have seen X 4 at the cinema .

I have my own sing along Blu Ray 

Put the subtitles on and get ready for the neighbour's complaints as I belt out the movie 😁🤣🤣

By the way @Sheikah GREAT TO HAVE YOU BACK

giphy-downsized.gif

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I've seen a couple of things recently and thought that I'd post them here.

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark - 7/10

All in all, it was very good.  The kids were great in it and the story was a fun mystery.  My only problems were that everything was wrapped up a bit to easily in the end and there were some questions that should have been left open - in the spirit of a horror film.  I was delighted that the gore was low - as I'm not a fan of high levels of gore.  It was deserving of the PG-13 rating and fun to bring tweens or teens to see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Blinded by the Light - 7/10

This was a very good movie with a very good cast.  Not many that you'd recognized if you're used to Hollywood films.  It does have Peggy Carter's (and Captain America's) very own, Hayley Atwell with a smallish role.  The story is about youthful passions that are awaken by popular culture.  What was astonishing to me was the message about how certain themes are timeless - whether its Bruce Springsteen (or Bono or John Lennon or Bob Dylan or Stevie Wonder or Aretha Franklin) or whomever speaks to you, music and art are powerful drivers, and the modern messages interpreted by the reader, listener or viewer is powerful and has a cause and effect reaction.  Bruce sang about the hardship of the middle and lower class (especially those with dreams and vision) and this spoke Javed (or Jared) strongly.  A couple of scenes reminded me very much of (500) Days of Summer with the blending of reality and fantasy with a couple of musical/dance sequences.

That said, the movie treated those scenes as reality and may have prospered better with tongue more in cheek as it had with (500) Days.  The strength of this movie are the relationships of family and friends.  Though you could wait until it's on Blu-ray.  There's no problem seeing it in theaters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood 

Score - 75/100 (might change after a second viewing)

This review is completely spoiler free. 

Tarantino is currently one of very few filmmakers still working today, whose films I feel warrant a trip to the theater.

It’s a very different movie from the ones that preceded it and I feel that in many ways it’s also his most personal film to date.

The movie moves along at a leisurely pace (sometimes to a fault) and you really get the feeling that the real star of the movie is the city of Los Angeles itself.

What to expect - historical accuracy be damned, Tarantino likes to rewrite events to suit his purposes and while here it may not be as blatant as in Inglourious Basterds, when you actually realize it's happening it's already too late and all hell breaks loose.

Oh, and also women's feet... lots of them!

What's changed - Tarantino has considerably reigned in his penchant for dialogue gymnastics and while the dialogue here is certainly not vintage Tarantino, I think it serves the movie well.

The meticulous attention to detail is staggering and you can clearly see all the love (and $) that went into recreating 1969 Hollywood.

The soundtrack is phenomenal - I’d even go as far and say it’s the best collection of songs QT has ever assembled.

And lastly the cast - solid work all across the board (HUGE cast - perhaps the biggest of any of his movies) with returning regulars like Kurt Russell, Bruce Dern and Zoe Bell clearly having fun with their brief cameos.

But it’s clearly DiCaprio and Pitt’s show. Pitt does what he does best and that’s being effortlessly cool. And while the majority of laughs come from him it’s really DiCaprio who once again flexes his muscles in a role that is surprisingly complex and moving.

All in all the chemistry between the two leads is great and it’s clear they’re enjoying playing off each other.

So...to sum it up, QT’s love letter to a Hollywood of a bygone era is not vintage Tarantino, could have done with a half hour trim but is a perfectly good film which I think will benefit from repeated viewings.

Edited by R1s1ngs0n
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • ★ Administrators ★

About Joker….

When I first saw the trailer I was really expecting a shit movie, thankfully that was not the case. But to be honest after all the hype and the crazy position/vote on IMDb I was now expecting something really big. It did not happen and I completely don’t get why it is so popular.

Don’t get me wrong it was a good movie, I gave it 8 of 10. A nice effort in all areas and Joaquin Phoenix certainly performed well. But it did not blew me away at any moment at all.

The movie was not able to connect with me emotionally, not really a surprise as it was about a mentally ill person that goes from only being ill to being a very bad person. That transformation was done nicely and I think the movie did a good job in capturing a realistic approach to the story. Could it happen this way, sure, why not. But is that the Joker, I don’t know, a different Joker I guess.

At one point in the movie they introduced a story element that could have ruined the complete thing for me, thankfully they did not go through with it (otherwise it would have been 1 Point).

I can live with the result but I’m pretty sure that I will not revisit the movie so much in the future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Joker - 7

I‘ve just seen it this morning and I have to say I agree with @extantsrevenge on several points, mainly that this film, for all of Phoenix’s powerhouse performance, is certainly not the masterpiece so many viewers and critics claimed it was (but IMO neither is TDK for that matter, although a very different movie).

While the nods to Taxi Driver and The King Of Comedy are obvious, this movie is infinitely less subtle in treating its subject matter. Taxi Driver’s sense of dread and slow descent into hell, as well as KoC ‘s acidic bite are nowhere to be found in this movie.

Obviously Phillips is no Scorsese but still, everything seemed to be heavy handed (the script is largely to blame) and if it wasn’t for Phoenix carrying the whole movie on his shoulders, I guess I would have given it a 6. 
Shame, as I was really expecting something special but as Nils said, it’s not a movie I expect to revisit in the near future, nor add to my steelbook collection (I might buy a nice Mondo poster, if one comes along the way).

Edited by R1s1ngs0n
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:33 PM, R1s1ngs0n said:

Joker - 7

I‘ve just seen it this morning and I have to say I agree with @extantsrevenge on several points, mainly that this film, for all of Phoenix’s powerhouse performance, is certainly not the masterpiece so many viewers and critics claimed it was (but IMO neither is TDK for that matter, although a very different movie).

While the nods to Taxi Driver and The King Of Comedy are obvious, this movie is infinitely less subtle in treating its subject matter. Taxi Driver’s sense of dread and slow descent into hell, as well as KoC ‘s acidic bite are nowhere to be found in this movie.

Obviously Phillips is no Scorsese but still, everything seemed to be heavy handed (the script is largely to blame) and if it wasn’t for Phoenix carrying the whole movie on his shoulders, I guess I would have given it a 6. 
Shame, as I was really expecting something special but as Nils said, it’s not a movie I expect to revisit in the near future, nor add to my steelbook collection (I might buy a nice Mondo poster, if one comes along the way).

It's just not good.  Roles are miscast.  Editing is choppy and takes away from the flow.  The script is stop using inappropriate language.  It's just not good outside of Phoenix's performance.  For that, I give it 1/5*

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...

Hey all,

Been a while since I've hung out around these parts but I've been itching to get back into steelbook / premium collecting so I may be around these parts more often going forward.

Anyways, I just recently saw the new Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore so I figured I'd give a quick review.

Overall score: 5/10

So I am a pretty huge Harry Potter fan as I grew up reading the books and seeing the movies as they came out. I'll always enjoy and give any movie a shot that is set in the same universe. I can't really say the Fantastic Beasts series has been a huge success for me though. While in isolation they are pretty good movies; shot well, good actors, decent story....It's just missing the "magic" that the actual Harry Potter series had. It's definitely hard to put into words. Could it be nostalgia? Possibly. All I can really say is there is definitely something missing from this series for me compared to Harry Potter itself.

That said, I still think these are worth a watch. I think Mads Mikkelsen did a good job, though I am still upset they replaced Johnny Depp. In the grand scheme of things, not a whole lot actually happened in this movie when it comes to story progression. I believe this series is supposed to be 5 movies? So they seem to be stretching out the story as much as they can. I guess another way to explain how I feel about this series would be the same way I felt about The Hobbit vs. Lord of the Rings. There was one scene in this movie where they showed Hogwarts castle itself...And I have to say that was probably my favorite part haha.

In any case - again, I think this is worth a watch, especially if your a Harry Potter fan. It's always great to visit these same universes that you love.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Awards

8 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Hey all,

Been a while since I've hung out around these parts but I've been itching to get back into steelbook / premium collecting so I may be around these parts more often going forward.

Anyways, I just recently saw the new Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore so I figured I'd give a quick review.

Overall score: 5/10

So I am a pretty huge Harry Potter fan as I grew up reading the books and seeing the movies as they came out. I'll always enjoy and give any movie a shot that is set in the same universe. I can't really say the Fantastic Beasts series has been a huge success for me though. While in isolation they are pretty good movies; shot well, good actors, decent story....It's just missing the "magic" that the actual Harry Potter series had. It's definitely hard to put into words. Could it be nostalgia? Possibly. All I can really say is there is definitely something missing from this series for me compared to Harry Potter itself.

That said, I still think these are worth a watch. I think Mads Mikkelsen did a good job, though I am still upset they replaced Johnny Depp. In the grand scheme of things, not a whole lot actually happened in this movie when it comes to story progression. I believe this series is supposed to be 5 movies? So they seem to be stretching out the story as much as they can. I guess another way to explain how I feel about this series would be the same way I felt about The Hobbit vs. Lord of the Rings. There was one scene in this movie where they showed Hogwarts castle itself...And I have to say that was probably my favorite part haha.

In any case - again, I think this is worth a watch, especially if your a Harry Potter fan. It's always great to visit these same universes that you love.

🥤🤠 howdy @Sheikah, I ‘ve ordered this from Zavvi (like the cool look of this steel :)) and I’ve not watched any of Harry Potter, so what can I expect from this blind buy? 🤔 

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore 4K (Blu-ray)

Professor Albus Dumbledore knows the powerful Dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald is moving to seize control of the wizarding world. Unable to stop him alone, he entrusts Magizoologist Newt Scamander to lead an intrepid team of wizards, witches and one brave Muggle baker on a dangerous mission, where they encounter old and new beasts and clash with Grindelwald's growing legion of followers. But with the stakes so high, how long can Dumbledore remain on the sidelines?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Veum said:

🥤🤠 howdy @Sheikah, I ‘ve ordered this from Zavvi (like the cool look of this steel :)) and I’ve not watched any of Harry Potter, so what can I expect from this blind buy? 🤔 

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore 4K (Blu-ray)

Professor Albus Dumbledore knows the powerful Dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald is moving to seize control of the wizarding world. Unable to stop him alone, he entrusts Magizoologist Newt Scamander to lead an intrepid team of wizards, witches and one brave Muggle baker on a dangerous mission, where they encounter old and new beasts and clash with Grindelwald's growing legion of followers. But with the stakes so high, how long can Dumbledore remain on the sidelines?

That's a nice looking steel!

As for it being a blind buy - have you not seen the first two Fantastic Beast movies? I'd say you'd definitely want to see those two before watching this one. Harry Potter on the other hand you do not need to watch to see this series as Harry Potter takes place in another time period. There are some connecting threads that you would take notice of if you have seen Harry Potter though. Dumbledore is obviously one prominent character that is in both series.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awards

Just now, Sheikah said:

That's a nice looking steel!

As for it being a blind buy - have you not seen the first two Fantastic Beast movies? I'd say you'd definitely want to see those two before watching this one. Harry Potter on the other hand you do not need to watch to see this series as Harry Potter takes place in another time period. There are some connecting threads that you would take notice of if you have seen Harry Potter though. Dumbledore is obviously one prominent character that is in both series.

Yeah I’ve been contemplating getting these in 4K… but waiting for some price $$ drops! 🤔

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald 4K (Blu-ray) Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 4K (Blu-ray) Temporary cover art

1 minute ago, Veum said:

Yeah I’ve been contemplating getting these in 4K… but waiting for some price $$ drops! 🤔

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald 4K (Blu-ray) Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 4K (Blu-ray) Temporary cover art

Well if you aren't able to find any price drops before you get the third movie - I believe both are on HBO Max if you are subscribed to that. Same with the whole Harry Potter series. Would definitely recommend watching those too if you haven't! The first movie starts off pretty innocent / slow but is wholesome. Second movie gets a little darker, then from the third movie onward they get progressively darker as the cast gets older.

I have to say it's pretty rare to find someone who hasn't seen Harry Potter! I feel like it's one of the all time great movie series that really does a fantastic job of sucking you into the amazing world it creates. Similar to Lord of the Rings world building.

• Thanks 1

Awards

4 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Well if you aren't able to find any price drops before you get the third movie - I believe both are on HBO Max if you are subscribed to that. Same with the whole Harry Potter series. Would definitely recommend watching those too if you haven't! The first movie starts off pretty innocent / slow but is wholesome. Second movie gets a little darker, then from the third movie onward they get progressively darker as the cast gets older.

I have to say it's pretty rare to find someone who hasn't seen Harry Potter! I feel like it's one of the all time great movie series that really does a fantastic job of sucking you into the amazing world it creates. Similar to Lord of the Rings world building.

😛 yeah I’m one of them… just took a looksy at my collection and I have this unopened and not watched 😂 

Harry Potter: The Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)

The Office Reaction GIF by NETFLIX

• Haha 1