ksosk

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am 9.7.2021 um 19:10 schrieb Fortis93:

Haha, apologies, mate. 

I never got the excellent UHD Club editions for the BR films, so I was kind of hoping to see other classic movies get the same care and attention. 

I'm not kidding when I say I would pay really good money if such an edition ever materialised. 😄

Oh... don't be too hard on the poor guys from UHD Club my fellow Psychos...

Because after all  they only went for the second and third worst poster !!! :D

Or can you imagine the following (officially used!!) two designs - apparently created for the Indian and Thai markets respectively - as the new edition...?

1276263000_Bildschirmfoto2021-07-11um23_31_31.thumb.jpg.e366961712f985ba6c03d1a541723b75.jpg  344063054_Bildschirmfoto2021-07-11um21_21_33.jpg.6910a54443512a93cf9ed3583f17cf17.jpg

But wait - even deeper nightmares are possible... because this one from Poland 

821128136_Bildschirmfoto2021-07-11um23_34_41.thumb.jpg.477786fc84ce05b5e420cddcc581722c.jpg

or - my absolute favorite: - from Ghana (!), probably used for a local video release, would even make a scarier box ...

401445836_Bildschirmfoto2021-07-11um23_34_09.thumb.jpg.ac3f0c9510d4e2ae51e955da9918eef8.jpg

(In my opinion, best suited to make the toenails curl up... ) 

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

But all joking aside - I too am rather disappointed with the motif - because even if an artwork has already been used by various manufacturers, in my opinion it is the end result that counts - and with a classic like "Jaws", for which a simply iconic design was created, one should leave it at that - and strive for the most attractive result possible.

In light of the absolute brilliance UHD Club achieved on BR and BR 2049, this sadly looks like a pitiful step back.

(Anyway - it is my unalterable opinion, that both "Jaws" AND (!) E.T. would have deserved an evaluation as a Wooden Box - and I don't accept the argument of current difficulties with suppliers - Movies of this class deserve nothing less than the best possible presentation - and justify time delays for the release date in any case, because the real collector - though always impatient - waits just as long as necessary if his desired edition-dreams come true at last. 

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Back To The Humor:

In fact I do hope that our friendly Shark manages to eat the girl before the Box is delivered... 🙃 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, F.M.S said:

even if an artwork has already been used by various manufacturers, in my opinion it is the end result that counts

If you reuse artwork (thor WeET, Interstellar manta) people get mad that its reused, if you dont reuse artwork, people get mad that it's not the best arwork. Theres no pleasing some people

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• ★ Administrators ★
8 minutes ago, Intentcoin said:

If you reuse artwork (thor WeET, Interstellar manta) people get mad that its reused, if you dont reuse artwork, people get mad that it's not the best arwork. Theres no pleasing some people

Very true! I already have both the HDZeta and FA editions, so something a bit different is appreciated. Still, a lot of folks seem to enjoy these debates, maybe just for the fun of it.

• Like 2

• ★ Administrators ★

Here's a few of my favorites that I hear over and over 😜

1. The back should be the front!
  2. The front should be the back!
  3. I hate having no title on the front!
  4. I hate having a title on the front!
  5. They should have used...(insert unapproved fan art here)
  6. The fullslip art would be better as a lenti!
  7. The lenti art should have been a fullslip!
  8. All editions should be fullslips! (for my buddy @Intentcoin 😉)
  9. pass!
  10. easy pass!
  11. hard pass!
  12. multi-pass!

fifth element multipass GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

22 minutes ago, deckard99 said:

9. pass!
  10. easy pass!
  11. hard pass!
  12. multi-pass!

Pretty much every movie forum in a nutshell 

No one has ever said number 6 though, and if they have, they're wrong

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, deckard99 said:

9. pass!
  10. easy pass!
  11. hard pass!
  12. multi-pass!

13. Every edition is awesome! There's just no pleasing people.

is mine. 😉

Edited by Fortis93
  • Like 3

• ★ Administrators ★

Here it is in a nutshell from a non UHD collector.

The HDz slip is the best so far. Superb colour and depth in the lenti.

The FAC one has more goodies and a good lenti, but looks washed out colour wise. Most consider the back as the best bit.

So, the fact that UHD are using something completely different is a very good idea in my opinion. 

Folks are probably right that a classic film like this deserves a wooden box, but it will be a great release without it. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Intentcoin said:

Is it?

Not saying there aren't people you're not able to please, but I also think it's possible to strike a balance between using a design that's an extension of or builds on original artwork while also finding a new and interesting wrinkle or angle (which admittedly can be hard).

Sometimes it's not a simplistic either/or situation.

And I guess that's the challenge a lot of these retailers have when coming up with such designs.

• Like 4

@Intentcoin And once again, I'll reiterate that I'm not knocking the design. For me personally, it's not bad. And I actually really like the alternate artwork UHD Club has gone with for the E.T. release.

However, I can understand where a lot of people here are coming from.

Yes, there are a plethora of licensing and legal hoops that these retailers have to jump through, but when you consider the price of such editions, the editions of this film that are already out there, and the fact that a special set was originally planned, well, I can understand why some would be let down.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Fortis93 said:

@Intentcoin And once again, I'll reiterate that I'm not knocking the design. For me personally, it's not bad. And I actually really like the alternate artwork UHD Club has gone with for the E.T. release.

However, I can understand where a lot of people here are coming from.

Yes, there are a plethora of licensing and legal hoops that these retailers have to jump through, but when you consider the price of such editions, the editions of this film that are already out there, and the fact that a special set was originally planned, well, I can understand why some would be let down.

Thanks for the heads up. Was not aware Beaty Shots for E.T. Had been released. 

Will go heck them out.

Am 12.7.2021 um 04:21 schrieb Intentcoin:

Am 12.7.2021 um 04:32 schrieb deckard99:

Very true! I already have both the HDZeta and FA editions, so something a bit different is appreciated. Still, a lot of folks seem to enjoy these debates, maybe just for the fun of it.

My dear Members and Administrators,

I wasn't aware that humor should be banned from this Forum (and I know it isn't).

But Okay - we take the matter seriously (for once and only once... 😉)

Well You are right, that sometimes it may be boring to read all theses "easy Pass"-Messages...

But on the other hand, sometimes I get the feeling that anybody who does not shout "Hail Freedonia" (sorry Groucho) whenever a Manufacturer releases a new Edition, seems to have crucified Jesus a second time .

Because neither HDZeta (most releases I absolutely adore and own) nor UHD Club (most releases I totally adore but wasn't lucky enough yet to own all of them) are gods you have to sacrifice no matter what they do to avoid being sent to a medieval hell...

First of all I did not send my comment just for the fun of criticizing - and I am definitely not "some people" - I just have preferences.

And in the end, taste should always be a question of personal preference - by the way -  I am sure that this also reflects Your understanding.

Of course I can understand that collectors who already have different editions of the same motif appreciate a change.

But one could counter that not every collector wants to own all available editions from all manufacturers and that it is important for this collector to own a version that uses elements that are also those preferred by the makers of the respective film (just think of the strict guidelines that Christopher Nolan always sets for releases) - in most cases, these artistic elements correspond to the "essence" of the film.

What I wanted to point out is not, what images are used on front or back of a product - but - Jaws - and also E.T. - are outstanding classics for me and for many other film enthusiasts  ( as is "Blade Runner").

"Jaws" is not regarded as a cheap copy of its own (like some of the sequels). In my humble opinion the front picture the Outer-Box evokes exactly that cheap feeling (By the way - I don't even think that this will apply to the rest of the edition.... !)

In Contrast to Jaws the Box-Artwork of E.T. is not bad at all - but again - for me - does not transport the movies general feeling, that is reflected in the coulor-schemes that were officially used for this motion picture.

In the Movie's end scene - the spaceship emits a rainbow upon the starlight-sky. Brilliant lights on dark background - contrasts like these are also shown in all official Posters.

Again - the Outer Box of E.T. is a nice artwork, but for me the color scheme transports the feeling of a scented room spray (sweet floral ) and does not correspond neither to the general look that was created by Steven Spielberg nor to the feelings the movie evokes in me.  

It must be added, however, that everything else of this edition IS carried precisely by this essence, the Outer Box misses.

To conclude - up to now, the design-practice of UHD Club (ESPECIALLY for the Outer box) has been characterised by the use of artwork elements that reflected the Filmmakers primary choice and transported the aforementioned "essence" of the particular Movie - and (except for some asian films) they also mostly practiced a noble, clean "look" (for example no complete Motif on the Spine, as this is typical for cheap Amaray-Artworks) - this practice can be seen consistently in almost all publications to date, as with

• The Matrix Trilogy
  • The Prestige
  • Dunkirk
  • Interstellar
  • Blade Runner
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • The Last Emperor
  • Indiana Jones

So - to put it in (my) nutshell - my disappointment is therefore simply based on the feeling that there is a break with UHD Club's Outer-Box Design tradition for iconic Blockbusters, which I have never experienced in any Edition they released before - and I just hope, that this does not herald the end for such Designs as the (yet to be released...) noble Indiana Jones box set ... and isn't it a certain design consistency that collectors just trust in a particular manufacturer?

So, having got rid of this, I can drop back to tongue-in-cheek comments... 9_9

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, F.M.S said:

I wasn't aware that humor should be banned from this Forum (and I know it isn't).

Well You are right, that sometimes it may be boring to read all theses "easy Pass"-Messages...

But on the other hand, sometimes I get the feeling that anybody who does not shout "Hail Freedonia" (sorry Groucho) whenever a Manufacturer releases a new Edition, seems to have crucified Jesus a second time .

Because neither HDZeta (most releases I absolutely adore and own) nor UHD Club (most releases I totally adore but wasn't lucky enough yet to own all of them) are gods you have to sacrifice no matter what they do to avoid being sent to a medieval hell...

First of all I did not send my comment just for the fun of criticizing - and I am definitely not "some people" - I just have preferences.

And in the end, taste should always be a question of personal preference - by the way -  I am sure that this also reflects Your understanding.

Of course I can understand that collectors who already have different editions of the same motif appreciate a change.

But one could counter that not every collector wants to own all available editions from all manufacturers and that it is important for this collector to own a version that uses elements that are also those preferred by the makers of the respective film (just think of the strict guidelines that Christopher Nolan always sets for releases) - in most cases, these artistic elements correspond to the "essence" of the film.

What I wanted to point out is not, what images are used on front or back of a product - but - Jaws - and also E.T. - are outstanding classics for me and for many other film enthusiasts  ( as is "Blade Runner").

"Jaws" is not regarded as a cheap copy of its own (like some of the sequels). In my humble opinion the front picture the Outer-Box evokes exactly that cheap feeling (By the way - I don't even think that this will apply to the rest of the edition.... !)

In Contrast to Jaws the Box-Artwork of E.T. is not bad at all - but again - for me - does not transport the movies general feeling, that is reflected in the coulor-schemes that were officially used for this motion picture.

In the Movie's end scene - the spaceship emits a rainbow upon the starlight-sky. Brilliant lights on dark background - contrasts like these are also shown in all official Posters.

Again - the Outer Box of E.T. is a nice artwork, but for me the color scheme transports the feeling of a scented room spray (sweet floral ) and does not correspond neither to the general look that was created by Steven Spielberg nor to the feelings the movie evokes in me.  

It must be added, however, that everything else of this edition IS carried precisely by this essence, the Outer Box misses.

To conclude - up to now, the design-practice of UHD Club (ESPECIALLY for the Outer box) has been characterised by the use of artwork elements that reflected the Filmmakers primary choice and transported the aforementioned "essence" of the particular Movie - and (except for some asian films) they also mostly practiced a noble, clean "look" (for example no complete Motif on the Spine, as this is typical for cheap Amaray-Artworks) - this practice can be seen consistently in almost all publications to date, as with

• The Matrix Trilogy
  • The Prestige
  • Dunkirk
  • Interstellar
  • Blade Runner
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • The Last Emperor
  • Indiana Jones

So - to put it in (my) nutshell - my disappointment is therefore simply based on the feeling that there is a break with UHD Club's Outer-Box Design tradition for iconic Blockbusters, which I have never experienced in any Edition they released before - and I just hope, that this does not herald the end for such Designs as the (yet to be released...) noble Indiana Jones box set ... and isn't it a certain design consistency that collectors just trust in a particular manufacturer?

IMG_20210525_104256.jpg.b13632f9410f77994669edd8d0632aaf.jpg

• Haha 7

• ★ Administrators ★
35 minutes ago, F.M.S said:

• The Matrix Trilogy
  • The Prestige
  • Dunkirk
  • Interstellar
  • Blade Runner
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • The Last Emperor
  • Indiana Jones

No offence was intended. Many members gave opinions on the artwork (both positive and negative) and I was not referring to anyone in particular. Having seen the same basic art used multiple time already, my own opinion is that something different would be good, but I can totally understand why many don't like what was revealed so far. Earlier I posted about the many constraints that retailers face. I guess we'll see what happens.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, deckard99 said:

No offence was intended. Many members gave opinions on the artwork (both positive and negative) and I was not referring to anyone in particular. Having seen the same basic art used multiple time already, my own opinion is that something different would be good, but I can totally understand why many don't like what was revealed so far. Earlier I posted about the many constraints that retailers face. I guess we'll see what happens.

Im not sure there's enough negativity for UC to change there mind about the artwork but is it a possibility?, Or is it final final lol.

• Haha 3

Can I tell everyone something?

Too bad I'm going to, I am so excited to add jaws and E.T. UHDC to my collection when they release. Absolutely beautiful and pinnacle editions will be delivered I have no doubt about that. Thanks MPs for the opportunity to snag such incredible editions.

I personally love the digipaks(like 2001 S.O.) I know these will be heavy and stunning in hand.

That is all

Edited by xSNAKExPLISSKENx
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

What I appreciate about UC is that they have the guts to not go the safer route but to use uncontional images. Of course some images will not do well like this one ( it's a risk after all) but you have to respect their commitment. Imagine they would use the standard artworks for Gladiator or The Prestige.

Of course every customer has the right to be disappointed about the choice this time. You will often see me criticize UC but I think that IN GENERAL it is a good thing that UC decides to spice it up and try to be different from other retailers. They often look for unique artworks and have new ideas, see their Wooden Boxes or Digipak hard boxes.

In the Euro 2020 Ronaldo shot 3 penalties and all went in. But there will come a day on which he will miss the penalty. But that doesn't mean he shouldn't have taken the penalty in the first place. If you know what I mean.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1