New Anime Blu-ray Release Topic

extantsrevenge

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not the biggest fan of Black Clover, as Asta's shrill screams made bagpipes sound good.

My Grand-Daughter though, apparently finds his antics fall off your chair and pee your pants hilarious.

So it was with mixed blessing I discovered Funi has finally elected to put all the episodes into full seasonal boxes.

S-1 ( with ep 1-51) is up for pre-order now and surprisingly for a change, the much better deal is with Amazon.ca

Amz.com = $72Usd

Amz.ca = $70 Cdn (which = $50 Usd).

(note: I have no idea if Amz.ca is shipping out of Canada. Hell, lately they are not even shipping Blu-rays IN Canada!)

Planned release date: 26 May '20 ; so a bit of time for prices to fluctuate yet. I've placed an order in regardless, for my little one.

Black Clover: Season 1 [Blu-ray]

Edited by Grendel
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure some of you are familiar with Konosuba?

Pretty much the funniest of the Isekai ( well, except for possibly "Isekai Quartet", heh)

Well finally, looks like us NA shlubs are getting a release, courtesy of Discotek ( aka Eastern Star).

S-1 + OVA coming available on (planned) 26 May '20 ($33 Usd)

note: so far I've only seen it advert on RightStuf though...

I'll keep ya posted.  🙂

875707012720_anime-konosuba-season-1-blu-ray-ova-primary.jpg?resizeid=5&resizeh=1000&resizew=1000

Edited by Grendel
  • Thanks 1

Another series that many consider really great, from the early 2000s;

Inu Yasha: Set 1 ($36 Usd)

Coming from VIZ, and available from RightStuf ( though I've heard Amazon may be getting it).

This ones not out until (planned) mid July but I'm certainly looking forward to it.  🤩

edit: Amz.com has it listed at $28Usd today (18 Apr).

782009245506_anime-inu-yasha-set-1-blu-ray-primary.jpg?resizeid=5&resizeh=1000&resizew=1000

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

^^ Gorgeous release @Steelbook_Movielover, as anticipated. 🤩

I'm rather upset that Ive Ent. couldn't include a 4K disc in the beautiful Box set we got through Kimchi as they were only a couple months apart for release.

But licensing seems to be a chaotic game in this industry so I suspect there was money reasons involved.

I'm sure I'll eventually order this so will keep watch on how sales progress but I'm in no panic.

Did you buy it @Steelbook_Movielover ?

• Like 4

• ★ Administrators ★
18 hours ago, Steelbook_Movielover said:

I am also disappointed that the 4k was not in the kimchi edition. However, I have not yet bought the 4k, but this will undoubtedly come

Yeah it was a little sad, but even without the 4K the Ive/Kimchi Set is awesome 😍. I did buy the 4K see my new arrivals. But I don't know yet when I will watch. I saw it last year because the movie plays in 2019 😄, but now I'm really curious to see if the 4K will have a better picture.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2020 at 9:23 AM, extantsrevenge said:

Yeah it was a little sad, but even without the 4K the Ive/Kimchi Set is awesome 😍. I did buy the 4K see my new arrivals. But I don't know yet when I will watch. I saw it last year because the movie plays in 2019 😄, but now I'm really curious to see if the 4K will have a better picture.

Have you watched the 4k edition in the meantime? I read on several forums that the 4k offers no added value whatsoever than the regular Blu-ray. It seems that the image quality of the regular Blu-ray is even better than the 4k. Can you confirm this?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• ★ Administrators ★
39 minutes ago, Steelbook_Movielover said:

Have you watched the 4k edition in the meantime? I read on several forums that the 4k offers no added value whatsoever than the regular Blu-ray. It seems that the image quality of the regular Blu-ray is even better than the 4k. Can you confirm this?

I have not seen this yet. Oh man that would be sad, but on the other hand not very surprising. I'm really wondering how animation is even supposed to look better if the lines are already at 100% 🤔. I watched the new Japanese Gundam NT Blu-ray recently and the image is perfect (at least for my eyes), so I believe any upgrade to 4K simply doesn't make sense or will improve anything.

But I have to wait until I have really compared a movie on both formats. Maybe I should simply check out some scenes 🤔

• Like 2

Indeed, seems we still have issues with some pics showing up and some not. 😕

Regarding Akira 4K, @Steelbook_Movielover and @extantsrevenge, I too have been reading some reviews stating that not only is the 4K rendition not superior to the Blu but because of some of the 'digital enhancements' made by Q-Tec, it actually even falls short of the Blu presentation.

Needless to say, due to the price of the item, there's a few folks upset out there. I've since delayed my intent to purchase.

As far as pricing for anime goes @Veum, unfortunately they are the most highest priced items in the entire Blu-ray market and standard editions can easily rival the price of Premiums for other films.

Interest and fan devotion to this style of media may be growing by leaps and bounds but the manufacturing industry for providing the films is not and we often still rely on the long-toothed wholesalers like; Aniplex, Sentai, Madman, Discotek, Viz, Sunrise, Dynit and a few others.

Funimation is the biggest NA releasing agent but their shtick is mass quantity and often at the expense of quality.

It pays to be insightful on what's available and look for deals.

Of course, anyone who chases anime without owning a region-free player, is also putting themselves at a large disadvantage.

Is there any good news on the horizon?

Well yes, actually.

As exposure to and love for anime continues to grow, we are getting many titles that in the past were quite difficult to obtain outside Japan.

In some instances, we are even getting simultaneous releases in Europe and NA.

Also, the premium edition market is getting less pricey than it was not too long ago, as many folks were simply buying unadorned and standard releases due to hysterical pricing.

Again, you gotta be plugged in and know where to look for the sales.

- Amazon

- Anime-On-Line

- Sentai

- RightStuf

and a host of others, frequently have sales. I receive their "newsletters" by email, for the purpose of keeping track of these.

A recommended practice that can save you serious coin...🙂

edit: btw, I didn't forget Tokyo Otaku Mode (aka; TOM) I left them off my list here for a reason. Though they are my go-to for figures and sometimes Manga, their Blu-ray selections leave a great deal to be desired and all of it is over-priced if you are not a "Member".

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 4

So, I was considering some new titles this year.

And it got me thinking of what anime coming out on Blu this year am I most anxious to pick up?

So here's a (relatively) short list of what I'm looking at purchasing in 2020 🙂 (and why);

- Weathering With You. So it's been a topic we've been bantering about for a bit so I do want to say that yes, I'll assuredly pick this up as I' quite fond of Makoto Shinkai's works. I doubt I'll spring for the Japanese Limited ed. as it is not English friendly but with the love "Your Name" received, I'm sure we will see a few LEs out in the wild. 🙂

- Berserk (orig) (Anime Lmtd): Steelbook, because of course.

- Samurai Champloo (orig) (Anime Lmtd): Steelbook, because of course.

- Vampire Hunter D. (orig) (Sentai): The Steelbook, because reasons...

- JoJo #6, Golden Wind: 'Cause it's JoJo. They've changed the packaging for this release though and I'm NOT impressed. There may be an LE to follow but if not, there's a LOT of peeved JoJo fans out there right now.

- Demon Slayer S-1: Unfortunately, another 'Aniplex' release only (so far) in NA, so I may once more need to import the Madman UK version due to Aniplex's price point.

- Kaguya-Sama S-1: same again, only Aniplex so far. (for those unaware, Aniplex has the best quality anime vids on the market, as they are Japanese quality clones. Problem is, they price point them equivalent, to prevent reverse importation, so they are needless to say pricey).

- Cells At Work S-1: another Aniplex only title in NA. Again, may import the VIZ UK ed.

- Promised Neverland S-1: another Aniplex title, see a trend here?

- Armoured Troopers Votams, Ultimate Collection (Maiden Japan):  about friggin' time! It's only SD on Blu but still, been a long time since last dvd release and this will include ALL the OVA's as well as the running 52 episodes. An older mech series for older die-hards but still a strong fan fave.

- Demon City Shinjuku (Eastern Star/aka Discotec): I missed the 1st round for this, I won't miss the second. More old school goodness by Yoshiaki Kawajiri (vinyl LP is avail at "Tiger Labs").

- Revue Starlight S-1 (Sentai): strong Madoka vibes from this so may need to grab this series.

- Ninja Scroll (series) (Eastern Star): not as good as the film, by a long shot but still a worthy pick-up.

- Inuyasha (S-1) (VIZ): absolutely mandatory.

- Konosuba (S-1) (Eastern Star): see above.

- Mob Psycho 100 (S-2) (Funi): one of the best Shonen to come out in a few years. Love S-1.

- Overlord (S-2) (Funi): I was intentionally ignoring this series, then saw a couple episodes. I'm in...

- Clannad (full series) (Sentai): Steelbook. Can't walk past this, just hoping the price drops a wee bit...

So these are just the new Blu-ray releases of 2020 I'm looking at. Lot's of new titles just airing as well that have me excited! 🤩

For older pick-ups I've been neglecting;

- Fate series.

I can't neglect mentioning that though I swore off buying into the Fate franchise for a very long time, I may not be able to ignore it much longer. Aniplex has just released a re-print of both Fate: Zero and Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works . They're Aniplex, which of course means 2nd mortgage on the house but hey! Hung for a lamb, hung for a sheep, right? 🥴

Also, I've been trying really hard, to ignore the Monogatari series but that's becoming more difficult as time progresses. That's black-market Kidney time though so, we'll see...

Lots more of course my friends but at this time I'd like to put the query out to you folk, on mentioning some titles you are looking forward to grabbing this year.

You don't need to be as long winded as me, just listing them would be great! I'd love some new suggestions!

Cheers mates!  🤗

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 3