What did you watch last night???

Basil

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Evening @Veum😀

Whilst I'll admit, I do have a warm spot in my heart for some of Full Moon's productions, it's not a lengthy list and I'm afraid the entire "Subspecies" franchise fails to appear on it.

Though not necessarily 'bad' films, they are most assuredly "B" Productions not far removed from the quality of the "Puppet Master" and "Demonic Toys" series'.

Interesting concept, two brothers, one Bad one Good, fight to control their estate and surrounding citizenry, interrupted by the appearance of "outsiders" (aka cute girls).

Perhaps pick up the 1st if you're so inclined to check it out and that will give you a feel for the others.

Some of Chuck Band's that I would recommend, include;

- Doctor Mordrid: (which you have)

- Pit & The Pendulum: (which I think you have)

- Trancers series: ( with Tim Thomerson as Jack Deth!)

Dark Angel: (very good indeed, with a very hot Angela Featherstone)

- Meridian: ( Bands own take on Beauty and the Beast but quite well done, with a gorgeous Sherilyn Fenn [who was in "Interceptor" with Charlie Sheen] )

- Laserblast: ( one of those "so bad it's good!" fliks)

- Robot Wars: ( actually pretty bloody good sfx for its' time), and finally

- Haunting Of Morella:  quite a good spooky ( with David McCallum and a red hot Nicole Eggert)

Hopefully you can track down some of those my friend. 😉

Cheers!

Edited by Grendel
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Ryan🙂

I absolutely enjoyed "I Saw The Devil" and was fortunate enough to grab the PA release (1/4 slip Steel with Director's sig).

It was scalding hot on release and went VERY quick (no surprise).

As for the PSH films you mentioned, I was fortunate it getting the Nova spec ed of "Before...Dead" and again, thought it was outstanding.

I see the amaray ed is still available.

I have not seen "Doubt" and as the subject material does not interest me, I probably won't.

Cheers my friend.

😀

• Like 1

🥤🍿🤠🎬📽️🎞️🎥📺💽:)

159686_medium.jpg?t=1621110484

The Revenge of Frankenstein

Peter Cushing reprises his famous role as Baron Victor Frankenstein in this horror classic. Rescued from the guillotine by his devoted crippled assistant Fritz, the Baron relocates and becomes Dr. Stein. Under the guise of charity work, he continues his gruesome experiments, this time transplanting Fritz's brain into his latest creation: a normal, healthy body. 

• Like 3

🥤🍿🤠🎬📽️🎞️🎥📺💽:)

Amazon Prime Video

The Nordic Murders 

The Mother and daughter team, Karin Lossow, former district attorney and Detective Chief Superintendent Julia Thiel investigate criminal cases on the contemplative Baltic Sea island of Usedom. But their personal relationship is put to a permanent hard test, as in the heat of the moment several years ago, Karin killed Julia's father…

Episode 1: Murder House - Chief Inspector Julia Thiel doesn't know whether a dead man is a murder victim, is an accidental death or has…

81dSYXJ4zFL._SX268_.jpg

Episode 2: The Blemish - Julia and a Polish colleague team up to investigate a case when the body of a local from Usedom is found in a Polish…

dfd8278d351eaff93ca3f56516c3cfd44986d3e9

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Veum said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Hope you enjoyed this good film @cgbaxia, I did 🙌

I really enjoy these strong women roles i.e. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Atomic Blonde, Lucy, SALT, Revenge, Red Sparrow, etc.! 👊

Yes I did enjoy it. The script and the fast paced dialogue was real good.  Also I'm going to check some of those movies. 

• Like 1

As far as 'horror' films go, I'd like to see some future efforts put toward Folk Horror, which I think never gets stale, as it covers our vast array of ancestral fears (i.e. see Severin's latest  effort,  "All the Haunts Be Ours").

Of course, many are more accepting of the usual tropes;

- Vampires

- Zombies

- Possession

- Slashers

But I think a stronger look at both urban and rural myths and legends could succeed well also.

For example, "Get Out" was a truly innovative film and although I did not particularly care for the political messaging it ascribed, I understood it and did not dismiss the film because of it, so of course I bought the gorgeous EB edition because it's a very good film.

"The original "Candyman" was also excellent and I very much appreciated the different style it provided ( not sure about the new one...yet).

I thought "A Quiet Place" though some may argue, is more sci-fi oriented, was an excellent demonstration of the 'horror' of being up against inescapable odds.

I think the Witches genre itself could do with a resurgence.

Films like "The Craft", "Witches Of Eastwick", some of the Japanese 'Yokai' legends and others.

"The Green Knight" is a very nice change of pace and I do hope it turned out well.

Anyway, don't want to ramble on but just a few thoughts I considered sharing.  🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Grendel

Agree that folk horror needs more attention. One of my favorite movies that's so underrated is the crucible with Daniel D. Lewis, although not really a horror film but still a good witch movie. You mention politics in get out but I would say it's not political, at least not in a way that subscribes to a agenda or one way or the other. Film is about telling stories and sharing experiences, if it has happened and if it's real then it should be told regardless if you want the hard truth which is a theme that is heavy in the new candyman film, which I thought was brilliant. Get out is about a type of racism that is very prevalent in today's america and its systemic and liberal racism that most people dont understand, they just think racism is hating another group of people for there skin color but it's not just that. Theres a huge possibility that u may not like candyman because its heavy on the racial themes but nothing in the movie is untrue it's a story that needs to be told whether people want it or not. Also almost every good film is political and has messages.

Exp.

1.memories of murder- police corruption and brutality.

2.fight club- toxic masculinity and the demasculation of men through modern capitalism and consumerism.

3.joker- the failure of our health care system and class separation disregarding mental illness and overall lack of respect and love for oneanother.

4.the suicide squad- blind patriotism and neo conservatism that puts us in wars that we're the cause of, through corruption and killing innocent people along the way exp. " the rebel camp scene"

SO I find it funny when get out or candyman gets called "woke" but these films dont. By the way this isnt an attack on you I'm not saying that you think its "woke" I'm just ranting about the crap I see in america among movie goers. Notice I said movie goers not film fans lol.

• Like 2

Awards

I purchased the 1st of the "Chucky" fliks.

It's not a subject matter that really grabs me but I wanted to buy that one, simply because I ADORE the insanity that Brad Dourif brings to ALL his outings.

I was not disappointed at all. 😉

Never purchased any of the follow-ups but I certainly acknowledge their charm and commend those that do.

• Like 2

Spoiler
4 minutes ago, Grendel said:

I purchased the 1st of the "Chucky" fliks.

It's not a subject matter that really grabs me but I wanted to buy that one, simply because I ADORE the insanity that Brad Dourif brings to ALL his outings.

I was not disappointed at all. 😉

Never purchased any of the follow-ups but I certainly acknowledge their charm and commend those that do.

@Grendel I definitely enjoy the “CHUCKY” films, the imagination/special effects/smart writing does not happen enough for me! :)

I have an affinity toward these “possessed” dolls for some reason! 😆 🔪 

• Like 2