IGNORED

What did you watch last night???

Basil

Haven't popped in here for a while but nice to see @Veum keeping this thread alive 🙂

I've watched several films lately:

Limitless

The Assistant

American Gangster

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

The Nice Guys

Spring Breakers

The Gentlemen

Can't Hardly Wait

Most of them mainstream films but, believe it or not, all were first time viewings. I enjoyed most of them, one surprised me, and one I absolutely hated. I'll leave it at that. Too many films to post trailers and give my thoughts on each. 👍

• Like 3

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ I think it's pretty much recognized, that this film fell short of the mark.

What disappointed me however, was what they could have done with Gort, given the CGI tech available.

Alas, a wonderful opportunity wasted in order to focus on the "message".

Not the silly cartoon idea of nuclear war catastrophe...dude, that's so 50's!

But the unmistakable horror of Global Warming.

global-warming.png

At least Keanu's wooden acting style served well...playing essentially a robotic stylized Alien.

And, though I LOVE Jenny Connelly to death, she doesn't breathe the same oxygen as Pat O'Neal.

Still, yes I bought it. I even enjoyed parts of it.

But I can't mention those parts, or you'll think me a sell out...😉

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

🥤🍿🤠🎬📽️🎞️🎥📺💽:)

image.jpeg.2d01052b0202f1acb01fc8f6c050a706.jpeg

Amelia (AFI Award winner Essie Davis, Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, The Slap) is a single mother plagued by the violent death of her husband. When a disturbing storybook called Mister Babadook turns up at her house, she is forced to battle with her son's deep-seated fear of a monster. Soon she discovers a sinister presence all around her. A chilling tale of unseen and otherworldly horror in the haunting tradition of The Orphanage, Jennifer Kent's visceral journey into the heart of fear itself is as terrifying as it is believable.

• Like 2

^^ This was a hard film for me to put a manageable handle on.

That itself, inclines it toward a more interesting romp than the average fare.

I think my initial issue was, trying to identify focus with a specific character.

The Boy was crucial to story development but the Mother was key in relating why things were in fact happening.

This is a noteworthy endeavour, as just when you think you've got a plan figured out, the rug gets pulled 'cause "nope, that ain't it!".

I very much enjoyed this film. I personally would have keyed down the emotional roller-coaster the child exhibits but in hindsight, I suppose it fits the objective of displaying him without control when it was needed most.

My Second Sight edition should be landing soon and I'm excited to spool this up again.

Of course, ymmv....😉

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Grendel said:

^^ This was a hard film for me to put a manageable handle on.

That itself, inclines it toward a more interesting romp than the average fare.

I think my initial issue was, trying to identify focus with a specific character.

The Boy was crucial to story development but the Mother was key in relating why things were in fact happening.

This is a noteworthy endeavour, as just when you think you've got a plan figured out, the rug gets pulled 'cause "nope, that ain't it!".

I very much enjoyed this film. I personally would have keyed down the emotional roller-coaster the child exhibits but in hindsight, I suppose it fits the objective of displaying him without control when it was needed most.

My Second Sight edition should be landing soon and I'm excited to spool this up again.

Of course, ymmv....😉

Hey @Grendel I really enjoyed this “psychological horror” film 🎥 & I thought the little boy & the lady did a real good job. I had hoped we would/could of seen the Babadook character even more… they could have really made this more scary with the monster bringing more subtle scares for me. 😳 

I was disappointed when I read that the Director would not make a sequel (she also has the rights to this film & will/would not allow another film going forward ☹️), I think they could have done a really decent follow-up ala The Conjuring world! ;)

I tried to find a book of this film 🎞 but another disappointment in that one was not made. 😔 

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

Hi @Veum my Buddy;  🙂

It's perfectly natural to want 'more' of something that satisfies us, much as they say "ya can't eat just one" when it comes to a delicious potato crisp.

I feel it's quite honourable though on occasion, when a creator states that a subject they have strong feelings toward, be given the integrity of a single project that therefore will not suffer from the derisive fallout that sequels frequently provide.

I'm sure there are a number of titles that come to mind for you that in hindsight, makes you wish they had stopped at 'one and done' or at most, one sequel before the door gets closed and locked.

- Predator

- Alien

- Die hard

- Matrix

and a host of others.

In one aspect at least, I admire the steadfast convictions of the creator to say "look, this is a great story that doesn't provide opportunity for dilution, leave it the hell alone!".

Could a more fleshed out story line be developed that extends the concept? Possibly, but Hollywood (and those influenced by it) are not known, especially as of late, for providing sequels that meet expectations, being far more renowned for bathos in their efforts.

New and exciting stories are welcome and with luck, they may even provide the same interest as Babadook did.

I'm anxious to see if they can do so. 🙃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Black Widow

image.thumb.jpeg.38b6d30dc9fb807b134b2b726ace8593.jpeg

First things First…. Let’s not forget how much of a Marvel Head I am.

So having FINALLY watched this after over a years wait and having digested this, my one liner review is this….

”Entirely Pointless Movie”.

Sure, it’s decent enough, It gave Scarlet a pay day (or not seeing as she’s suing Disney) & it gave all us MCU fans something to look forward too. But… not up to standard and pointless I am afraid.

I don’t want to say too much due to spoilers knowing many people will still be waiting to see this, but don’t get your hopes up. Just felt like the main aim of the whole release was to get the post credit clip into the wider story line, which in itself plays into the Disney+ series and not the MCU.

Officially my least fav of all of the MCU so far (Still better than most DC releases though 😂).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Thanks for sharing your thoughts wrt "Black Widow" @Pbsw23, greatly appreciate your candid thoughts.I won't labour the point as to why but I do agree with your assessment this film was too late to matter and even what they did provide, was lack-luster story wise.

Some of the decisions made throughout more than once made me think...wait, what? How the hell is that even possible?

Alas, as I think many are aware, the film was released just to plug an old hole and the story holds no context on future developments.

I bet it made a truck-load of cash though!   🥳

I think the general populace is far less interested in how plots develop and more on the BANG! CRASH! BOOM! lately. Whatever feeds the eyes with coloured candy does just fine. Mikey Bay depends on that attitude and I suspect, Marvel is leaning that way as well.

I suppose we'll see, with their future outings, heh. 😉

Interesting you've elected to jump on the "Twilight" franchise @Veum  😀

Personally, I don't think these are at all healthy films for their targeted audience, impressionable young Teen and Tween girls, as the relationship(s) developed are not exactly the best for displaying the actions becoming of a strong, well focused young lass. Now some may argue, that's the point, however Bella does not "grow" nor does she develop reputable attributes by series end. So, what's the take-away?

I asked my G-D some time ago, if she would like me to pick the series up for her and she just laughed.

Not even remotely interested.  🤣

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Grendel said:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts wrt "Black Widow" @Pbsw23, greatly appreciate your candid thoughts.I won't labour the point as to why but I do agree with your assessment this film was too late to matter and even what they did provide, was lack-luster story wise.

Some of the decisions made throughout more than once made me think...wait, what? How the hell is that even possible?

Alas, as I think many are aware, the film was released just to plug an old hole and the story holds no context on future developments.

I bet it made a truck-load of cash though!   🥳

I think the general populace is far less interested in how plots develop and more on the BANG! CRASH! BOOM! lately. Whatever feeds the eyes with coloured candy does just fine. Mikey Bay depends on that attitude and I suspect, Marvel is leaning that way as well.

I suppose we'll see, with their future outings, heh. 😉

Interesting you've elected to jump on the "Twilight" franchise @Veum  😀

Personally, I don't think these are at all healthy films for their targeted audience, impressionable young Teen and Tween girls, as the relationship(s) developed are not exactly the best for displaying the actions becoming of a strong, well focused young lass. Now some may argue, that's the point, however Bella does not "grow" nor does she develop reputable attributes by series end. So, what's the take-away?

I asked my G-D some time ago, if she would like me to pick the series up for her and she just laughed.

Not even remotely interested.  🤣

You have got to remember @Grendel Twilight is just a fictional Vampire 🧛‍♀️ saga not a Teen Tween primer 😂 

Kristen Stewart looked marvelous then, however now for me not so much.

I’m sure I’m in the minority but I’m looking forward to Robert Pattinson’s Batman! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

^^ I personally think Pattinson is a pretty good actor, actually.

He held his own against a true veteran, Dafoe in "The Lighjthouse"  but he also proved his chops in "Lost City of Z", with Charlie Hunnam, a show I VERY much enjoyed.

As for "Twilight", to my knowledge, it was very much a Tweeny focused show so, that's fine. I think it sucks but as some Starlets would emphasize..."it wasn't made for me"...

😉

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Grendel said:

Spot on @Grendel 👍🏼

Just my opinion, but there’s a reason Falcon, Hawkeye & even Agent Coulson never got a stand alone movie but have (or in Hawkeyes case, is getting) a TV series. When a “mere mortal” starts doing super hero things and is apparently “unkillable” then it just loses so much credit. Don’t get me wrong, we are talking about super hero movies here so it’s all BS, but it makes it laughable rather than entertaining. This why I am not a Bond/Borne/Neeson fan. 

My best example of this is Dom Torretto smashing his arm/collar bone and gasping for air following flipping his Charger (complete with roll cage I may add) in the first Fast & Furious, but seemingly becomes super human as the franchise rumbles on, able to drive flimsy plastic cars out of sky scrapers or crash within & walk unharmed out of the flames of a huge exploding air craft. 

But back to Black Widow, where the Hell was this “Other Family” when Thanos rode into town with his hordes? Not one of them wanted to help poor Natasha out despite seemingly forming a tight team, that could take down a long standing spy institution & army with a plan formulated in what was literally seconds😂 

The more I think about it, the more I am let down by the Genius that is Kevin Feige on this one.

• Like 1

Assignment Terror (Blu-ray)

Aliens from a dying world plot to conquer earth by praying on man's superstitions. Bringing two dead scientists (Michael Rennie and Karin Dor) back to life, they use their knowledge to re-animate various earth monsters, including the werewolf Waldemar Daninsky, Frankenstein's monster (both played by Jacinto Molina), the mummy Tao-Tet, and the vampire Count de Meirhoff.

• Like 1

175494_medium.jpg?t=1551624885

This real-life version of The Exorcist includes all the ghost-story hooks -- flying objects, blood messages burned into flesh, Latin phrases, screaming obscenities and church skeptics. While Father Bowdern sees saving a boy possessed by the devil as a "moral imperative," the archbishop is more concerned about the church's public reputation. A terrifying movie, made all the more frightful because it's real.

• Like 2

81503_medium.jpg?t=1393915087

Abbott and Costello meet Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde

Slim and Tubby are American cops in London to study police tactics. They wind up in jail and are bailed out by Dr. Jekyll. Jekyll has been murdering fellow doctors who laugh at his experiments. He has more murders in mind. At one point the serum that turns Jekyll into the murderous Hyde gets injected into Tubby.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2021 at 5:49 PM, Veum said:

image.jpeg.4f88a501c0a4340deaf4c5d7f8d07246.jpeg

In Italy, a woman becomes involved in a series of unauthorized exorcisms during her mission to discover what happened to her mother, who allegedly murdered three people during her own exorcism.

I quite enjoy this movie.

• Like 1

image.jpeg.137b42840704509a7b8efddbeb0f5740.jpeg

Searching for his missing sister, Clay Miller heads up to the eerie woods of legendary Crystal 
Lake, where he stumbles on the creaky remains of rotting old cabins behind moss-covered 
trees. And that's not the only thing lying in wait under the brush. Against the advice of police 
and cautions from the locals, Clay pursues what few leads he has in the search for his missing 
sister, Whitney, with the help of Jenna, a young woman he meets among a group of college 
kids up for an all-thrills weekend. But they are all about to find much more than they 
bargained for. Little do they know, they've entered the domain of one of the most terrifying 
specters in American film history -- the infamous killer who haunts Crystal Lake, armed with a 
razor-sharp machete... Jason Voorhees.

• Like 2