IGNORED

This and That (Where Great Conversations Are Happening)

Masterblaster

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veum

• Basil

• Hollywood E Rock

• Fortis93

Top Posters In This Topic

• ★ Administrators ★
51 minutes ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

I am also pending. It's my understanding that they are still working on it. Some very quick individuals may have been able to get in at the very beginning. Basil mentioned "When we start to let people in" in that tutorial and that's where my understanding is coming from.

In the meantime, just make sure you have the proper notifications set up for your existing group buy clubs. I'm sure they'll start accepting people when they are ready.

Yes, it’s not been opened up yet for additional members.  

Many members still don’t understand the distinction between following a tab (not important) and following the topic thread under the tab (very important)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

Good morning, all. Thanks for the well wishes.

We're watching this one VERY closely. It won't hit us directly since we're on the east coast but there are a couple of scenarios where it would put us on the "dirty" side of the storm after a short jaunt across the state. My main concern is one palm tree in front of the house (~5ft away) that is diseased and has a weak point facing the house. That sucker is heavy and would do some serious damage if the winds snapped it.

I also have some family in the Tampa area so really hoping this thing weakens a bit before getting close to land

9 hours ago, CryoSteel said:

Just dropping in to wish my fellow Floridians (or anyone with family or friends in the state) the best. Looking like I might be taking a somewhat direct hit from this hurricane.

@GuyIncognit0, @CryoSteel, and any other Psychos in FL - wishing you, your families, and your friends all the best through this storm. I have family in the panhandle, Clearwater, and Orlando. No matter where it goes someone will likely get hit. Stay safe everyone!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Today I had an interesting conversation about the prices of film editions in physical format.

In Spain, in the last decade, there have been cheap prices and strong discounts to combat piracy. Until the beginning of this year it was usual to see a 50% offer from time to time,  sometimes even including new releases or preorders. But now, suddenly, it seems that many distributors are betting on more expensive prices, and the big stores have opted for not-so-aggressive offers.

I can understand that too many offers meant that, in the end, no one bought at the starting price, everyone was waiting for the 50% that always came early, and that this long-term situation means that the market doesn't work, that distributors sometimes may end up losing money.

But, at the same time, I commented that this was not the time to "tighten the rope", to get tough, and raise prices and put only lower offers.

On the one hand, there is an economic crisis, inflation, people earning less money or losing their work, and consumption in general decreases. No, it's not the best context to put pressure on the buyer. And on the other hand, films in physical format market is going through a critical, key moment, suffering a lot, and trying to survive.

It's a sector that right now we have to take great care of, pamper it.

In the middle of that conversation I remembered an interview with a successful Chinese businessman in Spain, who during the 2008 crisis said that he didn't understand the attitude of Spanish businessmen, raising prices and trying to do then that business; that the crisis is the moment to sow, not to harvest.

And yes, this is probably a time to sow. To structure a resized sector, to try to gain a necessary stability in the midst of falling sales, and the overwhelming success of streaming.

Obviously, the companies, retailers, have to pay their bills, and make their money, they are not NGOs, for sure; but, at the same time, they should think in the long term, and find a balance so as not to be disadvantaged but to promote market stability; don't keep going less. Save what is now thinking about the future. Prevent the scatter from continuing.

Even drug dealers know that, although they have the power to make a big sale to their customer, they must not do it, or they lose it; the business is to sell little by little, and that the client lasts a long time.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Casiusco said:

Today I had an interesting conversation about the prices of film editions in physical format.

In Spain, in the last decade, there have been cheap prices and strong discounts to combat piracy. Until the beginning of this year it was usual to see a 50% offer from time to time,  sometimes even including new releases or preorders. But now, suddenly, it seems that many distributors are betting on more expensive prices, and the big stores have opted for not-so-aggressive offers.

I can understand that too many offers meant that, in the end, no one bought at the starting price, everyone was waiting for the 50% that always came early, and that this long-term situation means that the market doesn't work, that distributors sometimes may end up losing money.

But, at the same time, I commented that this was not the time to "tighten the rope", to get tough, and raise prices and put only lower offers.

On the one hand, there is an economic crisis, inflation, people earning less money or losing their work, and consumption in general decreases. No, it's not the best context to put pressure on the buyer. And on the other hand, films in physical format market is going through a critical, key moment, suffering a lot, and trying to survive.

It's a sector that right now we have to take great care of, pamper it.

In the middle of that conversation I remembered an interview with a successful Chinese businessman in Spain, who during the 2008 crisis said that he didn't understand the attitude of Spanish businessmen, raising prices and trying to do then that business; that the crisis is the moment to sow, not to harvest.

And yes, this is probably a time to sow. To structure a resized sector, to try to gain a necessary stability in the midst of falling sales, and the overwhelming success of streaming.

Obviously, the companies, retailers, have to pay their bills, and make their money, they are not NGOs, for sure; but, at the same time, they should think in the long term, and find a balance so as not to be disadvantaged but to promote market stability; don't keep going less. Save what is now thinking about the future. Prevent the scatter from continuing.

Even drug dealers know that, although they have the power to make a big sale to their customer, they must not do it, or they lose it; the business is to sell little by little, and that the client lasts a long time.

Timing is everything… I literally just paid an invoice and was thinking that I am now being priced out of this hobby. Although to be honest it is the shipping fees that are killing me. It’s getting harder and harder to justify the cost of one movie, which will ultimately end up on one of the streaming platforms anyway (most of which I have a subscription with).

I do not want to give this hobby up (physical media) and I certainly don’t want to miss out on any up coming Premiums that tick my boxes, but if Everything keeps going up (Fuel, Energy, Interest rates, Groceries etc. etc,) then the Steelbooks are the first obvious saving for me to make. 😥 

• Sad 5

7 minutes ago, Pbsw23 said:

Timing is everything… I literally just paid an invoice and was thinking that I am now being priced out of this hobby. Although to be honest it is the shipping fees that are killing me. It’s getting harder and harder to justify the cost of one movie, which will ultimately end up on one of the streaming platforms anyway (most of which I have a subscription with).

I do not want to give this hobby up (physical media) and I certainly don’t want to miss out on any up coming Premiums that tick my boxes, but if Everything keeps going up (Fuel, Energy, Interest rates, Groceries etc. etc,) then the Steelbooks are the first obvious saving for me to make. 😥 

I recently updated what I've spent thus far and had a bit of a crisis of hobby. Apart from the total cost, I did notice how much the costs have gone up in just the past 2-3 years and you're right in that the shipping is the major problem. I don't think I'm going to stop anytime soon but I'm probably going to be a little more "purposeful" in my spending.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

I recently updated what I've spent thus far and had a bit of a crisis of hobby. Apart from the total cost, I did notice how much the costs have gone up in just the past 2-3 years and you're right in that the shipping is the major problem. I don't think I'm going to stop anytime soon but I'm probably going to be a little more "purposeful" in my spending.

Great minds and all that 😁👍🏼

I did the same and came to the same conclusion just before the pandemic. At one point I was receiving “goodie boxes” from MP a little too regularly 😂 I then decided to be pickier with my GB’s, but now with rising postage costs I am having to wind it back even more.

I would like to say my plan is to only focus on Marvel WEA’s from here on out, So given Disney have seemingly pulled all rights for anymore WEA’s, then I should have no issue saving the pennies! 😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

22 minutes ago, Pbsw23 said:

11 minutes ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

Yup guys prices are way out of control, that is why I’ve been limiting my purchases with one choice of the movie I’m ordering (as most of you know it is a Lenti, however just one has gone up so much in price, oyyy!!!).

Very scared with my order of LOTR though (I really only  wanted a Lenti of each film but we were not given this choice and went ahead and ordered… hind-sight I shouldn’t have ordered!)!! 😞 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

I've only been taking part in group buys for a short time, but am already learning to be cautious in what I request and not go hog-wild or double-dip (too) frivolously. It gets expensive fast, and that's particularly compounded by how quickly everything else is getting expensive. I'm not ready to quit yet - hell, I only just got started! 🤣 But yeah...this certainly ain't cheap. I also had to confess to my wife that one $$$ charge was just for shipping, and a separate $$$ charge was for one movie. I can't say she was wrong in her balking at me about it, but... what did somebody say about drugs? 

GIF by Giphy QA

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Just now, Veum said:

Yup guys prices are way out of control, that is why I’ve been limiting my purchases with one choice of the movie I’m ordering (as most of you know it is a Lenti, however just one has gone up so much in price, oyyy!!!).

Very scared with my order of LOTR though (I really only  wanted a Lenti of each film but we were not given this choice and went ahead and ordered… hind-sight I shouldn’t have ordered!)!! 😞 

If ya don't pay then....

Surprise Youre Coming With Me GIF by Hollyoaks

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, MikeH5856 said:

I've only been taking part in group buys for a short time, but am already learning to be cautious in what I request and not go hog-wild or double-dip (too) frivolously. It gets expensive fast, and that's particularly compounded by how quickly everything else is getting expensive. I'm not ready to quit yet - hell, I only just got started! 🤣 But yeah...this certainly ain't cheap

Yeah, I feel the same

I’ve been meaning to tally the cost of my collection and I’m a little nervous to see how much I’ve spent 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Veum said:

Let us all 🙏 for our fellow Floridians to be safe amongst this terrible Hurricane IAN. 😘

Wear A Mask Stay Safe GIF by Chippy the Dog

Been texting with my sister down there all aft.  Finally it's starting to slow up a bit on the coast.  But, still not out of danger.  She is a first responder and was assigned to the courthouse, she said it was swaying for about 2 hours, it creaked like crazy.   Freaky.    

Hope everyone is staying safe.

• Like 5