IGNORED

Studio Ghibli Ultimate Blu-ray Steelbook Guide

extantsrevenge

• ★ Administrators ★

I'm a huge Anime and especially Studio Ghibli Fan, also my favorite media packaging are Steelbooks 😊. So I thought it would be fun to have a complete guide to all Studio Ghibli Movies released as a Steelbook.

I hope some of you like it. Also if you want to share other editions or simply talk about Ghibli Movies please feel free to do so.

Currently 5 countries have released Studio Ghibli Steelbooks: Australia, Germany, Italy, UK & USA.

Australia: 4 of 23 released.

Germany: 5 of 23 released (at the moment no further releases planned 😥).

Italy: 22 of 23 released (Earwig missing).

UK: 22 of 23 released.

USA: 19 of 23 released.

France has started to release the Ghibli Movies, they are only Future Paks, but I decided to include them also.

France: 20 of 23 released as Future Paks, 1 of 23 released as Steelbook.

If you click on the images it will bring you to the Individual release topics. Sadly many Steelbooks from the UK and almost all Miyazaki from Italy are already OOP.

1: Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984) (Made and released before the official founding of Studio Ghibli, I still count it as the starting point.)

Italy                                                              UK                                                                USA                               France (Future Pak)

nausicaa.jpg nausicaauk.jpg  Nausicaä - US Steelbook - Media PsychosNausicaa-de-la-Vallee-du-Vent-Boitier-Metal-Exclusivite-Fnac-Combo-Blu-ray-DVD.jpg

2: Castle in the Sky (1986)

Italy                                               UK                                        USA                                     France (Future Pak)

castle.jpg 11395576-1784452691362765.JPG Castle in the Sky - USA Steelbook - Media PsychosLe-Chateau-dans-le-Ciel-Boitier-Metal-Exclusivite-Fnac-Combo-Blu-ray-DVD.jpg

3: Grave of the Fireflies (1988)

France                                          UK                                      Italy                                      USA

Grave of the Fireflies - France SteelbookGrave of the Fireflies - Blu-ray Steelbook - Zavvi Exclusive - Media Psychos Grave of the Fireflies - Blu-ray Steelbook - ItalyGrave of the Fireflies - US Steelbook

4: My Neighbor Totoro (1988)

Australia                                       Germany                                         Italy                                       UK

totoroau1.jpg totoro1.jpg totoro.jpg totorouk.jpg

USA                                     France (Future Pak)

My Neighbor Totoro - US SteelbookMon-Voisin-Totoro-Boitier-Metal-Exclusivite-Fnac-Combo-Blu-ray-DVD.jpg

5: Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)

Germany                                      Italy                                             UK                                              USA                        France (Future Pak)

kiki1.jpg kiki.jpg kiki1uk.jpg Kicki's Delivery Service - US Steelbook Kiki-la-petite-sorciere-Boitier-Metal-Exclusivite-Fnac-Combo-Blu-ray-DVD.jpg

6: Only Yesterday (1991)

Italy                                                   UK                                              USA                                France (Future Pak)

onlyyesterday.jpg Only Yesterday - UK Blu-ray Steelbook Only Yesterday - USA Steelbook Omoide-Poroporo-Souvenirs-goutte-a-goutte-Boitier-Metal-Exclusivite-Fnac-Combo-Blu-ray-DVD.jpg

7: Porco Rosso (1992)

Italy                                                                   UK                                                                  USA                           France (Future Pak)

porco.jpg Porco Rosso - UK Steelbook  Porco Rosso - US SteelbookPorco-Roo-Boitier-Metal-Exclusivite-Fnac-Combo-Blu-ray-DVD.jpg

8: Ocean Waves (1993 TV Movie)

Italy

oceanwaves.jpg

9: Pom Poko (1994)

Italy                                                UK                                     France (Future Pak)

pompoko.jpg Pom Poko - zavvi Steelbook - Media Psychos  Pompoko-Boitier-Metal-Exclusivite-Fnac-Combo-Blu-ray-DVD.jpg

10: Whisper of the Heart (1995)

Italy                                                            UK                                                           USA                                    France (Future Pak)

whisper.jpg Whisper of the Heart - UK SteelbookWhisper of the Heart - US Steelbook  Si-tu-tends-l-oreille-Mimi-Wo-Sumaseba-Boitier-Metal-Exclusivite-Fnac-Combo-Blu-ray-DVD.jpg

11: Princess Mononoke (1997)

Australia                                           Germany                                        Italy                                                       UK

mononokeau.jpg mononoke1.jpg mononoke.jpg mononokeuk2.JPG

USA                                      France (Future Pak)

Princess Mononoke - US SteelbookPrincee-Mononoke-Boitier-Metal-Exclusivite-Fnac-Combo-Blu-ray-DVD.jpg

12: My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999)

Italy                                                UK                                          France (Future Pak)

yamada.jpg   My Neighbours the Yamadas - UK Steelbook        Mes-voisins-les-Yamada-Boitier-Metal-Exclusivite-Fnac-Combo-Blu-ray-DVD.jpg 

13: Spirited Away (2001)

Australia                                        Germany                                     Italy                                                UK

spiritedau.jpg chi1.jpg spirited.jpg 11395575-1084452691326090.jpg

USA                                      France (Future Pak)

Spirited Away - USA Steelbook - Media PsychosLe-Voyage-de-Chihiro-Boitier-Metal-Exclusivite-Fnac-Combo-Blu-ray-DVD.jpg

14: The Cat Returns (2002)

Italy                                                               UK                                                                USA                             France (Future Pak)

catreturns.jpg 11655841-7514546298627763.jpg The Cat Returns - US SteelbookLe-Royaume-des-Chats-Boitier-Metal-Exclusivite-Fnac-Combo-Blu-ray-DVD.jpg

15: Howl's Moving Castle (2004)

Australia                                            Germany                                        Italy                                                  UK

howlsau.jpg wan1.jpg howl.jpg howluk.jpg

USA                                         France (Future Pak)

Howl's Moving Castle - US Steelbook  Le-Chateau-Ambulant-Boitier-Metal-Exclusivite-Fnac-Combo-Blu-ray-DVD.jpg

16: Tales from Earthsea (2006)

Italy                                                          UK                                                     France (Future Pak)

earthsea.jpg 11655840-7604546298947422.jpg  Les-Contes-de-Terremer-Boitier-Metal-Exclusivite-Fnac-Combo-Blu-ray-DVD.jpg

17: Ponyo (2008)

Italy                                                                UK                                                               USA                             France (Future Pak)

ponyo.jpg ponyouk.jpg Ponyo - US SteelbookPonyo-sur-la-Falaise-Boitier-Metal-Exclusivite-Fnac-Combo-Blu-ray-DVD.jpg

18: The Secret World of Arrietty (2010)

Italy                                               UK                                           USA                                France (Future Pak)

arrietty.jpgArrietty - Blu-ray Steelbook - zavvi - Media PsychosArrietty - US Steelbook - Media PsychosArrietty-Le-Petit-Monde-des-Chapardeurs-Boitier-Metal-Exclusivite-Fnac-Combo-Blu-ray-DVD.jpg

19: From Up on Poppy Hill (2011)

Italy                                                 UK                                                     USA                                  France (Future Pak)

From Up on Poppy Hill - Italian Steelbook From Up on Poppy Hill - UK Steelbook  From Up on Poppy Hill - US Steelbook   La-Colline-aux-Coquelicots-Boitier-Metal-Exclusivite-Fnac-Combo-Blu-ray-DVD.jpg

20: The Wind Rises (2013)

Italy                                                UK                                           USA                                 France (Future Pak)

windrises.jpgThe Wind Rises - UK Blu-ray Steelbook - zavvi - Media Psychos  The Wind Rises - US Steelbook - Media PSychosLe-Vent-se-leve-Boitier-Metal-Exclusivite-Fnac-Combo-Blu-ray-DVD.jpg

21: The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2013)

Italy                                             UK                                          USA                             France (Future Pak)

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya - Italian Steelbook - Media Psychos The Tales of Princess Kaguya - zavvi Steelbook - Media Psychos The Tale of the Princess Kaguya - USA Steelbook - Media PsychosLe-Conte-de-la-Princee-Kaguya-Boitier-Metal-Exclusivite-Fnac-Combo-Blu-ray-DVD.jpg

22: When Marnie Was There (2014)

Italy                                            UK                                              USA                                            France (Future Pak)

marnie.jpg When Marnie was There - UK Steelbook      When Marnie was There - US Steelbook        Souvenirs-de-Marnie-Boitier-Metal-Exclusivite-Fnac-Combo-Blu-ray-DVD.jpg

23: Earwig and the Witch (2020)

UK                                          USA

Earwig and the Witch - UK Steelbook - Media PsychosEarwig and the Witch - US Steelbook - Media Psychos

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• ★ Administrators ★
28 minutes ago, nefilim said:

@extantsrevenge Red Turtle ?

No really a Studi Ghibli Film, they only co-produced and it's also from France. So I would not consider it as part of this.

Anyway, since it has a UK Steelbook, which has the same look as the other UK Ghibli, we can give it a Special mention ?

Co-Production: The Red Turtle (2016)

UK

The Red Turtle - Blu-ray Steelbook - Zavvi Exclusive - Media Psychos

• Like 2

• ★ Administrators ★
6 minutes ago, nefilim said:

Thanks. Btw - have you noticed that on UK steelbooks all titles on the side run from up to down except Spirited Away ?!

What do you mean with Spirited Away, it's exactly like all the others ? On picture and in hand copy, or do you have one with different side?

1 hour ago, extantsrevenge said:

I'm a huge Anime and especially Studio Ghibli Fan, also my favorite media packaging are Steelbooks 1f60a.png So I thought it would be fun to have a complete guide to all Studio Ghibli Movies released as a Steelbook.

I hope some of you like it. Also if you want to share other editions or simply talk about Ghibli Movies please feel free to do so.

Currently only 4 countries have released Studio Ghibli Steelbooks: Australia, Germany, Italy & UK.

Australia: 4 of 22 released.

Germany: 5 of 22 released (at the moment no further releases planned 1f61e.png).

Italy: 21 of 22 released (only Grave of the Fireflies missing).

UK: 11 of 22 released.

If you click on the images it will bring you to the Individual release topics. Sadly many Steelbooks from the UK and almost all Miyazaki from Italy are already OOP.

Man ! You make my day !

I am fan of Ghibli too and their steelbooks thank you for sharing this ?

miss Totoro and Howls Moving Castle :/ 

• Like 2

Il y a 3 heures, extantsrevenge a dit :

@nefilim that is an error 1f631.png Mine is the correct way, in fact all I had in hand were correct.

Thanks @Orion 1f44d.png The UK Version of Totoro and Howl's are really hard to find. Do you collect them sealed or open?

@extantsrevenge i prefer collect them sealed :)

yup i know that they are really hard to find, it's depending price but not so hard to catch it hahaa ...

and you , get all ? :D

Edited by Orion
  • Like 1

• ★ Administrators ★
3 hours ago, Orion said:

@extantsrevenge i prefer collect them sealed :)

yup i know that they are really hard to find, it's depending price but not so hard to catch it hahaa ...

and you , get all ? :D

I have all UK and all German, all bought at release date ? I have none of the Italian, I normally only like original title or English titel on the Steelbook. With German I can make an exception, since I'm German ? but Italian, is not so interesting for me. But when I did all the Release Topics and and this guide it somehow started to annoy me that they got all Movies in Steelbook, and that we don't have UK Versions yet. So I might get week and buy some, I have not deceided yet. I also prefer sealed only will open when I want to watch, but from most of these I have other editions.

• Like 3

• ★ Administrators ★
8 hours ago, hdblueman said:

@extantsrevenge awesome guide. 1f44d.png

Never watched a Studio Ghibli before, might have to check one out.  Do you have any recommendations?

Never watched a single Ghibli movie ? You have to change that, they are awesome.

I would start with a Miyazaki Movie. Hard to choose which one they are all great. Anyway you can't go wrong with Nausicaä, Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away, they all have so much to offer. If you have children My Neighbor Totoro is a must watch, it's so lovely. My favorite childrens Movie of all Time. If you want to watch something sad, try Grave of the Fireflies (not from Miyazaki), but be prepared the movie is so emotional and your eyes will not keep dry. The only Ghibli I don't like that much are Yamadas & Kaguya, somehow Isao Takahata deceided it would be cool to use a completely other art style on these, which I don't like.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Il y a 16 heures, extantsrevenge a dit :

I have all UK and all German, all bought at release date 1f60a.png I have none of the Italian, I normally only like original title or English titel on the Steelbook. With German I can make an exception, since I'm German ? but Italian, is not so interesting for me. But when I did all the Release Topics and and this guide it somehow started to annoy me that they got all Movies in Steelbook, and that we don't have UK Versions yet. So I might get week and buy some, I have not deceided yet. I also prefer sealed only will open when I want to watch, but from most of these I have other editions.

You are lucky @extantsrevenge ? all bought at the right time hehe ?

me i’m looking for Totoro and Howls Moving Castle ... since Australian edition was released i’m Really interested for that haha , but don’t know if Gb could be created for that ? or get them alone ...

Do you have Grave of Fireflies Zavvi ? This movie is just awesome...! Even if sadness...

But the steelbook is really beautiful and nice for complete the Ghibli ?

• Like 1

• ★ Administrators ★
59 minutes ago, Orion said:

You are lucky @extantsrevenge 1f601.png all bought at the right time hehe 1f60a.png

me i’m looking for Totoro and Howls Moving Castle ... since Australian edition was released i’m Really interested for that haha , but don’t know if Gb could be created for that 1f914.png or get them alone ...

Do you have Grave of Fireflies Zavvi ? This movie is just awesome...! Even if sadness...

But the steelbook is really beautiful and nice for complete the Ghibli 1f603.png

Since the Australian Company does not combine shipping even if more quatities (for a GB) are ordered it does not make that much sense for us to do one, since you will get them cheaper if you order direct.

Yes of course I have Grave of the Fireflies zavvi, in fact it was the release of the year for me at the moment. Sure it is not a Premium but it is my favorite Anime ever and it had no Steelbook yet, so I'm absolutely happy that they made one. So sad and powerful, but at the same time so beautiful. An absolute Masterpiece ?

• Like 1

il y a une heure, extantsrevenge a dit :

Since the Australian Company does not combine shipping even if more quatities (for a GB) are ordered it does not make that much sense for us to do one, since you will get them cheaper if you order direct.

Yes of course I have Grave of the Fireflies zavvi, in fact it was the release of the year for me at the moment. Sure it is not a Premium but it is my favorite Anime ever and it had no Steelbook yet, so I'm absolutely happy that they made one. So sad and powerful, but at the same time so beautiful. An absolute Masterpiece 1f60d.png

Me too I was so happy to see finally a steelbook version for this movie Grave of the Fireflies, the digibook is really beautiful too !

but have you noticed something on the cover of the digibook...? I will let you discover that ... but more such sadness... 

Hope one day a Premium Edition will be release for this Masterpiece as you mentioned it so well mate ?

Princess Monoke is my favorite, hope Premium for this too and Porco Rosso !!

• Like 1

• ★ Administrators ★

@Orion which edition do you mean? Picture please. I'm not that into digibooks, so I'm not sure which release you meant.

Premium releases of the Gibli Movies would be awesome, but I guess it will remain a dream. I really wish the japanese would make a Steelbook line with the original titles and really cool art.

• 2 weeks later...