IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 30.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all,

Thought I'd stop in & chat up some genre/movie goodness (maybe tv shows you like?) in the "English room."

So I'll start with some of my fav genres that are "some subtle horror", i.e. The Universal Monsters, Hammer, The Exorcist (not so subtle, but great nonetheless!), etc., Westerns, i.e. The Outlaw Josey Wales, Hang 'Em High, TGTBTU, etc. some Christian films, i.e. The Passion of Christ, The Ten Commandments,  The Robe, etc (I'm right now in my "Resurrection" mode through April in watching films, so far I've seen Samson, the newer version of Ben-Hur, Paul Apostle of Christ, Risen, etc.,... I want to get the 4K version of Risen when/if it comes down in $$ & wish all of these were in 4K, tonight's viewing the magnificent The Robe).

How about you all, what are your interest, etc.?

regards @Veum

Edited by Veum
  • Like 1

• ★ Administrators ★
2 hours ago, Veum said:

Hey all,

Thought I'd stop in & chat up some genre/movie goodness (maybe tv shows you like?) in the "English room."

So I'll start with some of my fav genres that are "some subtle horror", i.e. The Universal Monsters, Hammer, The Exorcist (not so subtle, but great nonetheless!), etc., Westerns, i.e. The Outlaw Josey Wales, Hang 'Em High, TGTBTU, etc. some Christian films, i.e. The Passion of Christ, The Ten Commandments,  The Robe, etc (I'm right now in my "Resurrection" mode through April in watching films, so far I've seen Samson, the newer version of Ben-Hur, Paul Apostle of Christ, Risen, etc.,... I want to get the 4K version of Risen when/if it comes down in $$ & wish all of these were in 4K, tonight's viewing the magnificent The Robe).

How about you all, what are your interest, etc.?

regards @Veum

My interests are mainly sci-fi and fantasy, especially the more intelligent and thought provoking kind like Blade Runner.  I have a deep love for old "classic" sci-fi too. Stuff like Logan's Run, Silent Running, Colossus: The Forbin Project, Death Race 2000, etc. Stuff that comments on mankind, society and the dangers of where we are possibly heading.

• Like 3

• extantsrevenge changed the title to This and That (General Discussion English Room)
  • ★ Administrators ★
3 minutes ago, extantsrevenge said:

I would love to see some life in English room, I never got why it is so silent in here. In the past I tried keep it alife but I failed

giphy.gif

I have the German room to watch over and they are so so active 😊, lets try to get things going in here as well

giphy.gif

@Veum @Robertm89 @Scary Hair

First order of buisiness I renamed this Topic to:  This and That (General Discussion English Room)

So let us save the patient and get more members in here 👍

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Not an english man , but here !!! 

I am more in french room of course ...

I'm not a big horror movie fan, I stayed at Scream by Wes Craven 😁

I love SF, Nolan's movies ...

I also bought a 65" 4k oled, so I really appreciate the 4k !! A real pleasure for the retina😎

• ★ Administrators ★

I don’t have fav genres now

Few years ago, I just watched action, adventure and SF movies but now, I watch movies from different genres and countries.

I remembered a couple years ago, I thought that musical movies were not done for me, but since The Greatest Showman and La La Land, I changed my mind 😊

I like old school movies too, old westerns and of course all the movies I watched when I was young, it’s always a huge pleasure to watch them again, and I try to transmit my passion to my 10 years old son 😇

Like my teammate @airwins, I’m not a big fan of horror movies, I watched some classical sometimes but that’s all.

I hope to buy 4K gears soon, I just need to convince my wife first 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• ★ Administrators ★

giphy.gif

@airwins @cypheria078 my good baguettes, thanks for visiting 👍, now we only need some native english speaking members in englisch room  😂.

I know at least one Canadian who will be a great fit @Grendel 👌

I'm also not really a big Horror Fan, some of the main stuff (Halloween, Scream, Saw, Friday the 13th sure), but most of the other stuff not so much. Especially not interested in those Devil worshiper trash stuff 😂 . But I watch almost every genre, would be a little boring if you only watch the same all the time. Sadly so much stuff I want to see out in the world, that I have a hard time catching up 🙄

• Like 2

• ★ Administrators ★

Nice try Nils. 

It would be nice if more people posted in here, but I really like the fact that the International members have a place to chat without feeling intimidated by using English all the time.

Seeing all the posts from French and German members is great. A real sense of fun in both areas.

I know John visits them from time to time. Especially the German room (obviously). ;)

As for the topic for this chat...

I prefer to be entertained by films. I'm not interested in having politically motivated thought provoking films, rammed down my throat. I like to sit back and escape reality for 1-2 hours.

With 24hr internet news, we are bombarded with worldwide problems. I don't need to see a Directors opinion on where we are going as a human race, I want to forget all my problems and be taken somewhere else. 

I particularly like things like the Marvel Universe films or DC etc. Astonishing to watch visually, and fantastical in their story. 

Unfortunately the Western genre is a thing of the past. I was brought up on a diet of them. Back when series like Bonanza and Rawhide were on TV.  John Wayne was king. 

Anyway, let's hope more folks get chatting in here. Rather than peering at their phone to do Arsebook or Twatter etc. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

• ★ Administrators ★

Yeah @DodgyDave has arrived, now the fun can start 😊

tenor.gif

I also love the energy in French and German room, so much fun, but we need it here as well, especially since the UK members have not much fun recently on the island 😜

Yes, I also want to be entertained and the Superhero genre does a good Job at that at the moment. I still watch movies on real events, sometimes because I like a certain actor/actress, sometimes because I'm interested in the story. What I find a little annoying is that we get so much movies about stuff that just happend. On the news yesterday and as a movie tomorrow 🙄. I also find it strange that every  sociopath/killer or maniac is getting a film made about them, why would we want to give them even more exposure. It is strange.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@extantsrevenge Looks like we have all tried to post topics in here....I did try a few times myself. 

So let me kick off the next topic... What do people consider to be there foremost grail purchase from collecting so far ?? Could be an edition because it's there favourites movie, something simply because it's rare or one of there first ever purchases. For me it's the batman trilogy, can't wait to receive my motherbox to finish it off.. I think as far as premium releases go it will be certainly hard to beat.. what do we think guys?? @extantsrevenge @RileyLad @DodgyDave @Scary Hair @airwins @cypheria078 

tenor (7).gif

• Like 4

• ★ Administrators ★
il y a 9 minutes, Robertm89 a dit :

@extantsrevenge Looks like we have all tried to post topics in here....I did try a few times myself. 

So let me kick off the next topic... What do people consider to be there foremost grail purchase from collecting so far ?? Could be an edition because it's there favourites movie, something simply because it's rare or one of there first ever purchases. For me it's the batman trilogy, can't wait to receive my motherbox to finish it off.. I think as far as premium releases go it will be certainly hard to beat.. what do we think guys?? @extantsrevenge @RileyLad @DodgyDave @Scary Hair @airwins @cypheria078 

tenor (7).gif

The Dark Knight Trilogy is one of my favourite release as well, I’m looking forward to get TDKR and the motherbox, it’s on the way 😊

But, I have to admit that my grail is the Batman V Superman Boxset from Hdzeta, very hard to find (like others I need), quite expensive now so the first release I spent a lot of money recently.

As Gladiator fan, I can’t forget the Filmarena edition and the Boxset from Hdzeta, the first Boxset I bought, and I will buy the incoming one soon for sure 😇

• Like 3

• ★ Administrators ★

@Robertm89 I also think that The Dark Knight Trilogy will be a crowning achievement for any collection, especially since the movies are so great. When I look at my collection and think about what the items are currently worth my FAC Wolf of Wall Street certainly fits the bill as a huge grail. But to be honest I don't think that much about which is the rarest or the most valuble item in my collection. It's more what I like most.

For example last year they finally released an english friendly Set of my favorite Anime of all time Legend of the Galactic Heroes and that is an item I would not like to miss from my collection EVER AGAIN 😍, pictures and Infos here.

• Like 4

• ★ Administrators ★

A true “Grail” has to be something that is very elusive. Something very difficult to find, thus extremely limited. 

Things like FA As Above or Steelarchive Spring. 

Only 100 copies of them. That makes them real “Grails”. As far the content goes, that’s highly debatable. As Above was a crap film. Spring was OK. 

As for things I “cherish”.. here’s one. 

Not a grail by any means. But one of the best looking slips ever made. In my opinion 😀

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@extantsrevenge @DodgyDave @cypheria078 that's one thing I love about a discussion. Different diverse answers. (Even thought we all love the dark Knight trilogy) I have so many more favourites too. I'm a massive Christopher Nolan and tarantino fan. (Even though so many people Hated on Dunkirk) I went to see it at the cinema and it was really good. @DodgyDave I have seen as above posted for some crazy amounts on eBay. Think it's safe to say I'll never own that. 

@cypheria078 I'm with you on the zeta boxes. I'm still trying to find batman v superman and wonder woman for a fair price. Just need to be patient I think. 

@extantsrevenge I have never really watched or I'm not to familiar with any Anime stuff, but I hear it's really popular. 

Maybe have to give it a go sometime. I hear ghost in a shell and Alita were based on those sort of things and I thought they were both let downs if I'm honest. Hollywood needs some fresh ideas. Take hellboy for example 1 and 2 only out not even 10 years ago and already we have a 're imagining' of the story which we really didn't need and the reviews/buzz so far has been so so bad. 

• Like 4

• ★ Administrators ★
19 minutes ago, DodgyDave said:

A true “Grail” has to be something that is very elusive. Something very difficult to find, thus extremely limited. 

Things like FA As Above or Steelarchive Spring. 

Only 100 copies of them. That makes them real “Grails”. As far the content goes, that’s highly debatable. As Above was a crap film. Spring was OK.

I have the As Above FAC, not sure if that is good as I absolutely hate that movie 😂 the only reason I keep it is so that the FAC collection is complete.... 🙄

1 minute ago, Robertm89 said:

@extantsrevenge I have never really watched or I'm not to familiar with any Anime stuff, but I hear it's really popular. 

Maybe have to give it a go sometime. I hear ghost in a shell and Alita were based on those sort of things and I thought they were both let downs if I'm honest. Hollywood needs some fresh ideas. Take hellboy for example 1 and 2 only out not even 10 years ago and already we have a 're imagining' of the story which we really didn't need and the reviews/buzz so far has been so so bad. 

I watch Anime since forever, many cool series out there but also a lot of medicore or bad stuff, as they produce an unhealthy amount of new series every 3 month 😂.

Most of the time a remake from something be it a foreign movie, series or an Anime can't live up to the greatness of the original. I'm a huge Alita Fan (have the Manga for almost 2 decades) and love the original GitS and many of the followups. The GitS Movie was okay, but it could have been so much better. I liked Alita, it was great to see her alive on the big screen, sure it had many differences to the original, but was still a good effort. My main issue was it should have been Rated R, the Manga is very violent @airwins knows what I'm talking about 👍

Anyway you should not judge Anime by the Live Action adaptaitions. A cool way to test if Anime is for you is to check out a Ghibli Movie, I made a guide here. Hayao Miyazaki is my favorite Director, the perfect Storyteller 😍

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, extantsrevenge said:

I have the As Above FAC, not sure if that is good as I absolutely hate that movie 😂 the only reason I keep it is so that the FAC collection is complete.... 🙄

I watch Anime since forever, many cool series out there but also a lot of medicore or bad stuff, as they produce an unhealthy amount of new series every 3 month 😂.

Most of the time a remake from something be it a foreign movie, series or an Anime can't live up to the greatness of the original. I'm a huge Alita Fan (have the Manga for almost 2 decades) and love the original GitS and many of the followups. The GitS Movie was okay, but it could have been so much better. I liked Alita, it was great to see her alive on the big screen, sure it had many differences to the original, but was still a good effort. My main issue was it should have been Rated R, the Manga is very violent @airwins knows what I'm talking about 👍

Anyway you should not judge Anime by the Live Action adaptaitions. A cool way to test if Anime is for you is to check out a Ghibli Movie, I made a guide here. Hayao Miyazaki is my favorite Director, the perfect Storyteller 😍

I'll have to check those out when I get a chance. Might not be for everyone but I'm always open to try something new 😁👍

• Like 1

Good Morning all coffee2.gif, I really am a HEINZ 57 icon_wink.gif w/my heritage (that is another topic I would like to explore, which I have not moneyeyes.gif, is my genealogy, would probably turn out to be quite fascinating for me) & I'm in the USA! 

giphy-downsized.gif

Since I am fairly new w/exclusives & MP (I have not rec'd my 1st official GB as of yet, I'm waiting on too many (I'm truly excited though), that I joined in March/April... rofl.gif), this is what I have received so far from (John, bless him, I can not thank him enough! icon_biggrin.gif) is TDK, TDKR, BB, Black Panther, & waiting for that beautiful "motherbox" drool.gif! & all of those GBs I'm in!!

Just like who I am, I like a plethora of films, starting from my childhood faves till my ol' man (lol) faves.

I keep somewhat of a tally so far on "that other forum" I enjoy & it is 'drum roll please' :

My collection :wow:

4K (39)

Blu-ray (2332)

DVD (1014)

I just recently invested in a 4K blu-ray receiver a Phillips bdp-7502 borat.gif (I take that back I did purchase (2) Seiki blu-ray players for only $59, & it turns out they are 4K players also, as I just recently saw on one of their boxes hide.gif), although I have not used it yet that often, as I am just now buying alot of 4K movies for my collection! thumbsup.gif

regards @Veum

• Like 4

• ★ Administrators ★
20 minutes ago, Veum said:

BTW, how many thank yous do we get in a day lol, I'm always using them up too fast?! whip.gif

@Veum bullwhip.gif

Regular Members only 10 😥, but you get unlimited with any of the Premium memberships.

Also :wow: you have a large collection already 😍, so you choose a good time to get into Premiums 😁

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, extantsrevenge said:

Regular Members only 10 😥, but you get unlimited with any of the Premium memberships.

Also :wow: you have a large collection already 😍, so you choose a good time to get into Premiums 😁

@extantsrevenge, bring me on one of those beautiful Premium memberships real soon for me! icon_wink.gif

PlatinumBanner.png.2ed093f3cb2451e83e678 GoldBanner.png.4382a4295e590af841e9a3658 SilverBanner.png.8ca8e9ed579bd493c6e626c

@Veum bullwhip.gif

Edited by Veum
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Basil said:

ann i could make a really rude commment here but i refrain xD

@Basil I have known you a flipping LONG Time , longer maybe than both of us care to think about 🤯🤯😁💋💋.

I LOVE you and any banter we have 💋💋 

Nope WE are not talking Sharon Stone 🤔🤣🤣

I'm more slap dash Sandra 🤣🤣❤❤💋💋

8 minutes ago, DodgyDave said:

Is the remake of Ben Hur any good @Veum ?

Keep thinking I might pick a copy up off eBay. 

YES Dave i enjoyed it a lot . VERY different from The Charlton Heston telling .

Fantastic cast , The retelling is with fresh eyes shall I say .

I know it got slated unfairly in my lowely  opinion .

Have a punt 👍😁💋💋

• Sad 1