IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

17 minutes ago, 45Caliber said:

There are many factor involved in setting up your 4K properly. Just ask @xSNAKExPLISSKENx who got a top-of-the-line OLED the other night and after calibrating said the difference is (in his words) “face-melting”.

@45Caliber, I've not calibrated mine (I do not know how redface.gif), however it looks fine to me umm.gif... I'm definitely not as nit-pic as most though hide.gif!

@Veum bullwhip.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Veum said:

@45Caliber, I've not calibrated mine (I do not know how redface.gif), however it looks fine to me umm.gif... I'm definitely not as nit-pic as most though hide.gif!

@Veum bullwhip.gif

Calibration can make a world of difference. Also, turning off bone-headed factory default settings (like image smoothing) as well as activating ones that should be on but aren’t always (like HDR)!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@DodgyDave they are supposed to be working on a 3d and 4k with outglasses and i guarntee you it will turn up when 4k sets have reached peak selling.

also regarding imax 3d alot of cinemas are dropping the 3d element i went earlier in the year and it was a non 3d showing and was told imax in the UK have dropped 3d side of things and even checked the net to find its bloody well true, reason being imax in its opionon have found 3d showings sell less than a regular non 3d.

stupid barstewards also on the up side if likes of odeon only buy non 3d version reckon is cheaper for them, but ticket prices dont go down do they.

price rise via the back door.

yet america still has plenty of imax 3d 🙄

basil :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Veum said:

@45Caliber, show me the way (I'm so not tech savvy)! icon_razz.gif

It’s a good idea for a topic as you're surely not the only one that just watches out-of-the-box. I’d start with search Google for your specific TV model to get baseline settings and calibrate from there for your specific light conditions. There are calibration kits that run from expensive and complicated to cheap and basic. The latter should be fine for most.

• Thanks 1

• ★ Administrators ★
52 minutes ago, Basil said:

@DodgyDave they are supposed to be working on a 3d and 4k with outglasses and i guarntee you it will turn up when 4k sets have reached peak selling.

That’s exactly what they should be doing.

I would suggest they pull their finger out. My friends in the retail trade tell me 4k has not really taken off in the way manufacturers had hoped. Which probably explains why they keep touting 8K and now the bloody ridiculous 16k. 

I’ll pray to the many faced God, that my 3D TV keeps going until a “modern” 3D/4K alternative is made. 

Hopefully they’ll make 46” ones too. Can’t get anything bigger above the fireplace :D

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DodgyDave said:

My friends in the retail trade tell me 4k has not really taken off in the way manufacturers had hoped.

Studios have been deliberately handicapping 4K disc releases by offering superior audio and video in their digital offerings weeks before discs hit the shelves at a cheaper price. Digital distribution is far more profitable for them, so it’s the format they’re pushing hardest.

37FC03E9-3A07-4DAA-AD01-39D7ADF8F205.jpeg.1eb55108da7b6409304b3a6451ddfafc.jpeg

• Sad 4

On 4/17/2019 at 7:56 PM, DodgyDave said:

That’s exactly what they should be doing.

I would suggest they pull their finger out. My friends in the retail trade tell me 4k has not really taken off in the way manufacturers had hoped. Which probably explains why they keep touting 8K and now the bloody ridiculous 16k. 

I’ll pray to the many faced God, that my 3D TV keeps going until a “modern” 3D/4K alternative is made. 

Hopefully they’ll make 46” ones too. Can’t get anything bigger above the fireplace :D

Yep Dave ours is a 42 inch  and the goggle box sits there quite nicely until needed .

Now sat in front of one with no room between me and it is not my idea of fun 😱😱 .

It's NOT the size that matters its what you do with it 

You know what as long  as the disks keep coming sitting in priddy slips and boxs thats good enough for me .

Just sit and look at them while I listen to the radio 

giphy-downsized.gif

🤣🤣💋💋

• Like 3

• ★ Administrators ★
10 hours ago, 45Caliber said:

Studios have been deliberately handicapping 4K disc releases by offering superior audio and video in their digital offerings weeks before discs hit the shelves at a cheaper price. Digital distribution is far more profitable for them, so it’s the format they’re pushing hardest.

37FC03E9-3A07-4DAA-AD01-39D7ADF8F205.jpeg.1eb55108da7b6409304b3a6451ddfafc.jpeg

cute-crying-gif.gif

Makes me sad, I love physical products, I don't like to spend money on thin air that can also vanish in an instant 😥

Also good morning the Easter Bunny is close 😅

giphy.gif

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, extantsrevenge said:

that can also vanish in an instant

That’s unfounded fear-mongering. You can download every title you own on iTunes and store it locally (the HD version), like say on a mirrored 6TB server.

It’s not like premium retailers will stop producing though. The discs may just be inferior to what’s included in a digital package, be it exclusive extras or AV formats; or they could not include discs at all.

They are already selling empty steelbooks at my local Best Buy for digital videogame copies. They could at least fill them with goodies though, like pop rocks and stickers.

Also, is that what Easter is like in Germany? I have a new appreciation.

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, 45Caliber said:

There are many factor involved in setting up your 4K properly. Just ask @xSNAKExPLISSKENx who got a top-of-the-line OLED the other night and after calibrating said the difference is (in his words) “face-melting”.

It is the best image I've ever seen on a screen. Absolutely stunning. But yes, you must at least do basic calibrations, i.e. never use vivid default setting. But for me it's not the extra pixels that does it, it's the HDR

Edited by xSNAKExPLISSKENx
  • Like 2

• ★ Administrators ★

Physical copies of  media will never be replaced by digital copies.

For those that just want to live their lives on their iPad or phone, they are perfect. 

Most people like to “own” things. They like the physical presence of something. 

Exactly the reason why Kindle and their ilk did not reside over the death of books, like many forecasters said. Exactly the same will be said for digital media. 

Apart from music possibly. Where portability became the important factor. 

The iPod, with its massive storage, and minute size, made it easy to carry your favourite music with you at all times.  Something the Walkman could never do. 

I can’t say I’ve yet seen some dick walking down the road watching a movie on his/her iPad. 

I’m sure they are out there though. :D

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DodgyDave said:

I can’t say I’ve yet seen some dick walking down the road watching a movie on his/her iPad.

You clearly don’t live in a metropolitan area. I see it all the time. In fact, my wife has to travel a lot and I load up TV shows for her to watch on her phone. Portability is King for people that don’t spend their lives in a dark hole and the average person has zero interest in filling their houses with shelves full of stuff they rarely watch.

• Thanks 1

• ★ Administrators ★
31 minutes ago, 45Caliber said:

You clearly don’t live in a metropolitan area. I see it all the time. In fact, my wife has to travel a lot and I load up TV shows for her to watch on her phone. Portability is King for people that don’t spend their lives in a dark hole and the average person has zero interest in filling their houses with shelves full of stuff they rarely watch.

I must say I can't see the point of watching a movie on a phone screen. Let alone an iPad screen.

When the film makers made these films I can't believe they went to all the trouble of filming with the latest cameras or even on actual film, just for people to watch on a screen the size of a fag packet. 

That's just my opinion of course.

Yes, thankfully I don't live in a metropolitan area. Which coincidentally highlights another reason why Digital Media will never be king.

Buffering. :D

• Like 4

On 4/18/2019 at 3:29 PM, DodgyDave said:

Which coincidentally highlights another reason why Digital Media will never be king.

Don't take my word for it because it's not simply an opinion, the proof is in the sales figures reported by the MPAA where Digital sales are greatly outpacing physical media year after year since they started.

• Thanks 2

• ★ Administrators ★
On 4/18/2019 at 3:31 PM, 45Caliber said:

Don't take my word for it because it's not simply an opinion, the proof is in the sales figures reported by the MPAA where Digital sales are greatly outpacing physical media year after year since they started.

😳 no wonder it gets harder and harder to sell an edition if you no longer want it. I did not expect the Digital sales to be that high already. The impact is already felt when it comes to Soundtrack CDs. I also buy tthose to my favorite movies and for some they did not even make them anymore. For example Ant-Man and the Wasp, Black Panther or Captain Marvel. Sometimes till as LP but not as CD, at least not the Scores. You can get them digital, but what is the point 😭

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, extantsrevenge said:

😳 no wonder it gets harder and harder to sell an edition if you no longer want it. I did not expect the Digital sales to be that high already. The impact is already felt when it comes to Soundtrack CDs. I also buy tthose to my favorite movies and for some they did not even make them anymore. For example Ant-Man and the Wasp, Black Panther or Captain Marvel. Sometimes till as LP but not as CD, at least not the Scores. You can get them digital, but what is the point 😭

I don't like this one bit. I'm not all against digital. Use forms of it myself daily but physical media will always be the own for me. Just hopefully it sticks around as much as we want it too 😁😁

• Like 3